CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. I thought the court appearance where we watched Shanann's father's sob his poor heart out was the arraignment, and the next court date is a status conference. Color me confused. o_O
That's what I thought too.

He waived his right to a preliminary hearing...

While Watts waived his right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days during an Aug. 21 advisement hearing, he retained the right to have one. During preliminary hearings, both sides go over evidence in the case and the judge decides if there's enough evidence to proceed to a trial.

The case would then continue toward a jury trial.

What's next for the Colorado murder case against Christopher Watts?

I went back to AB to listen and make sure. I typed it out just like she said it. It's seems like she would know but then I just googled CW arraignment and it does say that's what he just had, so IHNI lol.
Has not been arraigned. We are months away from knowing if they’re going to impose DP. At November 10 preliminary they will schedule arraignment. All they’ve done so far is file charges. CO law different. File charges first. Then preliminary, then arraignment, then speedy trial. Could take months. Arraignments happen after negotiations have broken down, and plea agreement wasn’t reached. At that point defendant pleads guilty or not guilty.

That's what I thought too.

He waived his right to a preliminary hearing...

While Watts waived his right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days during an Aug. 21 advisement hearing, he retained the right to have one. During preliminary hearings, both sides go over evidence in the case and the judge decides if there's enough evidence to proceed to a trial.

The case would then continue toward a jury trial.

What's next for the Colorado murder case against Christopher Watts?

FWIW, I think it was the right decision to waive the prelim hearing because the evidence him would be so damning (MOO) that it would forever prejudice his ability to get a fair trial.

JMO

This article shows their combined income as of June 2015:

In June, 2015, the couple filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, saying their year-to-date income in 2015 was $40,491. The filing listed debts more than $400,000 including a mortgage of $378,000. Other debts totaling more than $70,000 included miscellaneous credit card charges in 2015 totaling more than $44,569, and 2015 purchases from Nordstrom for a credit card balance of $3,038, and Macy's for a credit card balance of $1,301. The couple also declared student loan debts of $11,000 and had medical bills for around $2,500.

Frederick Couple Faced Economic Pressure, Had Filed Bankruptcy
$40,000 is a lot less than $140,000 - I guess that's the point you're making. I agree with you!

I also see poor decisions in this list - such as a credit card debt that is bigger than their income. Doesn't really matter, as obviously they had enough money trouble to file bankruptcy. and instead of getting back on their feet, they continued to have financial difficulties, if the HOA issue is an indication (which I think it is).

Whatever was going on, it was no reason for murder.

jmo

Has not been arraigned. We are months away from knowing if they’re going to impose DP. At November 10 preliminary they will schedule arraignment. All they’ve done so far is file charges. CO law different. File charges first. Then preliminary, then arraignment, then speedy trial. Could take months. Arraignments happen after negotiations have broken down, and plea agreement wasn’t reached. At that point defendant pleads guilty or not guilty.

That's what the atty said, and she should know, but my point is previous articles said it was an arraignment. Google chris watts arraignment and you'll see what I mean.

@Gardenista said:
According to the atty who used to work for Weld Cnty DA, he has not been arraigned yet. All we've had is a formal reading of charges.
Hmmm. I thought the court appearance where we watched Shanann's father's sob his poor heart out was the arraignment, and the next court date is a status conference. Color me confused. o_O
I went back to AB to listen and make sure. I typed it out just like she said it. It's seems like she would know but then I just googled CW arraignment and it does say that's what he just had, so IHNI lol.
I don't practice criminal law, so I don't know. I did practice a little criminal defense in another state, but Colorado does things so differently that it seems really strange to me.
ETA: In Texas, the State would have so long after an arrest to indict the suspect. Then then first appearance after indictment would be the arraignment, and the defendant would enter a plea (almost always Not Guilty).
Hmm.. all reports are that CW was arraigned on 21 August 2018 (SW sobbing father). CW did however waived his right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days of the Tuesday advisement, but maintained his the right to hold the hearing at a later date. MOO
EDIT: I don't see where CW has entered a plea so I believe arraignment is still pending.

Last edited:
$40,000 is a lot less than $140,000 - I guess that's the point you're making. I agree with you!

I also see poor decisions in this list - such as a credit card debt that is bigger than their income. Doesn't really matter, as obviously they had enough money trouble to file bankruptcy. and instead of getting back on their feet, they continued to have financial difficulties, if the HOA issue is an indication (which I think it is).

Whatever was going on, it was no reason for murder.

jmo
That $40,000 was up to June of that year. It was not their annual income.
That is how I read it anyway.

It's a matter of opinion, I think, but I don't think so. This is a 3-minute video with a demonstration of the monitor. What do you think?
What I thought was so fascinating about that segment was when AB said he would have had to have toggled that monitor, after observing Bella “sprawled out and blue” to see SW in the act of strangling Celeste. And would any parent do that? If you saw your child sprawled out and blue, wouldn’t you drop everything and run to that room?

What I thought was so fascinating about that segment was when AB said he would have had to have toggled that monitor, after observing Bella “sprawled out and blue” to see SW in the act of strangling Celeste. And would any parent do that? If you saw your child sprawled out and blue, wouldn’t you drop everything and run to that room?
Yep, add that to the "lies" column.

It's a matter of opinion, but I don't think so. This is a 3-minute video with a demonstration of the monitor. What do you think?
But a lot of people here claimed these particular monitors were black and white. This doesn't look black & white to me. Also, the kids probably had a night light and possibly he could tell if one turned blue. I"m not saying this is true, but people shouldn't post things as fact when they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine