Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link:

[...]

In October, the Weld District Attorney and Greeley police announced the Weld County Grand Jury indicted Steve Dana Pankey, 69, who was arrested on kidnapping and murder charges. His bond has been set at $5 million, cash only. A status conference is scheduled in the case 2 p.m. Dec. 30.

[...]

Kaiser said she’s relieved for the Matthews family to get answers about what happened, but she’s unsettled by the decades Pankey remained on the loose.

“If he got away with it and it’s been this long, than how many others are there?” she asked.

Gates said police never let the case go, even as various leads died down over the years. He commended police and the district attorney’s office for their investigations and work on the case, as well as the workers who uncovered Jonelle’s remains.

“I hope for everybody’s sake the indictment comes to a positive resolution,” Gates said. “I’ve read the indictment and there isn’t too much doubt in my mind who committed the acts, but that’s not up to me.”

Status Conference is 12/30/20.

4:00 p.m. EST
3:00 p.m. CST
2:00 p.m. MST
1:00 p.m. PST

9:00 p.m. UK

and 11pm - Eastern European time...
animated-smileys-christmas-037.gif
I'll check in the morning! LOL!

Wednesday, December 30th:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ 2pm MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 24, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69) indicted (10/9/20) & arrested (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. $5M cash-only bond.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 10/28/20 reference post #751:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

10/30/20 Update: Judge Timothy Kerns told Pankey he would be held without bond for now. Pankey’s lawyer, Anthony Viorst, said he planned to ask Kerns to consider allowing him to be released on bond after a Dec. 4 hearing scheduled to weigh the evidence against him.
12/4/20 Update: Weld District Court Judge Timothy Kerns sets bond at $5M-Cash-only; GPS, surrender passport, not to leave the State without court permission (written exception), no guns, no contact with any named witnesses & victim's family. Assistant District Attorney Robb Miller asked for a $10M cash-only bond. Defense attorney Anthony Viorst challenged Miller’s evidence & said he doesn’t believe it would be admissible at trial. He said Pankey isn’t a flight risk, considering his desire to get involved with the case. Viorst asked for a bond of no more than $50,000, calling a $10 million cash-only bond “just ridiculous” & effectively no bond. Judge Kerns found there was a concern for flight risk, considering Pankey faces a possible life sentence with the possibility of parole in 25 years. Kerns agreed he didn’t want to set the functional equivalent of no bond & set it at $5 million, cash only. A status conference is set for Dec. 30 at 2pm, that will include a review of the bond amount.

Since most of my posts end up getting deleted, I'm moving over to Reddit. Feel free to read my indepth reports on this case over there. I'll still keep an eye on this thread, but I probably won't post anymore.

I'm sorry to see this! I feel you've made valuable contributions to this thread.

If Pankey wrapped her in a blanket from the Matthews' home, made her lay in the back seat of his car or sit on the floor behind the passenger seat and shot her while he was driving (maybe at a stop sign) it would explain the trajectory of the bullet, his oddly worded statement about her having died "before she crossed 10th street", him knowing there was a blanket missing and him burning the car to conceal more blood than he had been expecting the blanket to absorb.

If Pankey wrapped her in a blanket from the Matthews' home, made her lay in the back seat of his car or sit on the floor behind the passenger seat and shot her while he was driving (maybe at a stop sign) it would explain the trajectory of the bullet, his oddly worded statement about her having died "before she crossed 10th street", him knowing there was a blanket missing and him burning the car to conceal more blood than he had been expecting the blanket to absorb.

I made a video demonstrating this scenario and had posted here, but of course it got deleted. You can find it on the YouTubes by searching for JNP Films or Jonelle Matthews Reenactment. I also was interviewed on the Crawlspace podcast to talk about the case. You can find it by searching for their podcast, since again, I'm not allowed to post a link to it here.

Also, it hasn't been reported or mentioned in the indictment, that there was any blanket, etc, missing from the home. Therefore, both these statements could be presented as false confessions by the defense.

Last edited:
Do we have a timeline of Steve Pankey’s whereabouts in the 90’s? Leigh Occhi went missing from Mississippi in 1992. Her case has some similarities (differences too) to Jonelle’s. As I was reading a new post on Leigh’s case I thought of Jonelle and just thought I’d throw the idea out there.

MS - MS - Leigh Occhi, 13, Tupelo, 27 Aug 1992

SP strikes me as being "facts-obsessed", I wouldn't put it past him to have noted the intersection while driving with Jonelle.

JMVHO.

How do you know for a fact he did that?
I have seen people do unspeakable things to each other during a divorce. I would hope that a jury of my peers wouldn’t put me in prison for the rest of my life based on anything my ex husband said about me. (Although he would never say anything negative) but still you get what I’m saying.

There is another way to look at it.

A hastily organized trip, meant to create an alibi, with the dog likely being killed for that reason, wouldn't that make the spouse suspicious? Yet she proceeded to have kids with him. What if he did not leave her in 2014 after coming out of the closet? Would there still be an alibi?

We have another thread, about double murder, and a guy on the bridge, with all SM outlets asking the same, surely someone might recognize him? No one comes forward.

What happens in the minds of these close relatives?

Last edited:
Since most of my posts end up getting deleted, I'm moving over to Reddit. Feel free to read my indepth reports on this case over there. I'll still keep an eye on this thread, but I probably won't post anymore.
Very sorry.

There is another way to look at it.

A hastily organized trip, meant to create an alibi, with the dog likely being killed for that reason, wouldn't that make the spouse suspicious? Yet she proceeded to have kids with him. What if he did not leave her in 2014 after coming out of the closet? Would there still be an alibi?

We have another thread, about double murder, and a guy on the bridge, with all SM outlets asking the same, surely someone might recognize him? No one comes forward.

What happens in the minds of these close relatives?

RBBM

Some close relatives are enablers; they make excuses left and right for the perp's behavior, provide financial support. In other words, the perp's every need is met.

Others may be financially or emotionally dependent upon the perp. In SP's case, I'm thinking religion may have played a major part; she should have been more "submissive" to her husband.

I think you are correct - if SP didn't leave his wife in 2014, there would still be an alibi.

Regarding Abby and Libby's case (two murders, guy on bridge), I think the perp's relatives are still covering for him.

For those not familiar with Abby and Libby's case, please see my signature for access to the very first thread.

JMVHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members