CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

[…]
On Thursday, the jury and defendant will not be in the courtroom while attorneys debate jury instructions. The instructions will be read at 8 a.m. Friday before closing statements. The jury is expected to begin deliberation Friday afternoon.
[…]

[…]
On Thursday, the jury and defendant will not be in the courtroom while attorneys debate jury instructions. The instructions will be read at 8 a.m. Friday before closing statements. The jury is expected to begin deliberation Friday afternoon.
[…]

9/17/24

“Ahmad came out of the bathroom, and asked, ‘What are you doing? Why don’t you go to my room to talk to the guy who’s in my room?’” Mustafa Alissa said. “I said to him your door is open and no one is in there.”

Alissa testified that he believed that his 25-year-old son was possessed by a spirit called a jinn.

“I told you I’m not a doctor. I don’t know. But when a person behaves like him, we say they are possessed by a jinn. I don’t know the term they are using — schizophrenia. I don’t know what that is," he said.

According to Islamic Studies professor Andrea Stanton, a jinn is a “creature mention in the Qur’an who is considered lower than humans and with a ‘capricious’ nature.”

9/18/24

Wrapping up Wednesday's proceedings, Judge Ingrid Bakke decided Thursday the parties will work through jury instructions. Both the defendant and jury will not be present in court on Thursday.

The jury is expected to return to court on Friday morning where Judge Bakke is expected to read the jury instructions. She plans on around 2 1/2 hours for closing arguments before the jury begins deliberations.

More on Wed's defense witnesses and cross at link above.

The murder trial of Ahmad Alissa, who faces multiple charges in the killing of 10 people at a King Soopers in Table Mesa in Boulder three years ago, has reached its final days after two weeks of complex and often emotional testimony.

The prosecution and the defense made their closing arguments to the Boulder jurors on Friday.

It is rare that mass shooters go to trial because many of them are either killed by police, kill themselves or plead guilty.

The King Soopers Shooting case is believed to be the first time in Colorado that a jury has been tasked with determining the sanity of an accused mass shooter since the 2015 trial of Aurora Theater gunman James Holmes.

[…]

The murder trial of Ahmad Alissa, who faces multiple charges in the killing of 10 people at a King Soopers in Table Mesa in Boulder three years ago, has reached its final days after two weeks of complex and often emotional testimony.

The prosecution and the defense made their closing arguments to the Boulder jurors on Friday.

It is rare that mass shooters go to trial because many of them are either killed by police, kill themselves or plead guilty.

The King Soopers Shooting case is believed to be the first time in Colorado that a jury has been tasked with determining the sanity of an accused mass shooter since the 2015 trial of Aurora Theater gunman James Holmes.

[…]

I hope the jury returns a verdict before too long. I feel badly for Colorado that they had two such terrible mass shootings in recent years. It's a great place to live and people there are very friendly.

[…]

Assistant Boulder District Attorney Ken Kupfner quoted what Alissa told doctors: "I didn't commit the attack in January. Didn't commit the attack in February … because I was still practicing, and wasn't ready. By March I had enough practice."

Then, after dropping his brother off at work in Arvada, he drove to a bustling King Soopers at 2:30 p.m. nestled in a busy strip mall in Boulder.

He parked carefully, got weapons out of his car and killed three people in the parking lot — specifically people who were running away from him.

Then he went into the store and killed another seven people, also seemingly targeting people trying to get away. He then shot and killed a Boulder police officer, before surrendering to police.

The prosecution stressed that up to the attack and the day of, Alissa knew right from wrong and was not insane.

“He's functioning in his daily life. He's paying his bills, he's going to the gun stores and completing all the forms,” Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty said on Friday. “... He's driving to work and he's dropping others off at the restaurant and he's working as a cook at a restaurant.”

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33
Back