Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully Snipped For Space:

Hello,

I am the editor of The Fairplay Flume, the weekly paper of record in Park County.

I have been working this story from my end. I monitored the radio traffic of the whole incident coming down, and I kept note of other actions taking place during the next three days.

It's obvious that LE is not releasing much info, that's the game we always play. They know, I have to find out so I can inform the public. I know more about this than the Denver broadcast people know, but I am keeping a lot to myself right now.

It was The Flume that first reported the content of the initial 911 call. That call was made from an attic apartment, above the rear of the house. The apartment sits over the Long's kitchen area and the living room downstairs.

Just want to say Welcome and Thank You Walter!

All of that valuable information is so very much appreciated. We so often want more information than LE is able to release. Local MSM has that responsibility to present a balance between the public's right to know and protecting an investigation that is so hard to achieve.

I hope you would review the information on becoming a Verified Profession here at WS - we have so many verified pro's in so many fields who are so appreciated here.

Worth a read: Forum: Verified Professional and Insider Members

Hello,

I am the editor of The Fairplay Flume, the weekly paper of record in Park County.

I have been working this story from my end. I monitored the radio traffic of the whole incident coming down, and I kept note of other actions taking place during the next three days.

It's obvious that LE is not releasing much info, that's the game we always play. They know, I have to find out so I can inform the public. I know more about this than the Denver broadcast people know, but I am keeping a lot to myself right now.

It was The Flume that first reported the content of the initial 911 call. That call was made from an attic apartment, above the rear of the house. The apartment sits over the Long's kitchen area and the living room downstairs.

I know who made the call. The person is probably not a suspect, but that person is keeping a low profile, I have not been able to speak to him, although I have leads to other people in his social circle.

There is a number of things that have been said on this thread that is wrong. Mainly because a lot of you are even further removed from local sources. So I would like to help you out with things I can talk about.

This statement from above, "IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated" is partly wrong.

Nothing ever reported that a safe was missing from the house. Here is the body of the BOLO, although there was more at the top of the BOLO and at the end.

"The bolo is going to be for a late model 90s to 2000 light colored mini van, possibly driven by a white male in his 20s. Homicide occurred during an arson and the suspect driver may have some flash burns … as well as gasoline taken from the house, a large case, AK47, 2000 rounds of ammo of 7.62 and a 9mm Beretta. Please advise the subject is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

The item mentioned is "a large case," not a safe.
The BOLO does not mention a "stolen van."
Maggie did not own the guns, this was her parents house, she lived there, the weapons probably belonged to the family.
The BOLO was not meant to be broadcasted to Denver police, it was a bulletin for CIAC. It was a mistake that it went out the way it did.

I have audio of the complete BOLO.

The Long's own at least four businesses in Park County, not two and county records show at least seven properties (some land).

Everything that I have been able to release to the public can be found in these articles ...

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_aaf65e2a-d918-11e7-ac5e-27d5a2fe169d.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_95a95bc2-dc6e-11e7-bc63-d3e7c1dd804f.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_077e8364-db82-11e7-80fe-afc9e1474238.html

To add some confirmation, yes, Maggie's car was on the property. They knew they had a body that night, but CBI had to identify the remains. The fire did not gut the house, it was contained around a kitchen/hallway area and when up into the attic apartment. There is one small hole in the roof, which can be seen in some helicopter shots taken by the Denver (I call them "downhill") broadcast media.

There is one thing I want to point out. Your member "Zchick" has posted some things here and some of what she/he posted jives with info that I have (but not published). I sent her/him a PM with my home phone number, asking her/him to call me, I think together we can help inform the public of what happened. I have had no phone call or an answer to my PM, which is her/his prerogative.

I'm still working my end.There will probably be two articles in the paper next Thursday (remember, we're a weekly), one that concentrates on Maggie and the community and the other with anything I can release about the incident.
Thank you for explaining! I also saw the outside staircase in the video, I didn't realize there was an apartment in the main home. That 911 call makes much more sense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello,

I know who made the call. The person is probably not a suspect, but that person is keeping a low profile, I have not been able to speak to him, although I have leads to other people in his social circle.

There is a number of things that have been said on this thread that is wrong. Mainly because a lot of you are even further removed from local sources. So I would like to help you out with things I can talk about.

This statement from above, "IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated" is partly wrong.

Nothing ever reported that a safe was missing from the house. Here is the body of the BOLO, although there was more at the top of the BOLO and at the end.

"The bolo is going to be for a late model 90s to 2000 light colored mini van, possibly driven by a white male in his 20s. Homicide occurred during an arson and the suspect driver may have some flash burns … as well as gasoline taken from the house, a large case, AK47, 2000 rounds of ammo of 7.62 and a 9mm Beretta. Please advise the subject is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

Maggie did not own the guns, this was her parents house, she lived there, the weapons probably belonged to the family.
The BOLO was not meant to be broadcasted to Denver police, it was a bulletin for CIAC. It was a mistake that it went out the way it did.

The Long's own at least four businesses in Park County, not two and county records show at least seven properties (some land).

Everything that I have been able to release to the public can be found in these articles ...

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_aaf65e2a-d918-11e7-ac5e-27d5a2fe169d.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_95a95bc2-dc6e-11e7-bc63-d3e7c1dd804f.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_077e8364-db82-11e7-80fe-afc9e1474238.html

To add some confirmation, yes, Maggie's car was on the property. They knew they had a body that night, but CBI had to identify the remains. The fire did not gut the house, it was contained around a kitchen/hallway area and when up into the attic apartment. There is one small hole in the roof, which can be seen in some helicopter shots taken by the Denver (I call them "downhill") broadcast media.

There is one thing I want to point out. Your member "Zchick" has posted some things here and some of what she/he posted jives with info that I have (but not published). I sent her/him a PM with my home phone number, asking her/him to call me, I think together we can help inform the public of what happened. I have had no phone call or an answer to my PM, which is her/his prerogative.

I'm still working my end.There will probably be two articles in the paper next Thursday (remember, we're a weekly), one that concentrates on Maggie and the community and the other with anything I can release about the incident.

Thanks for the clarification. I was assume the large case housed the AK-47. That makes more sense to me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In my profession, assume is a dirty word.

You, I, have no idea what a "large case" refers to.

I'm actually an old-fashioned journalist. My advantage, I never when to J-School. I use common sense to do my job, not some propaganda schooling to tell me how I'm suppose to shape and explain a story.

Just by the way, I'll be 65 on Christmas eve. I went from a freelance writer for the paper to editor in three years.

Hard to find someone who wants to run a mid-sized weekly in the mountains, especially at the salary they offer :)

I'm basically semi-retired, this is just a fun job to keep my mind sharp.

Hello,

:welcome:

Since the 911 caller was in the attic apartment at the time of attack, and above the kitchen where the fire was contained, I can better understand why the caller was able to clearly hear such noise, yelling and the throwing of things. I had wondered if that was possible to hear such detail from another structure away from the main house. This must also have been rather terrifying for him.

Welcome Walter and thank you.

Hello,

Walter...can you verify the time that the 911 call was made. I keep seeing "around 6pm". I also keep seeing that Maggie left school at 2:30, but I've heard directly from a PCHS student that Maggie left school more closely to 3:30, and went home to get hot dogs for the concession stand. I live in the area, so I know it would probably take 20-25 minutes to get to her house from the high school.

I'm just trying to narrow down the timeline...I'm thinking if Maggie left school at 3:30, she would get home around 4pm or slightly before, so for me, the time of the 911 call is important in determining if Maggie encountered her murderer upon returning home, or if the perpetrator entered the home after Maggie got there, or possibly how long Maggie was in the home with the perpetrator before the 911 call was made.

Thanks for any light you can shine on the timeline. :)

Hi Walter welcome and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 911 call came in just after six.

I don't know when Maggie got home.
I wonder when the tenant got home - poor guy, I bet he was completely freaked out. What if they had discovered he was there? This could have been so much worse, no leads and 2 deaths [emoji852]️

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Delete I was confused

Okay try again can someone clarify the fire ? Was in main part of house but moved up hallway throughout the upstairs unit and into attic where the call came from is that correct ? I am assuming there are stairs outside from unit ? So the caller and killer most likely missed each other by seconds ? Terrifying

Gosh, I'm now very emotionally involved in this case.

What was the situation with her sister in 2006? Was a suspect apprehended? Could they have gotten out of prison recently?

I agree that the gag order text is probably canned. It's pretty broad.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Look up Emily Keyes in Bailey Colorado.

I can only ask that whoever posted my long message to this group at ...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=126651141453233&id=119528162165531

... have it removed.

I was probably under the wrong impression that the users of this forum understood the nature of confidentiality. Revealing what I said here to the general public, especially the Park County general public, will make my job harder if not impossible.

If I don't see it removed by morning, I will not be back here with any more insight into the investigation.

That's disappointing Walter - it may be an outsider who has seen the info through the web - most on here do not ever do things like that from my experience.

This is an open website that can be found by just anyone using Google

It appears to have been posted by an administrator of the FB group. ...?

I can only ask that whoever posted my long message to this group at ...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=126651141453233&id=119528162165531

... have it removed.

I was probably under the wrong impression that the users of this forum understood the nature of confidentiality. Revealing what I said here to the general public, especially the Park County general public, will make my job harder if not impossible.

If I don't see it removed by morning, I will not be back here with any more insight into the investigation.
Bolded By Me.

It is my belief that the members here do, in fact, understand confidentiality. It's what we agree to with membership.
Unfortunately this is a publicly available forum and currently there are 6 members and 21 guests observing this very thread. People do steal our words at times.

The fault though lies with the Admins of the "Find Missing Maggie Long" Facebook page for posting your words as if you placed it there yourself. It's copied and pasted from here and only they can remove it from their site.

It would be a real shame if you were unable to post here because of something social media has done to you.

Please consider sending a Private Message to Tricia, the Websleuths Owner and tell her your concerns.

Walter...I just joined the Websleuths group today after reading your words as a non-member. Anyone who comes to this site, whether a member or not, would be able to read anything you post here. I don't believe there is any way to post without it being public, but I'm new here, so I don't know that for sure. Perhaps a chat with the admins of this page could bring about a way for you to share information or post anonymously or just for registered members to see...?? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya