GUILTY CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge *Arrest* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Driver’s window shot out on U.S. 36 between Broomfield and LouisvilleSheriff’s officials say incident may be case of road rage
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/11/drivers-window-shot-out-us-36-broomfield-louisville/

"Boulder County sheriff’s officials are looking for a suspect believed to have shot the window out of a truck on U.S. 36 this morning in a possible road-rage incident between Broomfield and Louisville.

Sheriff’s Cmdr. Mike Wagner said a 44-year-old Westminster man was driving westbound in a 2000s white Chevy truck on U.S. 36 around 5:50 a.m. today when another car pulled up beside him and his driver’s side window suddenly broke somewhere between McCaslin Boulevard and FlatIrons Crossing."

"The driver -- who suffered only minor injuries and was able to drive himself to a hospital -- initially thought someone had thrown something at his vehicle, but police found a bullet hole inside the truck, Wagner said.

Wagner said it's possible the incident was road-rage related.

The suspect's vehicle was described as an older white Honda or Toyota sedan. Wagner said investigators are still working on a description of the driver."

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_30559600/drivers-window-shot-out-u-s-36-between

Keeping a veery close eye on this one.

Initial rough post. Sorry, at an engagement...had a couple beers but want to mark my spot and initial rough thoughts.

Eta: so, I'm reiterating the above location description as I try to wrap my head around this logistics wise as I've been in that exact same area probably thousands of times, and will continue to be. Pulling up a visual in a moment, but off the top of my head, again not knowing the exact point, Costco is nearby along with many other businesses, bdubs (wait is this where im thinking of, or more near the Tape deck bridge, thinking out loud....)...huge overpass, many lanes, heavily populated with traffic...has been under major construction, best way to describe would be with a recent satellite image, not sure how updated the google maps image will be, are the construction updates with the new lanes, etc. apparent, I consider this area Superior technically, though not mentioned in the articles, (maybe getting of myself, look at the map first magz). A lot I can say about this area and can give you a suuuuper detailed personal 360 description but want to get a map visual up first. It seems possibly CRish, the location. But we need an exact location. I dont want to go off on speculative tangents til i know they exact point, or as close as possible. Calling Trigger for downstairs work. If we can get one, this could be huge for me as I know this place inside and out, again, assuming a possible connection which at this time I would deeeeefinitely would not rule out, unless there's something we don't know. Yeah it could be road rage...or might not be. Whatever the case, I used to live riiiight theeeere and know it very well which is great for us here.

(Note to self , tell them the significance of this area as far as Boulder turn around.)

"....between Broomfield and Louisville.

Sheriff’s Cmdr. Mike Wagner said a 44-year-old Westminster man was driving westbound in a 2000s white Chevy truck on U.S. 36 around 5:50 a.m. today when another car pulled up beside him and his driver’s side window suddenly broke somewhere between McCaslin Boulevard and FlatIrons Crossing."

This needs to be immediately referred to the Task Force to also take a look at, if not already done so, you would thiiiiiink of course they're looking at it, but right now it says BCSD is handling it. I almost want to call the detective and ask him to please be in touch with the Task Force to compare notes just in case, but you would think they would be doing this already, and dont need me to tell them that, right?

Qmfr:

"The driver -- who suffered only minor injuries and was able to drive himself to a hospital -- initially thought someone had thrown something at his vehicle, but police found a bullet hole inside the truck, Wagner said.

Wagner said it's possible the incident was road-rage related.

The suspect's vehicle was described as an older white Honda or Toyota sedan. Wagner said investigators are still working on a description of the driver."

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_30559600/drivers-window-shot-out-u-s-36-between

Does this vehicle description match any others from our earlier threads?

(Note to self. Want to zoom in on every freaking dust mite for trajectory purposes. Could be close range shot from the vehicle too, of course.)

(Talking to myself, so he was westbound on 36, drivers side window shot out somewhere between Macaslin and Flatirons Crossing...)

This also reminds me of the Westminster location.

Forager where are you!?!

"The victim said a car pulled up next to him and his window shattered. He initially thought someone through something through his window. It wasn’t until investigators arrived and found the bullet lodged inside his vehicle that they confirmed it was a shooting."

Car Window Shot Out Could Be Road*Rage
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/11/11/car-window-shot-out-could-be-road-rage/

Dudes this could be our guy!!!!!! Yeah it could be coincidental road rage, but they can't blame this on road debris now!!! I almost want to hand deliver a copy of every thread, spreadsheet and map we have all worked so hard on to the lead detective!!! Maybe I will!!!

ETA: If there's one thing I've learned here though on WS, it's craaazy coincidences!

ETA: if this is one of our guys, let me rephrase, we don't know if the shattering are related. This could be a huge break though.

I want to know what ballistics says!!!! Caliber, distance, etc etc.

For it to get lodged, what does that tell us distance caliberwise?

Way back I had noted how there has been an absence of activity in Boulder County.

So, again this morning's incident could be coincidentally unrelated, and road rage, and believe me if it's the intersection I'm thinking of its bad enough to give anyone road rage, but if not, the fact that this is BOCO is sigificant, imo. They might not even know this is officially BOCO...wait, this is why some crimes, gang thefts etc have been committed here, straight from a BOCO deputy when I was a victim of a crime here. They have to dispatch BOCO which is further away, gives them time. Not saying they knew this, or not, but interesting. With BOCO now in the game...

Whoever shot at this guy this morning is a great potential suspect, imo. Again, if not road rage. But my bones (or beers) are telling me this is our guy.....I could be wrong. There are so many coincidences and road rage is likely. Especially in BOCO after you know what on Tuesday. But, Remember CR and JJ are linked!!!! And this is giving me a very CR vibe! Jmo.

Truck window shot out on Boulder turnpike
http://www.9news.com/traffic/truck-window-shot-out-on-boulder-turnpike/351110291

"He says the car pulled up next to him and his driver’s side window shattered. Deputies later found a bullet hole.

Police say they don’t know what motivated the shooting. The suspect vehicle is described as an older white Toyota or Honda sedan.
"

Here is how it maps, as a yellow teardrop in the lower left (southwest) of what I think of as our case area. The lethal shootings, however, are concentrated pretty far away in north of the map.

I watched that video thinking how cool it would be if this shooter were caught and could be tied to last year's NoCO shootings. There doesn't seem to be anything about Friday's shooting that is terribly different than the Romero, Jacoby, motorcyclist, or Connole shootings.

Screenshot 2016-11-12 at 12.55.57 AM.png

The young lady was shot while turning from eastbound Harmony road to southbound I25. Early reports gave me the impression that she was on the entrance ramp nearing the point where it merges into I25. If she was shot there the shooter would have to be either in a moving vehicle on I25 or across the road in the Costco parking lot. An accurate shot from a car moving at highway speeds is just about impossible. Doing so while driving is even harder. A rifle shot from the parking lot or frontage road on the other side of I25 is far more plausible.

Later reports indicated she was shot while entering the ramp. In that case the shooter would have to be in a moving vehicle on Harmony or stopped in the westbound turn lane for the I25 ramp. Shooting from the drivers position while stopped in the turn lane is the most likely.

The authorities are certain that the same person was responsible for her shooting and the cyclist killed a few miles away. The reason has not been disclosed but is almost certainly a ballistic match. Her wound indicates a small bore weapon was used, most likely a .22.

Bringing this post fwd to compare logistically against this morning's shooting. Which, thank goodness, had a bullet lodged in it. Freaking awesome.

How long will it take for ballistics to run this bullet against potential matches, etc.

I'm so optimistic about this as far as potential leads, and will be disappointed if this turns out to be proooooven that this is road rage. But I have not been so hopeful until now, I mean there's a freaking bullet lodged, this is awesome, could be a big break imo. Hypothetically, IF it matches CR and JJ, would they tell us? Yes, I think so, bc they will need the public's help with possible vehicle of interest and sketch, if there is one. Jmo.

I need to know the exact spot it shattered. Closer to Macaslin, or closer to Foothills Crossing.

"BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– Authorities in Boulder County are investigating whether road rage is to blame after a car window was shot out. Deputies continue to search for the suspect driver."

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/11/11/car-window-shot-out-could-be-road-rage/

It seems to me that LE would know whether road rage is likely or not by asking the driver of the victim whether he was doing anything that may have upset the other guy.

In any mild road rage experiences I have been in the common thing is I always knew what the other guy was pizzed about. Whether they perceived me to cut them off or whether I was going too slow or something like that.

So I think that driver victim really should know whether road rage is likely or not.

A victim doesnt always know what they did to pizz someone off but usually they do IMO.

So it really should not be such a mystery to LE if road rage or not.
LE probably would not tell us those details so we are left to wonder if it was something like that or the victim has no clue why the guy pulled alongside and took a pot shot at him.

The one thing that makes me think it could be a random shooter is if he pulled up alongside him then he could have easily shot him so the fact that the guy was not hit by the bullet makes me think that maybe it was someone deciding to randomly terrorize this guy.

BTW Hello all my friends on this thread. We had quite a ride with it and I am so glad it died down. I hope the shooter hasnt decided to start another wave.

Mystery Highway Attacks Points to Possible Serial Shooter:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mystery-co...g-25-points-serial-attacker/story?id=30553323

Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/serial-shooter-colorado-drivers-edge-30551158

4 attacks so far within 3 days, someone is shooting out peoples' car windows along Hwy 1-25, one woman was shot in the neck, the incidents occurred in Larimer and Weld Counties.

Links to other articles:

Colorado Driver Shot in Neck, Similar Incidents Investigated:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-shot-neck-driving-busy-colorado-highway-30533600

Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge:
https://gma.yahoo.com/video/possible-serial-shooter-colorado-drivers-120321595.html

Woman shot in neck while driving on I-25 in Larimer County:
http://kdvr.com/2015/04/23/woman-shot-in-neck-while-driving-on-i-25-in-larimer-county/

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/04/23/woman-shot-near-windsor/26232009/

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/04/24/shooting-investigation/26301547/

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/04/23/drivers-targeted-in-3-separate-shootings/26262315/

Forager's Map

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3

:bump:

For any newbies!

It seems to me that LE would know whether road rage is likely or not by asking the driver of the victim whether he was doing anything that may have upset the other guy.

In any mild road rage experiences I have been in the common thing is I always knew what the other guy was pizzed about. Whether they perceived me to cut them off or whether I was going too slow or something like that.

So I think that driver victim really should know whether road rage is likely or not.

A victim doesnt always know what they did to pizz someone off but usually they do IMO.

So it really should not be such a mystery to LE if road rage or not.
LE probably would not tell us those details so we are left to wonder if it was something like that or the victim has no clue why the guy pulled alongside and took a pot shot at him.

The one thing that makes me think it could be a random shooter is if he pulled up alongside him then he could have easily shot him so the fact that the guy was not hit by the bullet makes me think that maybe it was someone deciding to randomly terrorize this guy.

BTW Hello all my friends on this thread. We had quite a ride with it and I am so glad it died down. I hope the shooter hasnt decided to start another wave.

Thanks Hatfield. Good to see ya. You guys know how much this case means to me being local, sorry if I sound crazy, probably too late for that haha. Thanks to you guys for being here!! And Forager, FHG, all you guys, Tin Man...

The driver could know or might not know indeed know if they ticked someone off. (I'm going to reread your post tomorrow beer free too btw and respond with fresh eyes and brain.) Maybe he cut the guy off, then that that same car pulled up....I don't know...but then he might, or might not be definitive on the vehicle description if he did know, but not necessarily if he didnt even know he pd the guy off...hard to explain in words, my arthritis ow can barely type boo.

This speaks to me:

"Police say they don’t know what motivated the shooting. The suspect vehicle is described as an older white Toyota or Honda sedan."

http://www.9news.com/traffic/truck-window-shot-out-on-boulder-turnpike/351110291

I'm so optimistic about this as far as potential leads, and will be disappointed if this turns out to be proooooven that this is road rage. But I have not been so hopeful until now, I mean there's a freaking bullet lodged, this is awesome, could be a big break imo. Hypothetically, IF it matches CR and JJ, would they tell us? Yes, I think so, bc they will need the public's help with possible vehicle of interest and sketch, if there is one. Jmo.

Matching a bullet is much much harder than matching a shell casing.

The reason is with a shell casing all they have to do is put it in a forensic microscope and compare the firing pin marks on the casing. They can usually tell right away.

With a bullet however first off the bullet is usually deformed or just a part of the bullet. It is usually crushed by the impact of whatever it hit. Lead bullets are very soft and deform easily upon impact.

So LE has to match in much harder ways. One way is taking scrapings and disolving in a solution liquid and then getting the chemical compound makeup of the bullet. Can take weeks or more to do that.

LE seldom has an intact bullet that has not been deformed . Especially from both shooting sites they are trying to compare. So they usualy have to resort to the long chemical compound testing.

The other way they can do it is if there is enough of the bullet left to see the markings the barrel made on the bullet as it traveled through the barrel. They can then use microscope to compare the markings.

At the gun range when I look at the dirt mound for the bullets I usually see totally deformed pieces of lead. And the bullet sometimes doesnt stay in one piece. Pieces break off sometimes.

Side note:
Kinda gruesome but that is why bullets are made of mostly lead is because you want the bullet to deform and expand upon impact into a larger diameter so that when it goes through a person or animal it causes maximum damage. The whole "clean kill" thing. Remember bullets are typically designed and meant to kill something. Or at least originally were designed for that. Lead is perfect because it is also very heavy and very soft. Target practice bullets sometimes have different metals so it varies a lot on how much they expand.
Copper jacketed, hollow points, solid lead round nose, etc. Many types of bullets nowadays.

How often does someone pull out a gun in US and shoot at them due to roadrage? Interested in the stats.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kudo-magician179
Back