Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bolo was meant to be sent.
Park County just didn't want the public to hear it. (and I am equally curious as to why they would not want the eyes of their county to have this information)
The question remains. If they had this information from a witness....why wait several days to alert authorities. Any ideas on that?
According to the sheriff, it was not meant to be sent.

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article...spect-in-park-county-teens-homicide/498071847

"Denver police scanners broadcast a “be on the lookout” alert – or BOLO – that included a vague description of a white male possible suspect, that the Park County undersheriff said was never meant to be distributed in that way.

“That was not ever intended to go out,” Wohlers said.

Wohlers explained that the information was intended to be reported to the Colorado Information
Analysis Center (CIAC), an office within Homeland Security and Emergency Management, for sharing internally with public safety agencies."

I would think one of the reasons behind this would be the way a BOLO is distributed and who it is sent to it is publicly available but when a report is made to CIAC it is not.

ETA - ONE of the reasons
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That is what Wohler said. I would argue that though it was intended for Police agencies ears only....CSP is streamed on Broadcastify and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. The DenverChannel routinely monitors these broadcasts for news information and tips. I suspect most news stations do.
Was the Park County SO completely unaware of such services on the internet?
I am pretty sure the Sheriff is more than aware of this particular service.

That is what Wohler said. I would argue that though it was intended for Police agencies ears only....CSP is streamed on Broadcastify and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. The DenverChannel routinely monitors these broadcasts for news information and tips. I suspect most news stations do.
Was the Park County SO completely unaware of such services on the internet?
I am pretty sure the Sheriff is more than aware of this particular service.
I'm sure he is too, which is why I believe him. All the officers in that area already knew all about the van that was seen and who to look for. Why would a BOLO be issued 6 days later? It makes much more sense to believe exactly what he said in the above article. IMO of course.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Broadcastify is not as effective a tool as it once was, as many PDs and FDs use cellphones and private channels to keep their information off the scanners. They will tell you they don't want the bad guys to know what they are doing.

Two theories:

1) What if the BOLO was intentionally released and broadcast when it was in order to try to get a suspect to reveal himself---make him think that the noose is closing in on him and get him to run.

2) What if the information contained in the BOLO was from a source that LE didn't think was credible. For instance, we've heard about a person who lived in an upstairs apartment who supposed made the 911 call. A couple of people have claimed to know this person, but say he is keeping a low profile, or they haven't heard from him recently. I would expect that the description of the suspect and vehicle came from him. But what if LE thinks this witness is a suspect and has given false information to throw off the trail?

MOO.

Broadcastify is not as effective a tool as it once was, as many PDs and FDs use cellphones and private channels to keep their information off the scanners. They will tell you they don't want the bad guys to know what they are doing.
Just a tidbit for our new members...you should take a look in The Parking Lot if you are interested in scanner chatter etc.

Scanner chatter isn't allowed "up here" but lots of cases have very active scanner threads "downstairs" in the Parking Lot. A lot of times, I end up toggling between the upstairs thread and the downstairs scanner thread.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am assuming that the suspect and minivan used in this incident are still at large. I don't believe that this incident was the work of some random stranger but someone know to the Long family. Has LE revealed any names of POI or suspects at this time.

Why would one LE intentionally mislead another?

LE has every right to intentionally mislead if it helps them catch a bad guy. That's one of the big dangers when you waive your right to remain silent.

Let's say in this case they really do have a suspect---someone they are pretty certain committed this crime, but they can't prove everything just yet. The suspect is being very careful, and they need him to let his guard down. They could spread false information that would lead the suspect to believe that they aren't on his trail---that they are chasing other leads---and that would give the suspect a false sense of security.

Here's a good article about police interrogation tactics.
http://burneylawfirm.com/blog/2010/06/18/myth-2-cops-cant-lie/

Yes....to the best of my limited knowledge, that van is still at large and the LE has released no other information other than what was in the original bolo.

Just a tidbit for our new members...you should take a look in The Parking Lot if you are interested in scanner chatter etc.

Scanner chatter isn't allowed "up here" but lots of cases have very active scanner threads "downstairs" in the Parking Lot. A lot of times, I end up toggling between the upstairs thread and the downstairs scanner thread.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scanner Chatter :)

The Platte Canyon Fire Protection District is served by well trained volunteer fire fighters headquartered in Bailey.

Platte Canyon is a combination department. They have paid staff on duty 24/7 365 as well as some Volunteers that will come and help out on calls.

They did cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the house.

Platte Canyon is a combination department. They have paid staff on duty 24/7 365 as well as some Volunteers that will come and help out on calls.

They did cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the house.

:wagon:

The 911 call was made from the attic of a Mother in law house on the property, the caller was male, I have a friend of a friend that actually rents the upstairs bedroom of the mother in law house, it was probably him who called, I haven't been able to talk to him yet acted as displaced from his home and the gag order . 2of my friends were driving down 43 when they observed a beige mini van driving at excessive speeds down there driveway, once the driver hit 43 the minivan went all the way over to the shoulder of the other side of road, kicked up a bunch of rocks, my friends managed to get the licence plate number, they reported it. The whole thing stinks

If this is true. Then there’s the suspect. And if they know the plates of the van then I’m pretty sure the rope is closing in on him. The bolo issued also lines up with that description.

Wonder if they just want to keep it quiet so that the subject doesn’t know that authority’s know the van etc.

If this is true. Then there’s the suspect. And if they know the plates of the van then I’m pretty sure the rope is closing in on him. The bolo issued also lines up with that description.

Wonder if they just want to keep it quiet so that the subject doesn’t know that authority’s know the van etc.

He's not a suspect. At least in the normal sense. Anything is possible

He was one of the first people to be interviewed at the scene. He's the one that made the 911 call and I've heard that he lost all of his belongings in the fire and has been displaced.

Iv'e been trying to call him through family members, but I think he is wants to be under the radar at this moment.

That's all I can say.

He's not a suspect. At least in the normal sense. Anything is possible

He was one of the first people to be interviewed at the scene. He's the one that made the 911 call and I've heard that he lost all of his belongings in the fire and has been displaced.

Iv'e been trying to call him through family members, but I think he is wants to be under the radar at this moment.

That's all I can say.

I don’t mean the guy that rents the up stairs in the apartment that called 911. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he helped or something.

I meant in my earlier post the person driving the van coming out of the residence really fast. If that’s true then I would say that’s the suspect/suspects. And if they have the plate than that’s good

I don’t mean the guy that rents the up stairs in the apartment that called 911. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he helped or something.

I meant in my earlier post the person driving the van coming out of the residence really fast. If that’s true then I would say that’s the suspect/suspects. And if they have the plate than that’s good

My mistake. You reference two people in your post, I wasn't sure which one you were calling the suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro