Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:

Why did Barry hang out at the hotel all afternoon? Why didn't he just sit in his beloved truck at the wall site?

He did seem to be trying to establish a visual alibi at the hotel. See me, I'm going back and forth to my work site, with workers present.

How many times do you suppose he said that to the kid behind the desk?

He did make multiple trips. Just not to the wall. To dumpsters near enough by it.

I'm curious to know if, at the 6 pm hour, when he made a show of carrying in tools, if he'd also exited by the side door and drove his truck from the side lot to the entry.

He says he knew there were cameras everywhere (and did nothing wrong at the hotel) but IMO he thought the side lot (where he tried to slink in for the free breakfast, as if) had no cameras. He was half right. Hotel didn't. Bank did.

Busted.

JMO
I wonder if those hotel cameras which have close- ups of Barry provide images of the scratch marks on his arms? They shouldn't be there if they are.

Put him in the aquarium ,we are a zoo not a restaurant!

One zoo, one plate.

Barry uses animals for his excuses.

What would Barry do with a poached animal?

There's our answer.

Would he barry it?

Seal it in a mineshaft?

Or set a table for wildlife?

Which does he know best?

Solve that, locate her.

JMO

Last edited:
Theory, mine:

I think Barry used bromide over MDW.

I think it caused irritation. I think it left him smelling like chlorine, something he hadn't anticipated. I think HE smelled like a hot tub and didn't even realize it until his first recorded trash stop. I think bromide might also have stained his skin.

I think he parked along the side of the hotel specifically to avoid hotel cameras. Wanted to bypass the front desk because HE WAS RANK. I think, had another hotel guest unwittingly let him in (assuming Barry was a paid guest), Barry would have showered in the pool shower. How ever many times and towels it tool.

He was forced, however, to pivot. Had to come in through the front door. I'd like to see that footage. I'd like to hear his first conversation at the front desk. Accounting for his stench, if he had to.

I really don't think the hotel was supposed to feature so strongly in his day. He had evidence to discard, he had a job site he wanted to use as an alibi.

I think the hotel became a necessary detour because of, first, the need to shower repeatedly and, two, The Call was delayed.

Otherwise, I think Barry would've spent his time between the wall and trash runs. Busy, busy B. Remove a capstone, dump a bag, remove a capstone, dump a bag.

IMO it's the lather/rinse/repeat in between that messed that up.

Because IMO he planned to show up at the hotel ONCE. To leave tools. Early afternoon. Like 1.

Didn't get a lot of work done because he wasn't there long enough. As if.

Wouldn't need to adjust reservation/check-in. Show up once, having actually come from his work site.

Since IMO he was forced to get to the hotel early (to shower, over and over), he tried to use it to his advantage. Convince the person behind the desk he was working hard, back and firth to his worksite, with workers present.

I don't mean to belabor the point.

I mean to belabor bromide.

JMO

It would be interesting if LE noticed if BM's truck cab smelled like chlorine.

Just throwing this out there. I found a 6-part online tutorial series on telematics: A six-part educational video series | ZTR Control Systems, LLC
Each unit is 3 minutes long. Good for understanding the basics of how telematics are used in the industry. Episode 2 says that the SIM card is typically "permanently embedded and installed within the environmentally sealed device."

One of the reasons I was looking at this tutorial is to understand how Defense could hammer away at accuracy of data. There is a preponderance of data putting BM at the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time. Is it possible for Defense to convince the jury that the data is wildly inaccurate or inaccurate enough that they question that BM was somewhere else at a moment in time? There is just so much evidence--and multiple digital signals from different devices--that I don't think they can do it. I'm wondering, though, what others think.

Just throwing this out there. I found a 6-part online tutorial series on telematics: A six-part educational video series | ZTR Control Systems, LLC
Each unit is 3 minutes long. Good for understanding the basics of how telematics are used in the industry. Episode 2 says that the SIM card is typically "permanently embedded and installed within the environmentally sealed device."

One of the reasons I was looking at this tutorial is to understand how Defense could hammer away at accuracy of data. There is a preponderance of data putting BM at the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time. Is it possible for Defense to convince the jury that the data is wildly inaccurate or inaccurate enough that they question that BM was somewhere else at a moment in time? There is just so much evidence--and multiple digital signals from different devices--that I don't think they can do it. I'm wondering, though, what others think.

