Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

Jumping off your post, I know CR mentioned that a car pulled up next to her, but I'm wondering if in JJ's case if the use of a motorcycle could have been employed.

Possibly. The shooter seems to be targeting people that are traveling alone, which makes sense. If your window suddenly explodes you're going to be much more focused on trying to control the vehicle and stop than looking around to see who is around you. But a passenger would be more likely to see a shooter. I wouldnt be surprised to see the shooter change tactics a bit now that there is a lot of awareness and people and LE are alert. Maybe he moves to a slightly different location, perhaps a little further north or south in I-25, or maybe a bit to the east along US85. I think an east or west shift is less likely. I think he must be familiar with the area he has been active in, knows roads to use to leave the area. So perhaps he is reluctant to use areas he is less familiar with. Could be scouting new areas/roads these last 2 weeks.

Wait, there was another shattering yesterday??

Yes, "A driver-side truck window was shattered on Lincoln Ave. in Fort Collins, outside of Odell Brewery on 6/1/15". That according to a map by the Coloradoan that is linked to an old story, and is very incomplete, but included that update.

My bet is that we are only hearing about some of the shootings, just the ones that get reported to LE, and from LE to MSM and from MSM to us. That May 19, 2015 report by Marshall Zelinger 7 News Denver that generated so many additional reports was only based on fresh reporting of Weld county incidents reports received in April, and wouldn't have included incidents from surrounding counties, including Larimar, which sits astride the northern end of I-25, and might not include more recent ones even in Weld Cnty. And we only got the reports because a reporter asked for them. We might be seeing a fall off in shootings in May because we're missing reports.

EDITED TO ADD:
I see that Margarita just posted a link to a new story with the same Coloradoan map attached to it. That's the one. I had, by luck, visited the map before they published the story.

Thank you, magz, I hadn't seen the story. It doesn't seem to eliminate any of the incidents from the map that I can tell. Forager is checking it, as he'd have a better grasp of it.

No evidence object penetrated shattered window on Lincoln
Coloradoan Staff, 9:37 p.m. MDT June 2, 2015

Fort Collins Polices, spokesman, Sgt. Dean Cunningham states

"Crime-scene investigators thoroughly searched the scene for any evidence that an object penetrated the window, but were unable to find anything,"

"He said witnesses said a dump truck was passing by around the time the window was shattered, so road debris is being considered as a strong possibility."

Possibly. The shooter seems to be targeting people that are traveling alone, which makes sense. If your window suddenly explodes you're going to be much more focused on trying to control the vehicle and stop than looking around to see who is around you. But a passenger would be more likely to see a shooter. I wouldn't be surprised to see the shooter change tactics a bit now that there is a lot of awareness and people and LE are alert. Maybe he moves to a slightly different location, perhaps a little further north or south in I-25, or maybe a bit to the east along US85. I think an east or west shift is less likely. I think he must be familiar with the area he has been active in, knows roads to use to leave the area. So perhaps he is reluctant to use areas he is less familiar with. Could be scouting new areas/roads these last 2 weeks.

You sounds very reasonable, PaireWind, with your thoughts here. What zapped mentioned about the shooter being from some place else could very well be true too, as it would be reasonable. Well here's me departing from reason: Whatever is driving this shooter, the anger seems focused here, in this area. This is where the shooter wants to shine. It seems a very small world inside whatever head is driving this. It may mean something to the shooter that people here have fear. Maybe the shooter is somehow poised to gauge some reaction locally that they relish, on weekends. Maybe they like to console a group or a person away from the fear they instill in them, or to watch it happen, who knows. Maybe there is a group, or everyone he deals with he enjoys seeing bothered by this.

You sounds very reasonable, PaireWind, with your thoughts here. What zapped mentioned about the shooter being from some place else could very well be true too, as it would be reasonable. Whatever is driving this shooter, the anger seems focused here, in this area, this is where the shooter wants to shine. A very small world inside whatever head is driving this. It means something to the shooter that people here have fear, maybe the shooter is somehow poised to gauge some reaction locally that they relish. Maybe they like to console a group or a person away from the fear they instill in them, who knows. Maybe there is a group, or everyone he deals with he enjoys seeing bothered by this.

Certainly could be that the shooter is a college student. Lived somewhere else but came to school in Ft. Collins or Greeley. Familiarized himself with the area before the shootings. In which case, now that summer is here, shootings could stop. The thing that strikes me about the area of the shootings (those on I-25 at least) is that the area is ideal for the shooter. There are plenty of on/off ramps in that area, lots of development, but still open areas with fields and trees, lots of roads to utilize. Go further south, there is much more development and traffic can get congested, could get caught in traffic and seen. Go further north and there are fewer exits and roads and traffic is less, fewer roads to escape on and could stand out more. So, the more I think about it, it is possible the shooter could try to move to a different location, but I bet he returns to this area.

Certainly could be that the shooter is a college student. Lived somewhere else but came to school in Ft. Collins or Greeley. Familiarized himself with the area before the shootings. In which case, now that summer is here, shootings could stop. The thing that strikes me about the area of the shootings (those on I-25 at least) is that the area is ideal for the shooter. There are plenty of on/off ramps in that area, lots of development, but still open areas with fields and trees, lots of roads to utilize. Go further south, there is much more development and traffic can get congested, could get caught in traffic and seen. Go further north and there are fewer exits and roads and traffic is less, fewer roads to escape on and could stand out more. So, the more I think about it, it is possible the shooter could try to move to a different location, but I bet he returns to this area.

Thank you for these observations, it helps to know. The timing may have something to do with the area too or access to vehicles, it may be too? It could be somebody who then leaves the car used during the shooting off somewhere soon after the shooting and switches back to their own car.

Possibly. The shooter seems to be targeting people that are traveling alone, which makes sense. If your window suddenly explodes you're going to be much more focused on trying to control the vehicle and stop than looking around to see who is around you. But a passenger would be more likely to see a shooter. I wouldnt be surprised to see the shooter change tactics a bit now that there is a lot of awareness and people and LE are alert. Maybe he moves to a slightly different location, perhaps a little further north or south in I-25, or maybe a bit to the east along US85. I think an east or west shift is less likely. I think he must be familiar with the area he has been active in, knows roads to use to leave the area. So perhaps he is reluctant to use areas he is less familiar with. Could be scouting new areas/roads these last 2 weeks.

I think this all makes sense, Prairiewind, thanks for posting.

Your last sentence gives me chills, to think that a"scouting phase" could be in process...

Man, they've got to get this person...

I'm interested in the psychological aspect, what type of person would commit this crime...that's it, I'm calling Foxfire in, our resident serial killer expert imo who is always handy with articles and resources.

I think this all makes semse, Prairiewind, thanks for posting.

Your last sentence gives me chills, to think that a"scouting phase" could be in process...

Man, they've got to get this person...

I'm interested in the psychological aspect, what type of person would commit this crime...that's it, I'm calling Foxfire in, our resident serial killer expert imo who is always handy with articles and resources.

magz, that is a fantastic idea, asking Foxfire to help. Looking forward to it a lot.

I'm in the process ofresearching past serial shooters, who they were, the psychological aspects, etc.

Check this out:

"A serial killer is a person who murders three or more people,[1][2] usually due toabnormal psychological gratification, with the murders totaling more than a month's time and including a significant break (a "cooling off period") between each of them.[3][4] Some sources, such as the FBI, disregard the "three or more" criterion and define the term as "a series of two or more murders, committed as separate events, usually, but not always, by one offender acting alone".[4][5]

Although psychological gratification is the usual motive for serial killing, and most serial killings involve sexual contact with the victim,[6] the FBI states that the motives of serial killers can include anger, thrill, financial gain, and*attention seeking.[5]The murders may be attempted or completed in a similar fashion and the victims may have something in common: race, appearance, sex, or age group, for example.[7]

Serial killing is not the same as mass murdering, nor is it spree killing, in which murders are committed in two or more locations in a short time. However, cases of extended bouts of sequential killings over periods of weeks or months with no apparent "cooling off period" or "return to normalcy" have caused some experts to suggest a hybrid category of "spree-serial killer".[8]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer

So, according to the text above, it seems this would be classified as "spree-killing".
And if there is not a cooling off period, it could be considered the hybrid category of "spree-serial killer".

So, what do these 2 victims have in common:

1. Traveling / going somewhere /enroute.
2. Location / proximity
3. One person (no passenger).

I can't seem to think of anything else....anyone?

Things they do not have in common:

1. Gender
2. Race
3. Mode of travel
4. Day/time of incidents

A thought---how old are the victims, need to go back, just wondering, not that it has anything to do with anything...

LE has stated that they believe these victims were randomly chosen.

So, other than being a single occupant, and perhaps being in a physical location which provides a convenient opening/escape, is there something else in particular which might make one person over another be more prone to being "chosen" a potential victim?

Spree killer:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer

"A spree killer is someone who kills two or more victims in a short time in multiple locations. The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics defines a spree killing as "killings at two or more locations with almost no time break between murders".[1]"

"According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the general definition of spree killer is a person (or more than one person) who commits two or more murders without a cooling-off period; the lack of a cooling-off period marking the difference between a spree killer and a serial killer. The category has, however, been found to be of no real value to law enforcement, because of definitional problems relating to the concept of a "cooling-off period".[2] Serial killers commit clearly separate murders, happening at different times. Mass murderers are defined by one incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders.[2]

How to distinguish a spree killer from a mass murderer, or from a serial killer, is subject to considerable debate, and the term is not consistently applied, even within the academic literature. For example, The Encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment lists five different categories of spree killers and cites Mark O. Barton as an example for the second one.[3] He is also noted with other mass murderers, such as Patrick Sherrill, in the respective entry about mass murder.[4] In The Anatomy Of Motive, John E. Douglas cites Charles Starkweather and Andrew Cunanan as examples of spree killers,[5] while Jack Levin calls Starkweather a mass murderer[6] and Cunanan a serial killer.[7]"

The young woman who was shot in the neck is 20 years old. Jacob Jacoby was 48, rest in peace.

Wait a minute---

Let's take a look at both incidents that occurred on 4/22, they day Romero was shot.
From Forager's spreadsheet above, it appears that there was a report of a window shattering on the same day at 9:50 pm, east Eisenhower Blvd, east on US 34 near N. Cleveland (Loveland Police).

A couple things to ponder IF there is a possible connection between these 2 incidents:

The incidents occurred an hour and 20 minutes apart (how far apart exactly, distance wise?).
It would appear that if these are connected, the perp was on a mission that night---the first attempt was unsuccessful, he/she was going for a shot landed...

I think if we compare incidents by date, it could be useful:

I'm going to compare the incidents to each other that occurred on 4/23, 3 of them.

And 4/29. 3 of them.

I need to go back, there was one day I thought that there were reports of 6 incidents...

Qmfr:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/7news-uses-police-reports-to-break-down-the-car-window-incidents-on-northern-colorado-highways[/url]

"April 23: Weld County Road 49 at Weld County Road 24

Driver's side window of a semi-truck shattered as it traveled southbound to Interstate 76.

April 23: Southbound I-25 at mile marker 248

Abandoned truck had its back window shattered.

April 23: Southbound Weld County Road 57 and Highway 392

The back window of the vehicle shattered."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...indow-incidents-on-northern-colorado-highways

Let's compare the incidents that occurred on April 23.

Qmfr:

"April 24: Eastbound Highway 34 and Weld County Road 89

Driver reported the driver's side window shattered at the same time a semi-truck drove by. He reported the incident now because of the news of other car windows being shattered.

April 24: Westbound Weld County Road 18 and Weld County Road 53

The driver was reporting an incident from January 23. He said he saw a small flash and then something hit his windshield. He reported the incident now because of the news of other car windows being shattered.

April 24: Weld County Road 7 and Weld County Road 46

The driver was reporting an incident from September 2013. Her pickup truck passenger side window shattered. She reported the incident now because of the news of other car windows being shattered."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...indow-incidents-on-northern-colorado-highways

"April 24: Southbound I-25 at mile marker 243

The driver was reporting an incident from April 8. She said her rear window shattered. She reported the incident now because of the news of other car windows being shattered.

April 24: Southbound Highway 257 and Poudre Trail Drive

The driver was reporting an incident from April 16. She had a hole in the center of her windshield.

April 24: Southbound I-25 at mile marker 245

The driver was reporting an incident from February 22. He had a baseball-sized hole in his rear window."

(*wow, lots on April 24th, six total)

Let's also compare to each other the incidents that occurred on April 24th.

Wait a minute, April 21, the one on the jail van, was confirmed to be a paintball gun?

Hard to keep track of all of this...

Qmfr:
"April 21: Northbound I-25 at mile marker 246

A Larimer County Sheriff's Office transport van had its front passenger window shot out by a paintball gun.

Paintball gun :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member