Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was the phone, what do you think he did with it? If he turned it on to search anything, wouldn’t LE know that?
I don’t think it was to turn it on, I think it was to hide it someplace else. This got me to thinking about the Poncha Market again. I was looking at it on Google maps when something jumped out at me. Remember when the defense was making a big push to say BM went to Salida S&S at 5:00 on Saturday? Everyone knew they closed at 2:00 on Saturday. They were trying to make up for some extra miles on BM’s truck which I think was actually the result of his left hand turn to the west on Hwy 50 on Sunday morning.
What if BM had actually gone to Poncha Market on Sunday morning on his way out of town to dump SM’s phone? Salida S&S is only 2 minutes from the Poncha Market. SM’s last ping was off a tower 11 miles west of the Poncha Springs cell tower early on Sunday morning if I recall. I think BM had the phone in his truck as he was heading towards town, which would put him west of the tower.
By Tuesday, BM knew that LE had suspicions about him and his story. Did he try to retrieve the phone so he could dump it further away?
The other possibility was that he had stashed it somewhere, retrieved it on Tuesday, and planted it in the trash at the market for disposal. He knew the market was closed, but didn’t expect any workers to still be on the premises.
Still playing with all the pieces………..

Attachments

• F5D24081-0944-43BD-9C22-743E62F7968D.jpeg
    F5D24081-0944-43BD-9C22-743E62F7968D.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 14
Just pondering some stuff that was already gone over. A rehash, if you will.
What exactly is BM’s defense here?
Bike accident: body would still be there as well as wrecked phone.
Mountain Lion abduction: Just no. But to be fair, there would have been some sort of evidence and he phone would have been found nearby.
She ran off: Phone would be home to avoid someone tracking her. Some sort of communication with her girls. Also once it got to the point of a search party she would have contacted the law and said she was ok
Abducted by a human: either the phone wold be home or would have been shut down at the point of abduction. Somewhere other than home. Unless BM will claim someone broke in and stole her. While he was there?
The trash dumps are sketchy but as I said long ago her phone is a big problem for Barry.
Hypothetically, I am attached to my phone and wear an Apple Watch always. How would Mr Pirate disappear me?
All of the above is MOO.

Mountain Lion abduction: Just no. But to be fair, there would have been some sort of evidence and he phone would have been found nearby.
She ran off: Phone would be home to avoid someone tracking her. Some sort of communication with her girls. Also once it got to the point of a search party she would have contacted the law and said she was ok
Abducted by a human: either the phone wold be home or would have been shut down at the point of abduction. Somewhere other than home. Unless BM will claim someone broke in and stole her. While he was there?
The trash dumps are sketchy but as I said long ago her phone is a big problem for Barry.
Hypothetically, I am attached to my phone and wear an Apple Watch always. How would Mr Pirate disappear me?
All of the above is MOO.
SODDI defense-some other dude did it. Everything hinges on the smoke and mirrors of that glove box DNA that is a partial match related in some way to a person wanted for sexual assaults.

Doesn’t matter if the RR door was never opened that that weekend, or Barry suddenly leaving town for a non-existent job site, that offender not being linked to the home, no phone, trash runs, Barry being home for a whole day when Suzanne went dark, a staged bike without that DNA…

It occurs to me while reading everyone's thoughts on the boots to ask a question.

WTF was up with those boots? I'm pretty sure those boots are why the cadaver dogs hit on the trailer and the Bobcat. But WHY?

We've been staring at every aspect of this case for nearly two years now. We, nor any branch of LE, can find any blood or bodily fluids anywhere. Not in the house, not in the yard. He wasn't worried about anything being seen on the items he took into the HIE so nothing was suspicious, nothing bloody, nothing dripping wet.

So, how did the cadaverine get on the boots? What happened that he needed to take them inside the hotel to make sure there was no evidence before he threw them away?
He took them in to remove the shoe laces. I mentioned months ago my guys save boot shoelaces also before they toss old boots.

SODDI defense-some other dude did it. Everything hinges on the smoke and mirrors of that glove box DNA that is a partial match related in some way to a person wanted for sexual assaults.

Doesn’t matter if the RR door was never opened that that weekend, or Barry suddenly leaving town for a non-existent job site, that offender not being linked to the home, no phone, trash runs, Barry being home for a whole day when Suzanne went dark, a staged bike without that DNA…

Realistically the only chance for the defence is to throw mud at the wall and speculate wild answers to all the incriminating things Barry said and did.

So basically saying to the Jury, yeah he probably did it, but beyond reasonable doubt? Not quite.

I think Barry’s defense will be to cast doubt on prosecution’s speculation of the connection of Barry’s actions to the hours that prosecution is saying the crime occurred. I expect a vigorous cross exam of SD if prosecution calls her and a few other people that I might guess prosecution might call. I expect they will use the entire LE conversations that make it to trial to give context to snippets prosecutors focused on. If there is any weaknesses in telematics and data I expect defense to point those out. I think if prosecution hasn’t resolved the DNA investigation that will come up also by defense. For me the key to everything is what will and won’t be allowed at trial and what sanctions prosecution might get. Again another example came up the last hearing that Suzanne’s car and laptop data had not been turned over to defense. It is easier for me to speculate what defense will do than how prosecution can improve their case.

All of the above is MOO.
Yup, I too have been focused on her phone for a long time. This was 7 months before his arrest. He was clearly a suspect, and he wouldn't be a suspect if her phone was active that day.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/co-suzanne-morphew-49-did-not-return-from-bike-ride-chaffee-county-10-may-2020-47.548100/page-9#post-16430165

For me the problem with the wild speculation by counsel defence is how do you explain why SM went dark for 12+ hours while BM claims to have been with her.

The only witness to what SM was doing in that time, is the accused.

And obviously he cannot testify, due to all the stupid things he already said.

No amount of poking holes in the case can address that problem.

BM's alibi starts 12 hours too late.

For me the problem with the wild speculation by counsel defence is how do you explain why SM went dark for 12+ hours while BM claims to have been with her.

Exactly. That's absolutely huge.

She's in contact with both her lover and Sheila, then suddenly drops off the map. It's incredibly damning at first glance, but even more-so when you look at her habits and what was going on (wedding, divorce talk).

Then her phone shuts off as Barry is leaving.

I mean, come on. This is so easy.

That's not even factoring in the obvious staging of the bike, and Barry's dozens of lies and suspicious actions and statements.

And while Barry’s “12 hours too late” alibi is in full swing, he is making multiple trash dumps, perpetrating that he is working on a “BIG JOB”, but not actually working, and lying to others on his whereabouts.

To everyone it screams GUILTY behavior.

I agree the 2 strongest arguments for prosecution that we know of are the lack of connectivity for Suzanne with her lover and friend and the early departure of Barry for a job planned for later and nighttime activity if there are no holes in the telematic data. The threatened divorce is important but in my opinion doesn’t necessary support the charge other than suggesting a motive. So much else is unconfirmed or fairly speculative. Defense is bound to bring up the shady and known criminals that were known to be in the area too at the time of her disappearance and those are things I forgot about unless investigators followed those up so didn’t want to include in the arrest affidavit.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was to turn it on, I think it was to hide it someplace else. This got me to thinking about the Poncha Market again. I was looking at it on Google maps when something jumped out at me. Remember when the defense was making a big push to say BM went to Salida S&S at 5:00 on Saturday? Everyone knew they closed at 2:00 on Saturday. They were trying to make up for some extra miles on BM’s truck which I think was actually the result of his left hand turn to the west on Hwy 50 on Sunday morning.
What if BM had actually gone to Poncha Market on Sunday morning on his way out of town to dump SM’s phone? Salida S&S is only 2 minutes from the Poncha Market. SM’s last ping was off a tower 11 miles west of the Poncha Springs cell tower early on Sunday morning if I recall. I think BM had the phone in his truck as he was heading towards town, which would put him west of the tower.
By Tuesday, BM knew that LE had suspicions about him and his story. Did he try to retrieve the phone so he could dump it further away?
The other possibility was that he had stashed it somewhere, retrieved it on Tuesday, and planted it in the trash at the market for disposal. He knew the market was closed, but didn’t expect any workers to still be on the premises.
Still playing with all the pieces………..
This is a good theory. It would make up for the mileage on his truck. We do know he went to retrieve something from that dumpster. His head had to be all over the place. I’m glad there were workers at the market. I would like to hear how this all plays out in testimony at trial. From the beginning he had to believe that LE and the locals would completely take his word that a lion had dragged Suzanne off the bike. Then he thought he could talk his way out of everything with the investigators. From what people say, he had talked and manipulated his way through life.

I agree the 2 strongest arguments for prosecution that we know of are the lack of connectivity for Suzanne with her lover and friend and the early departure of Barry for a job planned for later and nighttime activity if there are no holes in the telematic data. The threatened divorce is important but in my opinion doesn’t necessary support the charge other than suggesting a motive. So much else is unconfirmed or fairly speculative. Defense is bound to bring up the shady and known criminals that were known to be in the area too at the time of her disappearance and those are things I forgot about unless investigators followed those up so didn’t want to include in the arrest affidavit.
They can introduce all the shady criminals and sex offenders they want, and it doesn't change anything.

They didn't make Suzanne go dark and turn off her phone when Barry was there.

They didn't take Barry's phone outside and open his truck doors when he was "sleeping."

They didn't put Barry at the helmet location, force him to lie countless times, dump trash, and have the most ridiculous alibi I've ever seen.

Bring it defense.

Again, apologies if someone beat me to it, he wasn't at the gas station long enough to be a dump spot. There were people and cameras everywhere. At one point I think Barry says he washed his windshield. There isn't a lot of clarity as to the purpose of the gas station stop, it may literally be that he was alibiing himself for not eating at McDonalds, he got a granola bar because he doesn't eat crap food or some such.

Barry is an epic over explainer.

IMO MOO BBM

Oh ok, so he didn’t go to an actual car wash but was at a gas station and cleaned his windshield only. Answers my question as to why that stop wasn’t considered a trash drop.

All of the above is MOO.

Bike accident: obviously staged
Mountain Lion: one of the first things out of Barry's mouth was stating a mountain lion got her. Not only extremely unlikely but that an expert hunter and tracker would mention as an option does not only insult intelligence but makes him look like setting false narrative.
Suzanne ran away: found at home were her purse, credit cards, cash, driver's license and no record of her alive by use of such. She also had a medical appointment scheduled Monday May 11.
Abduction: no evidence
The staged bike and mountain lion suggestion is so damning of Barry because the staged bike required knowledge of and access to her habits and items found. The mountain lion suggestion by someone who knows better is a major red flag of deception.

This is a good theory. It would make up for the mileage on his truck. We do know he went to retrieve something from that dumpster. His head had to be all over the place. I’m glad there were workers at the market. I would like to hear how this all plays out in testimony at trial. From the beginning he had to believe that LE and the locals would completely take his word that a lion had dragged Suzanne off the bike. Then he thought he could talk his way out of everything with the investigators. From what people say, he had talked and manipulated his way through life.
I am not sure he went to retrieve anything. I do believe he was reaching for a tossed receipt to write a note on. This was Tuesday so day 2…if I recall and before fliers, banners etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu