CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooting from exit ramps would probably offer a safer getaway than shooting from on ramps. I'll have to see how that stacks up with what we know about some of the other I-25 incidents.

I tested this idea against our listing of I-25 attacks, but don't think I can make much of a case for it. Shooting from off ramps seems to fit a few of the cases cleanly, but so does shooting from the on ramp, and a number of others window shatterings are clearly out of range of either on or off ramps.

Could be that proximity to the ramps give the perp/s access to whatever process or technique required to get away clean, so far. That means in all this time, nobody has noticed anyone suspicious setting up. It could possibly be somebody on foot, perched high, able to blend in, who then walks to their car parked on the roads off the ramps, after a hit.

How would they monitor for the traffic around the car targeted, police in the area, if they're not already stalking it in another car?

I still think it could be more than one person coordinating and using different methods and techniques, as they've progressed, taking shots at cars on I 25.

I tested this idea against our listing of I-25 attacks, but don't think I can make much of a case for it. Shooting from off ramps seems to fit a few of the cases cleanly, but so does shooting from the on ramp, and a number of others window shatterings are clearly out of range of either on or off ramps.

Suspect sought who allegedly shot Commerce City cop during traffic stop
POSTED 11:19 AM, NOVEMBER 8, 2015
http://kdvr.com/2015/11/08/suspect-sought-who-allegedly-shot-commerce-city-cop-during-traffic-stop/

"The suspect is described as a white male in his late 40’s or early 50’s, with brown hair, thin build, wearing glasses and a black and white scarf around his neck."

Note: the age on this guy is about what Foxfire was guessing for the shooter. Commerce City is right btw 76 & 270 where I 25 ends.

Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 2.36.08 PM.png

NOCO Shootings Map

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...hot-in-commerce-city-suspect-sought/75414192/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/officer-wounded-during-traffic-stop-in-commerce-city

Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 3.14.23 PM.png

1998 Pathfinder

Off Topic:

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1115/severalcarwindowsshotoutandshattered.html

Suspect sought who allegedly shot Commerce City cop during traffic stop
POSTED 11:19 AM, NOVEMBER 8, 2015
http://kdvr.com/2015/11/08/suspect-sought-who-allegedly-shot-commerce-city-cop-during-traffic-stop/

"The suspect is described as a white male in his late 40’s or early 50’s, with brown hair, thin build, wearing glasses and a black and white scarf around his neck."

Note: the age on this guy is about what Foxfire was guessing for the shooter.

Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 3.47.05 PM.png

NOCO Shootings Map

<snipped>

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/officer-wounded-during-traffic-stop-in-commerce-city

View attachment 84021

You read something like this and remember why cops can get so up tight and quick triggered. Thank god for those vests.

I've replaced the screen shot above with one that marks the approximate location of the officer's shooting as an orange teardrop. The shooting happened in what I used to think of as the "swath of sanity", a zone just north of Denver where we've seen no highway shootigs or shatterings this year or last.

Could this be one of the guys involved in the highway shootings north or south of Denver? If he is, I wonder how likely it is that LE could link him to any of the cases we have been following. From the light reading I did on ballistic matching while following the Phoenix shooting, I have the impression that it takes a bit of luck to make a tight ballistic match even when you have the right bullet and the right gun. And of course, no projectiles have been found in connection with any of the NoCO shatterings to match to anyway.

You read something like this and remember why cops can get so up tight and quick triggered. Thank god for those vests.

I've replaced the screen shot above with one that marks the approximate location of the officer's shooting as an orange teardrop. The shooting happened in what I used to think of as the "swath of sanity", a zone just north of Denver where we've seen no highway shootigs or shatterings this year or last.

Could this be one of the guys involved in the highway shootings north or south of Denver? If he is, I wonder how likely it is that LE could link him to any of the cases we have been following. From the light reading I did on ballistic matching while following the Phoenix shooting, I have the impression that it takes a bit of luck to make a tight ballistic match even when you have the right bullet and the right gun. And of course, no projectiles have been found in connection with any of the NoCO shatterings to match to anyway.

Yes, that was one brave officer. Thank goodness he had the vest. Look how isolated a spot it is.

Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 4.42.31 PM.jpg Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 4.43.47 PM.jpg Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 4.34.50 PM.jpg Screenshot 2015-11-08 at 5.10.46 PM.jpg

"the officer is expected to be OK. The officer's ballistic vest stopped the bullet fired at his chest, but the shooting happened at close range and still caused serious injuries, according to police.

"There is significant trauma that occurs to the body when a bullet strikes you," said Commerce City Cmdr. Dennis Moon.

"After (the officer) was shot, he did return fire at the vehicle," ... "So the vehicle may have damage to the rear with bullet holes in the back of the car.""

The shooter's identity should be known, provided that the vehicle or license plate were not stolen. Hopefully the shooter will be apprehended alive and will provide some long awaited answers if connected to the NOCO Hwy shooting incidents..

re: "The suspect is described as a white male in his late 40’s or early 50’s, with brown hair, thin build, wearing glasses and a black and white scarf around his neck."

'Wondering what's up with the white neck scarf'?

<snipped from article> Commerce City officer shot in chest during routine traffic stop
Police searching for maroon Nissan Pathfinder

Police said he was driving a maroon Nissan Pathfinder. It's described as a late-90s model with Colorado plates, possibly 679UNZ or 697UNZ.

That view is of he victim car after it pulled over to the side of northbound I-25 and north of the overpass. (The photographer is looking southwest. He is standing on the eastern side of I-25 just about 100 yards north of the highway 7 overpass). The window shattered while the driver was still south of the overpass.

But it's academic. One side of the overpass looks very much like the other, with easy access and lots of places to hop into a car. To judge from the photo you posted, you could sit in the passenger seat of a car and shoot down at the road from the overpass or the exit ramp. The ranges involved are well with the capacity of a strong airgun rifle or a 22 pistol.

Shooting from exit ramps would probably offer a safer getaway than shooting from on ramps. I'll have to see how that stacks up with what we know about some of the other I-25 incidents.

I do think RAMPS were near many of the shootings from what I remember.

From what I remember about some of the others there were exit + entrance ramps around lots of the shootings. Some of the vehicles that were hit took awhile to stop and when looking back at a map there was exit ramp that could have been where shot took place.

Some of the victims took awhile to realize what had happened and by the time they pull over it may have been some distance from where shot took place and it seems to me that RAMPS are near a lot of them.

The person gets away without being seen so I have to think 2 people working in tandem in a vehicle is what is going on in a lot of the shootings. The driver main job would be to stop and wait for the command to take off.

One person could do it but it would be easier if 2 people were in a vehicle on one of those ramps that give a vantage point to the highway.

Either video review or a witness is what is needed to capture the perp(s) in action.

Maybe he uses ramps in most of them and some where the side road offers a vantage point he doesnt necessarily need a ramp so maybe not every one is where a ramp is.

I did notice quite a few of the shootings on the map were generally near exit + On Ramps.
I also think some of the victims may have taken awhile to realize they were hit and by the time they stopped they were quite a ways passed a ramp.

I do think ramps are used in lots of them but most likely not every single one. I did see a couple incident side roads where it was so open that a side road could also offer a vantage point.

The shooter is probably not too picky so long as he has a shot at a side window. He does seem to favor side windows over windshields. I suspect he likes side windows because windshields are tougher to penetrate. Which tells me that we are right about his ammunition must be special to not leave evidence and so it is not the type of ammo that penetrates as good as solid lead bullets.

I tend to think the shooter loves sniper movies and is obsessed with sniping. Which tells me he is using special ammo, a special long range scope, and a special weapon in most of the ones that were obviously our shooter.

And I do think there are multiple shooters which explains how not every case falls nicely into a certain pattern.

The shooter's identity should be known, provided that the vehicle or license plate were not stolen. Hopefully the shooter will be apprehended alive and will provide some long awaited answers if connected to the NOCO Hwy shooting incidents..

re: "The suspect is described as a white male in his late 40’s or early 50’s, with brown hair, thin build, wearing glasses and a black and white scarf around his neck."

'Wondering what's up with the white neck scarf'?

<snipped from article> Commerce City officer shot in chest during routine traffic stop
Police searching for maroon Nissan Pathfinder

Police said he was driving a maroon Nissan Pathfinder. It's described as a late-90s model with Colorado plates, possibly 679UNZ or 697UNZ.

Right, couldn't have been Chanel,

so I searched for images of maroon 99, then 98 Pathfinders, and some rabbit hats came up, but I chose this link to avoid them.

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/...nissan_pathfinder_4dr-suv_se_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

that "swath of sanity" you refer to is what is formerly the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, now a wildlife refuge, that is blocked off from public access except the southerly sections for wildlife viewing...the officer was shot yesterday at Peoria just off the northern boundary on 96th...the property surrounding the crime scene is still owned by Shell Oil ... curiously there is a Redbox located on the map about a mile south in the notorious Basin F - the culprit identified as being responsible for a series of earthquakes in the 60s from its deep injection well for chemical waste disposal and is definitely not accessible to Redbox users... anyway, this makes a getaway a bit problematic...I would think the shooter would have to travel east on 96th but either way, would soon find himself in another jurisdiction that would also assist in his getaway...

I had to travel a route on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week that started in eastern Boulder County, south to Aurora on E-470, then north on E-470 to I-25 to Loveland...I drove past the incident north of Hwy 7 just after it happened but didn't realize it until after I got home...however, I did see three Larimer County Sheriff's vehicles on I-25 once I was in Larimer County...obviously, they were out and about looking for something last Wednesday...

'Blue Alert' for maroon Nissan Pathfinder linked to shooting of Commerce City police officer
Officer was saved by ballistic vest

TheDenverChannel.com Team
4:59 am, Nov 9, '15

Screenshot 2015-11-09 at 4.05.18 PM.png

Shots fired in road-rage incident
KUSA
11:27 am mst, Nov 9 '15

"a white Chevy Impala, ...fired a shot that hit the first vehicle... suspect is described as a Hispanic man with black hair in his twenties.

A partial license plate on the Chevy Impala is "OLQ."

around 23rd Ave & Holly St

Maybe he uses ramps in most of them and some where the side road offers a vantage point he doesnt necessarily need a ramp so maybe not every one is where a ramp is.

I did notice quite a few of the shootings on the map were generally near exit + On Ramps.
I also think some of the victims may have taken awhile to realize they were hit and by the time they stopped they were quite a ways passed a ramp.

I do think ramps are used in lots of them but most likely not every single one. I did see a couple incident side roads where it was so open that a side road could also offer a vantage point.

The shooter is probably not too picky so long as he has a shot at a side window. He does seem to favor side windows over windshields. I suspect he likes side windows because windshields are tougher to penetrate. Which tells me that we are right about his ammunition must be special to not leave evidence and so it is not the type of ammo that penetrates as good as solid lead bullets.

I tend to think the shooter loves sniper movies and is obsessed with sniping. Which tells me he is using special ammo, a special long range scope, and a special weapon in most of the ones that were obviously our shooter.

And I do think there are multiple shooters which explains how not every case falls nicely into a certain pattern.

Agreed. There are a couple of incidents which have what look like off road recreational tracks that lead back to a motorcycle or ATV outlet.

that "swath of sanity" you refer to is what is formerly the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, now a wildlife refuge, that is blocked off from public access except the southerly sections for wildlife viewing...the officer was shot yesterday at Peoria just off the northern boundary on 96th...the property surrounding the crime scene is still owned by Shell Oil ... curiously there is a Redbox located on the map about a mile south in the notorious Basin F - the culprit identified as being responsible for a series of earthquakes in the 60s from its deep injection well for chemical waste disposal and is definitely not accessible to Redbox users... anyway, this makes a getaway a bit problematic...I would think the shooter would have to travel east on 96th but either way, would soon find himself in another jurisdiction that would also assist in his getaway...

I had to travel a route on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week that started in eastern Boulder County, south to Aurora on E-470, then north on E-470 to I-25 to Loveland...I drove past the incident north of Hwy 7 just after it happened but didn't realize it until after I got home...however, I did see three Larimer County Sheriff's vehicles on I-25 once I was in Larimer County...obviously, they were out and about looking for something last Wednesday...

Thank you, searchinGirl. It would be nice to have your post or a version acceptable to you in the info box of the map, if that could work. A Redbox CD rental thing? Why there?

Rsbm

KUSA

"a white Chevy Impala, ...fired a shot that hit the first vehicle... suspect is described as a Hispanic man with black hair in his twenties.

Sigh, does this ever end? These "road rage" incidents are out of control.
Thanks for posting FHG.

'Blue Alert' for maroon Nissan Pathfinder linked to shooting of Commerce City police officer
Officer was saved by ballistic vest

TheDenverChannel.com Team
4:59 am, Nov 9, '15

View attachment 84062

KUSA

Agreed. There are a couple of incidents which have what look like off road recreational tracks that lead back to a motorcycle or ATV outlet.

Thank you, searchinGirl. It would be nice to have your post or a version acceptable to you in the info box of the map, if that could work. A Redbox CD rental thing? Why there?

the Redbox location has to be a Google Maps mistake...probably a long/lat typo...because nobody is allowed there...supposedly it's cleaned up but it used to be known as the most polluted place on earth...one of the first high priorities for the CERCLA Superfund...

Sigh, does this ever end? These "road rage" incidents are out of control.
Thanks for posting FHG.

It makes you wonder if one of the road rage incidents involved one of our random shooters of car windows.

If a random shooter is on patrol and he gets cut off by another driver then he would be in that mindset to take a pot shot at another driver. Like how dare you cut me off and slow me down when I am in the middle of trying to snipe other vehicles. LOL

I think LE needs to take a careful look at anybody they arrest in any road rage incident.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...d-to-shooting-of-commerce-city-police-officer

this link is to a story identifying the officer shot on Sunday morning...Kevin Lord - an 8 year veteran of the Commerce City Police with 20 years of experience as a law enforcement officer...it also says that he was shot as he approached the vehicle without any words exchanged...and the license plate is not registered to the vehicle described...obviously the shooter was running from the law and hiding out in the proverbial "no mans land"... with a large caliber weapon...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...d-to-shooting-of-commerce-city-police-officer

this link is to a story identifying the officer shot on Sunday morning...Kevin Lord - an 8 year veteran of the Commerce City Police with 20 years of experience as a law enforcement officer...it also says that he was shot as he approached the vehicle without any words exchanged...and the license plate is not registered to the vehicle described...obviously the shooter was running from the law and hiding out in the proverbial "no mans land"... with a large caliber weapon...

Wow. That's crazy that the perp just shot at him as he approached.

The perp was obviously up to no good and was hiding something. Either he had warrants out for his arrest or he had illegal stuff in his vehicle.

Having the gun alone was probably illegal and of course shooting at the officer became a crime.

Hope they catch this guy.

Wow. That's crazy that the perp just shot at him as he approached.

The perp was obviously up to no good and was hiding something. Either he had warrants out for his arrest or he had illegal stuff in his vehicle.

Having the gun alone was probably illegal and of course shooting at the officer became a crime.

Hope they catch this guy.

Thin middle aged designer scarf perp seems experienced and possibly familiar with the area. Why would one guy with false plates be around there otherwise, agreed.

You can tilt view from where I think the car was parked on the dirt road, from 96th St. facing 104th St. I'm not able to upload the image, but if you look around, there's a shopping mall right down the road to the right, then a big auto repair place nearby too, what looks like gated communities. I guess a good place to stay in the weeds if you're meeting somebody. There are car tracks around there, some storage tank looking structure to the right of where he seemed parked.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...s0x876c70362f3a2837:0xc4ce0e248d153c3!6m1!1e1

PLEASE SHARE: Police say this is a sketch of the person who shot a Commerce City officer and drove away this weekend. Investigators hope if enough people see this, someone will know him.
<enlarged sketch photo> http://media.thedenverchannel.com/p...ect_1447144763018_26533643_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Commerce City Police release sketch of suspect who shot Officer Kevin Lord in traffic stop
1:42 AM, Nov 10, 2015

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...t-who-shot-officer-kevin-lord-in-traffic-stop

Anyone that recognizes this person should call the Commerce City Police Department at 303-289-3626.

The suspect was driving a late-90s model maroon Nissan Pathfinder, with possible Colorado license plate of 679UNZ or 697UNZ. The vehicle may have minor right rear bumper damage and may have damage from the shots the officer fired at the vehicle.

<snipped - read more>

PLEASE SHARE: Police say this is a sketch of the person who shot a Commerce City officer and drove away this weekend. Investigators hope if enough people see this, someone will know him.
<enlarged sketch photo> http://media.thedenverchannel.com/p...ect_1447144763018_26533643_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Commerce City Police release sketch of suspect who shot Officer Kevin Lord in traffic stop
1:42 AM, Nov 10, 2015

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...t-who-shot-officer-kevin-lord-in-traffic-stop

Anyone that recognizes this person should call the Commerce City Police Department at 303-289-3626.

The suspect was driving a late-90s model maroon Nissan Pathfinder, with possible Colorado license plate of 679UNZ or 697UNZ. The vehicle may have minor right rear bumper damage and may have damage from the shots the officer fired at the vehicle.

<snipped - read more>

Hopefully this doesn't blow the margins, testing:
attachment.php

Attachments

• commerce_shooting_suspect_1447144763018_26533643_ver1.0_900_675.jpg
    commerce_shooting_suspect_1447144763018_26533643_ver1.0_900_675.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 105
Out of curiosity, what kind of rifle is this?

Three sought in armed robbery of Fort Collins 7-Eleven store
www.kdvr.com

attachment.php

Guy in blue also has a hand gun?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-10-09-37-19~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-10-09-37-19~2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 61
  • robbery1.jpg
    robbery1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 53