CO - Seorin Kim, 44, and 2.5 month-old daughter found dead, professor husband Nicholas Myklebust arrested on suspicion of murder, Denver, 29 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the Denver Post, the baby who died last week was named Lesley Kim, and she was 2 1/2 months old.
The previous baby who died was a boy named "Bear Myklebust, was just nine days old when he died on Oct. 4, 2021, after suffering skull fractures, according to prosecutors and the medical examiner’s office."
Are these their official government-designated names? Interesting that first baby had fathers last name but recent baby had mothers last name....

Are these their official government-designated names? Interesting that first baby had fathers last name but recent baby had mothers last name....

When the parents have different last names, there are alternatives to hyphenating the child’s name. One option is to alternate the last name for each child: first born gets one last name, second gets the other. Another option is to pair boys with the father’s name and girls with the mother’s (or even vice versa). I don’t know if any of this applies here, but I’ve seen all kinds of alternative naming conventions in academia. JMO.

According to the Denver Post, the baby who died last week was named Lesley Kim, and she was 2 1/2 months old.
The previous baby who died was a boy named "Bear Myklebust, was just nine days old when he died on Oct. 4, 2021, after suffering skull fractures, according to prosecutors and the medical examiner’s office."
Odd that apparently boys get dad's last name and girls get mom's.

That could be a gender thing. IIRC, some East Asian countries have a gender-determined last name.
ETA: Just saw you had said the same kind of thing, @azure

Do you think LE might re-investigate the death of the son in 2021?
Well, the Denver Post article I posted said police would not comment on that case "citing the ongoing case." I don't know what the scope of the "ongoing case" is and whether it includes Bear or just Seorin an Lesley, but I'm hopeful! The DP has a rather draconian paywall so I'll post the full quote below with bbm.

"Lesley is the second infant to die while in Myklebust’s care, prosecutors have said. The couple’s first child, Bear Myklebust, was just nine days old when he died on Oct. 4, 2021, after suffering skull fractures, according to prosecutors and the medical examiner’s office.

Bear was taken to Children’s Hospital Colorado at 6:29 a.m. by ambulance from the 2800 block of Roslyn Street, according to the medical examiner’s office.

The office performed an autopsy at that time and ruled Bear’s cause and manner of death to be undetermined, the office said in a news release Friday.

Denver police also investigated Bear’s death, but no charges were filed. Police this week declined to provide any details of the 2021 investigation, citing the ongoing case."

I wonder what the red on his neck is? There sure is a lot of it.
View attachment 521571

What a psycho ! He looks strung out, probably meth.

MOO

Unless they bring charges on the death of the daughter, you're right probably won't be much in the news.
I agree with you & @tlcya... probably nothing until the next court appearance, unless there are charges on either/both of the babies, or someone close to the case talks to the media (the judge declined to issue a gag order.)

I've been hearing about it a lot because I teach at a different Denver university and some of my students (who are all graduate level) got their bachelor's degrees at Regis and knew/knew of/were taught by NM. There's a huge amount of gossip that I can't share here. My husband went there, too, for a master's degree in tech so therefore didn't interact with NM at all, but I can say the whole Regis community and our whole neighborhood (we live about 2 miles west of where this happened) is horrified and fascinated by this tragedy.

Whoa. And GOOD. And, of course NM's attorney hates it. But any evidence must be preserved.

"A Denver District Court judge in an unusual move Friday ordered the body of the baby found dead in a Regis University professor’s home last month be held for 30 days instead of being released to the child’s family for cremation."

"District Court Judge Ericka Englert on Friday ordered that Lesley’s body be held at the Office of the Denver Medical Examiner for 30 days even though pathologists there have finished their work.

“In this case, it is an unusual situation in that there is no manner of death, no cause of death provided,” she said. “We don’t yet have the autopsy report. The defense does not have the results of testing. And a release of the body right now would likely lead to, for lack of a better term, destruction of the evidence.”"

"Pathologists conducted a full autopsy on Lesley’s body, but expect the final autopsy report will not be finished for three to five months because of various testing that is underway, said Breena Meng, an attorney with the Denver City Attorney’s Office. She represented the medical examiner’s office in Friday’s hearing."

So much more in the article.

Lots of new stuff about Seorin, too.
"People who attended court in support of Seorin and Lesley Kim declined to comment after the hearing.

Seorin Kim, who described herself as a “dancer in the rain” on her Facebook page, posted videos on YouTube of herself singing and playing keyboard. She posted about writing and composing songs, including one song in 2011 about a pet rabbit named Mushroom Myklebust.

“This is a sweet and simple piano tune I composed and dedicated to this furry genius,” the video caption reads."
1723333484730.png

I wonder what Seorin thought about her baby son's death? She went on to have another baby with her husband. I wonder if she had any doubts?

Whoa. And GOOD. And, of course NM's attorney hates it. But any evidence must be preserved.
rsbm.

I think you misread the article. It's the defense attorney who requested that the baby's body be held, and the prosecution who opposed it.

Myklebust has not been charged with his daughter’s killing, but might be, said his public defender, Rebecca Butler-Dines. Because of that potential, she asked that Lesley’s body be held until all the testing was completed so that the defense team could review the prosecution’s findings and then potentially pursue its own testing, she said in court Friday.
Prosecutor Anthony Santos, who called the defense request an “unprecedented situation,” said it was not appropriate for the medical examiner’s office to hold Lesley’s body “indefinitely” while the defense team mulled its options.

Interesting that Myklebust has a public defender. He was an associate professor, so presumably made decent money. I would have thought he would be have sufficient funds to retain private counsel. Makes one wonder if money issues played a part.

rsbm.

I think you misread the article. It's the defense attorney who requested that the baby's body be held, and the prosecution who opposed it.

Myklebust has not been charged with his daughter’s killing, but might be, said his public defender, Rebecca Butler-Dines. Because of that potential, she asked that Lesley’s body be held until all the testing was completed so that the defense team could review the prosecution’s findings and then potentially pursue its own testing, she said in court Friday.
Prosecutor Anthony Santos, who called the defense request an “unprecedented situation,” said it was not appropriate for the medical examiner’s office to hold Lesley’s body “indefinitely” while the defense team mulled its options.

Interesting that Myklebust has a public defender. He was an associate professor, so presumably made decent money. I would have thought he would be have sufficient funds to retain private counsel. Makes one wonder if money issues played a part.
Thanks, you're very right - it was Rebecca Butler-Dines, the public defender who requested the body be held.
I'll correct my post. ;)

Edit: ugh, the edit button is already gone on that one. But I do stand corrected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc
Back