Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Momofthreeboys I believe early on it was established that JL had a solid alibi for wherever he was that weekend.

I'm intrigued by the coffee/poison idea -- all along I've been considering ways in which she could have been tranquilized/poisoned OTHER than being shot with the dart. Or perhaps drugged just enough to allow BM to walk up and manually dart her without giving her a chance to run.

I do think it's possible SM might have been planning an earlier ride that Sunday due to the wedding, if she was going to ride at all, but I no longer think she might have intended to ride straight from home due to the gravel and steepness combination of the development's roads.

[and when I say 'planning' I mean in advance -- clearly she wasn't alive on Sunday morning to make those decisions]

I still think BM's claim that she asked him to take the bike out of her vehicle is a lie intended to cover for his fingerprints/DNA being found on the bike -- if she rode every day or even every other day, wouldn't it be most efficient to leave the bike in the vehicle most of the time in between rides?

Last edited:
The "bike ride" has to be done away with immediately. If there is one juror who believes that happened, that is reasonable doubt.

I think the bodycam footage is enough to show that she didn't wreck right there. The bike ride happened the same day they found it.. like less than 12 hours later. No signs of breaking, skidding on the road above, no messed up grass where she landed or tried to get out of the area, no footprints on the road and really did she walk almost a mile on the main road away from her house with her helmet and then toss it? I don't see that being viable. If someone took her, there would be signs of the struggle somewhere also.

The fact Barry went toward the area of the dumped bike before he was supposed to be awake that day and then admitted he drove past where her helmet was found is also going to be hard to overcome with the other evidence that she didn't ride her bike.

I don't see how any juror could conclude she did ride her bike.

Nothing was normal that morning. No check in with her BFF who had a daughter getting married, no check in with her daughters who were traveling home, no cell evidence since 430am that day when Barry admits he was still home and saw her sleeping. No way she rode her bike without her phone or water and then just disappeared. If she wrecked bad enough that she was disoriented and didn't know where she was, there would be blood, signs of grass being disturbed and matted down, footprints walking away, etc.

I also feel pretty sure that tracking dogs would have picked up her scent if she wrecked and was laying somehow down near the bike and then got up and wandered off toward her bike helmet location and then continued on.. and that road is heavily traveled. Why didn't a single person see a disoriented woman walking the road with a bike helmet? She would have been riding when it was daylight. It just does not add up any way we look at it.

Since we have alittle over a month until trial and have for the most part discussed the prosecution case here’s some things I have thought about. The coffee cup…did it get tested for dna or the leftover cup for poison? Did LE find out if Suzanne still had a port that needed to be cleaned? Did LE get alibis for the people at the RV park? What happened to the guy that got arrested - was he interviewed or deported? Was Suzanne loading her bike Sunday morning since she couldn’t ride that afternoon because of the wedding or was she in the habit of leaving her purse in the car? Why did Barry’s truck not show the activities early in the morning like a window rolling down or a door opening to allegedly toss a helmet? Was JL in Salida or why did Suzanne say those days were wonderful leading up to the activities preceding her disappearance? How much money was in her secret accounts? How accurate is the telematics data? In addition to shift in weak cell areas how accurate is the data- it is Sunday and I just got 3 voicemails come into my phone today that were from Thursday…not unusual. There are probably more and not all may be answered but they are questions I have that might come into trial.
Pages 19 and 20
https://www.courts.state.co.us/user.../21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

JL’s phone and credit card activity place him in Michigan from May 7 - May 11.

Who is the guy you’re referencing that was arrested and perhaps deported?

Attachments

• EB8E8EDC-2455-4983-9D9A-E1EAD6340538.jpeg
    EB8E8EDC-2455-4983-9D9A-E1EAD6340538.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 0BAB67C8-FB20-4D49-8D8B-3E484CA6D3F9.jpeg
    0BAB67C8-FB20-4D49-8D8B-3E484CA6D3F9.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20
I keep thinking about Suzanne's last photo. We know it was taken with JL in mind, with her eyes on a new chapter. She likely felt the most "Suzanne" she'd felt in a long time --

Radiant. Relaxed. Desired. Natural. Unforced. Sexy. Unfiltered. Genuine.

It's striking that that photo elicits something in all of us -- but only one person HATES that photo, so much so that he couldn't hold back. On that perfect day they had sharing that one steak, one plate and one brown towel, that day Suzanne had no chemicals in her (wait! What? Stop the irony bus. Complaining about Suzanne's chemical consumption, which was a gross mischaracterization, while filling a tranq dart with nothing other than chemicals? Seems like ONLY ONE PERSON filled Suzanne with drugs. And it wasn't CBD guy) but on that perfect day, now she was simultaneously on a 4 day drug and alcohol bender... and had no chemicals in her...

I just can't get past his reaction to that photo, in the context of her having been missing. No catch in his throat noted. No grief, no gasp to see the love of his life, the mother of his children. Just venom.

It makes me so sad that, when Suzanne said she was done, she meant she was done being married to him.

And when she said she was done, he was done too. With her.

He said it himself. He throws things away. Done it his whole life. 100%.

People don't know the truth. IMO he's just an angry human being. Angry she wanted out. Angry he had to stop her. Angry she was no longer useful to him. So he did what he always does, his whole life. With the same disconnect he shows wildlife.

Hunters hunt. Killers kill.

Watch his video again. Listen to his words.

Oh, Suzanne, look at what you made me do.

"We just want you back." He cleared that up later. Even if she came back, he said, she didn't want him. So...

I suspect he didn't finish his sentence.

We just want you back the old way.

He put a stop to the new way.

Hard stop.

Love of his life! I daresay he hated Suzanne that day. No way was he going to lose her AND money.

JMO

I put OP Q’s in bullet point b/c it was easier to address for me/my thoughts in red
  • The coffee cup…did it get tested for dna or the leftover cup for poison? See Ashley Franco’s tweet below also it is probably mentioned elsewhere if OP searches
  • Did LE find out if Suzanne still had a port that needed to be cleaned? No one has mentioned a port but OP as far as I remember
  • Did LE get alibis for the people at the RV park? Might be searchable in AA /or other info
  • What happened to the guy that got arrested - was he interviewed or deported? Referring to who/when regarding this case?
  • Was Suzanne loading her bike Sunday morning since she couldn’t ride that afternoon because of the wedding or was she in the habit of leaving her purse in the car? My assumption is that the bike purse etc were already loaded for her to go biking on Saturday afternoon but Barry killed her before she went - maybe all left from her last excursion. But remember Barry takes the bike out of her car for her Saturday, per BM, b/c she has plans to ride Sunday am - ostensibly on a trail she does not ride on, at a time of day she also does not ride. AKA the alibi
  • Why did Barry’s truck not show the activities early in the morning like a window rolling down or a door opening to allegedly toss a helmet? We only have that telematic info from the D so hard to say if shows all the activity- have to wait and see
  • Was JL in Salida LOL if JL was in Salida the D squad would have been all over that information like rats to garbage! or why did Suzanne say those days were wonderful leading up to the activities preceding her disappearance? By finally telling BM they were done, a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders. She was no longer going to have to live a lie and play pretend. And she actually thought he was on board and was going to be civil – she texts him about how she will still help with invoicing and they discuss houses – she lets her sister know what’s going on.She felt she could finally see a path to a future ahead without BM and she was HAPPY to get to the “moving on” part - She had been in limbo for so long – especially feeling powerless to move forward due to illness and his threat to cancel her health insurance iirc. Sadly and cruelly, he Killed her before she could make her next life chapter a reality.
  • How much money was in her secret accounts? Should be searchable in AA or other info – I believe we have seen the amounts –
  • How accurate is the telematics data? In addition to shift in weak cell areas how accurate is the data- it is Sunday and I just got 3 voicemails come into my phone today that were from Thursday…not unusual. We don’t even know if we have all the telematics detail/info. At trial this should become clearer
  • There are probably more and not all may be answered but they are questions I have that might come into trial.

From the media thread for this case re the COFFEE CUP – Ashley Franco reporting
Agent Duge on the stand talking about dna

She's going through things they have tested including #SuzanneMorphew car, the Morphew home, a mug left on the counter. She talks about how they get prior owners from home and car to submit DNA to be ruled out in case.

@KKTV11News
#BarryMorphew

1:58 PM · Nov 9, 2021·

• Did LE get alibis for the people at the RV park? Might be searchable in AA /or other info
From the Denver Channel:

Search and Rescue crews combed the area near U.S. Highway 50 and Chaffee County Road 225 Sunday evening, and again Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

According to a news release posted on the sheriff's office Facebook page, "more than 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, the Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area."

Numerous drones were used to assist in the search.

Eight different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections, and from Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife and a Swiftwater Rescue Team searched area watersheds, and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions over the area, but Morphew has yet to be located.
Nearby residents said they were heartened to hear that a tip line was being set up.

"It's just very concerning," said Jennifer Caskey, a resident of the Monarch Spur RV Park. "We do have a lot of wildlife in the area, so it's concerning that she's been gone for so long now, but we're praying."

Her husband, Lynn, said the mountain trails seem like they're pretty safe, so it just makes me wonder about the wildlife.

One new resident, Serena Bridge, said she'd been "a little freaked out about the COVID pandemic" and is even more concerned now that a local woman is missing.

Many residents in the RV park said they're willing to volunteer for a search, if needed.

It never explicitly says LE talked to the RV park residents, but the press sure did.

From the Denver Channel:

Search and Rescue crews combed the area near U.S. Highway 50 and Chaffee County Road 225 Sunday evening, and again Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

According to a news release posted on the sheriff's office Facebook page, "more than 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, the Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area."

Numerous drones were used to assist in the search.

Eight different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections, and from Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife and a Swiftwater Rescue Team searched area watersheds, and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions over the area, but Morphew has yet to be located.
Nearby residents said they were heartened to hear that a tip line was being set up.

"It's just very concerning," said Jennifer Caskey, a resident of the Monarch Spur RV Park. "We do have a lot of wildlife in the area, so it's concerning that she's been gone for so long now, but we're praying."

Her husband, Lynn, said the mountain trails seem like they're pretty safe, so it just makes me wonder about the wildlife.

One new resident, Serena Bridge, said she'd been "a little freaked out about the COVID pandemic" and is even more concerned now that a local woman is missing.

Many residents in the RV park said they're willing to volunteer for a search, if needed.

It never explicitly says LE talked to the RV park residents, but the press sure did.

Thanks @sk716 - Just to add :

Other searches have taken place in a reservoir, an area around County Road 225 and Highway 50, and the Monarch Spur RV Park, which is owned by Fred Porter and located near the Morphew home.

“It’s suspicious to me. I don’t know happened, nor does anyone else. Hopefully they will find her alive,” said Porter.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Husband's Job Site Near Salida

I suspect, that any search of the RV Park included speaking with the residents. Since LE was being so tight lipped about the investigation, I am not surprised we don't know a heck of a lot about what the residents had to say. IMO I believe you can bet that if LE did not speak to them that the D would have brought that up in the prelim. We shall see!

I keep thinking about Suzanne's last photo. We know it was taken with JL in mind, with her eyes on a new chapter. She likely felt the most "Suzanne" she'd felt in a long time --

It's striking that that photo elicits something in all of us -- but only one person HATES that photo, so much so that he couldn't hold back. On that perfect day they had sharing that one steak, one plate and one brown towel, that day Suzanne had no chemicals in her (wait! What? Stop the irony bus. Complaining about Suzanne's chemical consumption, which was a gross mischaracterization, while filling a tranq dart with nothing other than chemicals? Seems like ONLY ONE PERSON filled Suzanne with drugs. And it wasn't CBD guy) but on that perfect day, now she was simultaneously on a 4 day drug and alcohol bender... and had no chemicals in her...

I just can't get past his reaction to that photo, in the context of her having been missing. No catch in his throat noted. No grief, no gasp to see the love of his life, the mother of his children. Just venom.

It makes me so sad that, when Suzanne said she was done, she meant she was done being married to him.

People don't know the truth. IMO he's just an angry human being. Angry she wanted out. Angry he had to stop her. Angry she was no longer useful to him. So he did what he always does, his whole life. With the same disconnect he shows wildlife.

"We just want you back." He cleared that up later. Even if she came back, he said, she didn't want him. So...

Hard stop.

Love of his life! I daresay he hated Suzanne that day. No way was he going to lose her AND money.

JMO
BBM @Megnut - the bolded text above, to me are the prosecution's closer after of course the summation - excellent Megnut !!!

I put OP Q’s in bullet point b/c it was easier to address for me/my thoughts in red
  • The coffee cup…did it get tested for dna or the leftover cup for poison? See Ashley Franco’s tweet below also it is probably mentioned elsewhere if OP searches
  • Did LE find out if Suzanne still had a port that needed to be cleaned? No one has mentioned a port but OP as far as I remember
  • What happened to the guy that got arrested - was he interviewed or deported? Referring to who/when regarding this case?
  • Was Suzanne loading her bike Sunday morning since she couldn’t ride that afternoon because of the wedding or was she in the habit of leaving her purse in the car? My assumption is that the bike purse etc were already loaded for her to go biking on Saturday afternoon but Barry killed her before she went - maybe all left from her last excursion. But remember Barry takes the bike out of her car for her Saturday, per BM, b/c she has plans to ride Sunday am - ostensibly on a trail she does not ride on, at a time of day she also does not ride. AKA the alibi
  • Why did Barry’s truck not show the activities early in the morning like a window rolling down or a door opening to allegedly toss a helmet? We only have that telematic info from the D so hard to say if shows all the activity- have to wait and see
  • Was JL in Salida LOL if JL was in Salida the D squad would have been all over that information like rats to garbage! or why did Suzanne say those days were wonderful leading up to the activities preceding her disappearance? By finally telling BM they were done, a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders. She was no longer going to have to live a lie and play pretend. And she actually thought he was on board and was going to be civil – she texts him about how she will still help with invoicing and they discuss houses – she lets her sister know what’s going on.She felt she could finally see a path to a future ahead without BM and she was HAPPY to get to the “moving on” part - She had been in limbo for so long – especially feeling powerless to move forward due to illness and his threat to cancel her health insurance iirc. Sadly and cruelly, he Killed her before she could make her next life chapter a reality.
  • How much money was in her secret accounts? Should be searchable in AA or other info – I believe we have seen the amounts –
  • How accurate is the telematics data? In addition to shift in weak cell areas how accurate is the data- it is Sunday and I just got 3 voicemails come into my phone today that were from Thursday…not unusual. We don’t even know if we have all the telematics detail/info. At trial this should become clearer
  • There are probably more and not all may be answered but they are questions I have that might come into trial.
From the media thread for this case re the COFFEE CUP – Ashley Franco reporting
Agent Duge on the stand talking about dna

She's going through things they have tested including #SuzanneMorphew car, the Morphew home, a mug left on the counter. She talks about how they get prior owners from home and car to submit DNA to be ruled out in case.

@KKTV11News
#BarryMorphew

1:58 PM · Nov 9, 2021·
Thanks for the coffee cup update as it has always bothered me.

Mineshaft, lion's den, burial pod -- I still can't rule out PP.

Who would know the status of Barry's ongoing landscaping progress? Who would pay attention?

If Barry was HUNTING Friday night for the sole purpose of having a fresh kill, who's to say he didn't have a suitable grave already waiting? Just a yawning cavity amid his rock piling....

Or that he didn't create one overnight on Saturday.

A grave with tiny Suzanne and a larger deer, with some lime and quikrete and a marinade of bromide, covered with river rock and soil, back filled and secured by driveway peatrock or even just a manmade ring of rock, in keeping with the work he had actually been doing would be virtually undetectable.

How long would that take? Would he even need the Bobcat? Did he have a load of dirt/gravel/rock on his trailer? Did he wheelbarrow it and backfill a grave by hand? Good, old-fashioned, back-breaking hard work, minus the good?

Consider: if Barry killed Suzanne close to 2:47, by 2:47am, cadaverine would be a factor. Perhaps Barry set her aside while he prepared his site. A cooler comes to mind.

If Barry handled human remains after even midnight IMO, he may have unwittingky transfered cadaverine. I am convinced he also handled bromide. The reddish brown stains, the smell of chlorine. So it was either to cleanse himself or it was an integral part in throwing off scenters.

Barry's discomfort, diversionary tactics and faulty disclosure (two mines, not three. Sealed, but straight down) about mines make me suspicious --

I'm just not sure he would have needed four or five hours for that.

IMO whatever he was doing was labor intensive.

And IMO he was very close to home while doing it.

JMO

Mineshaft, lion's den, burial pod -- I still can't rule out PP.

Who would know the status of Barry's ongoing landscaping progress? Who would pay attention?

If Barry was HUNTING Friday night for the sole purpose of having a fresh kill, who's to say he didn't have a suitable grave already waiting? Just a yawning cavity amid his rock piling....

Or that he didn't create one overnight on Saturday.

A grave with tiny Suzanne and a larger deer, with some lime and quikrete and a marinade of bromide, covered with river rock and soil, back filled and secured by driveway peatrock or even just a manmade ring of rock, in keeping with the work he had actually been doing would be virtually undetectable.

How long would that take? Would he even need the Bobcat? Did he have a load of dirt/gravel/rock on his trailer? Did he wheelbarrow it and backfill a grave by hand? Good, old-fashioned, back-breaking hard work, minus the good?

Consider: if Barry killed Suzanne close to 2:47, by 2:47am, cadaverine would be a factor. Perhaps Barry set her aside while he prepared his site. A cooler comes to mind.

If Barry handled human remains after even midnight IMO, he may have unwittingky transfered cadaverine. I am convinced he also handled bromide. The reddish brown stains, the smell of chlorine. So it was either to cleanse himself or it was an integral part in throwing off scenters.

Barry's discomfort, diversionary tactics and faulty disclosure (two mines, not three. Sealed, but straight down) about mines make me suspicious --

I'm just not sure he would have needed four or five hours for that.

IMO whatever he was doing was labor intensive.

And IMO he was very close to home while doing it.

JMO
I'm one of those that thinks Suzanne is very close to home. Maybe not directly on the PP property but not far away. With BM's "cushy" (no pun intended) arrangement with the Cushmans, not to mention SD was likely their cleaning lady, I wouldn't mind having a look at their landscaping. Boulders perhaps?? I could see Bare predigging a hole not too far away, throwing the dirt on his trailer so he doesn't have a mess next to the hole and then coming back and putting SM in and then shovelling the dirt in and topping it off with a nice boulder. He's good at that. I think that's all he's good at.:mad:

I'm one of those that thinks Suzanne is very close to home. Maybe not directly on the PP property but not far away. With BM's "cushy" (no pun intended) arrangement with the Cushmans, not to mention SD was likely their cleaning lady, I wouldn't mind having a look at their landscaping. Boulders perhaps?? I could see Bare predigging a hole not too far away, throwing the dirt on his trailer so he doesn't have a mess next to the hole and then coming back and putting SM in and then shovelling the dirt in and topping it off with a nice boulder. He's good at that. I think that's all he's good at.:mad:

I also believe Suzanne is close by.
From what I've read murderers often revert to familiar methods and familiar burial spots.
Barry was braggadociously (word?) proud that he could hide a body well and since digging holes is his specialty it makes sense that Suzanne is deep inside a pre-dug one.

I would also expect him to want to revisit the gravesite so I hope LE knows every place within a few miles that he's even paused his evil rear end!

We know Suzanne was in the final stages of her cancer treatment/recovery.

Is there any chance she still had a port in her body? Might that have been the way Barry delivered the tranquilizer ?

Just think out loud..

JMO

Hard stop.

JMO
Your post is so eloquent and on point.

BBM
"I keep thinking about Suzanne's last photo. We know it was taken with JL in mind, with her eyes on a new chapter. She likely felt the most "Suzanne" she'd felt in a long time --
Radiant. Relaxed. Desired. Natural. Unforced. Sexy. Unfiltered. Genuine."

And yet Barry tried to demean her obvious joy in that photo by describing her as being physically drunk.

Yes she was drunk, but she was drunk in love and hope.

JMO

Hard stop.

JMO
Regarding BM’s reaction to that photo and his saying SM looks drunk.
I looked at the AA for his statements.
https://www.courts.state.co.us/user.../21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf

On May 13, 2020 ( page 19) he says that it was the best night in a long time because there were no chemicals in SM.
Perfectly normal, perfectly fine.

On May 21, 2020 ( page 22) he says he paid no attention to whether or not she was drinking because he ‘wanted to have a good night”.

On June 3, 2020( page 25) he says there was no alcohol in her because he asked her not to.

On February 28, 2021 ( page 70) he is shown the photo she sent to JL on May 9 and immediately says she looks drunk.

On March 5, 2021 (page 81) he says that he ‘ thought’ her mind was altered when he came home Saturday afternoon but he didn’t oppose it
THAT DAY because if she had done something to “ take the edge off “ it would make for a better night FOR HIM.

Oh how his statements changed on this subject.

Attachments

• 576644C0-5CC5-4717-8BBF-8BE71AC5124A.jpeg
    576644C0-5CC5-4717-8BBF-8BE71AC5124A.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1A6A7EF8-50CD-4D01-B8CA-2C77C99E6F62.jpeg
    1A6A7EF8-50CD-4D01-B8CA-2C77C99E6F62.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 9
  • D9E0C5EE-3B42-40CE-B391-7C4971771DB0.jpeg
    D9E0C5EE-3B42-40CE-B391-7C4971771DB0.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3A8D8751-878A-4538-B033-2EF7F3C809C5.jpeg
    3A8D8751-878A-4538-B033-2EF7F3C809C5.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 82747DBE-BD7A-41B9-A93A-A73802422441.jpeg
    82747DBE-BD7A-41B9-A93A-A73802422441.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
Please forgive me for not remembering.
On Mother's Day, were Suzanne's texts and voicemails unread/unlistened to that day - as still just notifications on the screen to open each individually?
Or were they accessed and read/listened to individually, yet just not responded to?

I think the bodycam footage is enough to show that she didn't wreck right there. The bike ride happened the same day they found it.. like less than 12 hours later. RSBM

It's gotten late and I've been traumatized by recent revelations in the Abby and Libby case which could cause me not to understand this statement, if so, my apologies:

"The bike ride happened the same day they found it."

Suzanne did not take a "bike ride" on Mother's Day. I don't think she took one on Saturday either because she was throttled by an evil, cruel, terrorizing, greedy, punishing BM on Saturday afternoon.

At the risk of being repetitive: There was no "bike ride."

It’s taken me months, but I’ve finally caught up to y’all. Thank you for all you do here for Suzanne and others!
The only thing I have to say is that I hope the DA has their ish together when the trial starts. As others have said, we know more from reading the AA, they really need to present his lies in a concise manner. I can’t see how he can walk with all of the circumstantial evidence and lies together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801