CO CO - Oakey 'Al' Kite, 53, Aurora, 22 May 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that's an intriguing question, WI1987. It's something to look into, at least, but where they would start I couldn't imagine. I'm sure thousands upon thousands of people moved through Livermore Lab over the years. Probably tens of thousands once you start adding in contractors and the like. Another problem with this line of inquiry is that the killer apparently scoped out a few other victims before settling on Al Kite. That means there might not be any connection, through work or otherwise, to Al.

I'd love to see this resolved, but it's about as close to the perfect crime as you can get. I just don't see the cops cracking this case based on what I've read over the years. My hope is that they have some substantial evidence they never released to the public so that they could identify the real killer should he ever turn up as well as weed out the crackpots that like to confess to crimes they didn't commit.

There are some strong similarities between the murderer of Al Kite and Israel Keyes...

Have a look on the FB page called "Have You Ever met Israel Keyes? Possible Serial Killer" for a comparison between the suspect from the ATM photo and actual photos of Israel Keyes.

Thanks for bumping this thread Geojeffrey.....I didn't know it existed! I have followed Al Kite's murder for quite a while....it's one of those that is so terrifying that it just stays with you.

Off to read thru this thread.....Israel Keyes....interesting....!

Some websites (AMW is one) that used to have more info on Al Kite's murder are no longer available.

I recall seeing several pics of the perp from an ATM camera If anyone knows where to find these pics, it would be very helpful (the FBI has only 1 pic posted on the web).

Also, Al Kite's murderer was said to have a foreign accent that is commonly thought to be a ruse. Israel Keyes was Amish, I wonder if he purposefully used an Amish accent to confuse witnesses?

Interesting idea about Keyes, but Al's killer was described as being in his 40s. Keyes would've been in his early or mid 20s when Al was killed.

true. but also, investigators have said that most everything that witnesses reported about the suspect are questionable because the perp went to extreme great lengths to cover his tracks....

Keyes changed his appearance frequently. There are a lot of pictures out there of him with various hair styles and facial hair its pretty disturbing. None of them resemble the other IMO.

Hi All, New to forum. I just watched Al's story on Netflix on the Psychic show. I am really not anywhere as tuned into sleuthing as you seem to be, and I'm not sure what media brought this to mind, but the method in which he was killed just screamed "former Eastern Block USSR professional" to me. There was absolutely NOTHING about what was done to him that wasn't consistent with a trained and experienced professional. From setting up confusing visual images, to surveilling his home, to a complex restraint rope tie, to using his own knives, to showering after it was done, to soaking the knives in bleach, etc.

Now, why Al? It could be this guy just wanted to make sure he wasn't out of practice before stepping up to some paying jobs. Getting a little bit of money out of the ATM may have simply been to get some gas money. OR since part of the fraud to get to Al was the room rental, maybe he was just trying to recoup his "investment" in the experiment.

The fall of the former Soviet Union has released some truly cold, calculating and highly trained killers into the "job market."

My sincere condolences to his family. I wish the best to FBI, Interpol, and everyone else who will be chasing these ghost assassins.

Hi All, New to forum. I just watched Al's story on Netflix on the Psychic show. I am really not anywhere as tuned into sleuthing as you seem to be, and I'm not sure what media brought this to mind, but the method in which he was killed just screamed "former Eastern Block USSR professional" to me. There was absolutely NOTHING about what was done to him that wasn't consistent with a trained and experienced professional. From setting up confusing visual images, to surveilling his home, to a complex restraint rope tie, to using his own knives, to showering after it was done, to soaking the knives in bleach, etc.

Now, why Al? It could be this guy just wanted to make sure he wasn't out of practice before stepping up to some paying jobs. Getting a little bit of money out of the ATM may have simply been to get some gas money. OR since part of the fraud to get to Al was the room rental, maybe he was just trying to recoup his "investment" in the experiment.

The fall of the former Soviet Union has released some truly cold, calculating and highly trained killers into the "job market."

My sincere condolences to his family. I wish the best to FBI, Interpol, and everyone else who will be chasing these ghost assassins.
Glad to see I am not the only one who sees a possible former Soviet Bloc connection. Those former KGB/GRU are pretty scary people. All of your possibilities are good guesses ... however we could just as easily be totally wrong.

Ive been following this case since I saw it on AMW back in 2006. Two years since my post and we are no closer to solving Al's murder ... maybe someday.

Glad to hear someone did a show about Al. The trained killer/assassin angle has definitely been put forth before. There seems to be so little information available on the Internet anymore. It's been almost 10 years now and hopefully something comes to light.

Glad to hear someone did a show about Al. The trained killer/assassin angle has definitely been put forth before. There seems to be so little information available on the Internet anymore. It's been almost 10 years now and hopefully something comes to light.

My opinions only, no facts here:

I was approached by another to evaluate this case. Upon reading about it, I was impressed with how odd and unusual the circumstances are. The person who approached me gave me a link to an ATM pic of the POI. I love this pic. It is much better than many of the images I have enhanced in the past. Plus, the pic tells me a great deal about the person behind the ski-mask. He dared to show me 1/4th of his face and that is a generous gift from my standpoint. I am working on the enhancement and analysis of the ATM pic now.

Mr. Noatak--

this is very exciting news! We look forward to seeing the results?

Do you see any resemblance to Israel Keyes??

Mr. Noatak--

this is very exciting news! We look forward to seeing the results?

Do you see any resemblance to Israel Keyes??

Superficially. However Israel Keyes had very low-set ears. The Al Kite POI has ears located much higher on the head.

I'm going to attach a photo of the POI and of Israel Keyes...what do you think??

Keyes has lower-set ears and the shape of his nose is different. Keyes has less-prominent cheekbones. Keyes is a reasonable suspect; but I think he is not the man in the ATM pic. I could well be wrong.

There was a realtor murdered in Washington state Mike Emmet ( ? spelling). Very similar description as to the "accent", and the set up leading to the killing. There is a thread here for Mike. Mike's killer was an ex LEO who did hits for cash. He is now deceased. LE found his DNA at the crime scene. No idea why he was hired to kill Mike. Who might have benefited by Al's murder ?

I am Mr. Noatak! A long-time poster of timelines, scenarios, theories, and enhanced images on Websleuths.

At the request of another member, I have studied the ATM surveillance camera image of the POI in the Al Kite murder case (see the attached image with this post). I had not heard about this case until several days ago. This image of a person in a vehicle is very blurry, looks like a night-time snap, and the suspect is wearing a ski mask that covers about 75% of his face. Somehow, this statement sounds like the Blues Brothers movie: "we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses".

The ATM image in the Al Kite case is not hopeless, in my reality. Even though only 25% of the face is exposed, the ski-mask hugs the head tightly. This allows one to estimate the topography of the face that is beneath the superficial mask, presented as darker and lighter pixels. He should have worn a cheap plastic Halloween face-mask instead; then I would not be presenting this post!

The general appearance and shape of the head and the exposed portion of the face is decidedly masculine, so I will assume that this is a man. He appears to be younger than 40 years (but AMWfans.com says he is in his forties at the time of the crime).

The head is slightly thinner horizontally than a “full face”.

The man is not large and might be between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 10 inches, with a weight of 150 to 170 pounds (but AMWfans.com says 5 feet 10 inches and 180 pounds).

The skin-tones are light-complected, although not necessarily fair-enough to imply red or blonde hair. I suspect dark brown to black hair. I see wrinkles in the ski mask where it covers the forehead, suggesting coarseness of hair and implying that this man is not bald nor has a shaven head. I see no evidence for significant facial hair (whiskers). The POI is likely clean-shaven on the face and generally takes good care of his appearance. He combs his hair such that it is 'trained' to be near-horizontal at the top of his forehead, and may even anoint his hair with oil or hair cream. If so, he may be vain. He may have few or no tattoos.

The nose is straight and well-formed, but is not pointed at the tip, and not particularly convex or concave along the central ridge. It might be slightly snub (a tad short in total length). It may be somewhere between a non-hooked aquiline (i.e. Roman) and a Redknapp nose.

The cheekbones look modestly prominent. The mere fact that the ski-mask hugs the underside of his cheekbones, suggests their eminence. I tend to associate such cheekbones with vertically-thinner lips (70 to 90 percent of the vertical thickness of average lips). In the ATM pic, his mouth’s position under the ski-mask can be ascertained by a slight indentation/darkening in the image (this is VERY subtle and some of you may not see it). This is caused by his breathing-in and/or moisture on that part of the ski-mask.

The ears are well-placed (his left ear is crudely outlined under his ski-mask), high on the head and of proper proportions. This man is NOT ugly. He is probably slightly above-average in appearance and of above-average intelligence.

Based upon the ATM pic, his ski mask is not a color such as medium/dark blue, black, or brown. I would guess that it is tan or at least any color of light shade. He is wearing a white long-sleeved shirt. Almost like a dress-shirt with the cuffs rolled-back. The position of his left arm prevents me from seeing if he has a tie.

His attitude in the ATM pic is somewhat evident. He is staring straight ahead with a purposeful possessed-in-deep-thought look (a ‘steely’ gaze). He has the appearance of someone completing a pre-planned event. I suspect that he is obsessive-compulsive in his general life AND occasionally is manic. Yet, I doubt that he has a drug or alcohol problem and I doubt that he is schizophrenic. I would also guess that he lacks the typical child-history of torturing animals; rather, later disappointments in his life coupled with organic brain problems have pushed him to this behavior.

Let me point out something important that is easily overlooked. This man is alone at an ATM. He could easily cover his whole face (except the eyes). Instead, he provides 25% of his face to be seen. This is a taunt to authorities. He knew that he was on-camera and he loved it. Maybe he failed in the past at trying to become a law officer/FBI agent and is now trying to show that all law officers are inferior to him. He is superior to them because he committed murder and is dancing around and taunting them and they cannot identify him. I suggest that his obsessive-compulsive character has made him revengeful as well as possessive and jealous at times. Thus, he may have previously run afoul of stalking or harassment laws. I do not see him as a serial killer by rote; rather someone who is introverted and has unpredictable reactions to perceived insults.

UPDATE: Since I never heard about this case until several days ago, I did not realize that there were police composite sketches of the POI until after I finished my enhancement of the ATM image! So, I pasted the police composite sketches to my attached enhancement image, for all to see and compare. Particularly, look at the police composite sketch on the left. I do believe that the noses are a bit too long in both police composite sketches. Hopefully, some good will come of my effort in this important and fascinating mystery. I hope that more posters come here and contribute their knowledge and insight to this case.

Sleuth On!

Attachments

• AlKite_case_POI_enhancement.jpg
    AlKite_case_POI_enhancement.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 153
I had read that at one point in his life that Al Kite had worked as an Accounting Systems Manager at Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

Is it possible that he was tortured to reveal information such as maybe a home address of an employee? Could his murder be national security related? His killer was obviously a professional and it's not unheard of for former Soviet Bloc intelligence agents or special forces to "freelance" for some not so nice people. Maybe the accent was real.

Perhaps the link is the lab. Here's another murder of a Livermore employee, from 4 years prior to Al's death. I see some similarities. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Livermore-Engineer-s-Mysterious-Death-3240466.php

Wow! This is the closest thing to a lead that has been posted in a long time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back