GUILTY CO - Semi Driver Arrested After Slamming Into Cars on I-70, Lakewood, multiple deaths, Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Signatures on change.org?
... The site has been around for a long time and they have probably been scrutinized to death for years for how their signature system works....
@"AliceInPain sbm Thx for your post. Yes, a relatively long time in our cyber world, since its 2007 launch.
Facing claims of false signatures in Australia in 2018, a spokesman said, "... our spam systems automatically detect patterns, such as multiple signatures coming in from the same IP address and any signatures that prove to be fake are removed between 28-48 hours."*

That may erase doubts about duplicate signatures, at least for some people. But not the hard core scoffers. my2ct.

Signatures on change.org?
... The site has been around for a long time and they have probably been scrutinized to death for years for how their signature system works....
@"AliceInPain sbm Thx for your post. Yes, a relatively long time in our cyber world, since its 2007 launch.
Facing claims of false signatures in Australia in 2018, a spokesman said, "... our spam systems automatically detect patterns, such as multiple signatures coming in from the same IP address and any signatures that prove to be fake are removed between 28-48 hours."*

That may erase doubts about duplicate signatures, at least for some people. But not the hard core doubters. my2ct.

Last edited:
@Footwarrior do you think it was a lack of training? Or just an arrogance, thinking he could drive as fast as he wanted in this area? My son got his CDL last year, and has spent his entire life driving roads in the Intermountain west. He has passed many trucks that went off the road, driving too fast around curves, not understanding grades. That has probably served him well now.

If he was trained the lesson didn’t stick. He clearly didn’t understand the necessity of slowing down before the grade started and using the engine to control speed instead of the brakes. The signs on the highway should have been a reminder if he had the English language skills to understand them.

A Colorado judge has scheduled a January hearing to consider resentencing Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, a trucker who was given 110 years in an interstate wreck that killed four people.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1475893909565984768?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Snipped by Me:

"First Judicial District Attorney Alexis King said her office will probably recommend a sentence of 20-30 years.

At a status hearing on Monday, Judge A. Bruce Jones sought to resolve procedural questions given the unprecedented nature of the case, in which the prosecution initiated the request for a lower sentence, rather than the defense."

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos: Judge schedules January 13 hearing to consider resentencing trucker who was given 110 years in fatal crash - CNN

On Twitter, Kim Kardashian took a "deep dive" :rolleyes:into the case, Tweeted 3 paragraphs (5 sentences) re crash & judge's sentencing, then concluded " @GovofCO is a really good person and I know he will do the right thing."* bbm

After her years-long law studies w goal of becoming licensed attorney in CA, if this is all Kim Kardashian provided to persuade Colorado governor to grant clemency, I'll offer a bit of advice:
KK: Don't quit your day job. my2ct

{ETA: my post does not speak to the merits of this case or sentencing, just about entertainment celebrities spouting opinions on our criminal justice system, and seemingly relying only on what they've read in Daily Mail headlines.:rolleyes:}
Dec 21, 2021
I know everyone has been posting about Rogel Aguilera-Mederos this week. I took a deep dive in it to figure out what the situation is.
"For those who don’t know about this case, Rogel Aguilera-Mederos is a 26 year old that was sentenced 110 years in prison for driving a semi-tractor-trailer and crashed into traffic killing four people.

"He was not drunk or under the influence, his brakes on the semi tractor-trailer failed.
"Another shocking and unfair part of this case is that the judge didn’t want to sentence him to such a lengthy sentence. However, because of the mandatory minimums in Colorado, his hands were tied. Mandatory minimums take away judicial discretion and need to end.
"
Colorado law really has to be changed and this is so unfair.
@GovofCO is a really good person and I know he will do the right thing."
^ https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1473375955183759365

Last edited:
5-Tweet Deep Dive?
Reality TV star Kim Kardashian has passed the “baby bar” exam required for would-be California lawyers who opt to learn the law through apprenticeship instead of law school. Kim Kardashian says she finally passed the 'baby bar' exam after her apprenticeship studies (abajournal.com) Kim is on her way to becoming a lawyer, so she has more than Daily Mail headlines.
@Recidivist Thanks for you post w link.

Based on content of her 5 Tweet series, I do not agree that her self claimed "deep dive" into the case showed she had access to more than DM headlines (or even DM articles). Imo there's a wide chasm between my idea & her idea of a "deep dive," & Twitter, by its structure/format, does not lend itself to critical analysis of criminal cases.

And I understand in Dec. she passed CA. "baby bar" exam on third try and is continuing law studies. Congrats to her, as she has maximized and monetized many opportunities available thru her family of origin; her natural & surgically enhanced good looks; her marriage to Kanye; their offspring, etc. All fine & good, no disrespect. Her choices, her life.

BTW, my post did not say that KK relied solely on DM headlines. The point was that some entertainment celebrities seem to rely on superficial, flimsy, unreliable sources in formulating their opinions. And yes, sometimes the rest of us do too. :) my2ct.

@Gardenista - you never answered my question, why was it a horrible decision?

Not @Gardenista, but did you read the linked article?

Brother Of I-70 Crash Victim Blasts Gov. Jared Polis For Reducing Truck Driver's Sentence: 'Despicable Human Being'

Websleuths is thoroughly victim-friendly, families of the deceased are also victims.

Yet the perpetrator was shown lenience in this case!

Poor decisions resulted in the death of 4 people. As a decedent's brother -- crime victim -- points out, that's roughly 1 1/2 years per victim. Very different from that State standards used at trial.

A hearing was scheduled re: sentencing. The crime victim quoted states he would be comfortable with that hearing's outcome, uncomfortable that the governor essentially pole-vaulted over the judicial process in reducing the sentence.

Right in the middle of a major crisis in the state.

1 1/2 years for a human life. Now I won't link relevant cases, but recently citizens have been sentenced to many years after a human death when the jury knew of poor decisions on each side!

Will the state review the sentences of everyone incarcerated in Colorado for causing a human death? Will those people now be released after serving 1 1/2 years per death?

Completely agree, the the governor made a horrible decision.

Your username indicates that you are an attorney. Is sentencing typically a function of the judicial segment, or the executive? Legislation sets the sentencing guidelines, legislation can change the sentencing guidelines, if the citizens want this.

The pattern of government we use, 3 branches, is a democracy.

One person making decisions is a dictatorship.

jmho ymmv lrr

Not @Gardenista, but did you read the linked article?

Brother Of I-70 Crash Victim Blasts Gov. Jared Polis For Reducing Truck Driver's Sentence: 'Despicable Human Being'

Websleuths is thoroughly victim-friendly, families of the deceased are also victims.

Yet the perpetrator was shown lenience in this case!

Poor decisions resulted in the death of 4 people. As a decedent's brother -- crime victim -- points out, that's roughly 1 1/2 years per victim. Very different from that State standards used at trial.

A hearing was scheduled re: sentencing. The crime victim quoted states he would be comfortable with that hearing's outcome, uncomfortable that the governor essentially pole-vaulted over the judicial process in reducing the sentence.

Right in the middle of a major crisis in the state.

1 1/2 years for a human life. Now I won't link relevant cases, but recently citizens have been sentenced to many years after a human death when the jury knew of poor decisions on each side!

Will the state review the sentences of everyone incarcerated in Colorado for causing a human death? Will those people now be released after serving 1 1/2 years per death?

Completely agree, the the governor made a horrible decision.

Your username indicates that you are an attorney. Is sentencing typically a function of the judicial segment, or the executive? Legislation sets the sentencing guidelines, legislation can change the sentencing guidelines, if the citizens want this.

The pattern of government we use, 3 branches, is a democracy.

One person making decisions is a dictatorship.

jmho ymmv lrr

I am an attorney, and I'm very well aware that sentencing is of the judicial segment. The judge had already set a court hearing regarding the setencing to address the amount of time sentenced.

There are plenty of people who get clemency or pardoned, what makes this particular person any different?

Also, I AGREE that he needs to do time, and I agree 10 years may be too little. I understand that the judge's hands were tied. I personally just think 110 years is disproportionate.

ETA: Even the brother in this article felt that 30 years would been a number he was comfortable with.

MOO

I am an attorney, and I'm very well aware that sentencing is of the judicial segment. The judge had already set a court hearing regarding the setencing to address the amount of time sentenced.

There are plenty of people who get clemency or pardoned, what makes this particular person any different?

Also, I AGREE that he needs to do time, and I agree 10 years may be too little. I understand that the judge's hands were tied. I personally just think 110 years is disproportionate.

ETA: Even the brother in this article felt that 30 years would been a number he was comfortable with.

MOO

So apparently it is OK with you, an attorney, that this governor, one person, devalues the judicial branch of his state, devalues the legislative branch of his state, and devalues the lives of the humans in his state.

Can't wait until January 13th to let the judicial process carry on? Can't wait to allow the victims to speak & be represented in this judicial process?

Wonder what Polis promised to his citizens in his oath of office...about upholding the laws of Colorado....

jmho ymmv lrr

So apparently it is OK with you, an attorney, that this governor, one person, devalues the judicial branch of his state, devalues the legislative branch of his state, and devalues the lives of the humans in his state.

Can't wait until January 13th to let the judicial process carry on? Can't wait to allow the victims to speak & be represented in this judicial process?

Wonder what Polis promised to his citizens in his oath of office...about upholding the laws of Colorado....

jmho ymmv lrr

The Colorado Constituion allows for clemency. He didn't act outside of legal bounds.

I already said I don't agree with the 10 years, so I'm not okay with him devaluing human lives.

Colorado judge slams Gov. Polis' lack of 'respect' in reducing truck driver's sentence by 100 years

Jones responded in an order canceling the Jan. 13 hearing, in which he wrote that the "court respects the authority of the Governor to do so," according to the filing obtained by FOX 31.

He added: "Based on the timing of the decision, however, it appears this respect is not mutual. The Court again extends its condolences to the families of those who died, to those who were injured, and to all who were traumatized because of the events on I-70 on April 25, 2019."

After news of the decision, First Judicial District Attorney Alexis King – who had been seeking a resentencing of 20 to 30 years – said she was "disappointed in the Governor’s decision to act prematurely," FOX 31 reported.

Three functioning branches of government is a democracy.

A lone individual governing is a dictator.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879
Back