Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I mistaken that the company that monitors his ankle jewelry notified the court the day after his release that his living near Puma Path makes tracking him unreliable?

If so, shouldn't he be waiting in the county jail until the Oct. 13 hearing per your understanding?

TIA

He would be where I live, but even in CA it varies. SF County would be very very slow to act. San Bernardino County might never have let Barry out in the first place.

I always watch trial judges closely, it's interesting how much variance there is, under the law, all in search of "justice."

If more glitches occur, if the Judge doesn't catch on to the game Barry is playing, it'll be interesting to see what the community does with him. I assume he's elected.

Am I mistaken that the company that monitors his ankle jewelry notified the court the day after his release that his living near Puma Path makes tracking him unreliable?

If so, shouldn't he be waiting in the county jail until the Oct. 13 hearing per your understanding?

TIA
I think that would make many feel much better.

I did notice in the AA for SD and the trespassing on Pump Path house, it was stated the sheriff did a check of the house just before the time SD went to get the package. I can't recall the exact time, but it was that same day after the delivery and before she went to get it. Maybe they have increased patrols on Pump Path since he was staying there and they know the monitoring of the ankle monitor is not reliable.

BBM - I don't think I do.

Kid glove treatment? Yes, but why?

Ankle monitor reported to court as not working the day after he is released but he is still on walkabout? Why?

Living nearby Puma Path with impunity? Why?

Trespassing & package theft at scene of crime within two weeks of release but no immediate court action? Why?

Court date still a week away? Why?

Docs filed with the court but not docketed? Why?

The judge can answer all of these why's. I'd like to see him do it on his own initiative or be forced by the prosecution to explain the slow response to BM's infractions (real or perceived).

Where are you DA Stanley?

MOO

ETA: Having him live with SD & her obvious carelessness with regard to obeying the law is absurd. Better not happen! JMO

Sorry not to have replied more specifically. I used "most" for a reason.

And I cannot make out what you mean in response. It's okay to disagree, but I'm not understanding your questions. At least within ToS.

Welp when the FBI and various local and state law enforcement agencies work together for a year and testify in court that they believe they have evidence that shows that my neighbor murdered his wife, that might be enough for me. Especially if he was the guy that asked me to report her missing. I would want him in jail, certainly not next door to me with his new-ish girlfriend that appears to be known to LE.

If it were me, I'd have one question.

If he was capable of killing the the woman he vowed to love and protect, what are my odds?

I'd most certainly want him in jail or, as far away from me and my family, as humanly possible.

jmo

I just want to know why the documents aren’t being uploaded to the free to the public CoCourts site.
I have no doubt that MK is acquiring them legally and they aren’t under seal. He must be paying to access them through Pacer or something similar?
Never seen this in the other Colorado cases I’ve followed.
@MassGuy and @Seattle1 , your thoughts?
Yeah, he's probably getting them through Colorado's version of pacer (cocourts.com?). For most cases in Colorado, that would be the only way to see the court documents other than requesting them from the court yourself. We're only seeing any of the documents being posted publicly for free because the court has decided that it's a 'Case of Interest' and is voluntarily posting them. But there seems to be a big variance by county over what documents get posted for cases of interest. Chaffee County is only posting the initial complaint and AA and the judge's orders. No motions from either side have been posted.

Some counties seem to post the motions + the judge's orders. Others post nothing at all except webex links for some hearings. For example, here's the entire public docket for a case of interest in another district: Colorado Judicial Branch That case is currently at trial, so there are certainly many motions and orders. But none are posted.

Ain't Technology Grand?
@katydid23 Thanks for tracking down the tracker device info re BM. Sounds terrific, all the bells & whistles, but even as someone w zero experience & knowledge about these, I wonder how effective this will be. Now I'm just jumping off re a few possible issues.

Battery Life?*
"50 hrs." Every two days. 8 mo til trial x 30 days ea. = 240 days, ~ 80 battery changes (or more?)
Who changes bat, & where?
Does BM report to ChafCo LE every two days?
Does ChafCo LE find him & change bat?
Does BM report to Intervention co. ofc for bat change?
Will BM see that getting real old, real fast? Well, there is a remedy for his (hypo) non-compliance: Back to jail. ;)Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect $200.;):rolleyes:

Nearly instantaneous notice of removal of device?
Notice to InterTech? If so, then what? Does a company employee then notify CCSO? If so, how? How often do we read about gaps at that stage, whether human error or technology glitches?

And leading to the giant wheel of Swiss cheese---
Sparse, spotty, sporadic cell & LBS, GPS coverage (<--- sorry for my deficient terminology) at/near BM's home? It may be the best tech now available for the area, but does this cheese have too many holes for a M-1 def? For 8 mo?

Those points ^ just from skimming website for 60 sec. my2ct.

Here is what kind of GPS he will have. It looks more high tech than the ones I've seen in Cali.
https://www.int-cjs.org/technology
SCRAM GPS® is a one-piece GPS tracking bracelet that combines superior location accuracy with industry-leading battery life, tamper detection, and case management/tracking software.
  • On-demand Pursuit Mode automatically provides GPS points every 15 seconds to aid in
    client apprehension
  • Customizable alert notices
  • Track and communicate with participants 24/7
  • Reliable GPS and A-GPS location technology
• 30-second, tool-free installation
• 3G cellular network
• Slim one-piece design and breakaway charger
• Secondary location tracking via cell tower triangulation and location-based services (LBS)
• Shock resistant and waterproof • RF base station
• On-board zone storage
• No intermittent strap disruptions—alerts are genuine • No system-imposed grace periods to manage false alerts
• Notification of removal is nearly instantaneous

Last edited:
I'm going through the AA with a fine tooth comb and there are a lot of things we never really talked about because the couldn't get to it in the PH.
There is this one little section and it's incredibly damning.

BBM, he closed the foundation in her name after she had been "missing" for only sixteen days. BTW, on the paperwork, it was all his foundation, he just used her name.
This happened right after he sold her vehicle. So this stunt was number two on a long list of items that mean nothing by themselves; strung together they paint a grim picture.

@katydid23 Thanks for tracking down the tracker info re BM. Sounds terrific, all the bells & whistles, but even as someone w zero experience & knowledge about these, I wonder how effective this will be. Now I'm just jumping off re a few possible issues.

Battery Life?*
"50 hrs." Every two days. 8 mo til trial x 30 days ea. = 240 days, ~ 80 battery changes (or more?)
Who changes bat, & where?
Does BM report to ChafCo LE every two days?
Does ChafCo LE find him & change bat?
Does BM report to Intervention co. ofc for bat change?
Will BM see that getting real old, real fast? Well, there is a remedy for his (hypo) non-compliance: Back to jail. ;)Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect $200.;):rolleyes:

Nearly instantaneous notice of removal of device?
Notice to InterTech? If so, then what? Does a company employee then notify CCSO? If so, how? How often. to we read about gaps at that stage, whether human error or technology glitches?

And leading to the giant wheel of Swiss cheese---
Sparse, spotty, sporadic cell & LBS, GPS coverage (<--- sorry for my deficient terminology) at/near BM's home? It may be the best tech now available for the area, but does this cheese have too many holes for a M-1 def? For 8 mo?

Those points ^ just from skimming website for 60 sec. my2ct.
Sounds like that device could benefit from solar power! I mean, 50 hrs battery life is absurd. Not that I think BM's life should be without hassles.

The burden on the ankle monitor provider, court & LE seems odd. Surely this is not standard for ankle monitors?

You don't have to take it off to escape detection just miss a battery charge? What am I missing here?

MOO

According to LS's live last night - the DA is asking Barry to move out of the PP neighborhood.

TIA

that seems to be reported several places.

One would think he’d be back in jail. But he is not.

"Kid glove treatment?" Just because he's out $500,000 cash bond, unable to leave Chaffee except to see his lawyers? Unable to do the things he loves to do? Gimme a break - or give me details of what comprises "kid glove treatment." Remember - the judge must set bond if he thinks the evidence at the hearing leaves room for a jury to have reasonable doubt. We know that prosecutors didn't close all the holes they could have.

The court can't order bond revoked without evidence that the conditions were breached, and the DA and Sheriff are responsible for gathering that evidence and presenting it to court. The bond revocation process then involves a hearing, at which BM has a right to present evidence and argument of his own. I have no doubt the trespass is being investigated with this possibility in mind, among others. But that's not for the court to do on its own, instantly because ignorant people (including some with ulterior motives) say he should.

Court dates are scheduled with the calendars of the participants in mind, among other considerations. The judge doesn't just order everyone to be there or be square.

This isn't the only case on the docket, and hearings require advance work - investigation, research, witness preparation, and all the other things we know about.

Not all documents qualify for public access, and all documents must be evaluated before they are docketed. You won't see the defense motion to suppress evidence before the court rules on it, and you won't see what evidence was suppressed. What good is a suppression order if the suppressed evidence is already disclosed?

On what grounds would the court prohibit BM from renting a place near Puma Path, and with what evidence? WS speculation?

BM is a relatively rich guy, who has choices others accused of serious crimes may not. He has family who love and support him, and he's different from other defendants in that way, too. But all that doesn't mean the court or LE is treating him with kid gloves, or that the Cushions are, either.

LE is clearly alert to any possibility he may be violating the terms of his bond, and willing to ask for changes that are warranted by the facts. They have already requested that the judge revise the terms of BM's bond, and they will have an opportunity to present their arguments in a hearing. Then, but not before, the judge will own what he decides.

Living

the actual reason appears to be witnesses who live nearby. They have standing to at least request he live elsewhere.

Barry has an entire county to roam, seemingly without the necessary tracking.I like a good old fashioned house arrest.
An individual in a case l0cal to me stopped paying the fees for his ankle monitor. That’s a violation of bond. When they went to cite him, there was a rifle at his premises. Violation #2. He went back to jail until trial. I could absolutely see this happening to Barry. Did anyone see how much Barry has to pay for the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025