Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flossy Said :"
I don't know enough about the man to diagnose him. It would be interesting to hear from his friends and coworkers and family members. It would be great to see the police interviews, too. They're always so revealing."

There is only one person I would like to have a one on one with and that would be his mother. Obviously for me the peanut issue reported here is very troublesome, her not attending one of the girls birthday parties was for me as well. They lived far away and I am going to guess they do not fly back and forth a lot to visit so what grandma wouldn't jump at every opportunity available to spend time with them.

The other indication for me that there were mommy issues was his demeanor during the interview especially the way he was holding himself and rocking back and forth. For me that is body language of a child who is in trouble and scared. Couple it with the impression I got that after he answers the various questions asked of him he looks directly into the eye of the reporter. That taken on it's own is not a big deal but the behavior he exhibited while answering questions (rocking and holding himself) just made me feel that was learned behavior from his childhood. Mom asking him about something, him being afraid he was going to get caught, rocking back and forth then looking directly at her after his spiel to measure her reaction to see if she was believing his story.

That he confessed when his family showed up and it is possible they got him to confess, makes me wonder if perhaps either his dad was his go between with his mom in the early years where he might be the one to soften the blow so to speak with his mom and CW trusted and respected him . Possibly he was afraid not to tell the truth because his mom was there and he felt she could always "see through him".

Just guesses based on a snippet of their lives. But it seems likely to me if the friend that SW confessed to about the MIL's actions /peanut situation is true, there is something not right going on with her. There is a long history of parental abuse especially in mom's when their son's end up becoming violent criminals. It could be she forgot the peanuts were out I guess but it doesn't seem typical action by a grandma who cares about the kids and is excited they are coming over to visit. Surely one of the things she would have done is check around to make sure there was not anything left out that especially the littlest one could get harmed by.

Last edited:
I think it would be to "wash off" the heavy sticky crude oil that might have spilled from the tank or gotten on his clothes. Or maybe a backup plan to burn the bodies (although that would certainly have attracted attention on an oil field).

ALSO - Anadanko had shut down 30 oil wells in the area after the fatal Firestone explosion from an undetected old buried oil line. Did he intentionally place the bodies in one of these wells that had been shut down? Again.... PREMEDITATION??

I hadn’t thought of the 30 oil wells that were shut down. Good post - as usual :)

They both knew it was a boy and they had named him Niko

No, you can't determine sex from a simple test like a urine pregnancy test

Wonder why they were having a gender reveal party then. My understanding is the point of gender reveal parties is to reveal the baby’s gender to the parents as well as the guests.

Since the arrest affidavit is under seal, and that tape is part of the investigation, I don't know when that tape might be made public. imo

Thanks Kathryn, the nightly news just said things would be released tomorrow or did I hear that wrong? The only reason I asked I saw something on the computer pertaining to the tape but when I clicked on it, it went to something else. I wonder if they will even release at this point in the investigation.

Wonder why they were having a gender reveal party then. My understanding is the point of gender reveal parties is to reveal the baby’s gender to the parents as well as the guests.
My nephew and his wife had a gender reveal party, and it was them revealing to family and friends that they were having a boy. I admit, though, that I'm old and it was the first time I ever heard of such a thing-so not an expert.

Here are some questions for those of you who are familiar with the legal aspect of homicide cases:

1) If a suspect confesses, does this mean the case tends to move more quickly through the legal system?

2) Is it correct that Tuesday's court meeting will include an announcement of the official charges and CW's plea?

3) How common is it for a suspect to confess but then plead innocent?

4) Do you think it is likely they will offer a plea deal to get him to plead guilty? If so, would this play out on Tuesday or later?

I am just trying to get an idea of what is usually typical when a confession is involved. Thanks!

When someone pleads "not guilty" it doesn't mean they didn't do the alleged acts. People also plead "not guilty" because they have a defense to the charges or they believe there's some element of the crime that the prosecution won't be able to prove. e.g., In a first degree murder case the defendant can try to claim they lacked the mens rea required--they lacked premeditation.

I assume a big part of CW's defense will be to try to knock the charges down to 2nd degree murder/manslaughter.

Prosecutors have until Monday to file charges or release--CW's being held without bond. After that, they have about 2 months to decide whether to seek the death penalty.

If they seek the death penalty, I believe a trial would be mandatory. I don't think a defendant can plead guilty with the punishment being death.

Tuesday will be CW's arraignment hearing. He'll be notified of the specific charges and enter a plea and then either get bond or a bond hearing scheduled. No plea deals happen at arraignment hearings.

I'd guess the prosecutors are going to take as much time to decide on the death penalty thing as they can. Until they decide on that, I doubt any plea bargaining happens.

LE doesn't stop investigating a case b/c someone confesses. They still have to build up all the forensic evidence they can and ancillary witnesses. Confessions get thrown out of court by judges all the time. Heck, could be years later and an appellate court could send the case back for a new trial sans confession.

Thanks Kathryn, the nightly news just said things would be released tomorrow or did I hear that wrong? The only reason I asked I saw something on the computer pertaining to the tape but when I clicked on it, it went to something else. I wonder if they will even release at this point in the investigation.
As another poster pointed out, it would be evidence in a trial so we may not see it before then. The news might have been referring to the arrest affidavit being unsealed after charges have been brought. That document could very well mention the tape, as well as other evidence the police used to prove probable cause. imo

It's entirely possible he hadn't seen the bills, etc. I handle the finances in our house. My husband has no idea how much is in the bank, how much out bills are or when they are due. Not because it's a secret but he just never asks. As long as he has money for his car parts, etc, he's a happy camper. He even jokea about how screwed he'd be if something happened to me and I was laid up for a bit. I get home from work before him so I could intercept any mail. With CW working outside the home, it is possible she hid things.

I handle all the bill paying at our house and all bills arrive online and are paid online. That said, my husband absolutely knows how much we have in the bank but we don't know if the couple had joint or separate bank accounts.

Apologies if this has been posted, but there are a few details here that are new to me. Chris Watts' slain family: Wife suspected infidelity

Around 5:15 a.m. Monday: Chris Watts leaves the family home. He told authorities he went to work. Their next-door neighbor, BM, was leaving for the gym at 5:15, which she does at that time every weekday, and she noticed Watts’ truck was idling in his driveway, she told the Longmont Times-Call. She said she hadn’t before seen him leaving home that early.

FR told the TV station Denver7 that he was told the truck was backed into the garage.

(Also, this is the 3rd article I've seen today that says all three bodies were found on Thursday.)

Thursday morning: A body believed to be that of Shanann Watts is found on property belonging to Anadarko.

Thursday, late afternoon: Two bodies believed to be those of the couple’s daughters are found near where the woman’s body had been. They were inside petroleum tanks “that were mostly full,” Denver7 reported. The TV station’s sources suggested the hiding place had been chosen to disguise the smell of decomposition.
Frankie Rzucek told the TV station Denver7 that he was told the truck was backed into the garage.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This is all conjecture based on a few bits of financial information made public.

He was usually at work during the time mail would be delivered and as a stay at home mom with a MLM business, she would usually be in the position to get the bills in the mail, and to handle the finances.

1.The HOA lawsuit had a court date scheduled this week. These notices don't come out of the blue. There are demand letters one after another. In the 6 weeks she was away, he would now be in a position to get all the mail and that includes all the bills and demand letters. This court date is a huge stress. Like the bankruptcy all over again.

2. Her MLM business was seeming do to do OK, but she might very well have been supporting it by buying her own products, putting them further in debt. He would see the credit card statements (unless they were email only) and any other bills or issues that she might not have shared with him. She only returned Aug 2, so all this might have been new to him.

3. Their finances seem shaky. A big 5 bedroom house and mortgage, a new kid on the way with attendant medical bills, the oldest child heading to kindergarden this year.... all sorts of expenses coming up and her income declining as a result of attending to a new baby, as well as the other two...... dangerous financial times ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS, THIS, THIS

Despite the SM Happy Talk going on, there was indeed, something "volatile" going on at home w CW and it was enough to have a very worried friend checking on her welfare. There will be a trail of texts and maybe even voicemails to document the state of the relationship. I am firmly convinced the potential for DV was there and SW had shared it with N.

This and his computer searches may make his defense's attempts to deflect blame onto SW all a moot point. I sure hope so.

You know I didn't even think about that DUH! You are exactly right! If Nicole was a close friend she more then likely did have various texts or emails with SW that would have been saved. I can't believe how stupid I was to not think of that because I did the same thing with my friend. It was emails I had where she clearly pointed out concerns with her ex and she jokingly said remember this in case I go missing. I actually feared she would especially when I learned he had purchased a boat and had been trying to get her to go out for a trip out on the ocean with her young son. There was a restraining order in place and I had discussed with her NOT to break it by voluntarily meeting him some place or letting him into her home. A grandparent used to bring the minor child to him for visitation rights and he collected the child and returned him when visitation ended to comply with the order and to ensure there was no further chance for him to explode on her.

If parents know then its for the guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orions