CO - Richard & Mayumi Heene charged in Balloon Boy hoax, Fort Collins, 2009 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I guess all the parents in my development growing up, should have all been investigated too? Kids get into trouble, and they often know how to get into things that parents supposedly "Secured." The balloon was obviously going to be used for something today, since they spent all morning working on it. I'm sure they were excited, and they thought it would be funny to make up a story...the question is did they plan it from the beginning, or did the lie come out once they realized Dad's balloon was floating away?

Why wouldn't the older boys tell their parents where Falcon was after seeing them frantic as it's been reported?

I saw the first wifeswap episode this family was on. Very strange dad who basically let the kids do whatever they wanted to and sort of laughed at safety rules. They were paired up with a family that was ridiculously overboard on safety such that the kids could not ride down a tiny rise in the street, or explore the wooded area right next to their home. They were very fearful kids.
The families showed both extremes. I don't agree that kids should be so protected that they will never know what it feels like to fall, or scrape a knee or play outside of the sight of their parents for more than a minute and to live in fear of getting hurt. However, Falcon's dad seemed to be raising kids to have no rules at all, no respect for any type of authority and a belief in their own immortality. He seemed weird, immature and disrespectful of any kind of societal norms. I don't think that's the best combination for parenthood. (Mom seemed to just passively follow dad's lead for the most part. Kind of strange lady herself). Thus, I think this is a family in which an accident is waiting to happen.
Although I don't think these kids should be taken away, I do think some mandatory counseling for the parents and parenting classes may be called for. I think the family dynamic explains why the older two would not let anyone know that the whole thing was a joke, if they were in on it. They have not been raised to know consequences or to realize that other people have feelings and we should respect those feelings.

It is possible that the kids didn't realize the ramifications of telling their parents that the brother had floated away -- I mean that there would be a massive search, 911, and all of that.

How old are the older boys?

Not that this is any kind of excuse ... just thinking this might be a prank that snowballed out of control.

As the mother of 3 boys,I can attest to the fact that they can do anything and think up anything,not saying its right,but I don't think the parents are responsable. How they handle the aftermath of this will be interesting. I'm just happy he is safe. My guess is,it will be awhile before they pull anymore sh**.

I don't think it's just that they weren't watching their kids, its that everyone thought this child was floating away in a balloon and probably dead. If you have a pool, you have to fence it in. If you have a gun, you have to keep it locked up. These parents didn't take precautions to keep something that could have easily killed their children properly locked up. Should have had a locked fence around it at least, I think. MOO

These parents and kids are attention seekers. The mother was on a reality show, they chase storms and tornados with the kids and the kids made a music video. If it was a hoax the parents should be responsible and have to pay back LE and everybody else for their time.

I'm exhausted. I need a nap and a stiff drink.

HAHA I thought the same thing. I sat here all day watching Shep describe a jiffy-pop container fly across Colorado. When did that become a productive use of my day? Sigh! :)

I may have to retract that I don't think they supervised their kids very well.

Just remembering how diligent my own mom was and that we were still able to do things we'd been told not to (climb on the roof) and dangerous things (build underground tunnel with multiple entrances and cubbies in neighbor's field -- until his dad spotted us going underground).

I can picture this trio of brothers sitting together as old men-- "Remember the mylar airship? Wanna do it again?" "NO!!!" lol

Regardless of the aftermath this event will cause, I am overjoyed he is alive and safe! This is what we hope for!Thank God!

I'll toast to that!!!!!!!!!!! It is indeed a joy for a child to be found unharmed for a change.

where were parents when boys playing on the ROOF?
where were parents when air balloon went in air?
where were parents while little boy was hiding for hours
in a box in the attic???
I blame the parents for having a dangerous toy that boys would play with!
and no supervision!!

These parents and kids are attention seekers. The mother was on a reality show, they chase storms and tornadoes with the kids and the kids made a music video. If it was a hoax the parents should be responsible and have to pay back LE and everybody else for their time.

I agree. I understand a lot of this "boys will be boys" talk, but this was a major thing. There are millions of little boys in the world, and not nearly that many ridiculously huge schemes like this. The parents provided the staging, through the balloon being unlocked, and also taught the kids to be publicity hounds. This not as simple as "boys will be boys," IMO.

And, on a side note, I also recall from my own youth that girls are not immune to stunts, themselves, and not all boys play into the same gender stereotypes.

HAHA I thought the same thing. I sat here all day watching Shep describe a jiffy-pop container fly across Colorado. When did that become a productive use of my day? Sigh! :)

LOL, a jiffy pop container! That is so true!

The more I think about this, those kids watched their parents crying, afraid etc, the police all over the place, national news etc etc etc and they were quiet all that time. I don't know what the heck I would do. Thinking I would ship them to momtectives house to take care of those 20 acres ( for starters)

I know, that's what gets me! I have 7 boys at home ages 4-16 and of course my precious baby girl. Believe me when I tell you they have pulled some doozies...my older 3 boys did as well. But if they would have just stood there and watched me lose my mind ( for hours) thinking my child was in that craft....oh h3ll no! :nono:lol

Wow, great news! But boy oh boy those kids would be in trouble if I was their mom!

I can picture this trio of brothers sitting together as old men-- "Remember the mylar airship? Wanna do it again?" "NO!!!" lol

LOL. My oldest brother just called. He "reminded" me of when I jumped off our garage roof with a pillowcase over my head. I thought I had a parachute. HE got in trouble for not stopping me. Being the only girl and the baby had it's pluses.

ETA: Our roofs are flat here in NM. Thought I'd better say that.

But if they would have just stood there and watched me lose my mind ( for hours) thinking my child was in that craft....oh h3ll no! :nono:lol

I think you hit the nail on the head. I can understand the prank, but when that first call was made to 911, it was time to come clean. Perhaps because they were so used to being in front of cameras and on TV and getting so much attention from the public that they didn't think as much of it as other children may have.

LOL. My oldest brother just called. He "reminded" me of when I jumped off our garage roof with a pillowcase over my head. I thought I had a parachute. HE got in trouble for not stopping me. Being the only girl and the baby had it's pluses.

Also its disadvantages - my older brother used to make me jump off the barn roof into the snow drifts below before he did it, to make sure the hay raker wasn't hidden under there. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle