Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But not being a “sophisticated” liar isn’t exactly much of a positive. A liar is a liar, even a terrible one.

He did manipulate evidence though, the body dumping being the biggest one.

I don’t know how the defense will turn his ineptitude into a good thing.
Yes, although I think that many could say his interviews showed a very sophisticated liar. Steady eye contact, lack of significant despair or emotion. Was he Oscar worthy? No. Would many of us be able to pull off the act he did? Not everyone...he smartly spends a lot of his time talking about topics he is comfortable with...e.g. unrelated to the crimes (tshirt, naming all the types of police there multiple times, etc).

In Colorado, autopsy results are public record. The prosecution says that they don’t want them released, and risk tainting the jury pool. I’m taking this at face value.

I don’t practice in Colorado, but I did a little research and this seems unusual. I can’t find any other cases where the DA (rather than the custodian) made the request, nor can I find any where they made the claim about tainting the jury pool. Not saying it doesn’t exist - just that i can’t find any.

The ones I’ve seen (where the motion was granted) related to 1) situations where the perpetrator was still unknown and 2) where the families of the victims claimed they would suffer extensively with the release of the reports. (I am NOT saying they wouldn’t, in this case - but that is not what the prosecution is claiming)

This motion definitely piqued my curiosity and I will be interested to see how it plays out

I can't fathom that anyone from either side of the aisle would want the autopsy results released before trial, nor can I believe there is some sort of vast conspiracy theory from the prosecution when the defense has the same access.

After the field day that has been had with a bunch of social media videos, analyzing, accusing, diagnosing... can you imagine the circus in the public and media if the autopsies hit?

They would both be tried in the media until a fair trial and impartial jury would be impossible, and the trial is a long ways away. CW's lawyers are already complaining about media and leaks.

People would have every page spread out everywhere, there would be arguments and analysis about handprint sizes and cause and time of death and who did what when.... No one but the experts should have any access to that until the trial is underway. JMHO.

One of Nick Thayer's quotes from the ABC interview has always intrigued me. I think we're missing a bit of context (sounds like there's a cut between the sentences) but the part about the FBI agent saying CW was "looking for ideas"... What do you think he was doing? Text below:

Nick Thayer: "He was worried with how this... how he's being looked at, you know what I mean. Like, he was worried with what people were saying."
[Sounds like there's an edit here.]
Journalist: "Very concerned with how he was being perceived."
NT: "Yeah, he was and I didn't really think much of it until the FBI agent was like: 'Sounds like he was looking for ideas.'"

You can listen here from around 2.20 in the video:
Thanks for sharing the video, I also heard him say the FBI agent thought CW was looking for ideas. Maybe the FBI agent meant CW was trying to behave like a grieving dad but didn't know how and was looking for cues on how to grieve like a NORMAL father would if his family went missing.

I realize that - hence the motion to seal them in the first place. IMO it's going to take more that a tainted jury pool to have the motion granted. JMO

I also think they are hoping to avoid having the entire trial take place on Ashleigh Banfield before any of them can get to court. I'm not a Nancy Grace hater but I don't think her show did the CA prosecution any favors leading up to trial. They'd have to be thinking about that circus as well.

I would also not be shocked to see one side or the other move to have cameras banned from the courtroom for trial.

I have been following this thread, still only on thread six but had to come and say what an evil I think he is. I am a single parent to more than one child and it can be hard, there’s times I’ve felt like screaming my head off, I’ve felt like packing my bags and going, but never ending my kids lives. I hope he get everything he deserves.

Good question.

I love my back home family members. But going to visit for 5 weeks with my kids while pregnant would be a bit much.

So I actually think SW was actually considering moving back out there and probably looked at daycare options as well while there.

Btw. CW could have had 1000 mistresses.

But I guarantee that the emotional conversation was probably based off he thought she was actually preparing to move back to nc with the girls jmo

And "if" she got in a tiff with the inlaws while visiting, and said she would never be visiting them again.... That would reinforce it perhaps that they would be separating and they would never be visiting there again?.

In the infamous porch interview, CW makes this comment, …" so like she barely let me she barely got barely gotten into bed…"

I am curious what he meant by she barely let me ?
IMO, "she barely got barely gotten into bed" is indicative of when he strangled her.

Nice catch. I just watched/listened to that part again. Replayed it several times. He clearly says "let me.." in that sentence. I wonder what he meant as well...

He manipulated the most important evidence in any murder - all three dead bodies. They were at the very least moved to two locations (truck, oilfield), dumped in oil tanks where he *knew* trace evidence would be affected, and allowed to decomposed for days, which would have been longer if he had is way. As for other evidence, we have no earthly idea yet what evidence he tampered with, IMO. Please correct me if I am wrong here...
They will say he panicked. And dumped the bodies in such a way because he did not plan the murder.

I also think they are hoping to avoid having the entire trial take place on Ashleigh Banfield before any of them can get to court. I'm not a Nancy Grace hater but I don't think her show did the CA prosecution any favors leading up to trial. They'd have to be thinking about that circus as well.

I would also not be shocked to see one side or the other move to have cameras banned from the courtroom for trial.
BBM: I agree, I think cameras will be banned. I hope not, though.

The interviews reveal he is not a sophisticated liar and the defense will use that to their advantage.

He also did not manipulate evidence, though partly because of NUA, so another check mark under positive column for the defense team.

I think oh contraire. The garage door code was changed, oh yeah he said it was broken. And the front door lock was on so nobody could get in although her girlfriend could partially. He just didn't get it all done. He tried.

I know this has been discussed but I am not clear on the answer. When was the truck backed into the garage? Was this witnessed by neighbor or by time stamp on neighbor’s camera? TIA

Yes, although I think that many could say his interviews showed a very sophisticated liar. Steady eye contact, lack of significant despair or emotion. Was he Oscar worthy? No. Would many of us be able to pull off the act he did? Not everyone...he smartly spends a lot of his time talking about topics he is comfortable with...e.g. unrelated to the crimes (tshirt, naming all the types of police there multiple times, etc).
Sorry to reply to my own post...but wanted to add: I do not think ANYTHING about these media interviews helps the defense that I can see. When you are trying to argue that yes, he lied, but he is a victim here, too, because she killed the children, his demeaner is even harder to get around. Who among us, who just lost their children through no fault of our own, could maintain that demeaner? It is much more in line with the demeaner of someone who wanted what happened (all dead) and is afraid of being caught. Losing your children at the hands of your wife, practically under your nose, is a devastation that people will not be able to square with these interviews 36 hours later...much less in the text messages and voicemail he left his dead wife just hours later to make it look like she was missing later on.

Sorry to reply to my own post...but wanted to add: I do not think ANYTHING about these media interviews helps the defense that I can see. When you are trying to argue that yes, he lied, but he is a victim here, too, because she killed the children, his demeaner is even harder to get around. Who among us, who just lost their children through no fault of our own, could maintain that demeaner? It is much more in line with the demeaner of someone who wanted what happened (all dead) and is afraid of being caught. Losing your children at the hands of your wife, practically under your nose, is a devastation that people will not be able to square with these interviews 36 hours later...much less in the text messages and voicemail he left his dead wife just hours later to make it look like she was missing later on.
His actions are sneaky and there is no way on earth I would think an exhausted, pregnant mom who got home at 4am decided to strangle her toddler/s. His story has more holes than a Swiss cheese <modsnip snarky comment >

Last edited by a moderator:
They will say he panicked. And dumped the bodies in such a way because he did not plan the murder.
Since we are assuming he never committed murder before, whether planned or not, annihilating your entire family would cause panic and mistakes to be made. I don't think it proves a lack of premeditation, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89