Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is that the State has a number of character witnesses for Suzanne and I think the defense would be hard pressed to find a positive character witness for Barry that wasn't blood related to him.
That's true. But one thing that concerns me---One of her strongest potential character witnesses is her best friend that she spoke with frequently, including the last day of her life.

But SM apparently never told her about her ongoing affair. So the defense is going to point out to the jury that SM was not fully honest with her best friend, therefore we should not trust their opinions of the marriage etc....I hope the prosecution has a good response for that.

Last edited:
Antlers, Antlers, & Antlers?
@Love Never Fails
ITA, often when BM talks, it's Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire.

As long as we're talking about antlers:) ---
I recall photos of a hundred plus pairs of deer & large game antlers in BM's pickup and trailer in Indiana, just before the fam moved to Colorado. Sorry, no link.
Was there an explanation of how he acquired them -- sawn off at deer farm or thru his own hunting? And/or anything about whether/how he disposed of them after arriving in CO. Presumably sold them? IDK. Anyone?

I got you.
2018.antlers.move.to.CO.ChrisMcDonough(1).JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...ough(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I've gone after this one so often I knew exactly where they were:
2018.move.to.CO.ChrisMcDonough(1).JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...Donough(1).JPG?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Last edited:
That's true. But one thing that concerns me---One of her strongest potential character witnesses is her best friend that she spoke with frequently, including the last day of her life.

But SM apparently never told her about her ongoing affair. So the defense is going to point out to the jury that SM was not fully honest with her best friend, therefore we should not trust their opinions of the marriage etc....I hope the prosecution has a good response for that.

She disappeared two days after she told her sister Barry was abusive.

SO already knew about some incidents. MM2 witnessed enough to tell her mother to file for divorce and get a restraining order. I think the above are the main reasons that Barry separated the girls from SO and the Moorman's.

I think he added it to objectify Suzanne and somehow try to lessen her, and her relationship with JL. I dont believe it happened for a minute, not how he described it anyway.

JMO
The only thing true is "Steak". One steak, one plate.
I don't believe he slept at all.
I sure hope the only reason he added "Sex" was to keep up his facade of their 'perfect' marriage.

IMO

Last edited:
The pivotal question at trial is whether there is a reasonable possibility SM was lightly snoring in bed last time BM saw her. That's the nub of it.

If not, the Jury should reach the obvious and natural inference BM murdered her and hid the body.

As such all the circumstantial evidence of the case will revolve directly or indirectly around that question.

The defence will throw a lot of mud against the wall but ultimately they are stuck with a defence that SM was abducted sometime later that day and was asleep when BM left.

The prosecution does not particularly need to prove how she was murdered or concealed as there is no other reasonable possibility to the abduction defence.

BBM. I disagree with the bolded statement.

The prosecution doesn't have to prove how or why BM killed SM, and they don't have to prove precisely where or when. The standard jury instruction says what the prosecution must prove, and this is all they must prove beyond a reasonable doubt:

"3-1:01 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE (AFTER DELIBERATION)

The elements of the crime of murder in the first degree are:

1. That the defendant,

2. in the State of Colorado, at or about the date and place charged,

3. after deliberation, and with intent to cause the death of a person other than
himself, caused the death of _______________ .

After considering all the evidence, if you decide the prosecution has proven each of the elements beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty of murder in the first degree.

After considering all the evidence, if you decide the prosecution has failed to prove any one or more of the elements beyond a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty of murder in the first degree"

The preliminary hearing presented more than enough evidence to convince a reasonable jury that BM killed SM at the PP residence on the afternoon of May 9, 2020, that he intended to do so, and that he deliberated about killing her before he did it. That's all the DA needs to prove, and that's not just my opinion.

Judge Murphy, misled by the defense's demonstrably false claim that DNA evidence pointed to someone else, commented that the case could go either way, but since that myth has been dispelled it's clear - even the bare bones of the prosecution's case is enough to convict IMO.

I would add to this, as an evidential question, in these types of cases the jury will be invited to draw natural and obvious inferences from the circumstantial evidence it accepts as proven.

The looming problem for the defence, is if it is proven that SM was not lightly snoring when he left PP, the only available inference is that she had already been murdered by BM. And the problem with that is, all the evidence points to SM having gone dark more than 12 hours before.

Often in these no body cases, the accused can rely on the fact that no evidence links him directly to the actus reus - i.e physical murder

But in this case, BM has made the mistake that it is his own evidence that keeps SM "alive" for 12+ hours where the circumstantial evidence suggests she is dead.

He really needed an alibi for that time.

Last edited:
The only thing true is "Steak". One steak, one plate.
I don't believe he slept at all.
I sure hope the only reason he added "Sex" was to keep up his facade of their 'perfect' marriage.

IMO
I have to agree, “sex” was a lie to hide problems in the marriage so it doesn’t bother me as much. The steak is what really bothers me because I believe that he truly cooked and ate a steak after killing his wife. He should have been too rattled and nervous to eat for DAYS after that. IMO

I have to agree, “sex” was a lie to hide problems in the marriage so it doesn’t bother me as much. The steak is what really bothers me because I believe that he truly cooked and ate a steak after killing his wife. He should have been too rattled and nervous to eat for DAYS after that. IMO

Killers often celebrate their murders.

I would add to this, as an evidential question, in these types of cases the jury will be invited to draw natural and obvious inferences from the circumstantial evidence it accepts as proven.

The looming problem for the defence, is if it is proven that SM was not lightly snoring when he left PP, the only available inference is that she had already been murdered by BM. And the problem with that is, all the evidence points to SM having gone dark more than 12 hours before.

Often in these no body cases, the accused can rely on the fact that no evidence links him directly to the actus reus - i.e physical murder

But in this case, BM has made the mistake that it is his own evidence that keeps SM "alive" for 12+ hours where the circumstantial evidence suggests she is dead.

He really needed an alibi for that time.
Agreed. And it seems to me, IMO, that is the reason the arrest took so long. If Barry moves away, he could not flap his mouth anymore. I believe LE was hoping he would tangle up his "facts/circumstances" even more than he had. I believe that LE had strong suspicions early on but wanted more confused facts straight from the horses mouth. IMO

Agreed. And it seems to me, IMO, that is the reason the arrest took so long. If Barry moves away, he could not flap his mouth anymore. I believe LE was hoping he would tangle up his "facts/circumstances" even more than he had. I believe that LE had strong suspicions early on but wanted more confused facts straight from the horses mouth. IMO

Agreed

Also they claim close to breaking him. I think they hoped to trap him and/or find the body.

In the end they succeeded with half the plan but you can see why the DA would wait for the body as a practical consideration.

When Suzanne met her best friend and had a date with JL also during that time, I believe, Suzanne told her friend about the affair and maybe needed SO for an alibi even.

Why? What is the business? Selling them to a guy so he can lie and say he hunted the animal himself and shot it? Shame on the guy doing business that way!
When Suzanne met her best friend and had a date with JL also during that time, I believe, Suzanne told her friend about the affair and maybe needed SO for an alibi even.
I do believe this friend might be a witness, although I'm not sure what she adds to the murder charge since she wasn't around the days of the crime other than being yet one more person who could testify that their marriage was failing. Not sure how many of those people they really need on the stand to make the point their marriage was in trouble. And I'm not sure how this witness would hold up under cross if Suzanne was as secretive as it appears to us.

In reporter LS prelim day 2 recap video, she states that no one else knew about the affair. LE found the spy pen in Suzanne's closet and then realized she was having an affair with someone named Jeff. LE played the audio to Suzanne's friends, SO and HW, and neither of them knew who this Jeff could be. It wasn't until LE got SMs cloud info, and through examining her LinkedIn account, that they figured out who he was.

In reporter LS prelim day 2 recap video, she states that no one else knew about the affair. LE found the spy pen in Suzanne's closet and then realized she was having an affair with someone named Jeff. LE played the audio to Suzanne's friends, SO and HW, and neither of them knew who this Jeff could be. It wasn't until LE got SMs cloud info, and through examining her LinkedIn account, that they figured out who he was.
Oh, okay, I didn't know. Thank you for this info!

Last edited:
"Sex" was a means to make his detective-"buddies" interested in his stuff, haha. IMO So very primitive.

I do believe this friend might be a witness, although I'm not sure what she adds to the murder charge since she wasn't around the days of the crime other than being yet one more person who could testify that their marriage was failing. Not sure how many of those people they really need on the stand to make the point their marriage was in trouble. And I'm not sure how this witness would hold up under cross if Suzanne was as secretive as it appears to us.
I think SO's testimony would provide context, in terms of SM's sharing her private thoughts and plans. But I think the really interesting evidence will be around timing of when SM dropped off the radar. Human input really to some of the phone data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313