Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And "if" she got in a tiff with the inlaws while visiting, and said she would never be visiting them again.... That would reinforce it perhaps that they would be separating and they would never be visiting there again?.
What makes you think SW got into a tiff with her in-laws?

I don’t practice in Colorado, but I did a little research and this seems unusual. I can’t find any other cases where the DA (rather than the custodian) made the request, nor can I find any where they made the claim about tainting the jury pool. Not saying it doesn’t exist - just that i can’t find any.

The ones I’ve seen (where the motion was granted) related to 1) situations where the perpetrator was still unknown and 2) where the families of the victims claimed they would suffer extensively with the release of the reports. (I am NOT saying they wouldn’t, in this case - but that is not what the prosecution is claiming)

This motion definitely piqued my curiosity and I will be interested to see how it plays out

Could this be the DA playing nice with the defense to get the prints, DNA etc that they had requested? Meaning, the DA knows the defense does not want the findings released so they say 'hey we will file this if you give us what we want".

Could this be the DA playing nice with the defense to get the prints, DNA etc that they had requested? Meaning, the DA knows the defense does not want the findings released so they say 'hey we will file this if you give us what we want".
I doubt it, the judge is almost certain to rule in the favor of the prosecution anyways. With probable cause, they absolutely have a right to his prints and DNA

Since we are assuming he never committed murder before, whether planned or not, annihilating your entire family would cause panic and mistakes to be made. I don't think it proves a lack of premeditation, IMO.
I think so too, but his attorneys will insist no deliberation or premeditation. He made too many mistakes.

Yes, although I think that many could say his interviews showed a very sophisticated liar. Steady eye contact, lack of significant despair or emotion. Was he Oscar worthy? No. Would many of us be able to pull off the act he did? Not everyone...he smartly spends a lot of his time talking about topics he is comfortable with...e.g. unrelated to the crimes (tshirt, naming all the types of police there multiple times, etc).
But he really is baaaaadddd. What he says hardly even makes sense. Gosh... those interviews were a dumb thing to do. He should have stuck with the 'I am too worried and sad to give interviews' story.

I can't fathom that anyone from either side of the aisle would want the autopsy results released before trial, nor can I believe there is some sort of vast conspiracy theory from the prosecution when the defense has the same access.

After the field day that has been had with a bunch of social media videos, analyzing, accusing, diagnosing... can you imagine the circus in the public and media if the autopsies hit?

They would both be tried in the media until a fair trial and impartial jury would be impossible, and the trial is a long ways away. CW's lawyers are already complaining about media and leaks.

People would have every page spread out everywhere, there would be arguments and analysis about handprint sizes and cause and time of death and who did what when.... No one but the experts should have any access to that until the trial is underway. JMHO.

Edit: Ugh, posting probs today.
The press will likely go after the reports. The Ohio Supreme Court just ruled today that the press can have access to the Rhoden family murders preliminary autopsy reports. It took them nearly 2 1/2 years to reach that point, though.
The Latest: Few details about slayings in autopsy reports

The state is not blocking the release of it for trial purposes. All of that information will be there. If it appears to favor the defendant in any way, we will see then.
Do you suppose that might affect if the trial is televised or not?

Regardless as to who he said killed his daughters, his demeanor afterwards and his actions at the Thayers were telling.

How could he not grieve for those little girls? Especially knowing they were laying dead in dark oil, that his last memory of them was putting them there? How? Half the world is now grieving for them and we didn’t even know them.

That was their daddy, they trusted him and he’s laughing and showing off his shirt, checking himself on tv and planning to sell the house. IMO he killed them or he’d never be that evilly detached.

But he really is baaaaadddd. What he says hardly even makes sense. Gosh... those interviews were a dumb thing to do. He should have stuck with the 'I am too worried and sad to give interviews' story.
He couldn't help himself though, he wanted to bask in the media attention of being a grieving husband and daddy, all the while knowing he has killed them. Perhaps it was the first time in a long time that he was getting attention instead of SW because she was the more outgoing of the two in their marriage. Now he decides its his turn to "shine". UGH. :mad:

Regardless as to who he said killed his daughters, his demeanor afterwards and his actions at the Thayers were telling.

How could he not grieve for those little girls? Especially knowing they were laying dead in dark oil, that his last memory of them was putting them there? How? Half the world is now grieving for them and we didn’t even know them.

That was their daddy, they trusted him and he’s laughing and showing off his shirt, checking himself on tv and planning to sell the house. IMO he killed them or he’d never be that evilly detached.
BBM: because he lacks empathy and compassion, and the moral compass to know that murder is wicked and never a solution. If you want out of your marriage then leave, even if it means financial hardship. Better than murdering your family and sitting in prison until you die. And look at the awful ripple effect of his actions -- family, friends etc. MOO MOO MOO.

I don’t see that happening - I think they are totally separate, each side making their motions for their own specific reasons

I think so too, but his attorneys will insist no deliberation or premeditation. He made too many mistakes.
I think it would be interesting for a criminal attorney VI here to comment on what can constitute premeditation. It is my understanding that it can be a VERY short period of planning...just not a "in the heat of the moment or passion" event. Given how long strangling takes (versus a gunshot, for example), you have many moments to back out as well. I also wonder how hard it is to prove premeditation when you have 3 killings, which very likely given strangling had to happen one after another at the very least - not simultaneously. Whatever happened, he had many, many minutes to stop before all three were dead, even assuming they happened one after another, which we do not know.

In Colorado, autopsy results are public record. The prosecution says that they don’t want them released, and risk tainting the jury pool. I’m taking this at face value.
@MassGuy if autopsies are public in Colorado, does that mean that the Prosecutors request to withhold the reports, will the request to keep sealed be likely declined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess9976