Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

Tricia has advised us that the last post that was saved was from last night around 9:35 pm. Unfortunately with the new server integrating with the old one a few posts were lost in the process.

On the bright side, we have a shiny new server that is zipping right along.

Some posts discussing missing posts have been removed as off topic.

Our apologies to any members whose posts were lost. We are very sorry this happened and want to thank everyone for their understanding.

Sillybilly
WS Admin

Sounds like that device could benefit from solar power! I mean, 50 hrs battery life is absurd. Not that I think BM's life should be without hassles.

The burden on the ankle monitor provider, court & LE seems odd. Surely this is not standard for ankle monitors?

You don't have to take it off to escape detection just miss a battery charge? What am I missing here?

MOO
The person with the device has to charge the battery each day. I have never had one strapped to my ankle but I would guess people would charge them at night. Burden is on the person with the device to comply. It also isn’t cheap to have to wear one. The person could end up paying multiple hundreds of dollars each month and the person pays for the initial installation.

It was announced in Court ( about the R’s) when the Judge set his Bond amount. Idk if the DA asked for it because they are all witnesses or if the individuals filed something.
jmo

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1438988169245040641?s=21
No Contact: Moorman family, Brad Oswald, Holly Wilson, Sheila Oliver, Cassidy Cordova, Morgan Gentile, Gene and Martine Ritter (Protection orders)

I see the Ritter's names are Gene as in male and Martine as in female. Is it just a mistake that some refer to her as Jean Ritter when that actually isn’t her name?

I see the Ritter's names are Gene as in male and Martine as in female. Is it just a mistake that some refer to her as Jean Ritter when that actually isn’t her name?

Wondering about this myself. I believe it was the male who went to the house, and everyone has mis-assumed it was the wife, because of the sound of the name, vs the spelling.

If I had to guess, the wife was originally contacted but the husband went over.

JMO

The Ritters are identified on p. 3 of the arrest affidavit as Jeanne (wife) & Martin (husband). I don't know why their names would be incorrect in the protection order (if indeed they are).
View attachment 316146
Yes your info on the names is correct. Were they added to the protection order during court proceedings? I could understand the names being misspelled in the transcript of that session. Has anyone actually seen the order of protection?

Ok. But when he has absconded to a sunny beach south of the border with his lover, the slow turning wheels of justice that got him outside will be hard pressed to get him inside again.

No matter how much outrage is spewed about how others don't understand the law, such an outcome may just finely pinpoint the failures of the legal process.

With the result being, delayed or no justice for Suzanne.

The day any court receives notice that a man on bond for 1st degree murder may not be traceable is the day an emergency hearing should start.

Can anyone really disagree with that?
JMO
Unfortunately, your expectations of the justice system conflict with reality IMO. It doesn't move quickly, and that can be both a blessing and a curse. There is probably no date where everyone can appear in court before October 13, but IMO the issue will certainly be addressed at that time.

The court has been advised of the monitoring problem and the company has asked for further guidance. Linda Stanley has filed a motion with the court, requesting BM be prohibited from living in or around Maysville. BM's counsel will want to present the court with a negotiated solution rather than face the possibility the judge will revoke the bond or, more likely, restrict BM to a residence that can be monitored. I suspect the parties are in touch about the issue and that BM will be moving back to Salida/Poncha Springs despite his feelings about being a pariah there.

I wonder if the investigation into the DS trespassing will produce evidence that BM conspired in it, before the 13th. If so, that would be a more significant problem for BM's "freedom" on bond than the monitoring situation, which can be addressed by a change in the bond conditions.

No one can rule out the possibility that BM will abscond, and if he does, that will delay the day of his conviction.

But I think that's unlikely because the likelihood of success (escape to Costa Rica) is very low, and the consequences (serious new criminal charges including a federal charge, compelling new evidence that he killed his wife, loss of his bond, etc.) are very severe. BM's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but his attorneys are, and they have no doubt advised him in the strongest terms not to go astray. The court could reasonably infer that there is little risk that BM will fail to appear on the 13th.

The hearing should be interesting for many reasons. I assume it will be covered by news but not accessible through WebEx.

Tracker/Monitor Device?
Sounds like that device could benefit from solar power! I mean, 50 hrs battery life is absurd. Not that I think BM's life should be without hassles.
The burden on the ankle monitor provider, court & LE seems odd. Surely this is not standard for ankle monitors?
You don't have to take it off to escape detection just miss a battery charge? What am I missing here?
MOO
@IRBTX Thx for your response, raising a good point.
Co. website said "battery life" is 50 hours.
Does that mean battery charge lasts 50 + hrs?
Or does device need new battery every 50 +hours?
Or something else?

Also, even w solar charging of bat, don't we have the same conundrum your post notes? Wearer stashes device in closet or dresser drawer :eek:= no bat charge.

Apologizing for any tech-ignorant comments I've made. Gotta think the monitor device manuf's & service co's have given this waaay more thought than I have. my2ct.

Regarding Carloss:

EBEL, Circuit Judge.

In this direct criminal appeal, Defendant–Appellant Ralph Carloss contends that two police officers violated the Fourth Amendment by knocking on his front door, seeking to speak with him. Ordinarily a police officer, like any citizen, has an implied license to approach a home, knock on the front door, and ask to speak with the occupants.

Shoshona had an implied license to approach the Puma Path home. And it's not stealing if she took a package that belonged to her. Approaching a home is not illegal regardless of the no trespassing signs.
Does the package belong to girlfriend or BM? If the package belongs to girlfriend, she purposefully used the Puma address.

Unfortunately, your expectations of the justice system conflict with reality IMO. It doesn't move quickly, and that can be both a blessing and a curse. There is probably no date where everyone can appear in court before October 13, but IMO the issue will certainly be addressed at that time.

The court has been advised of the monitoring problem and the company has asked for further guidance. Linda Stanley has filed a motion with the court, requesting BM be prohibited from living in or around Maysville. BM's counsel will want to present the court with a negotiated solution rather than face the possibility the judge will revoke the bond or, more likely, restrict BM to a residence that can be monitored. I suspect the parties are in touch about the issue and that BM will be moving back to Salida/Poncha Springs despite his feelings about being a pariah there.

I wonder if the investigation into the DS trespassing will produce evidence that BM conspired in it, before the 13th. If so, that would be a more significant problem for BM's "freedom" on bond than the monitoring situation, which can be addressed by a change in the bond conditions.

No one can rule out the possibility that BM will abscond, and if he does, that will delay the day of his conviction.

But I think that's unlikely because the likelihood of success (escape to Costa Rica) is very low, and the consequences (serious new criminal charges including a federal charge, compelling new evidence that he killed his wife, loss of his bond, etc.) are very severe. BM's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but his attorneys are, and they have no doubt advised him in the strongest terms not to go astray. The court could reasonably infer that there is little risk that BM will fail to appear on the 13th.

The hearing should be interesting for many reasons. I assume it will be covered by news but not accessible through WebEx.
Once again, ok. But didn't BM's family provide him with "survivalist" type books while he was incarcerated? That was in @NoSI's court notes.

My expectations may be unrealistic but letting BM free with only an ankle monitor and verbal admonishments by his counsel to keep him in line seems absurdly unrealistic to me.

I've said before justice delayed can be justice denied. If BM runs and has to be extradited to be tried (assuming he can be found), I hope your confidence in the legal decisions to this point are justified.

Naive people may have serious faults but they might still draw correct conclusions. I think my points can stand on their own without constant correction. Most of the bright people here can roll their eyes at my naivete and scroll on. But for some reason that is impossible for some.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going through the AA with a fine tooth comb and there are a lot of things we never really talked about because the couldn't get to it in the PH.
There is this one little section and it's incredibly damning.

BBM, he closed the foundation in her name after she had been "missing" for only sixteen days. BTW, on the paperwork, it was all his foundation, he just used her name.

This bothers me too but I am unable to determine why it’s noted on page 42 AA. What is the DA trying to tell us? My questions:

1) Is this the same money listed in prior 990EZ filings for “The Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc?” 2015 for 4680. 2016 for 5680. 2017 for 6680. 2018 for 6680. 2019 for 6680.

But this doesn’t make sense as the Dec 2019 990EZ was filed 4/23/2021 showing 6680. The pdf doesn’t show “final return / terminated” checked.

Of course my internet searches could have wrong info.

2) Where did the Mar 5 2020 $5880 come from?
If this is Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc money, where was it before? And why doesn’t 5880 match 6680?

3) Page 42 calls it the “Suzanne Morphew Foundation” account. Is this a different vehicle than the “Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc” 501c3?

4) Is this money linked to the BM and SM “March 2020” spy pen argument as described on page 29 AA?

It’s such a small amount of money so my impression has always been the Mar 2020 argument was about Suzanne’s ~450k inheritance which she poured into marital property PP.

Probably just me but I’ve wondered if the file folder burned was an informal acknowledgment BM owed SM the inheritance $ back, maybe without a notary signature?

5) So why did the DA think the Collegiate Peaks Bank info was of significance to include in the AA?

Update on court site:

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
10/13/21-Murder
3:30 PM 1Hr VIRTUAL MORPHEW, BARRY Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

11/9/21-Voter Fraud
1:30 PM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

11/9/21-Murder
1:30 PM 2Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

Once again, ok. But didn't BM's family provide him with "survivalist" type books while he was incarcerated? That was in @NoSI's court notes.

My expectations may be unrealistic but letting BM free with only an ankle monitor and verbal admonishments by his counsel to keep him in line seems absurdly unrealistic to me.

I've said before justice delayed can be justice denied. If BM runs and has to be extradited to be tried (assuming he can be found), I hope your confidence in the legal decisions to this point are justified.

Naive people may have serious faults but they might still draw correct conclusions. I think my points can stand on their own without constant correction. Most of the bright people here can roll their eyes at my naivete and scroll on. But for some reason that is impossible for some.

MOO
The definition of "naive" in this context is: "(of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment. e.g., ‘The rather naive young man had been totally misled.’"

So, to me the likelihood that a naive person will reach correct conclusions is very small. Moreover, people who profess ignorance of the legal system, and whose baseless criticism of it persists in the face of informed posts to the contrary, should be corrected by those whose opinions are informed if the forum's discussion is to lead to a better understanding of what's happening in this case.

"Justice delayed is justice denied" is a truism: a statement that is obviously true and says nothing new or interesting like, "You get what you pay for."

Judges, courts and legislators are quite aware of the issue, and strive to design and administer an efficient system that moves cases forward. But they are constrained by Constitutional guarantees of fairness to the accused, and an awareness that a system that isn't fair to the accused will neither find the truth nor provide real justice. But for those guarantees and that awareness - so insignificant to too many Americans - we could have fast justice. Like in the postwar South and the Wild West, or Nazi Germany. So, be careful what you wish for.

I will continue to point this out when I feel we're getting off the path of seeking justice, whether or not people roll their eyes and scroll on. All MOO, of course.

Barry has an entire county to roam, seemingly without the necessary tracking.I like a good old fashioned house arrest.
An individual in a case l0cal to me stopped paying the fees for his ankle monitor. That’s a violation of bond. When they went to cite him, there was a rifle at his premises. Violation #2. He went back to jail until trial. I could absolutely see this happening to Barry. Did anyone see how much Barry has to pay for the monitor?

House arrest these days is generally handled by ankle monitoring devices. And yes they need to be charged...by connecting to an electrical outlet. I assume most parolees with them do it while they sleep. I personally doubt Barry is violating his bond. He doesn't want to go back to jail and sit for months on end and he doesn't strike me as the type who will willingly walk away from $500,000.

They must not use these devices in Chaffee county much or it seems like the legal system would have understood the limitations, No one has said it yet, but I was alittle surprised the DA's office couldn't find a different way to handle this without publicly acknowledging the flaws in GPS tracking capability that is cell service based. Seems like it could have been handled differently between the lawyers and not got media attention but maybe not...the legal system and procedures are pretty rigid.

My view is based on much more. We can agree to disagree. I am not talking about "documents."

I don't know where you live (and am not asking) but I see what I see. I see a judge who is lenient.

I am astonished that you think "LE is clearly alert." Can you give me some idea why you would think that? I can only say that LE I know would say, "We wish."

They can barely do the ongoing police work - and it's true in CO, IMO. In most places. It would be only the most elite, rich taxpaying entity that was "clearly" alert right now. IMO. The reason Barry is out on ankle monitor is for precisely this reason. IMO. No money for anything more than an ankle monitor. I feel as if you're saying they have no reason to hold him, for First Degree, under CO statute, when in fact this judge already chose a non-normative judicial path by allowing Barry out, at all.

Barry needs to keep his nose clean. There are actual. neighbors who view things in their own way. Judges are to take note of that in situations where an alleged murderer is out and about. The idea is that the alleged murderer would try and obey all local laws and the terms of his release.

If they can't get a radio signal from his monitor, he has to go back to jail until they can do another hearing. Long legal precedent.
I agree with your general view that nearly all law enforcement agencies could be more effective with more resources. I also agree that if monitoring is essential to achieve the purposes of bond (it is!) BM will have to go back to jail or have conditions of his bond modified (more restrictive as to place) so he can be monitored.

But that does nothing to address my point. In this specific case, a small agency in a small community has invested relatively significant resources vigorously investigating and prosecuting this case. They fought release on bond, and they are already seeking to modify the conditions.

I see it as significant that SD was arrested and charged with a felony in a case many here have described as weak, and which would very likely have been ignored or diverted outside the system if SD was not viewed as a BM confederate. I have no doubt this serious charge resulted in the issuance of subpoenas and/or warrants to determine whether the package she took was hers, and if not whose, and why the true addressee did not retrieve it himself. Also, whether the evidence indicates BM violated the conditions of his bond.

You say you are "astonished" which sounds pretty extreme! Maybe "on alert" is the wrong choice of words. Perhaps "aggressive" would be better. But if your view is that CCSO and the DA's office are less than vigilant and diligent in pursuing this case and holding BM to the terms of his bond, I respectfully disagree.

Update on court site:

10/13/21-Murder

11/9/21-Voter Fraud
1:30 PM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Status Conference D82021CR85 Chaffee County Division 2

11/9/21-Murder
1:30 PM 2Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY Motions Hearing D82021CR78 Chaffee County Division 2

So..how does this work..while BM is waiting for his murder trial?
Will the voter fraud court case happen before his murder trial?

11/9/21-Voter Fraud
1:30 PM 1Hr IN PERSON MORPHEW, BARRY

He would be where I live, but even in CA it varies. SF County would be very very slow to act. San Bernardino County might never have let Barry out in the first place.

I always watch trial judges closely, it's interesting how much variance there is, under the law, all in search of "justice."

If more glitches occur, if the Judge doesn't catch on to the game Barry is playing, it'll be interesting to see what the community does with him. I assume he's elected.
In Colorado, the law reflects an understanding that judges must follow the law and that the resulting decisions may not be popular. They are appointed by the governor after an extensive vetting process, then the community gets a vote every six years as to whether they should be retained. It is not a contested election in the sense that there will be a candidate running against Judge Murphy with the slogan, "Nobody charged with murder will get bail in my court!"

Murphy's initial retention election was in 2016. After 2 years in office he received over 65% of the vote. He will be up for retention again in November, 2022. An agency of the Supreme Court will gather input from the community he serves and make a recommendation as to his retention.

In 2016, fifty-eight district court judges, 36 county court judges, and three juvenile court judges were up for retention election. Two received "do not retain" recommendations from the Colorado Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation, and one of those was not retained. This seems to be a typical judicial election cycle in Colorado. The system is designed in a way that seems successfully to prevent a single issue from resulting in a judge's removal. Which is wise, IMO.

Of course, a vote to remove in the face of a recommendation to retain could happen, but it seems unlikely.

Comparing California with Colorado may be an apples/oranges thing.

Colorado's recent abolishment of capital punishment raised a legal question whether the Constitutional restriction on bond for "capital" cases is still enforceable. This is unique to Colorado AFIK.

IMO, BM's addition of a prominent Colorado appellate lawyer to his defense team was a sign that he expected the court to deny bond and was preparing to argue this issue in a petition for Supreme Court review. Judge Murphy pulled the rug out from under that plan by granting bond. That wasn't the basis for Murphy's ruling, but the question he avoided will certainly be raised by every future defendant charged with First Degree Murder, who is denied bail. It's anyone's guess how the Colorado Supreme Court will rule.

My point is, we could have found ourselves with BM released under a new Colorado precedent, holding that all defendants are entitled to bond. Or worse, a Supreme Court ruling reversing the trial court's ruling that bail is denied because even in this no-body case, "proof is evident or. the presumption is great."

I don't like bond for people charged with an offense that could put them in prison for life. But judges have to base their rulings on the law as it is, not as I would wish it to be. MOO.

Last edited:
Update on court site:

10/13/21-Murder

11/9/21-Voter Fraud

11/9/21-Murder

He has a hearing on the 13th of Oct for murder charge. Why another on November 9?

What is the 4000K for GD??
on page 112of the AA

Barry was asked where the $30,000 from the page for Suzanne went and whether it was used to pay for the Longhorn Ranch property. Barry said, "I don't recall where money went, but like I said, if it, there, a lot of that money, I paid George $4000 cause he, s-, stopped working. I paid a lot of things out of that money, but I don't recall a lot of what it was."

On another topic...19057 Puma Path didn't just disappear itself off Google maps back in September of 2020. That had to be at the request of Barry, and I'm sure he paid some bucks. It was before the house was listed.

At the time @swedeheart posted
"any google map experts know if this is something that any rando can do, or would it have to be the person who (previously) lived there? and for what financial/legal reasons did BM do that?"

Obviously he wanted the house off limits to the public, but it was Ok for Barry to send SD to that address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members