Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's more or less what I was trying to show. It was difficult of course with not having an actual grave and doing a really half-***ed greenscreen. But yes, at the proper depth and angle, it would work and no blood should get on the shooter. She would collapse and he'd fill the hole with dirt. However, I'm not really leaning towards this idea. I just put it out there as a realistic possibility. Regardless of who the killer is, I think the backseat of the car is probably the most likely of scenarios. It requires the least amount of planning, and it's also the least heartless of the 3 options.
Thank you

To clarify my original scenario, there is little to no planning on <modsnip> part. His only objective would have been to get even w/ Ross, by killing him. That he encounters Jonelle home alone, is by pure chance. He decides to frame Ross as a last second change of plans. I think he originally planned to just abduct her, not thinking out the consequences of that action (fitting the profile of not thinking things out). After driving off w/ her tied up in the back seat, he realizes the can't let her go (because she would identify him), and decides to kill her. This doesn't really fit a pre-dug hole, so he'd probably dig the hole sometime after. It could very well be days, possibly even after he gets back from CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday, October 30th:
*Appearance on Arrest Warrant Hearing (@ 8:30am MT) – CO – Jonelle Renee Matthews (12) (went missing on Dec 20, 1984 after entering her home at 8pm, Greeley, found July 24, 2019 by construction workers at an oil & gas site in rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 & County Road 34½) – *Steven Dana Pankey (33 @ time of crime/69) indicted (10/9/20) & arrested (10/12/20 in Meridian, ID.) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, 1st degree felony murder, 2nd degree kidnapping, with sentence enhancers for using a weapon in a violent crime & 2 counts of crime of violence. Held without bond.
Info on warrant & court info from 8/18/20 thru 10/14/20 reference post # 617:
Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

10/17/20 Update: Extradition Review hearing in Idaho on 10/23/20 @ 8:30am with Deputy Public Defender Erin Johnelle. 10/23/20 Update: Pankey appeared in court Friday & an order of dismissal was placed for his fugitive to Idaho charge. He will be held without bail until the state of Colorado comes to retrieve him & return him to Colorado. 10/28/20: Was extradited to Colorado & arrived on 10/28/20. Next appearance on arrest warrant hearing on 10/30/20.

I started thinking (like Jonelle’s Sister) WHY Jonelle?????
I’d like to know if Ross’s daughter went to Franklin. Why was SP watching kids there?
Was he planning on hurting or kidnapping Ross’s daughter? Did he follow them from the concert to Jonelle’s house? Did he see Ross drop off Jonelle and think if I take her Ross would be blamed? Took a peek in windows and saw Jonelle was alone, took rake from open garage and raked his prints. I’m wondering if the door going into the house from garage was unlocked and he entered. Took Jonelle and who knows what happened from there.
Nothing premeditated just flying by the seat of his pants.
Just another possible scenario.......

I started thinking (like Jonelle’s Sister) Why was SP watching kids there?
Was he planning on hurting or kidnapping Ross’s daughter?

I would like to know HOW they know that <modsnip> was (allegedly) watching kids.

I had not thought of the possibility that Deana was the intended target. :eek: But the only issue with that, is how does <modsnip> get her away from Ross in order to make him look guilty? Unless it was just a last hurrah to get even...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Coloradoan:

GREELEY – A former longshot Idaho gubernatorial candidate charged with kidnapping and killing a 12-year-old Colorado girl who disappeared after a holiday concert more than 30 years ago made his first court appearance in the state Friday.
Steven D. Pankey went before a judge in Greeley for a brief hearing two days after being sent there to face prosecution in the killing of his former neighbor, Jonelle Matthews, in 1984. He appeared in person, wearing an orange jail uniform and a mask, standing next to his lawyer in a courtroom with limited capacity due to the coronavirus pandemic. Matthews’ parents and sister watched the proceedings remotely by video.

► Related: Jonelle Matthews cold case: Who is Steve Pankey?

Judge Timothy Kerns told Pankey he would be held without bond for now. Pankey’s lawyer, Anthony Viorst, said he planned to ask Kerns to consider allowing him to be released on bond after a Dec. 4 hearing scheduled to weigh the evidence against him.

The Coloradoan:

GREELEY – A former longshot Idaho gubernatorial candidate charged with kidnapping and killing a 12-year-old Colorado girl who disappeared after a holiday concert more than 30 years ago made his first court appearance in the state Friday.
Steven D. Pankey went before a judge in Greeley for a brief hearing two days after being sent there to face prosecution in the killing of his former neighbor, Jonelle Matthews, in 1984. He appeared in person, wearing an orange jail uniform and a mask, standing next to his lawyer in a courtroom with limited capacity due to the coronavirus pandemic. Matthews’ parents and sister watched the proceedings remotely by video.

► Related: Jonelle Matthews cold case: Who is Steve Pankey?

Judge Timothy Kerns told Pankey he would be held without bond for now. Pankey’s lawyer, Anthony Viorst, said he planned to ask Kerns to consider allowing him to be released on bond after a Dec. 4 hearing scheduled to weigh the evidence against him.
I hope he never gets bond. He's a coward - diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain - he'll commit suicide.

I don’t believe he is a violent man.

Quote RSBM (respectfully snipped by me.)

You don't think he's violent even though he's the kind of person who would "dump" the family dogs to never be seen again (according to his ex-wife?) IMO, that's just so cruel.

As far as posting your speculation, you could message the mod currently online (it will show on the homepage) with exactly what you wish to post and ask if it's within the guidelines.

You don't think he's violent even though he's the kind of person who would "dump" the family dogs to never be seen again (according to his ex-wife?) IMO, that's just so cruel.

As far as posting your speculation, you could message the mod currently online (it will show on the homepage) with exactly what you wish to post and ask if it's within the guidelines.

Thank you!

How do you know for a fact he did that?
I have seen people do unspeakable things to each other during a divorce. I would hope that a jury of my peers wouldn’t put me in prison for the rest of my life based on anything my ex husband said about me. (Although he would never say anything negative) but still you get what I’m saying.

How do you know for a fact he did that?
I have seen people do unspeakable things to each other during a divorce. I would hope that a jury of my peers wouldn’t put me in prison for the rest of my life based on anything my ex husband said about me. (Although he would never say anything negative) but still you get what I’m saying.
No one knows he did it. I don’t think LE arrested him based on just what the ex said.
IMO she probably didn’t go to police, they probably went to her. She didn’t necessarily answer questions to get back at ex but simply to be honest. And what if what she said is true, she might have always thought he had something to do with Jonelle’s disappearance. If LE come asking me questions I’m going to tell my truth.

Like we’ve done for 36 years we have to wait and see if this gets sorted out, hopefully truthfully.

IMO the other usual suspects have been thoroughly vetted by the cops, and while it is extremely rare for me to do, I defer to them. My personal feelings are irrelevant to anyone else's theories unless I'm asked.

I've seen a lot of speculation towards Ross all the way down to the teacher who called in sick. I think speculation of certain suspects is fair game here, so long as they've been put into the public domain by cops or press. People outside that are probably protected by lible laws, which is why I've never publicly posted my original theory that pointed to a heretofore unnamed citizen of Greeley.

As for what's allowed or not allowed on here, I now know you're not allowed to disparage the police. Beyond that I guess you have experiment by posting and finding out.

IMO the other usual suspects have been thoroughly vetted by the cops, and while it is extremely rare for me to do, I defer to them. My personal feelings are irrelevant to anyone else's theories unless I'm asked.

I've seen a lot of speculation towards Ross all the way down to the teacher who called in sick. I think speculation of certain suspects is fair game here, so long as they've been put into the public domain by cops or press. People outside that are probably protected by lible laws, which is why I've never publicly posted my original theory that pointed to a heretofore unnamed citizen of Greeley.

As for what's allowed or not allowed on here, I now know you're not allowed to disparage the police. Beyond that I guess you have experiment by posting and finding out.

VERY well stated. Thank you for the reminder. For me I’m waiting for the trial and hoping LE got it right.

I too have read news articles written about him, watched the televised interviews and listened to the behavior analysts on the video.

Is it just me? Am I missing something? Because based on everything I have observed Pankey does not strike me as a man of brilliant intellect who is capable of planning and executing a complex crime. In fact during interviews he appears to have an altered perception of reality and his thinking is clearly disorganized. From all reports I have read he has had difficulty maintaining consistent employment but is so delusional that he believed he could govern an entire state actually running for office with none of the necessary qualifications. And when he obviously was not elected he then turned on a dime and tried unsuccessfully to run for sheriff. Pankey’s erratic behavior seems contrary to the characteristics one would need to possess in order to be an organized killer.

I am leaning toward Occam’s Razor. The most simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Switch of gears here:
I am curious about the Sunny View Church of the Nazarene. Is anyone familiar or have knowledge of this religion? Does anyone have friends or acquaintances that attended the church in Greeley?
What's your theory then? Occam's Razor implies the simplest explanation. Nothing about this case is simple. Another theory I would love to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member