I don't think there is a problem unless something doesn't line up. For instance, if he pitched the helmet coming back from the turnaround on Hwy. 50 early on Sunday then there should be telematics data saying his window rolled down or he stopped and his door opened or some activity that would support him tossing the helmet. Without that Barry admits he turned left, turned around and headed to Broomfield because he wanted to watch the trail of the elk for shed season even if the phone or truck GPS data is slightly wonky because of triangulation. I think His GPS would place him somewhere in the area, the telematics would show the window rolling down or his door opening in an ideal prosecution situation. In my mind, if prosecution gets an expert to present the data, the data doesn't have anything conflicting with information that shows otherwise e.g. something happening when it's known through video or some other data that it couldn't possibly have happened then it will be understandable to a jury. If there are inconsistencies, then that is when defense will put up their expert who talks about the issues with the voracity of data and will introduce the evidence of the inconsistencies. For me the strength of the prosecution case is all about the telematics data and data accuracy because it is being used to support what was going on in the middle of the night and early morning and other inconsistencies in Barry's story.

If there are inconsistencies, then that is when defense will put up their expert who talks about the issues with the voracity of data and will introduce the evidence of the inconsistencies. For me the strength of the prosecution case is all about the telematics data and data accuracy because it is being used to support what was going on in the middle of the night and early morning and other inconsistencies in Barry's story.

SBM

This is what bothers me. Just looking here - Barry's Truck Events - Google Sheets, there are numerous instances of lights logged as coming on twice in a row without them ever being turned off in between (one example at line 35 and 36 while at the Morphew residence).

This doesn't give me much faith in the truck telematics. The defense could easily create doubt in the jurors minds about the voracity of data IMO.

SBM

This is what bothers me. Just looking here - Barry's Truck Events - Google Sheets, there are numerous instances of lights logged as coming on twice in a row without them ever being turned off in between (one example at line 35 and 36 while at the Morphew residence).

This doesn't give me much faith in the truck telematics. The defense could easily create doubt in the jurors minds about the voracity of data IMO.

I wonder if this has to do with the reset incident his truck logged. Did that action skew the data?

Theory, mine:

I think Barry used bromide over MDW.

I think it caused irritation. I think it left him smelling like chlorine, something he hadn't anticipated. I think HE smelled like a hot tub and didn't even realize it until his first recorded trash stop. I think bromide might also have stained his skin.

I think he parked along the side of the hotel specifically to avoid hotel cameras. Wanted to bypass the front desk because HE WAS RANK. I think, had another hotel guest unwittingly let him in (assuming Barry was a paid guest), Barry would have showered in the pool shower. How ever many times and towels it tool.

He was forced, however, to pivot. Had to come in through the front door. I'd like to see that footage. I'd like to hear his first conversation at the front desk. Accounting for his stench, if he had to.

I really don't think the hotel was supposed to feature so strongly in his day. He had evidence to discard, he had a job site he wanted to use as an alibi.

I think the hotel became a necessary detour because of, first, the need to shower repeatedly and, two, The Call was delayed.

Otherwise, I think Barry would've spent his time between the wall and trash runs. Busy, busy B. Remove a capstone, dump a bag, remove a capstone, dump a bag.

IMO it's the lather/rinse/repeat in between that messed that up.

Because IMO he planned to show up at the hotel ONCE. To leave tools. Early afternoon. Like 1.

Didn't get a lot of work done because he wasn't there long enough. As if.

Wouldn't need to adjust reservation/check-in. Show up once, having actually come from his work site.

Since IMO he was forced to get to the hotel early (to shower, over and over), he tried to use it to his advantage. Convince the person behind the desk he was working hard, back and forth to his worksite, with workers present.

I don't mean to belabor the point.

I mean to belabor bromide.

JMO

BBM

Lots of interesting things to research about bromide. I found this article from a fiction writer's blog: Methyl Bromide – An Effective Neurotoxin!

It's quite possible that BM expected a call earlier in the day. I don't think these are new questions, but I don't know the answers to any of them. Has any info been released in this regard:
1. Who organized the girls' camping trip and when was it organized?
2. Who went on the trip?
3. When were they scheduled to return?
4. Did BM know the trip details? (I ask since he didn't seem to know SM's riding habits. Perhaps he didn't pay too much attention to the details, but knew they'd be home on MD, assuming it would be early afternoon.)
5. Were the girls actually running late or was an end-of-day return what was planned?

[I am laughing at myself for spending so much time on the computer. I recently cut back my work hours significantly. I thought I'd be outside gardening. Now I'm watching telematics videos, learning about bromide, studying contour maps of Chaffee County, etc. Go figure.]

As I keep reading through these hundreds and hundreds of posts I just can’t get over how strangely incomplete Barry’s planning was.

He went to so so so so much trouble to plan a bloodless murder with no bodily evidence, how to subdue and disappear a victim without fluids or evidence, how to dispose of a body so that no trace of it is ever found. Deliberately meticulous on avoiding any trace or drop of cadaverine. Trying to hide his movements with airplane mode and erasing logs and juggling vehicles and on and on and on. I guess because he’s a hunter he so emphasized those things?

But then to watch that body cam video of when he returned from Broomfield. It boggles my mind that he appeared to not have thought through for a second how a husband should act. Even he had the 3 Hour drive from Broomfield to prepare himself. Simple questions like where’s my wife can I look for my wife can I go through the whole house have you looked everywhere.

and then in so many ways was shockingly inadequate in his alibi planning.

He actually thought he could throw her bike down a hill and insist a Mountain lion did it? He actually decided to go with that? That might be something an ignorant city slicker would think about the mountains but He’s a hunter and knows that everyone knows that. No experienced hunter would seriously suggest that an alpha predator killing machine committed a perfectly bloodless evidence free attack On a 100+ pound living fighting defensive being. That’s the most ludicrous theory in the world For a Colorado Hunter to suggest to Colorado troopers, investigators, search and rescue.

and he thought that he could vouch for 12 to 18 hours of no proof of life by merely tossing a bike and helmet down hills. That would be enough for proof of life.

and he thought heading to Broomfield and pretending to work without authorization or equipment or workers or the simplest of realistic reasons to be there would be good enough.

Somethings he obviously thought through thoroughly but other things he hardly thought about at all.

That’s what the prosecution should focus on:

There’s no body and no bodily evidence because he planned that meticulously. He even BRAGGED about having a plan beforehand!! (and tranquilizing is the key factor of how it would work. And there’s evidence of tranquilizing materials all over his house and his past and he even admits to it and he even admits to throwing tranquilizing materials away the next day. 99.9% of people don’t have any tranquilizing materials in their life.)

But the rest of it he didn’t plan meticulously at all and there’s 100 holes in all of his alibis in every direction.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a problem unless something doesn't line up. For instance, if he pitched the helmet coming back from the turnaround on Hwy. 50 early on Sunday then there should be telematics data saying his window rolled down or he stopped and his door opened or some activity that would support him tossing the helmet. Without that Barry admits he turned left, turned around and headed to Broomfield because he wanted to watch the trail of the elk for shed season even if the phone or truck GPS data is slightly wonky because of triangulation. I think His GPS would place him somewhere in the area, the telematics would show the window rolling down or his door opening in an ideal prosecution situation. In my mind, if prosecution gets an expert to present the data, the data doesn't have anything conflicting with information that shows otherwise e.g. something happening when it's known through video or some other data that it couldn't possibly have happened then it will be understandable to a jury. If there are inconsistencies, then that is when defense will put up their expert who talks about the issues with the voracity of data and will introduce the evidence of the inconsistencies. For me the strength of the prosecution case is all about the telematics data and data accuracy because it is being used to support what was going on in the middle of the night and early morning and other inconsistencies in Barry's story.

BBM

I occasionally have a good chuckle by re-reading my own typos. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who occasionally mis-types. I'm pretty sure "voracity of data" should be "veracity of data". Oh, what a difference a single keystroke makes. ;)

SBM

I'm not sure what the source of this Google Sheet is since it is not identified anywhere on the document. I also don't know much about how telematics work, but it occurs to me after viewing the data on the Google sheet that the telematics may only report those events that an operator initiates, but not what occurs automatically. For example, in my own vehicle, my lights turn on automatically when I place the vehicle into gear and my doors automatically lock when I reach a certain speed. I don't know if my own vehicle telematics would record those events which are designed to and do occur automatically.

Applying this thinking to your example of lines 35 and 36:

It may be that sometime before 8:48 PM the truck was put into gear to "Drive" and the parking lights automatically turned ON (an automatic event that perhaps isn't recorded by telematics so isn't represented here) and then the operator manually turned the parking lights OFF at 8:48PM (an operator-initiated event that is recorded by telematics). Then, sometime before 9:25PM, the truck was again switched into "Drive" gear so that the parking lights automatically turned on again (not recorded by telematics) and the operator manually turned them off at 9:25PM (recorded by telematics).

BBM

I occasionally have a good chuckle by re-reading my own typos. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who occasionally mis-types. I'm pretty sure "voracity of data" should be "veracity of data". Oh, what a difference a single keystroke makes. ;)
Ha ha so true - I am often a typo person in this case I was probably feeling voratious when I typed voracity instead of veracity LOL.

This must have been a lot of work. Thanks @sk716 .

Maybe I don't understand these logs correctly. I just happened to notice one section where the truck was logged at the George Davis residence and the times don't make sense to me. (Sorry can't copy the section but it's line 8 through 13 here - Barry's Truck Events - Google Sheets).

His parking lights go off at GD's on May 7th at 23:13:31. I assume he just arrived and turned off his lights? He's there for 18 seconds and his parking lights come on again. 2 minutes and 57 seconds later, back at the GD residence, the lights again turn off but come back on 2 seconds later. Did he leave for a few minutes and then come back turn his lights off and on?

Then the next day on May 8th, the log shows his lights come on at 20:13:26 at the GD residence. So does that mean the truck was parked at the GD property overnight and in to the afternoon? Why is there no mention off his lights going off the previous night? Sorry if I'm dense, I've never really understood the telematics but I'm trying. (I am assuming his parking lights come on when the truck starts. Maybe I'm wrong to assume that idk.)

Am I interpreting this correctly? Anyone?

(Also line 8 and 10 seem to be almost duplicates.)

There is a LOT of obviously missing data, but since what were working with came from the defense, we have to work with what we got and maybe figure out what they don't want us to see. The Systems Log Events presents a slightly clearer timeline (they line up) without the excess. I've got door events next, I expect it'll be as wild as the Parking Lights section had been. There are many entries that whatever Barry did happened so fast that it logs nearly duplicate data under the same timestamp. I'm sure I've still got a few conversion artifacts, but I believe that the dates and GPS are correct.

I wonder if the "parking lights" are basically a proxy for "power on" - so you click the unlock button on the fob, and the lights flash on?

It's a possibility I hadn't considered but might account for some of the extra parking light events. When I make it to the gear events I'll see if that lines up correctly.

As I keep reading through these hundreds and hundreds of posts I just can’t get over how strangely incomplete Barry’s planning was.

He went to so so so so much trouble to plan a bloodless murder with no bodily evidence, how to subdue and disappear a victim without fluids or evidence, how to dispose of a body so that no trace of it is ever found. Deliberately meticulous on avoiding any trace or drop of cadaverine. Trying to hide his movements with airplane mode and erasing logs and juggling vehicles and on and on and on. I guess because he’s a hunter he so emphasized those things?

But then to watch that body cam video of when he returned from Broomfield. It boggles my mind that he appeared to not have thought through for a second how a husband should act. Even he had the 3 Hour drive from Broomfield to prepare himself. Simple questions like where’s my wife can I look for my wife can I go through the whole house have you looked everywhere.

and then in so many ways was shockingly inadequate in his alibi planning.

He actually thought he could throw her bike down a hill and insist a Mountain lion did it? He actually decided to go with that? That might be something an ignorant city slicker would think about the mountains but He’s a hunter and knows that everyone knows that. No experienced hunter would seriously suggest that an alpha predator killing machine committed a perfectly bloodless evidence free attack On a 100+ pound living fighting defensive being. That’s the most ludicrous theory in the world For a Colorado Hunter to suggest to Colorado troopers, investigators, search and rescue.

and he thought that he could vouch for 12 to 18 hours of no proof of life by merely tossing a bike and helmet down hills. That would be enough for proof of life.

and he thought heading to Broomfield and pretending to work without authorization or equipment or workers or the simplest of realistic reasons to be there would be good enough.

Somethings he obviously thought through thoroughly but other things he hardly thought about at all.

That’s what the prosecution should focus on:

There’s no body and no bodily evidence because he planned that meticulously. He even BRAGGED about having a plan beforehand!! (and tranquilizing is the key factor of how it would work. And there’s evidence of tranquilizing materials all over his house and his past and he even admits to it and he even admits to throwing tranquilizing materials away the next day. 99.9% of people don’t have any tranquilizing materials in their life.)

But the rest of it he didn’t plan meticulously at all and there’s 100 holes in all of his alibis in every direction.
Barry was the last human being that Suzanne ever saw or spoke to.....He has no alibi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm