Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The phone is underwater imo, think that's why there was that reported sighting from TD of Barry looking wet and climbing up from the creek - maybe he dropped it there by accident and went hunting for it or he went there checking to see if it had been found by LE because he staged it. Was that sighting by TD around the same day the helmet was found?

D

I believe that wad during the searches AM organized.

That is a great point! Just using my own marriage as a reference, if my husband took an interest in fitness and was taking care of himself and finding new hobbies that they enjoyed and brought him joy, I definitely wouldn't think working out, getting fit would equal him being ballsy. I think it would equal him taking care of himself, making positive changes, feeling more confident and excited about life, especially if he had just had cancer treatments and so on. Ballsy would be the last thing I'd think to describe it.
The only time I have heard a man call a woman ballsy was at work. And yes the woman was very direct…she could also out drive most guys off the tee…there are very much men in the world that have negative reactions to aggressive women and I don’t consider aggressive as a derogatory word. Suzanne may have wanted a civil divorce but she was the one pushing- there are many synonyms that fit. Her self interest in being fit, thinking about a second career etc in addition are admirable but were probably throwing Barry off kilter no doubt.

I disagree. The PM was not a trial and the defense had equal time as the prosecution to present evidence or testimony to challenge the state's case. FBI Agent Grusing who was the witness for the state is not a phone forensic expert and he did not testify in the manner of an expert. I believe the defense and state used the same software (Cellbrite) to analyze the discovery but chose a different analysis option.

Actually, I think the defense helped the state here because they will be better prepared during the trial. I also think there's some truth to how the same data produced different results given the lack of phone signal in the area of the Morphew's former residence.

PE's Mike King conducted an experiment with his own phone-- leaving it on his desk. The initial phone forensic report also seemed to indicate his phone was moving in a quick pattern when it did not move at all from his desk-- I'm recalling something about the phone trying to pair to a device or search for a tower signal. MOO

I agree. After spending so much time with the Plunder transcripts, E&Ns goal during the PH was to keep the facts from turning into headlines. They ramble and meander and repeat. They wasted four days trying to keep the facts from becoming headlines. Asking the wrong people questions. They can't get away with this strategy at in front of a jury, they'll look incompetent.

The GPS data is all about interpretation. But a pattern is a pattern and when you have multiple sources for the data keeping everything within grouped areas you can argue about an accuracy of range but it's three different electronic sources in the same area at the same time.

And then stages the helmet by throwing it out of the truck after 4.32?

ETA - I am not sure how to plot a route on your G-earth to get the distance info but it does not look far to where the bike was dumped. Could he have ridden the bike down there and walked back?

It's a mystery. We don't have the GPS numbers, so it's impossible to say. The most direct route would have been to walk it to the staged site but he would have to pass close to the Ritter's and cross the river on foot. I think this way he would be quickest, but riskier due to the nearness of the Ritter house. I believe the Cushman house was unoccupied at the time so riding it up the road would be less likely to get him spotted than cutting across. But how long would it take him to walk it back? It could be managed on an ATV. If he used the road the Ritter's likely wouldn't hear an ATV through the trees.

So yes, he stages the bike, with his phone on him and signaling. Then goes back to the house, messes with Suzanne's phone, then puts his into airplane mode before turning left on US-50

You have to download the Google Earth Pro (free) software to do the distances.

I agree defense “helped” prosecution by pointing out areas of potential weakness but they had to in order to set up for bond. If the outcome had been proof positive presumption great they would not have been able to get bond. Jumping cell phone location data has been discussed and why I don’t buy the theory of the harried rapid speed chase around the house. He was most likely moving but perhaps not in a way that would match the data… it would be more nuanced.

Last edited:
What I really would like to know more about is:
1. what was his usual activity like with his truck? When he gets home or just in the evening, maybe even loading for a job site work the following day, how many door events are typical? Is there usually 10 or 20? Was 80 really out of the normal range for say the previous 2 months?

2. What was his usual cell data like? Did he often use airplane mode? If so how often did he put it off and on a lot? Daily? Weekly?

3. How often did he decide to get a job going the day before by telling his workers last minute like this? When did he find out he had this job to do in the first place?

4. If they have cell movement data from the previous month or two, how often did he arrive home and start running around (shooting chipmunks/looking for turkeys, etc.), how often did he leave for work and turn the wrong way to go look for elk or whatever he said he did.. Even a month or two back, if he has NEVER done those things.. leaves and goes right toward town or does he often just drive around at 4 or 5am looking for animals?

We can tell a lot about someone in these circumstanital cases if what they say they did isn't normal or typical of their previous behavior. If he is always just aimlessly wandering around after animals, opening and shutting his truck or causing "events" nearly 100 times in an hour or so and his cell is always in airplane mode.. maybe his stories is odd, but true. (personally, I think it's a crock of crapola) But, if this day all the sudden everything he says he did is so out of the norm from what he has done every day for the last few months, then that really would say a lot I think to proove he's just telling a story to fit what he knows he already did and needs to cover up.
Exactly what I want to know! What was Barry’s behavior prior to the time of Suzanne’s disappearance.

Lots of guys think of wives as “trophies” hence the term trophy wife. It is gross but it is certainly not unique to Barry. But I have not seen anything that supports him not thinking highly of her. Clearly he was puzzled by the new aggressive Suzanne but they didn’t go through twenty years of marriage in a constant state of marital tension in my opinion. I think it escalated after the move.
Agressive or Confident. In my opinion confidence is gained as women age. If she was agressive BM would be missing. moo

This is what I am getting into, and I think this evidence at trial will be vastly more detailed with expert witnesses.

Based on the thin info we have, it seems BM leaves PP at 3.58 but the SMs phone won't go dark for another 25 mins. So that would tend to imply he had it with him as we don't seem to have a suggestion that he went back. Or did he?

If I am the defence it seems one of my best arguments based on the AA is that according to the prosecution, BM had left and driven west, yet the phone switched off at or close to PP - so it must have been SM or "the real killer" who turned it off.

what do you mean by this?
The phone battery went dead.

If Barry turned to follow a bull elk, regardless of it not being shed season, well okay, I will follow along. But Barry only remembered turning and following said elk when confronted with data that contradicted his story. That’s where I have the problem. Every time LE showed Barry that things could not have happened the way he said, he altered his statements to match the information he was presented with.
Barry sounds alot like Jay Wilds. Story changes when more facts come to light.

Thank you sk716. It feels good to sit at my laptop tonight. My son is still here and we have gotten a lot accomplished. He's going home tomorrow night but coming back on Wednesday, maybe with my daughter-in-law. He works from home so he's going to work from here which is great. He's concerned but he knows I have a good head on my shoulders and I'll be okay. It's just that it's a bit screwed up right now. My husband's death is so raw right now, but it's only been a couple of days. The grief is overwhelming at times. But, I will be okay eventually.
@jakat - I am so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

What was Barry doing down by the creek on Friday evening?

And what was he doing overnight?

Did it damage his blade?

I regret that my initial post after following this sordid history from the beginning, must itself be sordid.
My thought is that BM carried his anesthetized angel, draped with only that brown towel, down to the stream, laid her in the gentle current, and bled her out.
He left her there that evening as he had much to attend to back at their home.
Later, in darkness, there would be still more - much more - to do.

I disagree. The PM was not a trial and the defense had equal time as the prosecution to present evidence or testimony to challenge the state's case. FBI Agent Grusing who was the witness for the state is not a phone forensic expert and he did not testify in the manner of an expert. I believe the defense and state used the same software (Cellbrite) to analyze the discovery but chose a different analysis option.

Actually, I think the defense helped the state here because they will be better prepared during the trial. I also think there's some truth to how the same data produced different results given the lack of phone signal in the area of the Morphew's former residence.

PE's Mike King conducted an experiment with his own phone-- leaving it on his desk. The initial phone forensic report also seemed to indicate his phone was moving in a quick pattern when it did not move at all from his desk-- I'm recalling something about the phone trying to pair to a device or search for a tower signal. MOO
I would like to see Mike King's example cna you tell me where that is? It's not on the title of any of the videos that I can see.

The defense has an equal responsibility to show their discovery i.e. what they will be presenting at the trial.

MOO E&N used a different form of the Cellubrite report.
MOO that different report needed to submitted as discovery in advance.

Last edited:
Barry sounds alot like Jay Wilds. Story changes when more facts come to light.

It's super common among killers, but I don't recall a case with this many examples. Barry's issue isn't that he merely changed details during the course of one interview, but rather, over the course of around two dozen.

His statements evolve, or even change completely as he is presented with contradictory evidence.

Innocent people do not do that.

I regret that my initial post after following this sordid history from the beginning, must itself be sordid.
My thought is that BM carried his anesthetized angel, draped with only that brown towel, down to the stream, laid her in the gentle current, and bled her out.
He left her there that evening as he had much to attend to back at their home.
Later, in darkness, there would be still more - much more - to do.
I'm open to the river having some significance, but I don't think that's it.

There was just no need to take that step.

His priority would have been moving the body to a location where it could be disposed of, and never found.

Draining blood wouldn't achieve anything, except giving dogs something to hit on.

I'm open to the river having some significance, but I don't think that's it.

There was just no need to take that step.

His priority would have been moving the body to a location where it could be disposed of, and never found.

Draining blood wouldn't achieve anything, except giving dogs something to hit on.
You know Mass I remember when Andy was doing his search the dogs hit on Barry’s other property I wonder he he kept her there for a bit . Barry’s behaviour during that search was so stuipid jmoo

You know Mass I remember when Andy was doing his search the dogs hit on Barry’s other property I wonder he he kept her there for a bit . Barry’s behaviour during that search was so stuipid jmoo
Those dogs hit all over the place, and I think it's probable those were false hits.

Likewise, I'm not concerned about his behavior during the search, as I had predicted it would anger him when it was first announced. That's the kind of person he is.

Barry did talk about the river a lot though, which is why I definitely think there's an argument for it playing some role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08