Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
all three of those cases at least had a crime scene found. This one doesn’t. I can’t think of any examples of a no body case guilty verdict without a crime scene, witness, confession or video. At least in the US.

I vaguely remember an Australian case where a footballer was convicted of killing his missing wife decades after she went missing without any of the above, but has it happened in the US?

IMO

I don't want to go through all of these by myself to see if one exists.

List of murder convictions without a body - Wikipedia

Ha ha so true - I am often a typo person in this case I was probably feeling voratious when I typed voracity instead of veracity LOL.

And I just got a message from a friend vacationing in the Virgin Islands. She mentioned the "infidelity pool". I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be "infinity pool", but you never know...

I don't want to go through all of these by myself to see if one exists.

List of murder convictions without a body - Wikipedia
It would be even better to find any cases with no forensic evidence and no body. But I'm not sure "odds" is the way to gauge the success of this trial. Long ago the only one I could find was Cal Harris and quite a few uncanny similarities. Here's the Wikipedia synopsis for anyone interested: Disappearance of Michele Anne Harris - Wikipedia

As I keep reading through these hundreds and hundreds of posts I just can’t get over how strangely incomplete Barry’s planning was.

He went to so so so so much trouble to plan a bloodless murder with no bodily evidence, how to subdue and disappear a victim without fluids or evidence, how to dispose of a body so that no trace of it is ever found. Deliberately meticulous on avoiding any trace or drop of cadaverine. Trying to hide his movements with airplane mode and erasing logs and juggling vehicles and on and on and on. I guess because he’s a hunter he so emphasized those things?

But then to watch that body cam video of when he returned from Broomfield. It boggles my mind that he appeared to not have thought through for a second how a husband should act. Even he had the 3 Hour drive from Broomfield to prepare himself. Simple questions like where’s my wife can I look for my wife can I go through the whole house have you looked everywhere.

and then in so many ways was shockingly inadequate in his alibi planning.

He actually thought he could throw her bike down a hill and insist a Mountain lion did it? He actually decided to go with that? That might be something an ignorant city slicker would think about the mountains but He’s a hunter and knows that everyone knows that. No experienced hunter would seriously suggest that an alpha predator killing machine committed a perfectly bloodless evidence free attack On a 100+ pound living fighting defensive being. That’s the most ludicrous theory in the world For a Colorado Hunter to suggest to Colorado troopers, investigators, search and rescue.

and he thought that he could vouch for 12 to 18 hours of no proof of life by merely tossing a bike and helmet down hills. That would be enough for proof of life.

and he thought heading to Broomfield and pretending to work without authorization or equipment or workers or the simplest of realistic reasons to be there would be good enough.

Somethings he obviously thought through thoroughly but other things he hardly thought about at all.

That’s what the prosecution should focus on:

There’s no body and no bodily evidence because he planned that meticulously. He even BRAGGED about having a plan beforehand!! (and tranquilizing is the key factor of how it would work. And there’s evidence of tranquilizing materials all over his house and his past and he even admits to it and he even admits to throwing tranquilizing materials away the next day. 99.9% of people don’t have any tranquilizing materials in their life.)

But the rest of it he didn’t plan meticulously at all and there’s 100 holes in all of his alibis in every direction.

BBM.

I think the reason he tried to force the mountain lion theory down everyone's throat is to throw off just how excellent of a hunter he actually is.

His subconscious was trying to downplay his hunting skills, because he knew that's exactly what he did to Suzanne.

Barry was playing dumb.

Two thoughts (to fill in some of the gaps):

Maybe:

Barry was driving multiple vehicles. Friend's truck?

Barry wasn't at the beachsite Saturday morning. MG was. Working for him. He was there, but only by phone.

JMO

Info dump:

On May 9, 2020 at 6:46 AM, Barry’s phone was taken out of airplane mode. (Your affiant knows that airplane mode is a setting available on smartphones and other portable devices. When activated, this mode suspends the device’s signal transmission technologies like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, effectively disabling all voice, text and phone services. GPS may or may not be disabled.)

On May 9, 2020, from 7:22AM to 7:39AM, Barry’s phone registered locations at his “Tailwinds” work site near Poncha Springs. During that time, Suzanne’s phone exchanged messages with her friend, Sheila Oliver (7:35 AM), and Greg Fisher accepted her Facebook friends request (7:30 AM).41
“Morgan stated on May 8, 2020, Barry picked her up from Anytime Fitness, 9985 HWY 50, Poncha Springs, CO. They traveled to a job site at 6962 County Road (CR) 105, Salida. They arrived at around 8:00AM, completed a “rock beach” project and left. At around 11:00 AM, Barry took her back to her vehicle by Anytime Fitness, paid her in cash for the job, and left. Morgan stated that Barry mentioned he was going to go hiking or biking.”

Barry’s phone continued to receive messages from Suzanne’s phone and send messages to her phone while he remained at the CR 105 site until 9:37 AM.

I think MG has terrible time sense. Barry's truck says he's at RM's behind Tailwinds at 10:15. I'm going to posit that they left CR 105 closer to this text:

On May 9, 2020, at 9:50AM, Suzanne’s texted Barry, “Want to hike?”

So that would have Barry leaving MG at Anytime Fitness at 10 instead of 11.

BBM.

I think the reason he tried to force the mountain lion theory down everyone's throat is to throw off just how excellent of a hunter he actually is.

His subconscious was trying to downplay his hunting skills, because he knew that's exactly what he did to Suzanne.

Barry was playing dumb.
his hunting excellence was on full display when he mentioned on multiple occasions how a mountain lion drags its prey "up" a mountain. Only Barry's lions do that...the rest? Well, they are an inferior species which drags its larger game down....not up.

I wonder if this has to do with the reset incident his truck logged. Did that action skew the data?

Several of us believe he pulled a fuse under the dash in an attempt to disable SYNC and GPS data. It is registered in the truck events as Power Removal Event. This doesn't appear on the data we have from the defense. All of the truck data that we have available, came from the defense side and is therefore suspect as to it's presentation. We do not know what parameters were used to print these results that are honestly super freaking random when you look at them.

I'm not sure what the source of this Google Sheet is since it is not identified anywhere on the document. I also don't know much about how telematics work, but it occurs to me after viewing the data on the Google sheet that the telematics may only report those events that an operator initiates, but not what occurs automatically. For example, in my own vehicle, my lights turn on automatically when I place the vehicle into gear and my doors automatically lock when I reach a certain speed. I don't know if my own vehicle telematics would record those events which are designed to and do occur automatically.

Applying this thinking to your example of lines 35 and 36:

It may be that sometime before 8:48 PM the truck was put into gear to "Drive" and the parking lights automatically turned ON (an automatic event that perhaps isn't recorded by telematics so isn't represented here) and then the operator manually turned the parking lights OFF at 8:48PM (an operator-initiated event that is recorded by telematics). Then, sometime before 9:25PM, the truck was again switched into "Drive" gear so that the parking lights automatically turned on again (not recorded by telematics) and the operator manually turned them off at 9:25PM (recorded by telematics).

http://www./the-defenses-exhibits-preliminary-hearing/

I have to admire Eytan for putting the spin on that Green Dot account. Eytan calls it secret and implies there's something very shady about it. Safe bet is that Suzanne took SO's wise advice to start putting a little money aside for when she left BM. Not very mysterious at all, except maybe news to BM. Do we know how much money was in the account?

How many accounts did BM have that Suzanne didn't know about? I would find that much more mysterious and possibly shady.

MOO

I have to admire Eytan for putting the spin on that Green Dot account. Eytan calls it secret and implies there's something very shady about it. Safe bet is that Suzanne took SO's wise advice to start putting a little money aside for when she left BM. Not very mysterious at all, except maybe news to BM. Do we know how much money was in the account?

How many accounts did BM have that Suzanne didn't know about? I would find that much more mysterious and possibly shady.

MOO

Oh she is a master. I both love and loathe it.

MOO
I think the only one in his name-only that is known is the one that Suzanne had in her grievances...the commodities account with Monex. But like all things it could be speculated he had an account(s) LE did not find through their searches.

Barry Morphew investigator said his arrest was "premature" | 9news.com

[According to the court documents obtained by 9NEWS, Mophew’s defense attorneys write that former Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Agent Joseph Cahill “stated the case was not remotely ready for anybody to move the case forward.”

The comments were reportedly made during a Dec. 2, 2021, Internal Affairs interview conducted by CBI after Cahill accidentally fired his weapon and struck his own hand while at home and off duty.]

[The attorneys, Iris Eytan and Hollis Whitson, argue in the motion that “had the withheld information been available at the Preliminary Hearing, it is certain that probable cause would not have been found.”]

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1498725744997928961?s=21

NEW: Attorneys for #BarryMorphew file motion to dismiss the case saying one of the lead investigators at the time of his arrest thought that bringing him in was "...premature and the worst decision that could be made." CBI investigator Joseph Cahill was taken off the case in Sept

Barry Morphew investigator said his arrest was "premature" | 9news.com

The defense’s motion also says that two of Cahill’s former supervisors, CBI Deputy Director Chris Schaefer and Agent Kemper, spoke with Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze about the concerns expressed to them by Cahill and the other agent investigating the case, Agent Derek Graham.

“Mr. Cahill stated that Sheriff Spezze did not heed CBI’s advice or opinions and moved forward with Mr. Morphew’s arrest. Mr. Cahill summed up by saying it ‘is what it is,’ ” the defense writes in the motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMEAMG