CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that an Amber Alert might become ho hum if it was overused, just like the code alerts in the airport are.

Perhaps there could be a different alert-a Kayleah alert for a missing child-whereabouts unknown. Be on the lookout.

This is such a tough one. I totally agree that something needs to be done to distinguish these cases. I am lucky (I guess you can call it that, LOL) to know and be on good terms with several people in LE from a variety of agencies and have spent the past couple of weeks really talking about and delving into the issues with MP.
The biggest problem is the sheer volume of MP/TRAK/BOL flyers they receive daily. One Lt. I talked to who works MP's for a midsize county receives an average of 15 a day for his own county alone. 99% of these are runaways and group home issues that are often solved in a day or two on there own but have to be followed up because nobody bothers to call in and let them know the person came back. He is also in charge of rape/sexual assault, crimes against children and MP's, you can kind of see which one is going to take the lowest priority generally speaking. That is just what comes in from his direct county. Then you add on to that the Wanted and MP flyers from surrounding counties and states and he literally has a weekly stack that is about 10 inches tall (I saw it, no joke). And then there are the ones that haven't even printed yet. It's up to 1 person to go through hundreds of these a week and figure out which ones are a priority and which aren't all the while working on cases and investigations for rape, child abuse, etc. It's just not humanely possible to do this effectively.
In a case like Kayleah's her age should be a trigger and should put her at the forefront, but the sad fact is that 12 yo's running away is all too common and calls are made all the time looking for them. Generally they just show back up and we never hear about it, but it's not an unusual thing at all.
With a recent autistic case I was working I was lucky enough to know someone in the next county, call them up and tell them where the MP would cross over if they did jump county lines so those areas were notified. That's not a luxury most people have. And with caseloads it's not something LE often has time for either. Very few depts have a dedicated officer to MP and/or if they do they are working a ton of cases. People were bashing the LE in the autistic case for not doing enough. In reality they had searched everywhere they could think of near his home and local haunts. They were following up on leads, but in the meantime, the detective was also prepping for two murder trials and in court on a third as well as investigating a murder the same weekend. Nothing gets to stop and he couldn't go to the court and stop that ball rolling. KWIM?
I don't see how the system will change, they are short staffed, some are working as hard as they can and some are just incompetent but either way it's the govt. and we can't change their procedures. What we can do however is learn how to make a difference as a community. In the coming weeks you will hear more from me on how this can happen. In the mean time, if someone goes missing in your area get out there and start IMMEDIATELY. The first 24 hours is critical. We are lucky on these boards, we tend to hear about things quicker than the GP. Pepper the area with flyers, talk to other community members and make sure everyone knows about the MP, go and hike areas that are open to the public and look for the person, search your own property if you live near the PLS. Do not interfere with LE but do ask what you can do, if they say nothing then take the steps above and do them. There is way more that can be done by the community than generally is.
HTH

sarx, I understand what you are saying, but how hard would it be to have a computer program set up and the info is sent out immediately to TV and radio and whatever else to announce that a child is missing in your town?

The city council can pass a law that if a child is missing and comes back and it not reported to LE, there is a fine. Just like with alarms going off at a house. There is a fine where I live. I think that it's the third time and the homeowner gets fined if it's a fake alarm.

Our city council just passed a law that if a teen is missing, there is an immediate alert, not 24 hours. That was based on a teen that has not been found.

I think it can be done.

There already is just that computer system in place. The problem is it spits out MP cases pretty much non stop.

I'm really shocked that she hasn't been found. I was hoping her family would have found out who she left with in the very beginning but I was totally wrong. So sad...Where is she? Where can this child be? Everyday I pray for her safe return. Hoping today for some good news.

IMO, her family never should have said that it's possible that Kayleah ran away.

sarx, I understand what you are saying, but how hard would it be to have a computer program set up and the info is sent out immediately to TV and radio and whatever else to announce that a child is missing in your town?

The city council can pass a law that if a child is missing and comes back and it not reported to LE, there is a fine. Just like with alarms going off at a house. There is a fine where I live. I think that it's the third time and the homeowner gets fined if it's a fake alarm.

Our city council just passed a law that if a teen is missing, there is an immediate alert, not 24 hours. That was based on a teen that has not been found.

I think it can be done.

Excellent! That is a community response in itself- concerned citizens pushing for what they want given their own unique experiences within their community.

Sarx, on the other hand I know where you are coming from- we quite literally cannot take a weekend off, without (as in yesterdays case...and many others...) coming back to half a dozen new requests for MP's that have come in over the 36 hrs we were gone. And we are private. LE has 10 times as many- we get the prefiltered and specialized versions.
It is a tough call all around, but I do feel community and grassroots response is the way to continually move forward.

JTSYS

There already is just that computer system in place. The problem is it spits out MP cases pretty much non stop.

Thanks for your insight on the LE side Sarx, good information :)

I have a question regarding Amber Alert. I admit I'm naive regarding the runaway statistics in our country....and do agree not wanting to desensitize the Amber Alert system with an overload of missing persons...but I spent the day yesterday w/ a group of 12yr old girls from all walks of life and all maturity levels. To me, even the most "mature" of the group would not stand a chance out there on her own as a runaway (without help from someone else, which is a crime in most states).

So to me...a child 12 and under who is missing for whatever circumstances (runaway, custody, etc.) should be considered seriously endangered! Between our changing society (technology, internet, what our media is teaching kids what is acceptable, budget cuts in LE, and even the way we parent these days) and the fact there are so many unregistered sex offenders and truly evil people out there, who know how to take advantage of these situations, I just have a feeling we are going to see more horrible things happen to children under the guise of "runaway". Hope I don't sound paranoid in saying this.

So would it be so detrimental to the Amber Alert to add a child 12 and under as a child in danger to the criteria?

I just can't help but feel so discouraged that it took 3 days for Kayleah's case to hit the media. moo

IMO, her family never should have said that it's possible that Kayleah ran away.

I 100% believe that Kayleah's disappearance being viewed by LE and some family as a possible runaway at first caused huge damage. BUT on the otherhand, IF a child does have a past history of running away, I certainly don't want parents lying to LE either- then when that lie is found out you have suspicion pointed at the wrong person(s) for what may be wrong reasons.

Based on the reports that her older brother M. told his classmates at school that "Kayleah had run away again..." It seems like the police and her family did assume that this again was the same.

In the Today show interview with April Wilson when asked by the reporter if April thought Kayleah had run away, April paused and then said if she had run away, she would have been home by now... (not exact quotes, going from memory here)

I think there was some legitimate reason that family members may have believed that she did run away *at first.* Not sure if that is because of past actions, or a dispute between family members, or what? But I think there was reason for her case to be viewed by LE as a runaway in the beginning.

When they stated she ran away, they also threw in the quip that it could possibly be to get an abortion. While we are a forward thinking country, stating that your 12 yr old ran away to get an abortion immediately kills any interest at all into finding that child.

imo of course...

When they stated she ran away, they also threw in the quip that it could possibly be to get an abortion. While we are a forward thinking country, stating that your 12 yr old ran away to get an abortion immediately kills any interest at all into finding that child.

imo of course...

Ugghhh yes recalling this again. Thanks for that reminder. Terrible thing to come out of a family member's mouth.

Kayleah where are YOU? :(

I 100% believe that Kayleah's disappearance being viewed by LE and some family as a possible runaway at first caused huge damage. BUT on the otherhand, IF a child does have a past history of running away, I certainly don't want parents lying to LE either- then when that lie is found out you have suspicion pointed at the wrong person(s) for what may be wrong reasons.

Based on the reports that her older brother M. told his classmates at school that "Kayleah had run away again..." It seems like the police and her family did assume that this again was the same.

In the Today show interview with April Wilson when asked by the reporter if April thought Kayleah had run away, April paused and then said if she had run away, she would have been home by now... (not exact quotes, going from memory here)

I think there was some legitimate reason that family members may have believed that she did run away *at first.* Not sure if that is because of past actions, or a dispute between family members, or what? But I think there was reason for her case to be viewed by LE as a runaway in the beginning.

IMHO, a 'run away' child (under the age of 16- and ESPECIALLY under 12) is one of the highest risk groups out there. Yes, many return home soon. Equally as many do not- and when they do not, they end up hurt, abused, and frequently dead.

I don't fully understand why the misconception of a 'run away' translates into 'will turn up at some point' among both LE and the general public. LE knows well what happens to runaways.
They frequently do not make it back home. They turn up in morgues or ditches on the side of the road, or abused in a culture of prostitution, substance abuse, or worse.

