CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]24m
Judge Flesher appeared via WebEx. I was wondering why we weren’t being taken down to the courtroom. I was in there on Tuesday too, but the judge mentioned there have been lots of precautions taken in the courtroom (masks, social distance, cleaning). @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 14m
EDIT: I said yesterday someone tested positive, but reading back over my notes, the judge didn’t specifically give a day. Now, I am thinking the day in question may have been Monday - we were asked several times before starting today which reporters were in there Monday.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]19m
Jurors are not supposed to consume any outside information about this trial. The judge wants every juror to write down if this delay will impact their ability to serve on the case. They're not releasing anyone at this point. #KelsieSchelling #DontheLucas@KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 23m
This case had been delayed multiple times in the past already. #Schelling disappeared in 2013, #Lucas was charged with her murder in 2017. Since then, the trial was pushed back at least four times. Now, it’s been pushed back mid-trial.
@KOAA

Kelsie Schelling's father testifies during Donthe Lucas murder trial

Feb 9, 2021

Doug Schelling, the victim’s father, testified Tuesday that he purchased an apartment in Denver which he planned to rent out until his daughter moved in during October 2012 when she returned to Colorado from California.

“She knew I worked hard and expected her to and to try to save as much money as she can,” he testified.

[..]

Kelsie Schelling visited her dad in Holyoke, “The Saturday before (Feb. 2) I changed the oil in her car and we had a visit that afternoon. We always write the mileage down,” he testified.

“I knew nothing about the defendant at all,” he said, pointing out he did not know that Lucas was living with her for a time in the Denver apartment.

The first time he learned of the baby was when Kelsie Schelling sent him a photo of the ultrasound Feb. 4.

[..]

That Friday, Kelsie Schelling's mother, Laura Saxton, “called me and said, ‘I think we’ve got some problems.’ She (Kelsie Schelling) didn’t call me back and it just wasn’t right — she always got back, you know,” he said.

He met Saxton and their son Colby at the Schellings' Denver apartment.

“It looked like she was planning to come back home,” he said.

When the family later cleaned out her apartment, Doug Schelling testified he noticed a scuff mark on an end table. A bed that had been new in October, “looked like it was busted out — the boards were broken through,” he said.

[..]

At the point he received the text picture of her ultrasound, on the late morning or early afternoon of Feb. 4, “she told me Donthe,” was the father and “she said the relationship probably wasn’t going to work out and she would have to do it on her own and I said we would be there for her,” Doug Schelling testified.

Doug Schelling teared up when he testified that Feb. 4 was the last time he talked to his daughter.

[..]

Neal Saxton, Kelsie Schelling’s stepfather, said he traveled from Yuma to Pueblo on Feb. 11, 2013, to try to help find her. He met up with her brother Colby and a friend.

“Somehow we arranged with the police to do a welfare check at Donthe’s house to find him,” and it was the first time he had met Lucas. “There were several cops there at the same time and they went in and talked to Donthe first,” he said.

Later Saxton also asked Lucas questions.

“What stuck out most to me was he said she had come down at 3 or 4 in the morning — of the fifth (of February). They went to his grandma’s house, slept a little, got up early in the morning and went to the hospital."

Lucas went on to tell Saxton, “She came out (of the hospital) and said she lost the baby,” Saxton testified.

Lucas told him that they were driving around, ended up at Walmart and they got in a fight.

“She basically kicked him out of the car and she took off,” Saxton said. “He didn’t know why she lost the baby.”

“He was fairly calm. I remember saying to Colby, ‘if I had this many cops asking questions I would be pretty nervous,’” Saxton testified.

[..]

After redirect questioning from Tameler during which he asked Saxton if he had told anyone with the district attorney’s office about his conversation with Lucas he said he believed his wife, Laura Saxton, had told them.

Following a sidebar conference among attorneys, the Judge ordered the jury not to consider any testimony based on Neal Saxton’s testimony about his conversation with Lucas.

[..]

Pueblo Police Officer Melissa Jacober testified she was asked by the victim’s brother Colby to help them check on the welfare of his sister with Lucas’s relatives.

[..]

“She was irritated that we were there and kind of short tempered,” Jacober testified. “She told me she had already been contacted three times by officers and that she had no idea where Kelsie was and did not know how to get a hold of her.

"As far as I knew no Pueblo officers had been at her house in the last three days.

Jacober testified that Lucas indicated the last time he saw Kelsie Schelling was on the fifth of February. She came to town to see him at 3 a.m.

[..]

Lucas reportedly told Jacober that he wanted to take Schelling to St. Mary Corwin hospital to verify the pregnancy because it was close to his home. He said she insisted they got to Parkview hospital.

“He tells me he does take her to Parkview hospital,” she testified.

“He said he does not go back with her to the doctor’s office. He said he waits in the waiting room.

"She comes back out and says, ‘I am not pregnant,’” Jacober testified.

Lucas did not say anything about Schelling having a miscarriage, Jacober reported.

“He basically told me at 9 a.m. that morning they ended up at Walmart,” Jacober testified. “They got into a fight, she threw him out of the car and he had to call his mother to come pick him up.”

Lucas said he assumed she had returned to Denver and went back to work.

[..]

Under cross-examination Jacober said it was her understanding Kelsie Schelling’s Chevy Cruze was recovered at St. Mary Corwin hospital. She also testified under redirect examination that Lucas never mentioned to her that he was the one who dropped her car off at St. Mary Corwin.

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 59m

Replying to @ColetteBordelon
Apologies for my original tweet that it was on Tuesday. I was trying to get the information out as quickly as I could. No date has been specified as to when a positive case was in the courtroom - but I was in there both days, and will likely be called for contact tracing. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]49m
NEW: Statement from the Pueblo Department of Public Health & Environment regarding the #COVID case in the courtroom. I imagine I’ll be a part of the contact tracing.
@KOAA
#KelsieSchelling #DontheLucas

Because #Martin ended up falling in love with #Lucas, the CBI couldn’t use her as an informant anymore. But, prior to that, #Lucas never confessed to kidnapping or murdering #KelsieSchelling.
@KOAA

So WHAT she befriended this guy because she wanted to help the cops get information about the case but then she fell in love with him? She just inserted herself into the investigation? WTF.
This young woman has serious issues and needs therapy NOW. JMHO

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 14m
Here's everything we know about the two week delay in the murder trial of #DontheLucas, the Pueblo man accused of murdering 21-year-old #KelsieSchelling. There was a positive COVID case in the courtroom this Monday and Tuesday.

Pueblo murder trial continues Wednesday in case of Kelsie Schelling's disappearance
koaa.com

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]9m
Replying to @ColetteBordelon
And, the headline linked to the article is the one we had published before we knew about the delay. It does contain a brief recap of what was a busy day in court on Tuesday. Just in case you're wondering - the information within this article is up to date.

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 8m
If everything goes according to plan, the long recess will end on February 24, at 1:15 p.m. I'll be there to bring you all the details when the trial resumes.

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 49s
deny arguing with Kelsie, showed the officer some texts (From Feb 5) he sent her, and never said he didn't want to be a father.

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 39s
Jacober says, Lucas reported Kelsie was in a check up for 40 minutes then left, saying she wasn't pregnant, no mention of a miscarriage (despite Lucas' earlier statements to police). In questions from the dense Jacober said Lucas was calm, cordial, cooperative and that he didn't

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 40s
Lucas wanted to go to St Mart Corwin because it was closer, he says Kelsie insisted on Parkview. What's new here: Donthe told Jacober that he went into the waiting room with Kelsie. Every other witness up to this point has testified that Donthe said he stayed outside the hospital

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 43s
then he said Kelsie slept in the car until 7 am. Lucas told Jacober they were arguing about the pregnancy, she says Lucas was wavering between believing Kelsie was pregnant and thinking she was lying about it. At that point, Lucas told Jacober that they went to the hospital.

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews
testimony speaking about it). After Saxton though, Pueblo Police Corporal Melissa Jacober was on the stand. She met Colby and Saxton on the 11th and spoke to Lucas. During that time, Lucas said Kelsie got to Pueblo around 3 am on the 5th, they argued about their relationship

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 50s
Kelsie's step father, Niel Saxton, testified this morning as well. He went with Colby on Feb 11 to Pueblo to ask Lucas about Kelsie, though Judge Flescher ruled that the jury should not take his statements about that day in to consideration (after spending nearly all of his
Here’s another inconsistency (lie)! He was quoted earlier that he clears recent calls and texts daily, but he happens to have texts in in phone from the 5th??!!

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the media is in a separate room from the courtroom. The media watches the trial only from the witness stand and could not see Lucas, Kelsie’s family, jurors, defense or prosecution teams.

Click here for updates from days 1-3.

Day 4, Feb. 8: A member of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation testified that Lucas texted his mother, Sara, that Kelsie apparently had a miscarriage before she disappeared. Two Denver law enforcement members said Lucas told them the same thing during their initial investigation of Kelsie’s disappearance.

Those law enforcement officials said Lucas told them he and Kelsie went to Parkview Medical Center on Feb. 5, 2013, where she allegedly told Lucas she apparently wasn’t pregnant anymore. But, the prosecution said there were no records of Kelsie being at Parkview at all.

In a recorded message played in the trial between Lucas and a Denver PD detective on Feb. 10, 2013, Lucas told the detective the last time he saw Kelsie was after they apparently went to Parkview. Lucas said in the recorded phone call, he and Kelsie apparently stopped by the southside Walmart after, where she dropped him off. Lucas also said in that call that Kelsie apparently called him and yelled at him briefly on Feb. 9, 2013.

Kelsie’s OBGYN took the stand testifying Kelsie was not considered an at-risk pregnancy for miscarriage during her first OB appointment on Feb. 4, 2013.

The defense came back with the same points they made on day 1 of the trial, saying there’s no body, no crime scene, no weapon or forensic evidence in this case. But, a Denver PD detective on the stand Monday said it was “suspicious” and a “red flag” that Lucas would apparently drive the car and take out money from a missing person’s account… like Lucas is accused of doing.

Day 5, Feb 9: A woman from Aurora testified Tuesday she’s been romantically involved with Lucas since 2017 and even considered Lucas her boyfriend. The woman testified she was in contact with the CBI and gave them information about Lucas in 2017, four years after Kelsie’s disappearance. But at the same time, she said she was building a romantic relationship with Lucas. CBI advised her in early 2017 to not have a relationship with Lucas, but she testified on Tuesday she’s still in love with him.

The prosecution said this woman told the CBI in 2017 that someone, although isn’t clear who, apparently went to Lucas’ home and called Lucas a “murderer” in front of her … to which Lucas apparently responded, “You’re four years too late.” However, the woman testified in court on Tuesday that she couldn’t recall sharing this information with the CBI in 2017.

Kelsie’s brother and father also took the stand on Tuesday, testifying the last time they saw and heard from Kelsie, which is when they found out she was pregnant and how they discovered she was missing.
Lucas murder trial day 5: Woman who considers Lucas her current boyfriend took the witness stand

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 1h
Here’s a detailed recap of evidence we’ve heard so far in the #DontheLucas murder trial in #Pueblo. Also in this article, you can read the #witnesslist and see exclusive courtroom sketches. #KelsieSchelling has been missing for eight years now.
@KOAA

bJhwKy81_mini.jpg

KOAA News5 @KOAA 3h
Eight years after Kelsie Schelling disappeared, her ex-boyfriend Donthe Lucas is on trial for her murder. The trial was recessed for two weeks because of a COVID case in the courtroom, but is set to start again tomorrow. https://koaa.com/news/kelsie-schell...y-following-two-week-break-caused-by-covid-19

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 48s
BREAK: Before the jury entered, the prosecution talked about their witness order briefly. #DontheLucas' mom, Sara Lucas, should testify on Friday. Additionally, we can expect more text message evidence today, and potentially tomorrow. This is the thread to follow: @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]22s
We also know the texts that should be presented today are between Lucas and Jessica Reeves from February 9, 10, and some on the 12. Prosecution calls these messages romantic; defense objected to admitting one related to oral sex. Reeves could take the stand today. @KOAA

Carol McKinley
@CarolAMcKinley

The #DontheLucas trial is back on after 2 week break due to #COVID19 . Today, a CBI agent says Jessica Martin, who first intended to find info on Lucas, then fell in love with him. She says Lucas told her a drug dealer killed #KelsieSchelling right after she went missing.
@ABC

Up next for pros are two of #kelsieschelling ‘s last bosses. Also waiting, a prostitute who exchanged text messages with #donthelucas 4 -5 days after she disappeared.

-------------------------

Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon

BREAK: Before the jury entered, the prosecution talked about their witness order briefly. #DontheLucas' mom, Sara Lucas, should testify on Friday. Additionally, we can expect more text message evidence today, and potentially tomorrow. This is the thread to follow:
@KOAA

We also know the texts that should be presented today are between Lucas and Jessica Reeves from February 9, 10, and some on the 12. Prosecution calls these messages romantic; defense objected to admitting one related to oral sex. Reeves could take the stand today.
@KOAA

The prosecution also plans to try and introduce text messages tomorrow from #Lucas' phone that they allege were sent to prostitutes. They believe these are relevant to motive, intent, state of mind, and consciousness of guilt.
@KOAA

The judge says messages during this time in early February of 2013 following #Schelling's disappearance are relevant, but he wants to set a limiting instruction on those.

A limiting instruction, according to Cornell, is instructing the jury "to consider a piece of evidence for a specific purpose and ignore it for any other purpose."
@KOAA

The first witness to take the stand is CBI Agent Kevin Torres. You may remember him as the lead investigator on #Schelling's case, and he's testified once before in this trial already. He's following up on Jessica Martin's testimony, who was the last witness before the break.
ktorres.jpg

All sketches are drawn by Mejo Okon, by the way.

Martin is the woman who initially said she wanted to help find #Schelling, but ended up falling in love with #Lucas. Agent Torres says Martin and him made contact twice in 2016 - once that summer, and once in November.
@KOAA

The first contact was regarding a psychic tip Martin said she had, regarding bones at a truck stop. Agent Torres followed up, and it turned out they were animal bones.

Then, when Martin reached out in November of 2016, Agent Torres said she had started communicating with #Lucas on Facebook to try and get information about #Schelling.

Agent Torres said he did not ask Martin to try and gather information from Lucas on behalf of the CBI. He says she was not being used as an informant, and told her to stop contacting Lucas.

But then, Agent Torres talked to Martin in January of 2017, and found out she had not stopped talking to Lucas. That's when she told him the story about "Dominic."
jessicamartin.jpg

Martin claims that in late December 2016, she was at Lucas' house, when a man named Dominic came in and called #Lucas a murdered. According to Martin, he said "you're four years too late."
@KOAA

The defense insinuated that Agent Torres tried to instill fear in Martin regarding Lucas. Then, in January 2017, after admitting she had been intimate with Lucas, Martin moved to Arizona.
@KOAA

Then, according to Agent Torres, Lucas bought a one-way ticket to Arizona in November of 2017. Lucas was charged with #Schelling's murder in December of 2017. Heading back inside the courtroom now.
@KOAA

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08