CO - Richard & Mayumi Heene charged in Balloon Boy hoax, Fort Collins, 2009 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the video of how mad the father was once the balloon was actually released, like kicking over the stand, I wonder if this idiot thought this may be a way to get the balloon back?

Orignially posted by southcitymom

I continue to be happy that this boy is okay. My only information on this story has come from WS and I have not watched any of the videos or any television about the incident. I watched Wife Swap a couple of times last year and enjoyed it and thought it was very interesting.

I do want to say this. If these people are "fame *advertiser censored*," we made them that way, so we deserve what we get. All of us (the participants and the creators and the watchers) have happily created a society where other people's lives are our entertainment.

It always amuses me a little when the watchers get mad at those being watched. It's not difficult to turn off a television or a computer (though I'll agree it's MUCH more fun to sling around self-righteous indignation)!

Whether they are fame-*advertiser censored* or not isn't my concern. Fame-whoring is not a crime. The fact that it appears that hey falsely reported a missing child, wasted rescue resources, had people risking their own safety to help in this "emergengy," and disrupted airspace such that flights were delayed is what has me stunned and outraged. The only reason I am following this story at all is b/c I want to see them held accountable. I dont find any part of it "amusing."

MOO

I'm just catching up, but I think that they may have told the kid, "Hey, when you get asked xyz, just pretend you have to barf." I wonder if anyone saw him throwup. And the parents just continue the interview and no one goes to check on the kid until prompted? That tells me Mom and Dad weren't worried b/c he wasn't really sick; He just needed to make an exit.

This is disgusting.

MOO.

I thought that too, when I heard about it, Kant. I figured there must have been a signal arranged... But then he actually did vomit on the set while his dad was talking. Yikes. lol

What was weird though, was that they had a container already there for him, so they knew he was seriously nauseated, yet they still made him sit there for the interview? Yeesh.

I'm sorry, southcitymom, but I do not think it's becoming part of the circus, nor encouraging of fame *advertiser censored*, to simply watch breaking news - especially when it could easily have been a real tragedy and no circus at all.

Even doing followups like this has value, IMO. Think Octomom. It was also people like us who aroused authorities to investigate. Exposing celebrity wanna-be's as hoaxers so that their plan backfires as an example to other wanna-be's is a good thing. IMO :)

:twocents:

Octomom was a circus too and the attention she garnered netted her a reality TV show, so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent all of the chatter was! :)

I hear you, Muffett, and we will agree to disagree. I am really not trying to throw stones! My position is of one who hasn't watched the news, breaking or otherwise, since 9-11 (and I am only better for that).

I haven't followed this as closely as many and am just tossing in my perspective. I will let y'all go back to the reconstruction and deconstruction, which I have no problem with. I just think it's good to look at where we all fit into it!

Octomom was a circus too and the attention she garnered netted her a reality TV show, so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent all of the chatter was! :)

I hear you, Muffett, and we will agree to disagree. I am really not trying to throw stones! My position is of one who hasn't watched the news, breaking or otherwise, since 9-11 (and I am only better for that).

I haven't followed this as closely as many and am just tossing in my perspective. I will let y'all go back to the reconstruction and deconstruction, which I have no problem with. I just think it's good to look at where we all fit into it!

Octumom didn't pretend to give birth to eight babies.

Nooo!!! LOL Did Octomom get a show on a real network? I quit paying attention after it looked like she was reduced to a web-thing only. :doh:

I hear you about following news too closely. I too have to remove myself - especially from politically heated news. Washington wouldn't listen to my wisdom, anyway, sigh. :angel:

So they call FAA, then channel 9 news...THEN 911?

Maz :waitasec:

:cow:

ETA: This is per the sheriff Jim Alderden of Larimer County Sheriffs Office.

There were no ladders etc up tho the attic. They had the child climb up on the "debris" in the area to demonstrate how he got up there by himself and before he completed the task his father called him down.

Also, how could the child think he was "in trouble" for untying the balloon when, from the video, he wasn't the one who untied it. Furthermore as someone already said, how could he be the one untying it if he were in it.

What a bunch of bull; and from these pressers, LE is seeming to buy this load. LE said that "the family is fatigued" so they wont pursue interviews right now. Oh great; give them more time to coach the kid.

BLARG.

The LCSO is doing a presser right now. He says they do believe the parents thought the boy was in the balloon. He said as hyper-active as Falcon is, he can't see him sitting in the attic for 5 hrs unless he really was scared or asleep. Curiously, tho, he says the dad's first call was to the FAA, second to 9 News (one of our local stations) and the third to 911. Hmmmmm . . . .

Hey Mazama! Looks like you beat me to the post! Crazy, isn't it?

I actually don't think this was a hoax, but I agree with you that IF it was, it's definitely the best!

Call me crazy but I don't think it was a hoax and here is why;

The video taping was done by the two older brother's in on the hoax. Easily explained.

When I think about what if this had been my boy I can easily hear him say, "I did it for the show.

My boy and his friends constantly filmed themselves doing things. If he thought he was in trouble because he'd done something while filming I can hear him answer the same way as Falcon.

And remember, these kids already had a ton of TV show appearences under their belt.

Kids being kids can't you see them putting a plot together for the "show?" The show being whatever it was in their minds.

I know I am really in the minority but I don't see any red flags on this one mainly because I can picture my son and his friends trying a stunt like this.

Tricia

I think the sheriff might re-evaluate things once he see's the family video. He hasn't seen it yet per his conference.

No, I think this was staged and I wouldn't be surprised if they did tell that boy to hide up there. The boy said he fell asleep. I'm wondering if he was hungry when he came down from the attic? Or had he been provided food and drinks while he was in hiding?

MOO

Maz

So, nothing new on presser I take it?

Sheriff does not believe it was a hoax and listed some bullet points.
1st call was to the FAA
2nd call was to Channel 9 (KUSA) wanted helicopter to follow balloon (they did. They were the ones showing the live video yesterday)
3rd call was to 911

Reporter said "you must be one of the few people on Earth that doesn't think this a hoax". Sheriff has not seen the video of the balloon being accidently released!!!

I've looked for the interview Dr Joy Browne did on CNN before the boy was found and could not find it. She is a balloonist and explained why the boy could not be in the balloon. In the end she said the boy would probably be found hiding because that's what children do when they are in big trouble. In the tone of her voice I felt she thought it might be a hoax but she did not say it. If anyone knows where the video might be please post it. The woman is really good on the radio. I've listened to her off and on for about 15 years.

I was surprised that NBC showed the child getting sick!
OK so the child really got sick then. Well, I can see that happening with that kind of pressure and knowing he just screwed up bigtime last night. He must be terrified.

Originally Posted by January.
What I'd like to know is what happened to the story of the parents inside preparing lunch and seeing the balloon float past the window?

Me too.

I also want to know:
If the balloon was not supposed to have been launched....then why, in the home video of the "launch" are they counting down "3... 2...." ?? You don't countdown if its going to just sit there....

If your kid just accidentally took off on a homemade blimp.... you call 911! That's the first thing people think of in an emergency. 911 would then notify FAA, etc. This guy calls FAA.... then a news station.... THEN 911?? That smells.

And Falcon, on the CNN interview, when asked why he didn't come out of hiding, says:
"you guys said...... that........we did this for the show"

I don't see how this could point to "the show" as in -- he did it to show off, he did it for the attention. No, to me, this was a planned deal... meant to get them on TV for some reason. It is sounding more and more as though the Dad has reality TV show agenda..... I have not listened to the 911 call but I am thinking Mom may have been in the dark on this scheme. She seems to follow her husbands lead on everything, even looks to him before answering questions.....

Call me crazy but I don't think it was a hoax and here is why;

The video taping was done by the two older brother's in on the hoax. Easily explained.

When I think about what if this had been my boy I can easily hear him say, "I did it for the show.

My boy and his friends constantly filmed themselves doing things. If he thought he was in trouble because he'd done something while filming I can hear him answer the same way as Falcon.

And remember, these kids already had a ton of TV show appearences under their belt.

Kids being kids can't you see them putting a plot together for the "show?" The show being whatever it was in their minds.

I know I am really in the minority but I don't see any red flags on this one mainly because I can picture my son and his friends trying a stunt like this.

Tricia
I could see all of that as totally plausible and I'd be with you if it weren't for the the way the parents come across. I just dont buy it from them. Their reaction to the kid's "for the show" comment was telling for me as well.

Also, they had prevously pitched an idea to TLC for a reality show and TLC passed on it.

The video of the balloon release was the most damning evidence against them IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141