A missing child is exactly that- a child who is missing: whereabouts unknown and for reasons unknown. I feel they should be treated equally. JMO.

JTSYS

Ugghhh yes recalling this again. Thanks for that reminder. Terrible thing to come out of a family member's mouth.Kayleah where are YOU? :(

It's a terrible thing to come out of a family members' mouth to the media... But possibly useful in searching for a child. If the truth is that your 12 yr old is sexually active or hangs with certain cliques or has a history of running away- it is important to let the detectives working your childs' case that history, because it gives them possible leads to follow. It's just disasterous in the media- or in dealing with LE that is biased against certain teen behaviors or cultures...
Which is why I feel it's so critical to reduce bias in missing persons' cases.
The same holds true for missing adults with special needs or circumstances.

Reduce assumptions and misperceptions, and IMO we would be on the right track to finding many more missing children and adults who are at risk.

JTSYS

I think there was some legitimate reason that family members may have believed that she did run away *at first.*

I agree, everything that was said pointed to that. Though what bothers me is that she is still being addressed (by family & friends) on her FB page as though she's a runaway. Even after LE said that wasn't likely. (can't recall exact statements, but during the press conference describing a possible person of interest) She's 12, at this point....there is a strong possibitlity that she is out there but can't come home on her own. Ugg!! It just is so heartbreaking to think. My heart goes out to this family and community and I understand not wanting to believe or address the other possiblities, but I have to agree about it damaging the chance of finding her not only from the beginning but also now. I can't believe she is in Greeley at this point as a runaway, the town just doesn't have the runaway population grouped together like a bigger city such as Denver. Even then I would assume LE in Denver would be on the lookout for her as the FBI is involved? (moo as always :) )

I believe the Amber Alert is set up to be on the lookout for a vehicle type...and that is what determines when it is used, rather than the age of child or circumstances...tell me if i am wrong?

also in most cases we see, eventually the family just has to take over the search, it is a bald fact that LE just cannot focus on cases the way we would like them to and can very little without leads coming in. I am not especially pro-Le but also realize how all towns and cites are chronically understaffed and underfunded and just can't ever do as much as we would like to see. Familes really are the key in harassing media, etc...it is not easy but it can be done, we've seen it. If they have not already done so, I am sure they could get advice on dealing with media from Mark Klass or other organizations. JMO

I believe the Amber Alert is set up to be on the lookout for a vehicle type...and that is what determines when it is used, rather than the age of child or circumstances...tell me if i am wrong?

Nope...your right :) I went back a page and read the link on the criteria for issuing an Amber Alert...didn't realize how specific the criteria was.

imo of course...

Although this isn't the case here - That's a shame isn't it? 12yo runaway so she can get an abortion, can't think of a more dangerous situation for a child. For some reason, people jump up on their moral soap box and begin preaching judgements rather than viable suggestions and encouragement to help find the child. I call it 'corrective judgments'- they try to correct others instead of help. moo mho jmho

The people who are 'higher than Thou' preaching to others are the very reason the child ran off to begin with. MOO And what's to gain except showing others how perfect they are! Doesn't do a thing to help bring the child back to safety. - quite the opposite - it casts shame, blame, and disdain on the child, mom, and all those who care for the child. It contributes NOTHING to help bring the child back to safety. moo mho :banghead::banghead:

It's a terrible thing to come out of a family members' mouth to the media... But possibly useful in searching for a child. If the truth is that your 12 yr old is sexually active or hangs with certain cliques or has a history of running away- it is important to let the detectives working your childs' case that history, because it gives them possible leads to follow. It's just disasterous in the media- or in dealing with LE that is biased against certain teen behaviors or cultures...
Which is why I feel it's so critical to reduce bias in missing persons' cases.
The same holds true for missing adults with special needs or circumstances.

Reduce assumptions and misperceptions, and IMO we would be on the right track to finding many more missing children and adults who are at risk.

JTSYS

BBM You are so right!

I mean in one town-for example, Greeley. There can't be that many missing kids a a town like that, can there?

I have never believed this child ran away. Many 12 year old dress in a more worldly fashion and wear tons of makeup. I thought her pictures made her seem tom-boyish and she appeared age appropriate. I've always felt she was abducted and the not knowing is driving me crazy. I could see her giving a stranger directions and being grabbed. Sorry, I'm so negative. I've just depressed myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan