CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just praying the police are still collecting evidence and building a case. There is so much that goes on we do not know anything about. I feel for the family, but I also don't want charges brought up that LE cannot prove WITHOUT ANY DOUBT.
Keep Kelsie in your thoughts.

Sure would like to hear LE's side of this. I can't fathom a police department in a major city being this incompetent.
Reading the lawsuit documents posted on the Help Find Kelsie page is confusing me. Is something fishy going on here? Or is it just negligence? So frustrating!
WoW! The family are doing right by sueing them all, Is DL related to the Police chief or something the LE seem to be very incompetent or unwilling to carry out their duty.

Couldn't decide which of you to reply to so decided all 3. lol
I'm so thankful Kelsie's mom decided to Sue them! I had suggested it a while ago. Think of the OJ Simpson/ Nicole Brown case.
Yes; Pueblo LE are negligent with Kelsie as well as Thomas Cook; then add the 3 other missing persons, Jessica Ortiz; Russell Jaramillo & Charles Madrid.

It seems to me that if the person is not white; they do nothing. While Kelsie is white; the baby she is carrying is mixed. I personally think they are racially unmotivated. They could have arrested DL & held him yet did not. Now they drop charges on using her ATM card? Seriously? They have video to show she was in fact missing when it was used.

I just went to the Pueblo CrimeStoppers FB; there are no posts by people to the page; my guess is they deleted them all. I'll have to look to see if I backed any of the posts I made as Thomas Cook's FB page because I posted 3 to 5 times; have PM'd the page multiple times with no answer. I went so far as to sign into the Pueblo CrimeStoppers web site; submitted a "tip" asking why Thomas was not listed; they flat out told me they asked Pueblo PD who told them not to.

I really hope Kelsie's mom sues the pants off of them all! It is deserved!

CO - Thomas "Tommy" Cook 26, Pueblo, 14 August 2013 - Possible traveling to Kansas
07-10-2014, 05:40 PM #20 -
Pueblo LE will not even allow Pueblo CrimeStoppers to list Tommy on their site!! They have been ignoring the PM's I've sent as well as my posts on the FB wall. I finally logged in to give a tip asking WTF! Thankfully they were honest with me! How messed up is that?

His mom has been posting on his FB page. Multiple times a day she shares his info. Before that, she was posting on her own wall; she has tried to stay hopeful as you can see in the letter, but there are times when she knows he can't be in a homeless shelter because it is not like him to have no contact, especially birthday's and holidays. She is not well, the stress of Tommy missing with no answers and LE not wanting to do anything has taken a really bad toll on her already poor health. The worst part is that she is in Kansas, does not have the money to travel nor can she travel due to her health.

Pueblo isn't doing anything with Kelsie either; thankfully Kelsie's mom is local enough that she can organize a few searches with cadaver dogs. I hate to even write this but with every place searched where they do not find anything, that is one less place Tommy could be found. I pray that both Laura and Tommy's mom Barbara get answers.

Woman’s family on a march

http://www.chieftain.com/news/3318705-120/schelling-police-pueblo-saturday

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

I love your sig! It's so true!

Reading the lawsuit documents posted on the Help Find Kelsie page is confusing me. Is something fishy going on here? Or is it just negligence? So frustrating!

Link to law suit; plus grabbed a little bit of the text

Case 1:15-cv-00255-MJW Document 1 Filed 02/05/15 USDC Colorado

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLORADO
Civil Action No. 15-cv-255
LAURA SAXTON and
DOUG SCHELLING, as the surviving parent of Kelsie Schelling, decedent.

DONTHE LUCAS,
DAWN SHAY LUCAS,
DETECTIVE NEAL ROBINSON, in his individual capacity,
SERGEANT KEN ESPINOZA, in his individual capacity,
DEPUTY POLICE CHIEF ANDREW McLACHLAN, in his individual capacity, and
CITY OF PUEBLO, COLORADO,

COMPLAINT FOR DAMAGES AND JURY DEMAND

Plaintiffs, above-named, by and through its counsel, Lonn M. Heymann of Lonn
Heymann Law Firm, P.C., for their Complaint for Damages and Jury Demand hereby
allege as follows:

INTRODUCTION

1. This is a civil rights action for damages resulting from the deprivation of
civil rights under color of law. Kelsie Schelling’s parents, Laura Saxton and Doug
Schelling (herein referred to collectively as “Plaintiffs”), seek damages, declaratory, and
injunctive relief to remedy the deprivation of their right of access to courts by the City of
Pueblo, Colorado, Detective Neal Robinson, Sergeant Ken Espinoza, and Deputy Police
Chief Andrew McLachlan (herein referred to collectively as “Pueblo Police Department
Defendants”). Plaintiff’s also state a claim for wrongful death against Donthe Lucas, Sara
Lucas, Vivian Lucas, and Dawn Shay Lucas (herein referred to collectively as “Lucas

2. Plaintiffs seek relief for the Pueblo Police Department Defendants’
deliberate interference with their right to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Colorado
District Court, pursuant to Colorado Wrongful Death Act, C.R.S. § 13-21-201, et seq., by
refusing to open and investigate a criminal case arising from the death and disappearance
of Kelsie Schelling on or about February 5, 2013, in Pueblo, Colorado, by tampering with
or destroying evidence material to any wrongful death claim, by deliberately disregarding
compelling leads and evidence pointing to the homicide of Kelsie Schelling by Donthe
Lucas, with whom Kelsie Schelling had driven from Denver to Pueblo to discuss her
pregnancy with his child.

FACTUAL BACKGROUND

9. Kelsie Schelling (herein “Kelsie”) was feloniously killed on or about
February 5, 2013 by Donthe Lucas. The Lucas Defendants conspired with or acted as an
Case 1:15-cv-00255-MJW Document 1 Filed 02/05/15 USDC Colorado Page 4 of 21

10. Kelsie’s disappearance occurred after she was “coaxed” into traveling to
Pueblo Colorado on February 4, 2013 by Donthe Lucas (Father of Kelsie’s child) and his
mother Sara Lucas. Kelsie attended medical appointment in Denver during the morning
hours of February 4 and confirmed that she was two months pregnant with Donthe
Lucas’s child. Communications between Kelsie, Donthe and Sara Lucas via text
messages and phones calls indicates that Donthe and Sara sent a plethora of messages
trying to convince Kelsie to travel to Pueblo before attending her Doctors appointment.
Kelsie however elected to wait and attended the medical appointment and confirmed she
was in fact pregnant before traveling to meet with Donthe and his mother. After the
Doctor’s appointment Kelsie returned to work and finished the work-day before traveling

11. At 11:20p.m. on the evening of February 4, 2013, Kelsie arrived at the
Wal-Mart at 4080 West Northern, Pueblo, Colorado to meet Donthe as directed by him.
Donthe was not at Wal-Mart and kept stalling for time through text messages before
directing her to another unknown location. At 12:32 a.m., in the early morning hours of
February 5, 2013 Kelsie sent Donthe a text message wanting to know where he was at,
complaining that she had been waiting for over an hour for him. That was the last
confirmed message that will indicate that Kelsie was alive. At 3:54 a.m. Donthe calls
Kelsie's cell phone. According to cellular tower pings and triangulation, Donthe and
Kelsie’s cell phones where in a very close proximity of each other and concluded that
Donthe had no reason to call the Kelsie’s phone. The theory is that Kelsie had been
murdered before this call was made and that the call was made to Kelsie’s phone to locate

12. Throughout the rest of the night various text messages were
communicated between Kelsie’s cell phone and Donthe’s cell phone. An analysis of text
verbiage from Kelsie’s phone after the 3:54A.M. time period, would indicate that the
messages where not being typed by Kelsie and the wording, spelling and type of verbiage
used was not close to the traditional verbiage used in previous messages. The content of
the messages made no sense and were out of context.

13. At 11:39 a.m., on February 5, 2013, Donthe Lucas travels to Canon
National Bank in Pueblo, driving Kelsie’s 2011 Black Chevrolet Cruze and withdraws
$400.00 cash from the ATM with Kelsie’s ATM card. Surveillance video clearly shows
that that Donthe Lucas is driving the car and that Kelsie is not present.

14. Donthe Lucas is then observed by surveillance video parking Kelsie’s car
at the Wal-Mart parking lot, located at 4080 West Northern Avenue in Pueblo. Donthe
exits the car and walks to the rear of the store where he was picked up by his mother,
Sara Lucas, and grandmother, Vivian Lucas. For the next 18 hours, Kelsie’s car sits in the
same parked position. No one else exits the car or enters the car until February 6, 2013 at
7:20 a.m. when an African-American male walks directly to the car from the same
walking path that Donthe Lucas takes to leave the car from the rear of the store. That
male was accompanied in another vehicle by Dawn Shay Lucas who acted as a lookout.
Case 1:15-cv-00255-MJW Document 1 Filed 02/05/15 USDC Colorado Page 6 of 21

15. Immediately following the evident criminal conduct toward Kelsie
Schelling, her family, Plaintiffs, filed a missing person’s report and sought the assistance
of law enforcement, including the Pueblo Police Department, and the media.

16. As of February 5, 2015, there is no record listed within the Pueblo Police
Departments online records data-base that Kelsie Schelling’s disappearance has ever been
logged as an open investigation assigned with a Pueblo Police Department case number.
There has never been a Pueblo Police Department Case File Number identified to
Kelsie’s family or to the Investigators that the family has privately hired.

17. The Pueblo Police failed to retrieve evidence from the Denver Police
Department to be submitted to the Colorado Crime Laboratory to obtain DNA
classification required to be submitted into a National data-base. Over a year later, these
items were not processed for DNA.

LAURA SAXTON and

DONTHE LUCAS,
DAWN SHAY LUCAS,

allege as follows:

INTRODUCTION

civil rights under color of law. Kelsie Schelling’s parents, Laura Saxton and Doug
Schelling (herein referred to collectively as “Plaintiffs”), seek damages, declaratory, and
injunctive relief to remedy the deprivation of their right of access to courts by the City of
Pueblo, Colorado, Detective Neal Robinson, Sergeant Ken Espinoza, and Deputy Police
Chief Andrew McLachlan (herein referred to collectively as “Pueblo Police Department
Defendants”). Plaintiff’s also state a claim for wrongful death against Donthe Lucas, Sara
Lucas, Vivian Lucas, and Dawn Shay Lucas (herein referred to collectively as “Lucas

deliberate interference with their right to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Colorado
District Court, pursuant to Colorado Wrongful Death Act, C.R.S. § 13-21-201, et seq., by
refusing to open and investigate a criminal case arising from the death and disappearance
of Kelsie Schelling on or about February 5, 2013, in Pueblo, Colorado, by tampering with
or destroying evidence material to any wrongful death claim, by deliberately disregarding
compelling leads and evidence pointing to the homicide of Kelsie Schelling by Donthe
Lucas, with whom Kelsie Schelling had driven from Denver to Pueblo to discuss her

FACTUAL BACKGROUND

February 5, 2013 by Donthe Lucas. The Lucas Defendants conspired with or acted as an

Pueblo Colorado on February 4, 2013 by Donthe Lucas (Father of Kelsie’s child) and his
mother Sara Lucas. Kelsie attended medical appointment in Denver during the morning
messages and phones calls indicates that Donthe and Sara sent a plethora of messages
trying to convince Kelsie to travel to Pueblo before attending her Doctors appointment.
Kelsie however elected to wait and attended the medical appointment and confirmed she
was in fact pregnant before traveling to meet with Donthe and his mother. After the
Doctor’s appointment Kelsie returned to work and finished the work-day before traveling

Wal-Mart at 4080 West Northern, Pueblo, Colorado to meet Donthe as directed by him.
Donthe was not at Wal-Mart and kept stalling for time through text messages before
directing her to another unknown location. At 12:32 a.m., in the early morning hours of
February 5, 2013 Kelsie sent Donthe a text message wanting to know where he was at,
complaining that she had been waiting for over an hour for him. That was the last
confirmed message that will indicate that Kelsie was alive. At 3:54 a.m. Donthe calls
Kelsie's cell phone. According to cellular tower pings and triangulation, Donthe and
Kelsie’s cell phones where in a very close proximity of each other and concluded that
Donthe had no reason to call the Kelsie’s phone. The theory is that Kelsie had been
murdered before this call was made and that the call was made to Kelsie’s phone to locate

communicated between Kelsie’s cell phone and Donthe’s cell phone. An analysis of text
verbiage from Kelsie’s phone after the 3:54A.M. time period, would indicate that the
messages where not being typed by Kelsie and the wording, spelling and type of verbiage
used was not close to the traditional verbiage used in previous messages. The content of

National Bank in Pueblo, driving Kelsie’s 2011 Black Chevrolet Cruze and withdraws
$400.00 cash from the ATM with Kelsie’s ATM card. Surveillance video clearly shows

at the Wal-Mart parking lot, located at 4080 West Northern Avenue in Pueblo. Donthe
exits the car and walks to the rear of the store where he was picked up by his mother,
Sara Lucas, and grandmother, Vivian Lucas. For the next 18 hours, Kelsie’s car sits in the
same parked position. No one else exits the car or enters the car until February 6, 2013 at
walking path that Donthe Lucas takes to leave the car from the rear of the store. That
male was accompanied in another vehicle by Dawn Shay Lucas who acted as a lookout.

Schelling, her family, Plaintiffs, filed a missing person’s report and sought the assistance

Departments online records data-base that Kelsie Schelling’s disappearance has ever been
logged as an open investigation assigned with a Pueblo Police Department case number.

classification required to be submitted into a National data-base. Over a year later, these

if these "allegations" are true...this blows my mind. DL had to explain to LE how he obtained the keys to the car without meeting Kelsie without implicating himself. LE had to question his mother in regards to the texts she sent and received. I find it almost inconceivable that LE has not enough evidence to indict.

if these "allegations" are true...this blows my mind. DL had to explain to LE how he obtained the keys to the car without meeting Kelsie without implicating himself. LE had to question his mother in regards to the texts she sent and received. I find it almost inconceivable that LE has not enough evidence to indict.

I have not had time to read all that I copied & pasted in. I read bits & pieces; totally blew my mind! I'm on my way out; will have to take the 2 pages I printed with me.

I have not had time to read all that I copied & pasted in. I read bits & pieces; totally blew my mind! I'm on my way out; will have to take the 2 pages I printed with me.

I read the whole thing and if even half of it is true, it really looks bad for the Pueblo PD.
Jmo

LAURA SAXTON and

DONTHE LUCAS,
DAWN SHAY LUCAS,

allege as follows:

INTRODUCTION

FACTUAL BACKGROUND

Wow...

Just finished reading it. Have to say I'm very impressed with the information Laura has gotten. I'd like to see any of them get away from this! I hope they all pay! I knew Pueblo LE didn't want to do anything but this is totally unreal!

I do wonder if there was a description of the hair on the body in the lake.

Rose, Tommy went missing from Pueblo West, which is not a part of the city of Pueblo. It is a separate entity that is in Pueblo County. The Sheriff's Department has jurisdiction there but not the Pueblo PD. I hope that helps. I hope Tommy is found.

I have also spent the past day reading the lawsuit while i could. I too am echoing the sentiments of surprise in just how terribly Pueblo LE has dropped the ball. I also believe every claim that is being accused & i find it almost repulsive that this family has to fight those that are supposed to be the ones supporting & helping. In my opinion, PLE looks to be either in bed with the Lucas' or afraid of them. I just cannot rationalize in my mind, how or why this kind of blatant disregard would be happening to a family of their community. (IMO) its embarrassing in this day & age, with ALL that is going on around the country, for any police department to be this grossly negligent (as claimed). I applaud the Saxton/Schelling family for standing up for their daughter & granddaughter & for the many others, that it looks to be also needed for. I'll be keeping a close eye out & cheering from afar for only GOOD to come to this family & that, that mean ol' karma lady to reak havoc on those that feel they have gotten away with so much pain.

Spammy! Hoping this lawsuit leads to some answers, justice, closure! How on earth this family seems to have gotten away with this coverup is unreal!!

Maybe they will replace the ineffective, incompetent detective Robinson. I've not heard one good thing about him from anyone. He should have been replaced long ago. The Lucas family holds no sway over anyone in this town-they are not wealthy, well thought of or well-connected. I think it's more of a question of extreme laziness and incompetence rather than conspiracy to aid the perps. The lawsuit was the reason the presser was cancelled-the PD can no longer discuss this case while the suit is in litigation. The good thing about this suit is that they can ask questions of Donthe that he didn't have to answer in the criminal case. Of course, he still will probably refuse to answer them, but then he risks losing the civil suit. Hopefully, it leads to Justice for Kelsie and peace for her tortured family.

Rose, Tommy went missing from Pueblo West, which is not a part of the city of Pueblo. It is a separate entity that is in Pueblo County. The Sheriff's Department has jurisdiction there but not the Pueblo PD. I hope that helps. I hope Tommy is found.

they don't want to help his mom

Since they have a POI, Donthe Lucas, can we sleuth him?

Happy birthday, Kelsie. I hope this is the year you and Kadrie come home.

Due to a predicted snowstorm, the balloon release has been postponed until March 14th, between 6-8:00 pm at the Southside Walmart.

I wanted to address Lake Minnequa, since it is an area of interest, per cell phone pings and the supposed discovery of a corpse by the fisherman. We went there on the very first search for Kelsie in May, '13. Lake is a misnomer, it should be called Puddle Minnequa. It is very shallow-you could walk across it until water was added to it a few days before the fisherman made his claim. http://www.chieftain.com/special/water/3261603-120/lake-minnequa-pueblo-colorado (read the comments.)
A body in such shallow water would be almost impossible to conceal. I know that the previous year, it was searched more than once by police using sonar and divers. As far as cell phone pings, IMO they mean nothing since SL lived less than 1/4 of a mile from Lake Minnequa. It was virtually their backyard.
Here's a video of Pueblo- it gives you an idea of what it looks like-the Arkansas River, the terrain, Lake Pueblo, downtown etc. Note when the people are mountain biking-the buttes, arroyos, and contour make searching very difficult. And that's down here in the flatlands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcLDSEHvqrc

Kelsie's parents filed a lawsuit in federal court last month against the Pueblo Police Department. They accuse investigators of mishandling their daughter's case. They also filed suit against the city of Pueblo, along with Donthe Lucas and some of his family members. They accuse Lucas of killing Schelling while she was pregnant and his family members for covering it up.

Saxton said no one has responded to the lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exam_Dumps