Found Deceased CO - Micah Tice, 20, hiker, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Longs Peak Trailhead, USAFA Cadet, 22 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First time in 20 years two hikers have been left unfound on Longs Peak over winter months.

Two hikers left missing on Colorado's Longs Peak

Tice, a student at the Air Force Academy preparatory school, was last seen Nov. 24 — the Saturday after Thanksgiving — hiking by himself on the trail up the 14,259-foot peak. His school contacted the national park when he didn’t show up for classes the following Monday.

The other missing hiker is Ryan Albert, 30, of New Jersey, who was reported overdue from a Longs Peak hike on Oct. 5. That search was suspended on Oct. 9.

Other hikers who saw Tice on the trail reported that they tried to discourage him from attempting to reach the summit because he seemed unprepared for the weather and trail conditions, a park press release said. He was wearing sweats and tennis shoes.

The searching done by NPS/SAR. Wonder how soon they can begin searching again. Always possible a random hiker will discover either Micah or Ryan, the two lost hikers on Longs Peak last fall.

Recent Search Activities For Micah Tice - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

ETA Not recent as in March 2019. Just a good coverage of where the searches looked back in December.
I think if they went missing in an area where hiking was possible they would have been found during the searches. In my opinion, it was a fall from a distance and the body is down in an area not accessible by foot.

I think if they went missing in an area where hiking was possible they would have been found during the searches. In my opinion, it was a fall from a distance and the body is down in an area not accessible by foot.

I am familiar with the area around Longs Peak and have hiked up to the Boulder Field and surrounding area many times. To say the area is massive is an understatement. The size and scale of this area alone makes it difficult to search. And the trail leading up to the Boulder Field / Keyhole area is quite steep throughout and makes for a strenuous climb, even before you get to the Keyhole some 6.5 miles from the trail head. Add to that potential sudden weather changes, high winds, heavy snowfall, avalanche risk and/or whiteout conditions, and a search can become very dangerous, very quickly.

While a fall from a distance is the most likely scenario, given the conditions in late November when Micah went missing, considering that he was seen wearing clothing unsuitable for a mountain climb, that he did not appear to have the appropriate equipment for the snowy / icy conditions that exist on the mountain 9 months of the year (climbing in such conditions requires an ice axe & crampons at a minimum), and the fact that there's still a lot of deep snow on the mountain, I believe it's also possible he was overcome by weather and may still be buried in one of the many snow fields that are still on the mountain. Colorado experienced historic snowfall this past winter, and it will likely take longer than normal for it to melt.

I did read the other day that another hiker attempting Longs Peak in early October (Ryan Albert) that went missing was found about a month ago, buried in snow beneath the Trough of the Keyhole Route on the mountain. Given where he was found, he likely died as a result of a fall.

How Rocky Mountain National Park rangers found body of Ryan Albert on Longs Peak

I do hope Micah is found soon. I can't even imagine what his family is going through. I will continue to pray for all of them.

I literally was just looking for an update on Micah about an hour ago. He popped into my thoughts and I checked on status update. Glad he has been found. It was probably only a matter of time..and better weather.

Remains of missing Air Force Academy cadet candidate likely found

Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue team members alongside private searchers reported they found items believed to belong to Micah Tice in a drainage area on Thursday. Park officials were notified Tice was missing on Nov. 26. Tice attended the US Air Force Prep School Academy.

The Boulder Brook drainage was one of the areas where initial search efforts were heavily focused. However, through the winter and spring, this area was covered in deep snow.

Wow! From your link:
Today, July 5, remains believed to be those of Micah Tice were found by Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue team members. On Thursday, July 4, private searchers affiliated with the Tice family, reported to park staff that they found items believed to belong to Tice below treeline in the Boulder Brook drainage. The Boulder Brook drainage was one of the areas where initial search efforts were heavily focused. However, through the winter and spring, this area was covered in deep snow.

I'm having some problems with my new laptop but is this the area that begins the Longs Peak - Keyhole Route? If so then it may be that Micah fell early on in his hike. Can someone verify the area while I fight with my computer? Thanks!
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/upload/keyhole_route_2011.pdf
And I'm glad his family finally knows what happened. RIP Micah.

Wow! From your link:

I'm having some problems with my new laptop but is this the area that begins the Longs Peak - Keyhole Route? If so then it may be that Micah fell early on in his hike. Can someone verify the area while I fight with my computer? Thanks!
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/upload/keyhole_route_2011.pdf
And I'm glad his family finally knows what happened. RIP Micah.

He may have planned to summit Longs via Boulder Brook. See below link:

Longs Peak Via Boulder Brook

I live in Estes and have been looking up at Longs quite a bit this Winter wondering when Micah and Ryan (second man that was missing all Winter) would be found. I am relieved that both are now located and the families are no longer wondering and in limbo. But still so tragic for both families! RIP Micah and Ryan!

MOO.

He may have planned to summit Longs via Boulder Brook. See below link:

Longs Peak Via Boulder Brook

I live in Estes and have been looking up at Longs quite a bit this Winter wondering when Micah and Ryan (second man that was missing all Winter) would be found. I am relieved that both are now located and the families are no longer wondering and in limbo. But still so tragic for both families! RIP Micah and Ryan!

MOO.
Micah's car was found at Long's Peak Trail Head. I read that Boulder Brook Trail begins elsewhere. You probably know better than I the layout of the trail system there and if they are close enough to each other.. I took it to mean that since he was found in the Boulder Brook drainage area (below tree level) that he possibly fell into this area from above somewhere or he was perhaps trying to descend and made it that far down. He was seen above tree level by the 2 hikers who tried to warn him about continuing. (Due to weather and the way Mica was dressed)

Definitely tragic and also preventable. Sad for the families and friends left behind as well as for these 2 young men. Seems they both had some dream or vision to accomplish the task of climbing this mountain, but the times of year they close were not optimum.

I'm glad they both have been found.

Micah's car was found at Long's Peak Trail Head. I read that Boulder Brook Trail begins elsewhere. You probably know better than I the layout of the trail system there and if they are close enough to each other.. I took it to mean that since he was found in the Boulder Brook drainage area (below tree level) that he possibly fell into this area from above somewhere or he was perhaps trying to descend and made it that far down. He was seen above tree level by the 2 hikers who tried to warn him about continuing. (Due to weather and the way Mica was dressed)

Definitely tragic and also preventable. Sad for the families and friends left behind as well as for these 2 young men. Seems they both had some dream or vision to accomplish the task of climbing this mountain, but the times of year they close were not optimum.

I'm glad they both have been found.

Oh, yes, with car parked at Long's Peak trailhead, he wouldn't have planned the trail i mentioned as he would have parked at Bear Lake or Glacier Gorge. Sorry about that! I have Friday evening brain...:oops:

He was last seen around 7:30 AM above tree line in blizzard conditions. Tree line is at about 11,000 feet and 2.5 miles from the trailhead. He could have fallen or gotten lost. I personally think he may have gotten disoriented and lost and would have sadly not lasted long the way he was dressed. I can't quite picture where he would have fallen. It's not steep right after leaving treeline. But then again, we don't know exactly how far above treeline, right? Did the 2 hikers give any indication at what elevation they saw Micah?

I attached a few pics to give idea what terrain looks like right above treeline. Pics were taken from 14ers.com • Longs Peak | Route Description | Keyhole Route

The third pic is pic of Longs taken a few days ago.

MOO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190705-221059_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190705-221059_Chrome.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20190705-221122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190705-221122_Chrome.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20190702-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190702-WA0003.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 34

Attachments

• Longs-Peak-Trail-Signage-Courtesy-Rocky-Mountain-National-Park_1.jpg
    Longs-Peak-Trail-Signage-Courtesy-Rocky-Mountain-National-Park_1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 19
Thread will be updated when identification has been fully confirmed (see above posted bits stating "believed to be")

Rangers have completed an on scene investigation and recovery operations are taking place. His remains will be transferred to the Larimer County Coroner’s Office. Larimer County Coroner’s office will not release positive identification until completion of an autopsy.
Recovery Operations For Micah Tice - Missing Since November - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

For his family's sake, I'm glad he has been found. I wish the hikers that found him trying to hike into severe winter weather in basically "street clothes" with no gear had been able to persuade him to return to safety but I know they tried.

Oh, yes, with car parked at Long's Peak trailhead, he wouldn't have planned the trail i mentioned as he would have parked at Bear Lake or Glacier Gorge. Sorry about that! I have Friday evening brain...:oops:

He was last seen around 7:30 AM above tree line in blizzard conditions. Tree line is at about 11,000 feet and 2.5 miles from the trailhead. He could have fallen or gotten lost. I personally think he may have gotten disoriented and lost and would have sadly not lasted long the way he was dressed. I can't quite picture where he would have fallen. It's not steep right after leaving treeline. But then again, we don't know exactly how far above treeline, right? Did the 2 hikers give any indication at what elevation they saw Micah?

I attached a few pics to give idea what terrain looks like right above treeline. Pics were taken from 14ers.com • Longs Peak | Route Description | Keyhole Route

The third pic is pic of Longs taken a few days ago.

MOO.
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them. I've never climbed Longs Peak, but I admit the many times I was in that area, in Estes, in Grand Lake and all around RMNP, there is a certain enchantment about that mountain that made me consider it. It's probably the only mountain I've ever felt that tiny pull towards climbing...that and because my hiking companion had always wanted to do t as well. But, it never happened and personally I know enough about myself that it would have been too difficult. Up to Emerald Lake was one spot that offered spectacular views of Longs Peak. That and the hike at Alpine Visitors Center were uphill enough for me at those altitudes.

It does help me understand the mindset of Micah and Ryan, that and perhaps a bit of naiveté from young eager personalities.. That is an opinion of course, but in Micah's case especially, it seems he was determined despite the weather and the warnings, and was ill-prepared. And Ryan, being from NJ as am I, who knows how prepared he was to hike that mountain late in the year. RIP to both young men and lives lost too soon.

And no worries about Friday brain thinking...just look at those typos in my post. I can't blame them all on autocorrect. :)

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them. I've never climbed Longs Peak, but I admit the many times I was in that area, in Estes, in Grand Lake and all around RMNP, there is a certain enchantment about that mountain that made me consider it. It's probably the only mountain I've ever felt that tiny pull towards climbing...that and because my hiking companion had always wanted to do t as well. But, it never happened and personally I know enough about myself that it would have been too difficult. Up to Emerald Lake was one spot that offered spectacular views of Longs Peak. That and the hike at Alpine Visitors Center were uphill enough for me at those altitudes.

It does help me understand the mindset of Micah and Ryan, that and perhaps a bit of naiveté from young eager personalities.. That is an opinion of course, but in Micah's case especially, it seems he was determined despite the weather and the warnings, and was ill-prepared. And Ryan, being from NJ as am I, who knows how prepared he was to hike that mountain late in the year. RIP to both young men and lives lost too soon.

And no worries about Friday brain thinking...just look at those typos in my post. I can't blame them all on autocorrect. :)

Yes, I feel the exact same way. Long's definitely pulls people in. It's just a beautiful, dramatic mountain in addition to being the highest peak in RMNP. I think for many people visiting, climbing Long's is the highlight of their trip. However, every year several people are rescued off the mountain that are under the impression that making it to the top is a "walk in the park". Stories are being told that people attempt to summit in flipflops (i hope that is dramatized, but you get the idea) .... Some people just underestimate that mountain and truly believe it's a walk/hike, which it isn't. So yes, i totally get Ryan's and Micah's wish to summit Long's. But especially in Fall/Winter it is recommended to bring crampons, helmet, ice ax etc and winter mountaineering skills.

I never summited either. Chasm Lake is as far as i have gone up... I would never be able to cross the Ledges and Narrows sections... Very narrow path combined with big drop off... can't do, unfortunately. But i sure wish i could... The mountain is SO tempting... spell binding.

I just think Micah and Ryan underestimated Long's like many other people do. Both may have made it up and down safely in the Summer, but in Winter Long's is a whole different animal.

Another Long's pics taken in May. I think half of the pics on my phone are Long's....

Attachments

• 20190510_190134.jpg
    20190510_190134.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 27
I'm so glad that Micah was found for his family's sake. RIP Micah. Condolences to his family and friends.

ETA: Thanks to the S&R for continuing their search for Micah until he was found, and to the hikers that did their best to warn Micah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
extremevertigo
Back