Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think LE were totally onto him before he even did the interviews. From the sounds of what the 9News journalist was saying in that interview, CW was expressing concern to the journalist pre-interview (on the phone) about possibly having the finger pointed at him. To me, the journalist sounds skeptical about what CW's real concerns are.
It's hard to hear as the audio on the journo isn't great and apologies if I haven't transcribed it 100% accurately but this is what I hear the journalist saying around 2.55mins in.

"I wanted to ask you a little bit about the hard part. Your first thought is: 'Where are they? I want them back.' Your second thought is, you know, your friends were telling me, you've got some... and we kind of heard from you a little over the phone... You're also... your second thought is that you're afraid people think you may have done something."

Love how he casually says there is a driveway in the back with no cameras around 6:55 (but he doesn't want to "speculate" as he is moving speculation to she was removed from back of the home)

I think LE were totally onto him before he even did the interviews. From the sounds of what the 9News journalist was saying in that interview, CW was expressing concern to the journalist pre-interview (on the phone) about possibly having the finger pointed at him. To me, the journalist sounds skeptical about what CW's real concerns are.
It's hard to hear as the audio on the journo isn't great and apologies if I haven't transcribed it 100% accurately but this is what I hear the journalist saying around 2.55mins in.

"I wanted to ask you a little bit about the hard part. Your first thought is: 'Where are they? I want them back.' Your second thought is, you know, your friends were telling me, you've got some... and we kind of heard from you a little over the phone... You're also... your second thought is that you're afraid people think you may have done something."

Absolutely they were onto him. They had forensic investigators working the case while they were still missing. MOO

Good morning.

I have some questions for the attorneys on here, particularly @Amandaaa , our trial lawyer.

I know we on WS are allowed to presume someone guilty, but under the US Constitution, everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

In your opinion, does the fact that LE is just now trying to get DNA/prints from CW mean they did not have enough evidence to arrest him in the first place? I am wondering what evidence they actually have.

I also wonder if he would be in jail right now if he had not confessed (without legal counsel) to killing his wife in defense of his children and leading them to the bodies?

In your legal opinion (from what we know and are now seeing), does it seem they may have rushed to judgment in presuming guilt?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Excellent questions - thank you!

After the reporter mentions that people might think CW may have done something, CW's voice really waivered and got hollow. That made him very uncomfortable and he wanted to squeeze out of that tight spot quickly.

I notice the reporter asks him if she could have taken off. His response to the reporter, at 2:18, "Could she have van,, (vanished is what he was about to say and he stops abruptly), could she has just taken off?..."
I think the vanished is what he wanted from what he did... people to think she just vanished. Then he realized he was getting ahead of himself and not answering the specific question from the reporter. He was thinking the end result of what he wanted people to think and then realizes he was back in the present where people are still just wondering if she had taken off and would be returning. He knew she wasn't returning. So to him, he knew she had not taken off so could she has just vanished?? That is where he intended the public to go in due time. His family just vanished...

There is an awful lot of dog barking going on in this video ...

Why would a guilty person allow themselves to be interviewed by a reporter?
If my child were missing I would use the media to reach out in hopes of finding my child. If I had done something to cause my child missing I would be a fool to put myself front and center. CW's best bet would have just been to say, oh we (CW and SW) had a quarrel and she's acting out.....but not to the media!

Why would a guilty person allow themselves to be interviewed by a reporter?
If my child were missing I would use the media to reach out in hopes of finding my child. If I had done something to cause my child missing I would be a fool to put myself front and center. CW's best bet would have just been to say, oh we (CW and SW) had a quarrel and she's acting out.....but not to the media!
BBM I think you answered your own question. :D I would say further, that his lies have served him well enough in the past that he's confident in thinking he can fool a reporter. Maybe he didn't think about the CBI and FBI listening. Big oops.

Good morning.

I have some questions for the attorneys on here, particularly @Amandaaa , our trial lawyer.

I know we on WS are allowed to presume someone guilty, but under the US Constitution, everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

In your opinion, does the fact that LE is just now trying to get DNA/prints from CW mean they did not have enough evidence to arrest him in the first place? I am wondering what evidence they actually have.

I also wonder if he would be in jail right now if he had not confessed (without legal counsel) to killing his wife in defense of his children and leading them to the bodies?

In your legal opinion (from what we know and are now seeing), does it seem they may have rushed to judgment in presuming guilt?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
No I think they had enough to arrest him, based on his admissions (SW and disposal of the bodies).

I do not see anything unusual with the evidentiary requests the prosecution has made so far - I would have expected this as the investigation moves along - nor do I see anything unusual in the responses/objections filed by the defense. I would have done the same.

Really, I don’t see anything unusual about any of the motions on either side, except for the request to seal the autopsy report. That does strike me as odd, even under these circumstances - but I’m sure we will learn more about that in the near future.

BBM I think you answered your own question. :D I would say further, that his lies have served him well enough in the past that he's confident in thinking he can fool a reporter. Maybe he didn't think about the CBI and FBI listening. Big oops.
Right. He got away with all his cheating and everyone thought he was such a wonderful husband and father. I'm sure he thought if he could fool family, friends and neighbors, he could fool anyone.

No I think they had enough to arrest him, based on his admissions (SW and disposal of the bodies).

I do not see anything unusual with the evidentiary requests the prosecution has made so far - I would have expected this as the investigation moves along - nor do I see anything unusual in the responses/objections filed by the defense. I would have done the same.

Really, I don’t see anything unusual about any of the motions on either side, except for the request to seal the autopsy report. That does strike me as odd, even under these circumstances - but I’m sure we will learn more about that in the near future.

Thank you @Amandaaa

Liars do the strangest things. They usually forget the best of advice.....less said best. Their verbal "coverups" are usually a tell. With the exception of those who love him and quite possibly just can't see CW in this light, I think most found his interviews quite telling. IMO his lying was obvious.

Liars do the strangest things. They usually forget the best of advice.....less said best. Their verbal "coverups" are usually a tell. With the exception of those who love him and quite possibly just can't see CW in this light, I think most found his interviews quite telling. IMO his lying was obvious.

I don’t think anyone is debating whether or not he lied in his TV interview. Hopefully we’ll have some new information soon to discuss, as I feel we all are beginning to beat a dead horse, so to speak.

FYI I’m still waaaaay behind on the last thread which won’t let me reply - not a lot of time today so I may not be able to catch up.

Can’t believe how fast these threads fill up - can’t imagine what it’s going to be like when there’s some kind of major announcement/breakthrough!

Unless there's something obvious that points in another direction investigators almost always look at the people closest to the victim or missing person and work their way out. Even if a person is complety innocent I would think it would be a normal response to be somewhat concerned the finger was going to be pointed at you. I believe CW knew everything he said was going to be analyzed. At the time of the interview, I think he knew it was only matter of time before he was going to be held accountable. In my opinion, he planned on coming clean to LE with his story, but he wanted to talk to his dad and to see him in person before he confessed to LE. I really think he was thinking there was a possibility that he was going to be arresting during the interview. I think he looks and acts scared.
jmo, moo, imo

I have a question about the motions, they are all worded as though CW has a lot of input, almost as if they come directly from him. I realise they act on his behalf, I’m just curious how much input CW has in reality.

Would they confer with him every time before they file something, or would they generally seek some kind of blanket permission to just go ahead whenever they see fit?

TIA!

Last night there were some posts about the size of the "manholes" on the tanks, I can't remember the specific term. A few people mentioned the circumferences, ie 24" or 36". Just to clarify, we're not talking about diameter here? For example 24" circumference is the distance around the electric kettle on my counter, 23" is the distance around my head with a thick scarf on and 35" is the circumference around the outside of one of those 5 gallon water bottles (carboy) I just happen to have in my office. Not saying we're using the wrong measurements, but no way he could stuff, IMO, any human body down the 24" circumference hole. Even the 36" circumference hole would not allow a person to enter it, unless compacted lengthwise or dismembered. The 36" circumference hole would be very tight for even a child, I'd think, and maybe, depending on when he killed them they might already be in full rigor mortis (?).

Last edited:
Yes they do. Whether he planned to murder his entire family or not is what I wonder. In some ways, these videos lead me to believe he did. He had his story and appears confident in telling it; they vanished. He has no inclination where they are, blah, blah. Did he come up with those things off the cuff or had he been thinking about what his story would be for some time? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers