Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I think about it, the missing brown towel would probably be the most damning thing to show up in the trash in Broomfield.
I mean, it was photographed with SM as part of her last proof of life.
If we are to believe that BM was just cleaning out his truck, why would the towel be in his truck?
He said he cleaned off his workbench and loaded his truck the night before. When asked about the tranquilizer material he finally admitted that he threw it away in one of his trash runs and that it was “ probably on the workbench”.

jmo

Or he has a habit of dejunking his truck when he has the opportunity. From the look inside his truck and garage it is entirely possible he was just killing time doing what he may have done hundreds of times over the years.
Then why not just dump everything in one dumpster? Why make multiple stops, walk across parking lots, and then conveniently forget all this stuff when questioned?

He claimed he had time on his hands after going to the wall, but four of these dumps preceded that.

This is the exact same thing Fotis Dulos did. He thought it smarter to separate everything, rather than put all his eggs in one basket.

There is a broader context here too. Can you give me a logical explanation as to why he lied to the Ritters about where he was when they called him, and why he later repeated this lie multiple times to investigators?

Last edited:
As we wait for trial I think we’re all wondering how the State will lay out a narrative to prove BM did this. What key points they will make.

I looked back at the September 17 hearing and this is how they laid it out for the Judge to determine if he should bind over to trial and grant bail.

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438956412110049282?s=21
Senior Deputy DA Jeff Lindsey takes the podium. He begins with the last text #SuzanneMorphew sent to #BarryMorphew about being “done.” He says this text is crucial. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438956814201147397?s=21
Lindsey says #BarryMorphew arrives on scene where #SuzanneMorphew bike found and immediately says it was a mountain lion. He says Barry told investigators they “loved each other to death” something SDDA Lindsey calls “chilling.” @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438957147522572305?s=21
He says FBI had to recover texts from #BarryMorphew phone. He says that shows he had something to hide. He’s now referring to a text from Barry to #SuzanneMorphew playing the “victim.” He says Suzanne is the one who’s been on trial. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438957351697006594?s=21
Lindsey says it’s simple, this is a “domestic violent homicide.” #SuzanneMorphew #BarryMorphew @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438957692438130691?s=21
Lindsey says #SuzanneMorphew left a list of grievances about why the marriage with #BarryMorphew would end on May 8th. He says she said it was an unhealthy relationship. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438958479838941190?s=21
Lindsey says #SuzanneMorphew asks for civility on May 8th and 9th. He says they are being civil- but he believes #BarryMorphew is tricking Suzanne into what she thinks will be civility. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438959940102758409?s=21
Lindsey says when you think of who could have done this it’s #barryMorphew. Lindsey says it’s because Barry wouldn’t let #SuzanneMorphew divorce him because “marriage is for life.” Lindsey says he thinks Barry loaded a syringe in the garage the day of May 9th. @KKTV11News

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438960146307244034?s=21
Lindsey says the night of May 9th #BarryMorphew was “preventing her from getting to safety or to a phone.” @KKTV11News #SuzanneMorphew

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1438960530933391362?s=21
Lindsey says investigators asked #BarryMorphew what he was throwing away on his “trash runs” but Barry continued to say “I don’t recall” Lindsey says that is because he’s using that as a fallback instead of telling the truth. @KKTV11News #SuzanneMorphew

Lindsey admits they have no body in this case and blames it on #BarryMorphew “plan” he says the “crime scene” was staged and there was no blood found anywhere because it’s all part of a plan. @KKTV11News #SuzanneMorphew

Lindsey says #BarryMorphew missed things because #SuzanneMorphew always wears her camelbak and sunglasses when she rides her bike- both of which were found in her car and not with her bike. @KKTV11News

Lindsey continues by saying what us important is the “tranquilizer” evidence. He says when asked the last the #BarryMorphew saw of #SuzanneMorphew he says she was lightly snoring. Lindsey says that was because of the tranquilizer chemical. With that he wraps up. @KKTV11News

Considering how Barry leaks the truth and how he loves boulders and how he can bury a body to never be found, this stands out to me:

SA Grusing asked if vertical mineshafts were in the area, and Barry replied, “Yeah, there’s one behind the house that’s on the very top, but it’s plugged by a boulder. They plugged it. It doesn’t go, I mean it goes straight down and they plugged it.”

It doesn’t go…where? What was he going to say?

And how can he know it only goes straight down if it’s plugged?

And if some mineshafts there don’t only go straight down but might go…elsewhere? Sideways? Explorable tunnels?

And I wonder if there is other mineshafts nearby plugged by boulders?

And if his answer to Grusing’s question about vertical mineshafts in the area was “there’s one,” I wonder if there’s actually two? Or more.

I wish I was part of a mineshaft spelunking team right about now…

Last edited:
Considering how Barry leaks the truth and how he loves boulders and how he can bury a body to never be found, this stands out to me:

SA Grusing asked if vertical mineshafts were in the area, and Barry replied, “Yeah, there’s one behind the house that’s on the very top, but it’s plugged by a boulder. They plugged it. It doesn’t go, I mean it goes straight down and they plugged it.”

It doesn’t go…where? What was he going to say?

And how can he know it only goes straight down if it’s plugged? And if some mineshafts there don’t only go straight down but might go…elsewhere? Sideways? Explorable tunnels?

And I wonder if there is other mineshafts nearby plugged by boulders?

I wish I was part of a mineshaft spelunking team right about now…
His body language was very itchy when he talked about mines, too. As noted by Special Agent Grusing, a veteran Investigator of no body homicides.
JMO

Then why not just dump everything in one dumpster? Why make multiple stops, walk across parking lots, and then conveniently forget all this stuff when questioned?

He claimed he had time on his hands after going to the wall, but four of these dumps preceded that.

This is the exact same thing Fotis Dulos did. He thought it smarter to separate everything, rather than put all his eggs in one basket.

There is a broader context here too. Can you give me a logical explanation as to why he lied to the Ritters about where he was when they called him, and why he later repeated this lie multiple times to investigators?

Not to mention the fact that BM also went to the carwash!! The prudent party cleaning their vehicle dumps at the car wash where dumpsters are provided for that purpose. I imagine every juror having the same question.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/02/ScreenHunter-1307-1536x684.png
Trails and Mines – Find Suzanne Morphew

Did anyone else notice the aqueduct running along the Arkansas in the Morphew's backyard (if I am reading the map correctly)? So what would that be? A pretty big buried pipe? Wonder if it's still in use? Maybe a good place to hide a body?

Then why not just dump everything in one dumpster? Why make multiple stops, to separate everything, rather than put all his eggs in one basket.
RSBM...So how are you going to meet the right woman (?) only going to one dumpster. :):)

And an important note...we are two days away from Barry's favorite and only holiday. No, not husbands day, Valentines Day.

Remember when Suzanne was with JL on Valentines 20/20 but sent Barry this love letter? "Just want you to know - my life would be nothing without your love and the excitement you bring to our marriage and my life. All my love - Suzanne,” she allegedly wrote in a Valentine’s Day card in 2020.

Then by 2021 SD was the lucky gal, oops but they were just friends

Not to mention the fact that BM also went to the carwash!! The prudent party cleaning their vehicle dumps at the car wash where dumpsters are provided for that purpose. I imagine every juror having the same question.

MOO

I wonder why the stop at the car wash is not considered one of the Broomfield dumps? Or is it? IMO he had to have dumped something there too. There are plenty of trash cans and dumpsters at a car wash.

If he washed the outside of his truck, he definitely didn’t “clean out” the interior like one normally does when at a car wash because by the time he arrives back at PP, the pics of the interior cab show a mess and it is also dusty. So in addition to possibly washing the exterior of his truck he was probably also dumping more bags/items at this location.

Last edited:
Any chance he could have put her in Fooses Lake? Or would that have been too risky with:

•Chances of LE searching the lake
•Suzanne's body rising to the top
•Lake not being deep enough
•Fishermen seeing him

Thoughts?
Divers searched both Fooses and and the other lake east of Monarch Spur RV park in the days following SM’s disappearance.

MOO

I wonder why the stop at the car wash is not considered one of the Broomfield dumps? Or is it? IMO he had to have dumped something there too. There are plenty of trash cans and dumpsters at a car wash.

If he washed the outside of his truck, he definitely didn’t “clean out” the interior like one normally does when at a car wash because by the time he arrives back at PP, the pics of the interior cab show a mess and it is also dusty. So in addition to possibly washing the exterior of his truck he was probably also dumping more bags/items at this location.
I think the car wash isn't included as one of the trash stops because there's no surveillance available of BM throwing trash at the carwash -- only his statement to investigators when interviewed. JMO

I think the car wash isn't included as one of the trash stops because there's no surveillance available of BM throwing trash at the carwash -- only his statement to investigators when interviewed. JMO

I thought that might be the reason as well, but then remembered there is no footage of the first dump at the bus stop, nor is there footage of the MW dump stop. Only his phone/GPS and some of BM’s own admissions place him at all the locations.

So I’m just wondering why the car wash stop isn’t considered a dump stop too?

MOO

Barry Morphew murder case: Husband made five "trash runs" on day wife went missing, FBI agent says

On Tuesday, retired FBI agent Jonathan Grusing testified in detail about data collected by software on Morphew’s truck and by his cell phone on May 9 and 10, 2020. Barry Morphew left his Chaffee County home early on May 10 and drove to the Front Range for a landscaping job, Grusing testified. That morning, Morphew appeared to make five “trash runs” at various spots near Broomfield, he said.

In the first run, Morphew stopped next to a trash can at an RTD bus station for about 90 seconds, and the passenger and driver’s doors on his truck opened, Grusing testified. He then went to a hotel, and before checking in, parked along the back next to a trash can, where the truck doors again opened and closed. He then left the hotel and threw items away at a McDonald’s restaurant, Grusing testified.

Morphew at one point told investigators he was probably throwing away wrappers at McDonald’s, and later said he couldn’t remember what he was throwing away, Grusing testified. After stopping at the restaurant, Morphew went to a large trash bin near a Men’s Warehouse store and spent 40 minutes in that parking lot, Grusing testified. Later that afternoon, Morphew placed a full trash bag, tree planter and a camouflage jacket in a trash bin near the hotel, Grusing said.

RSBM...So how are you going to meet the right woman (?) only going to one dumpster. :):)

And an important note...we are two days away from Barry's favorite and only holiday. No, not husbands day, Valentines Day.

Remember when Suzanne was with JL on Valentines 20/20 but sent Barry this love letter? "Just want you to know - my life would be nothing without your love and the excitement you bring to our marriage and my life. All my love - Suzanne,” she allegedly wrote in a Valentine’s Day card in 2020.

Then by 2021 SD was the lucky gal, oops but they were just friends

BBM

I recall seeing a video of BM sharing that card and assumed it was written at an earlier date and he was just doing another one of his lies - pretending it was recent.

Was it dated 2020 or is that just the date BM gives?

Are you thinking it wasn't written by SM?

Barry Morphew murder case: Husband made five "trash runs" on day wife went missing, FBI agent says

On Tuesday, retired FBI agent Jonathan Grusing testified in detail about data collected by software on Morphew’s truck and by his cell phone on May 9 and 10, 2020. Barry Morphew left his Chaffee County home early on May 10 and drove to the Front Range for a landscaping job, Grusing testified. That morning, Morphew appeared to make five “trash runs” at various spots near Broomfield, he said.

In the first run, Morphew stopped next to a trash can at an RTD bus station for about 90 seconds, and the passenger and driver’s doors on his truck opened, Grusing testified. He then went to a hotel, and before checking in, parked along the back next to a trash can, where the truck doors again opened and closed. He then left the hotel and threw items away at a McDonald’s restaurant, Grusing testified.

Morphew at one point told investigators he was probably throwing away wrappers at McDonald’s, and later said he couldn’t remember what he was throwing away, Grusing testified. After stopping at the restaurant, Morphew went to a large trash bin near a Men’s Warehouse store and spent 40 minutes in that parking lot, Grusing testified. Later that afternoon, Morphew placed a full trash bag, tree planter and a camouflage jacket in a trash bin near the hotel, Grusing said.

Thank you for the info @Cindizzi

The 5 stops are clearly outlined but there is no mention of the car wash. IIRC, it did happen that day correct? While he was in Broomfield?

And also why did he go to Broomfield so early if he wasn't planning on working the site that day?

Why didn't he stick to his travel plan?

BBM

I recall seeing a video of BM sharing that card and assumed it was written at an earlier date and he was just doing another one of his lies - pretending it was recent.

Was it dated 2020 or is that just the date BM gives?

Are you thinking it wasn't written by SM?
I think we all were suspicious of the date of that card ( the date is not shown, just implied). I don’t doubt it’s her handwriting but Something about the timing of that interview seemed like such a reach on BM’s part.
He had spoken to LS in August and that really backfired on him, made him look more guilty. Then in September the big search by AM with AM accusing him in the Press. Then the news that he was selling the house.
This interview was so obviously him trying to fix his image. IMO

Barry Morphew Shares More Photos And Love Letter Nearly 5 Months After Wife, Suzanne, Disappears
SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) – The home of a missing mother from Salida is now up for sale. Suzanne Morphew’s husband, Barry, tells CBS4 part of the decision to list it was due to what he believes happened to her.

Thank you for the info @Cindizzi

The 5 stops are clearly outlined but there is no mention of the car wash. IIRC, it did happen that day correct? While he was in Broomfield?
I’ve been searching for more about the car wash and it looks like it was only mentioned briefly by Grusing . It apparently happened in between McDonalds and MW. I agree with Seattle that there were no cameras.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425148657284915202?s=21
TRASH RUN #3: At 9:12 a.m. #BarryMorphew leaves the hotel. Goes up and around the worksite never parks then goes to McDonald's in Broomfield. Throws items away here. He is seen pushing trash down into the trash can with both hands, according to the surveillance video.

Agent Grusing asked #BarryMorphew what he threw away and he couldn't remember. He then went to a carwash and a Men's Wearhouse parking lot.

I think we all were suspicious of the date of that card ( the date is not shown, just implied). I don’t doubt it’s her handwriting but Something about the timing of that interview seemed like such a reach on BM’s part.
He had spoken to LS in August and that really backfired on him, made him look more guilty. Then in September the big search by AM with AM accusing him in the Press. Then the news that he was selling the house.
This interview was so obviously him trying to fix his image. IMO

Barry Morphew Shares More Photos And Love Letter Nearly 5 Months After Wife, Suzanne, Disappears
SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) – The home of a missing mother from Salida is now up for sale. Suzanne Morphew’s husband, Barry, tells CBS4 part of the decision to list it was due to what he believes happened to her.

Thank you for the source! I thought there was a different video of him sitting on some steps showing off his Valentine's cards but this video sums it up just as well.

Other than his word that that card was sent on Vantine's Day 2020, we really have no idea what year it might have been sent. It could have been sent the year after they were married for all we know.

It did strike me as odd at the time, (5 months after her disappearance) that he would trot out those Valentine's cards.

I’ve been searching for more about the car wash and it looks like it was only mentioned briefly by Grusing . It apparently happened in between McDonalds and MW. I agree with Seattle that there were no cameras.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425148657284915202?s=21
TRASH RUN #3: At 9:12 a.m. #BarryMorphew leaves the hotel. Goes up and around the worksite never parks then goes to McDonald's in Broomfield. Throws items away here. He is seen pushing trash down into the trash can with both hands, according to the surveillance video.

Agent Grusing asked #BarryMorphew what he threw away and he couldn't remember. He then went to a carwash and a Men's Wearhouse parking lot.
Replying to myself ( and @LandManatee ) to say I didn’t really answer why I think they didn’t count the car wash as a trash run. Lack of cameras doesn’t make sense. Seems like I read somewhere that BM said he pulled in there to wash off his windshield, which would imply that he wasn’t there long. I’m not sure why they don’t come out and say he was visiting a trash can! Surely they have trash cans there.
LOL it’s after 1:00 am I should be sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState