GUILTY CO - Richard & Mayumi Heene charged in Balloon Boy Hoax, Fort Collins, 2009 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
By Nate Taylor and Trevor Hughes, USA TODAY
Updated 16h 41m ago
Despite her husband's claims to the contrary, "Balloon Boy" mom Mayumi Heene repeatedly confessed that the family staged the hoax to boost their prospects in reality TV.
Video recordings of the interviews conducted by the Larimer County Sheriff's Office with Mayumi Heene disprove the claims made by her husband Richard during his media blitz before he began serving his 30-day jail sentence.
The videos, obtained by the Coloradoan on Friday through the Larimer County District Attorney's Office, show Mayumi Heene telling investigator Bob Heffernan that she and her husband decided to report their 6-year-old son Falcon was aboard a UFO-shaped helium balloon.
<snip>
Richard Heene told The Associated Press before he went to jail that his wife misunderstood the meaning of the word "hoax" when she purportedly confessed.
"My wife's first language is Japanese, not English," Heene said. "My wife came home in tears wondering what she might have said. She opened this Japanese-to-English dictionary, and she walks up to me crying her head off, and she says to me, 'I thought hoax meant an exhibition.'"
During her interview with Heffernan, Mayumi Heene told him she has a bachelor's degree in English literature from a Japanese college. more at link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-01-23-balloon-boy-heene_N.htm

By Nate Taylor and Trevor Hughes, USA TODAY
Updated 16h 41m ago
Despite her husband's claims to the contrary, "Balloon Boy" mom Mayumi Heene repeatedly confessed that the family staged the hoax to boost their prospects in reality TV.
Video recordings of the interviews conducted by the Larimer County Sheriff's Office with Mayumi Heene disprove the claims made by her husband Richard during his media blitz before he began serving his 30-day jail sentence.
The videos, obtained by the Coloradoan on Friday through the Larimer County District Attorney's Office, show Mayumi Heene telling investigator Bob Heffernan that she and her husband decided to report their 6-year-old son Falcon was aboard a UFO-shaped helium balloon.
<snip>
Richard Heene told The Associated Press before he went to jail that his wife misunderstood the meaning of the word "hoax" when she purportedly confessed.
"My wife's first language is Japanese, not English," Heene said. "My wife came home in tears wondering what she might have said. She opened this Japanese-to-English dictionary, and she walks up to me crying her head off, and she says to me, 'I thought hoax meant an exhibition.'"
During her interview with Heffernan, Mayumi Heene told him she has a bachelor's degree in English literature from a Japanese college. more at link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-01-23-balloon-boy-heene_N.htm

Geez, I'm starting to question his story. He might really be lying!! :eek:

In this case, is there a difference between a "hoax" and an "exhibition"?

The "exhibition" consisted of a boy, a balloon and several phone calls about the boy being in the balloon. I fail to see the difference between that and a "hoax"? :waitasec:

Balloon hoax dad must pay restitution
By Alan Duke, CNN
April 21, 2010 1:49 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Richard Heene, the man who pulled a hoax by saying his 6-year-old son was drifting over Colorado in a balloon, must pay $36,000 in restitution, a judge has ordered.

As Heene completed his 90-day sentence with home detention this month, his wife, Mayumi Heene, began serving her 20-day sentence on weekends, according to a jail official. Her time is not spent in a jail cell, but on a Saturday and Sunday work detail, a probation official said.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo&feature=related[/ame]

:loser:

The show they were on.
I did see some commercials for it though,they seemed to yell a lot and act pretty weird.

When this story broke my hinky meter went into orbit right along with that balloon. I am glad he is having to pay the $. I think these people have some real issues and I feel sorry for the children.

jmho

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37151639/ns/us_news/

"The Larimer County Sheriff's office says Richard Heene asked to measure the balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched into infamy on Oct. 15."

:waitasec:

I saw that this morning. My first thought was how soon will it be before we see Richard Heene auctioning that darn balloon on E-bay.

(Drew Petersons Harley is on E-bay- at least according to what I heard on the news yesterday. Freaks! )

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37151639/ns/us_news/

"The Larimer County Sheriff's office says Richard Heene asked to measure the balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched into infamy on Oct. 15."

:waitasec:

:loser:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF3IpNU1Yu8[/ame]

Unfortunately Cubby hit the nail on the head and we'll see it on eBay. I hope it sells for $.01

He'll probably sell three of the "real" balloon too. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess putting the balloon on e-bay is one way they can pay back the damages.

I'm so naive! Yeah, that must be it. Hoo boy. I really really really hope he gets no takers.

I thought the judge put a time restriction on making money off of the incident... like a few years.

Jon Sarche, a spokesman for the State Court Administrator’s Office, said the Heenes’ probation has been transferred to Florida.

http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=29353

Terms of their probation include not selling their story or profiting from the saga until December 2013. They also must make regular monthly payments toward $36,000 in restitution ordered by the court.

The Heenes also were fined $8,000 by the Federal Aviation Administration for launching an aircraft that wandered into the path of planes at Denver International Airport, briefly forcing the closure of a runway.

Well, now we know. I felt scammed by our media more than by these poor fools.

Hmm, article says they left behind plates, tools, chairs, and appliances. I wonder if they left behind good items or if they were things that were broken. Weird. Were they renting? Someone will have to clean that left-behind stuff out.

Florida better watch out! :angel:

Why do all the crazies come to Florida?!? Go somewhere else...we already have enough!! :)

Why do all the crazies come to Florida?!? Go somewhere else...we already have enough!! :)
Well...didn't want to say it because I don't live there, but yeah, that's just what I was thinking. ;)

Nice of them to leave their trash for others to dispose of. Granted, we already knew they weren't exactly the highest caliber of people, so not surprising.

how about not profiting ever?

nice of Richard to subtley blame his wife though ... I really dislike him

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member