CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know why the FBI would be involved? No state lines crossed, no Federal offenses, not a serial killer?

....because they have a tremendous amount of resources when it comes to situations which may be abductions. The local agency probably asked for assistance due to the circumstances.

Last edited:
He really was stupid.

But think about it. If the plane was not delayed, he would have had several hours extra. Girls already dead. Wife could be gone as soon as she got home. CW would have had double the time to get all of them into an oil tank. Hiding place was excellent. Almost impossible to trace, as long as he moved the bodies carefully.

Get back home, clean up, text his wife, and go to work.

Probably would have been helpful if he had not been so overconfident about his “acting” skills. Since he didn’t have them. Probably got inspired by other recent disappearance cases and figured that if all the bodies were safely encased in oil, he’d be okay—no bodies, no crime.

But he didn’t have a Plan B. So when Plan A screwed up, he screwed up. And then he made it worse by acting totally stupid in front of the media and the police.

Which, good. I’m glad he didn’t get away with it. But I do think that in his mind, the planning was airtight, provided everything fell into place. Which it did not.

Also, IF SW's flight had been on time, he might have been able to walk away from this as a 'victim' in people's eyes.

He could have strangled the girls, left them in their beds. Then waited until SW went up to check on them, and attacked her from behind, killing her.

Then he calls 911, says he came upon his wife killing the babies and he had to fight her off. He needs an ambulance and fast...

Then he acts all shocked and grief stricken, after staging the scene with wife's DNA on the babies.

But her late flight ruined it foe him because he had already killed the babies. And she arrived so much later, his story would no longer work.

I was wondering that too, are they still involved or were they only involved when it was a possible abduction?

Edited to add- is the oil field federal property?

I don't believe the oil field is Federal Property, but your thought about involvement when it was a possible abduction may be correct. Kudos.

Last edited:
There are other psychological conditions other than just psychopath that can cause people to be emotionally disconnected from others.

Until I have a lot more information about CW's history, for me its too simplistic to slap this label on him as an explanation for why he committed this crime.
Thank you. Anti-social behavior can mean a lot of things, and narcissist isn't always part of the bundle.

That graphic posted in an earlier thread was a big help.

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings

In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.

All are false.

Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.

And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

Investigating Child Abductions — FBI
CW probably breathed a sigh of relief when FBI was called. 'Whew, I'm off the hook. Let's look for the kidnapper now." lol.

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings

In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.

All are false.

Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.

And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

Investigating Child Abductions — FBI

Excellent! Thank you. May I also say I enjoy your posts, well done.

Also, IF SW's flight had been on time, he might have been able to walk away from this as a 'victim' in people's eyes.

He could have strangled the girls, left them in their beds. Then waited until SW went up to check on them, and attacked her from behind, killing her.

Then he calls 911, says he came upon his wife killing the babies and he had to fight her off. He needs an ambulance and fast...

Then he acts all shocked and grief stricken, after staging the scene with wife's DNA on the babies.

But her late flight ruined it foe him because he had already killed the babies. And she arrived so much later, his story would no longer work.
Late flight and a good friend ruined his plan. Damn, poor guy.

In light of the newest revelation about CW's male relationship and orientation not to mention the mistress, what I am thinking now is that SW discovered all this out somehow and this was why she went to NC for 6 weeks to process the news and decide what her next step would be ~ I assume SW needed her family's emotional and logistical support back in NC. I can't for the life of me imagine if someone was happily married that they would leave them for 6 weeks especially with SW's business being in CO and all her contacts and responsibilities to running a home, paying utilities, Thrive business. I think the family in NC knows much more then we thought they did and even NU knows much much more which is why she went from 0 to 100 with concern for SW that morning.

Side note:
To demonstrate the logistics that was made to go to NC for 6 weeks, SW would have had to figure out how to deliver her Thrive products to customers in CO while she was in NC especially those who had reoccurring auto deliveries set up as I imagine it is like a monthly subscription account for products to be delivered.

Also, I am thinking that SW went to medical appointments in NC and that was where she found out the sex of the baby which in part is why her brother knew this and posted this shortly after they were discovered.

I was a member of a subscription autoship program like Thrive has and the orders are placed online (they renew automatically each month on a certain date) and everything is sent from a central warehouse. She might have been able to handle everything as usual over the phone and online.

(meant as a reply to lbdb. Oops!)

Anybody remember that family killer, Chris Coleman, who worked as security for a televangelist? He wanted a clean slate with his wife’s childhood friend.
He was very concerned about what others thought of him and tried to make it look like it was a hit of some kind. I wonder if there are any similarities to this case?

In light of the newest revelation about CW's male relationship and orientation not to mention the mistress, what I am thinking now is that SW discovered all this out somehow and this was why she went to NC for 6 weeks to process the news and decide what her next step would be ~ I assume SW needed her family's emotional and logistical support back in NC. I can't for the life of me imagine if someone was happily married that they would leave them for 6 weeks especially with SW's business being in CO and all her contacts and responsibilities to running a home, paying utilities, Thrive business. I think the family in NC knows much more then we thought they did and even NU knows much much more which is why she went from 0 to 100 with concern for SW that morning.

Side note:
To demonstrate the logistics that was made to go to NC for 6 weeks, SW would have had to figure out how to deliver her Thrive products to customers in CO while she was in NC especially those who had reoccurring auto deliveries set up as I imagine it is like a monthly subscription account for products to be delivered.

Also, I am thinking that SW went to medical appointments in NC and that was where she found out the sex of the baby which in part is why her brother knew this and posted this shortly after they were discovered.

I agree. And I wonder how she found out. Did she find out via his phone? A stray text message, maybe? A stray photo? Or did she find out because her doctor appointments uncovered a mysterious STD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23