Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we even know if he completed his studies and earned a degree? There is a two year study for horticulture/landscaping and management at Purdue, never mind if he finished/earned a certificate or an associates degree or not.
eta again: please correct me if I'm mistaken.
IMO
Actually, this topic came up several threads ago.
BM isn’t located in Purdue graduate yearbooks on search I conducted starting in the late eighties through 1994.
BM may have attended and not graduated. I’ve read and heard statements that BM “went to Purdue”, doesn’t mean he graduated and earned a degree. Lots of people say I went to so and so college/university implying that they earned a degree when in actuality, they attended for a period of time but didn’t ever graduate/earn their degree. I’ve seen this in both my professional business life (people trying to “pad” their resume), and in personal life i.e., my DH has a family member that is a braggadocio narcissist who granted, has done well in business (giving credit where credit is due). This individual says that he went to college at a specific university trying to give the impression he’s well educated/has a degree etc., when in fact the real story is that he only went to college for 2.5 years, dropped out and never earned a degree. Only close family members are aware of this fact and hesitant to call him out in conversation to avoid being on the receiving end of his narcissistic wrath, and anyone that we’ve been around him in conversation that doesn’t know him very well ever questions it, because this individual is intelligent and has done well in business, like a lot of narcissists that excel and succeed in the business world irregardless of level of secondary/post secondary education.

All that to say, IMO BM may have attended Purdue but *may* not have graduated/earned a degree. *IF* he in fact did graduate, I find it strange that his name isn’t able to be located in the Purdue graduate yearbooks. I searched yearbooks starting year 1986 through 1994.

Suzanne’s name/picture listing her degree in Education comes up in the 1994 Purdue graduate search.

https://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/digital/collection/debris/id/63803/rec/1

All of the above IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Barry certainly perpetuated the idea he was a workaholic, but in truth, based on my own assessment, I think Barry worked hard to make it look like he was a hard worker.

I'll bet Barry was away from home "for work" A LOT. With a lot of "work" time spent checking his trail cams, setting trail cams, checking his deer, "checking his deer"... that Mother's day alone, when he was supposed to gather MG at 5 pm to head to Broomfield to repair a wall, Barry led everyone to believe he was up in Denver working.

11 minutes' worth.

I call that working hardly.

But that's JMO

BM isn’t located in Purdue graduate yearbooks on search I conducted starting in the late eighties through 1994.
BM may have attended and not graduated. I’ve read and heard statements that BM “went to Purdue”, doesn’t mean he graduated and earned a degree. Lots of people say I went to so and so college/university implying that they earned a degree when in actuality, they attended for a period of time but didn’t ever graduate/earn their degree. I’ve seen this in both my professional business life (people trying to “pad” their resume), and in personal life i.e., my DH has a family member that is a braggadocio narcissist who granted, has done well in business (giving credit where credit is due). This individual says that he went to college at a specific university trying to give the impression he’s well educated/has a degree etc., when in fact the real story is that he only went to college for 2.5 years, dropped out and never earned a degree. Only close family members are aware of this fact and hesitant to call him out in conversation to avoid being on the receiving end of his narcissistic wrath, and anyone that we’ve been around him in conversation that doesn’t know him very well ever questions it, because this individual is intelligent and has done well in business, like a lot of narcissists that excel and succeed in the business world irregardless of level of secondary/post secondary education.

All that to say, IMO BM may have attended Purdue but *may* not have graduated/earned a degree. *IF* he in fact did graduate, I find it strange that his name isn’t able to be located in the Purdue graduate yearbooks. I searched yearbooks starting year 1986 through 1994.

Suzanne’s name/picture listing her degree in Education comes up in the 1994 Purdue graduate search.

All of the above IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
Much thanks, @fcavenaugh. Pretty much what I'd figured.
Suzanne's photo is so sweet and so sad at the same time. Such a lovely young lady with a promising future. :(

All of the above IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Interesting. This does not surprise me at all.

Barry certainly perpetuated the idea he was a workaholic, but in truth, based on my own assessment, I think Barry worked hard to make it look like he was a hard worker.

I'll bet Barry was away from home "for work" A LOT. With a lot of "work" time spent checking his trail cams, setting trail cams, checking his deer, "checking his deer"... that Mother's day alone, when he was supposed to gather MG at 5 pm to head to Broomfield to repair a wall, Barry led everyone to believe he was up in Denver working.

11 minutes' worth.

I call that working hardly.

But that's JMO

Be interesting to know what various clients thought of his work.

Be interesting to know what various clients thought of his work.

Which businesses? He had several businesses. You can google and see the few reviews that exist for the landscaping business. That business was called BLM Landscaping I believe. I doubt much from his far past will be used at trial. I think they have quite enough to show that the marriage was failed/failing. Plus in the US character testimony is quite limited and only allowed under certain circumstances that relate directly to the charge. In general character evidence can't be used in court in the US in criminal cases to show that the person acted in conformity with a particular character trait. Defendants have more leniency to introduce character testimony on their behalf. It's fun to speculate about but at this point the trial is a little over 4 months away and fast approaching.

He needed be in Broomfield when the morning bike ride took place. You know...cameras documenting his whereabouts etc.
But... her habit, according to my memory of the daughter's boyfriend's interview, was to ride in the afternoons. BM invented the morning bike ride!

I suppose he oriented it around when he thought the girls would arrive home from their trip and "discover" their mom missing.

But... her habit, according to my memory of the daughter's boyfriend's interview, was to ride in the afternoons. BM invented the morning bike ride!

I suppose he oriented it around when he thought the girls would arrive home from their trip and "discover" their mom missing.
Was being sarcastic about the invisible morning bike ride.

Which businesses? He had several businesses. You can google and see the few reviews that exist for the landscaping business. That business was called BLM Landscaping I believe. I doubt much from his far past will be used at trial. I think they have quite enough to show that the marriage was failed/failing. Plus in the US character testimony is quite limited and only allowed under certain circumstances that relate directly to the charge. In general character evidence can't be used in court in the US in criminal cases to show that the person acted in conformity with a particular character trait. Defendants have more leniency to introduce character testimony on their behalf. It's fun to speculate about but at this point the trial is a little over 4 months away and fast approaching.
Didn't he lose his mind on one of his job sites in IN? He pleaded no contest or something equivalent, iirc, and I even think he's the one who brought suit against the man who was running for political office. Feels like eons ago we learned of this, which I'm sure (going by what I believe is his nature) isn't an isolated incidence.
Unless the defense is planning on (and why not? Maybe it was the postman?) causing doubt in the minds of the jury, they sure brought Suzanne's character into question droning on about her affair. The same man who has a 'concrete' alibi.
His temperament is definitely in question along with his motives so I think it's fair to say that his character or, I should say, lack thereof will factor in his demise especially being how this is foremost a circumstantial evidence case - that we know of at this point.

Oh i meant interesting to me - of course you can't lead that kind of evidence at trial.

I tend not to believe BM became an abusive liar only in the last years. My guess is he was always a piece of work and perhaps a seasoned con artist

Be interesting to know what part of their affluence came from him, and how much was her very inheritances etc. IIRC there is a suggestion in the AA that he was inappropriately taking money out of the business for example

Something has been puzzling me

Do you have a view why he left so early on Sunday morning? Obviously he was up all night, but why not leave for the job at a more believable time?

There is some sensitivity there IMO - or he was being irrational, thinking it was best for him to be gone before SM "wakes up"
I think it was as you suggest---better for him to be gone before she woke up. So he can claim he knew nothing about her day---she was fast asleep, safe and sound when he left for his job as her provider.

That in itself was actually a smart decision. And if he had gone straight to his hotel to prepare for the big 'work day' it would have been a decent plan.

Oh i meant interesting to me - of course you can't lead that kind of evidence at trial.

I tend not to believe BM became an abusive liar only in the last years. My guess is he was always a piece of work and perhaps a seasoned con artist

Be interesting to know what part of their affluence came from him, and how much was her very inheritances etc. IIRC there is a suggestion in the AA that he was inappropriately taking money out of the business for example
The only inheritances we know about are the one's from SM's mom and SM's dad. We have not heard if BM's father left BM anything... my guess in the last couple years it was half and half...half from inheritance form SM and half from the sale of BM's businesses and their joint property. Yes one of SM's grievances was that he used business money at Cabela's. Again that isn't relevant to whether or not he killed his wife, in my opinion. I don't know if her fifty reasons to leave your husband will even come up at trial. But again, I have said repeatedly I could be surprised next spring. I think prosecutor's were trying to "bolster" there enhancement request of abuse but so far we are not privvy to any abuse historically of SM.

Didn't he lose his mind on one of his job sites in IN? He pleaded no contest or something equivalent, iirc, and I even think he's the one who brought suit against the man who was running for political office. Feels like eons ago we learned of this, which I'm sure (going by what I believe is his nature) isn't an isolated incidence.
Unless the defense is planning on (and why not? Maybe it was the postman?) causing doubt in the minds of the jury, they sure brought Suzanne's character into question droning on about her affair. The same man who has a 'concrete' alibi.
His temperament is definitely in question along with his motives so I think it's fair to say that his character or, I should say, lack thereof will factor in his demise especially being how this is foremost a circumstantial evidence case - that we know of at this point.

I doubt the prosecution brings the politician in as a witness - they interviewed him we know because he is on the laundry list of everyone they spoke with....my gut says his anger is because he got in more trouble back then than BM and he took to social media and anyone who would listen to him. I'm sure defense has done their due diligence on that guy just in case. But you never know.

Well if prosecution decides to introduce character evidence we'll know about it because they are required to give reasonable notice of the intent to introduce character evidence and articulate the intended purpose and to do so in writing. So unless it's suppressed technically we should "see" it. The judge did specifically indicate that in the arrest warrant there was character evidence that would not be admissiblehe didn't specify nor did he illustrate...just mentioned it in his reasoning for sealing the AA. Rule 404 - Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts, Colo. R. Evid. 404 | Casetext Search + Citator

We may get more intel during part two of the motions hearing this week.

He graduated from Purdue with a degree in Horticulture Production which is a 4 year BS degree. Looks like he graduated May 1994. It looks like he and Suzanne graduated at the same time from Purdue which coincides with anecdotal reports that they got together when they were in college. This all makes sense to me if you think about his multiple businesses. The landscaping thing being very different but probably easy for him to fall into. His baseball career was if I recall 1987. Clipping from The Alexandria Times-Tribune - Newspapers.com
Barry Morphew Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

I like baseball far too much to let this pass by. Despite what the Sun says, AFAIK, Barry did not have a career in baseball. He was drafted by the Blue Jays in 1986 but does not appear on rosters in 1986 nor 1987.

1987 Toronto Blue Jays Roster by Baseball Almanac

1986 Toronto Blue Jays Roster by Baseball Almanac

A source exclusively confirmed to The Sun that Barry was drafted to the MLB team, while online records show he joined in the 42nd round of the 1986 MLB June Amateur Draft from Alexandria-Monroe High School in Indiana.

He played in the positions of second and third baseman around 1986 and 1987, according to pro baseball sites.

Murder suspect Barry Morphew was drafted by MLB team the Toronto Blue Jays

Something has been puzzling me

Do you have a view why he left so early on Sunday morning? Obviously he was up all night, but why not leave for the job at a more believable time?

There is some sensitivity there IMO - or he was being irrational, thinking it was best for him to be gone before SM "wakes up"

Happen to be there in the timeline fill in so:
May 10, 03:25 – 03:48 – Barry’s truck door opened and closed – Find Suzanne Morphew

He got in the truck to leave the house at 03:48. The door doesn't open again until the RTD bus stop in Broomfield.

These are both footnotes in the AA:
Barry’s phone entered Airplane Mode at 4:32AM and he altered his numerous prior accounts to law enforcement to match phone and truck evidence when speaking to FBI Agents in April 2021. Barry said he turned left on Highway 50 when leaving his house, the opposite direction of heading to Broomfield, because he saw a bull elk crossing the road. Barry eventually pointed to an area on a Google map that indicated he turned his truck around at an exit in Garfield, Colorado, about five miles in the opposite direction of his trip.
Investigators have driven from the intersection of Highway 225 and Highway 50 to Garfield, a distance of 2.73 miles, an impossible distance to see an elk at or around 4:32AM and follow it in a short period of time. Barry had about 30 minutes to head that way, tum around and head back towards Highway 285. Barry’s truck was seen passing video surveillance on Highway 50 right near the junction with Highway 285 and then again just north on Highway 285 at around 5:14 and 5:16AM.

My real question is, what was he doing in the truck between 03:48 when he gets in and 04:32 when he puts his phone into airplane mode? Is he just sitting in the driveway? Doing donuts in the neighborhood? Running down chipmunks?

The only inheritances we know about are the one's from SM's mom and SM's dad. We have not heard if BM's father left BM anything... my guess in the last couple years it was half and half...half from inheritance form SM and half from the sale of BM's businesses and their joint property. Yes one of SM's grievances was that he used business money at Cabela's. Again that isn't relevant to whether or not he killed his wife, in my opinion. I don't know if her fifty reasons to leave your husband will even come up at trial. But again, I have said repeatedly I could be surprised next spring. I think prosecutor's were trying to "bolster" there enhancement request of abuse but so far we are not privvy to any abuse historically of SM.
Well, the difference between what business(es) he sold during their marriage was half Suzanne's. Her and possibly his (as you suggest) inheritances are separate altogether. I'd be interested to know IF he did inherit anything.
Suzanne's father didn't die until after Barry had her declared incapacitated. Not sure on the law regarding that point.
I wouldn't call her own daughter suggesting to her mother to get a restraining order 'bolstering' abuse by the prosecution.
We shall see what evidence they have of his abusive behavior, as you say, during the trial. I think it will come down to who the jury believes.

Happen to be there in the timeline fill in so:
May 10, 03:25 – 03:48 – Barry’s truck door opened and closed – Find Suzanne Morphew

He got in the truck to leave the house at 03:48. The door doesn't open again until the RTD bus stop in Broomfield.

These are both footnotes in the AA:
Barry’s phone entered Airplane Mode at 4:32AM and he altered his numerous prior accounts to law enforcement to match phone and truck evidence when speaking to FBI Agents in April 2021. Barry said he turned left on Highway 50 when leaving his house, the opposite direction of heading to Broomfield, because he saw a bull elk crossing the road. Barry eventually pointed to an area on a Google map that indicated he turned his truck around at an exit in Garfield, Colorado, about five miles in the opposite direction of his trip.
Investigators have driven from the intersection of Highway 225 and Highway 50 to Garfield, a distance of 2.73 miles, an impossible distance to see an elk at or around 4:32AM and follow it in a short period of time. Barry had about 30 minutes to head that way, tum around and head back towards Highway 285. Barry’s truck was seen passing video surveillance on Highway 50 right near the junction with Highway 285 and then again just north on Highway 285 at around 5:14 and 5:16AM.

My real question is, what was he doing in the truck between 03:48 when he gets in and 04:32 when he puts his phone into airplane mode? Is he just sitting in the driveway? Doing donuts in the neighborhood? Running down chipmunks?
You gotta wonder for sure. It feels like prosecution has based their entire case on cell phone and GPS data and very little else useable at trial to formulate a theory about what happened to SM, so I am assuming we will learn alot more about the data on Saturday and Sunday at the trial...what it means, what it is, what it isn't and so on.

I like baseball far too much to let this pass by. Despite what the Sun says, AFAIK, Barry did not have a career in baseball. He was drafted by the Blue Jays in 1986 but does not appear on rosters in 1986 nor 1987.

1987 Toronto Blue Jays Roster by Baseball Almanac

1986 Toronto Blue Jays Roster by Baseball Almanac

A source exclusively confirmed to The Sun that Barry was drafted to the MLB team, while online records show he joined in the 42nd round of the 1986 MLB June Amateur Draft from Alexandria-Monroe High School in Indiana.

He played in the positions of second and third baseman around 1986 and 1987, according to pro baseball sites.

Murder suspect Barry Morphew was drafted by MLB team the Toronto Blue Jays

I always assumed he was on the farm team, he exaggerates too much.

You gotta wonder for sure. It feels like prosecution has based their entire case on cell phone and GPS data and very little else useable at trial to formulate a theory about what happened to SM, so I am assuming we will learn alot more about the data on Saturday and Sunday at the trial...what it means, what it is, what it isn't and so on.

I think the State's case is based more on a combination the surveillance footage, sketchy behavior, and ever changing explanations.

We're obsessing over the GPS data.

I do think we're going to learn more as much of the digital data wasn't back when the AA was written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay