Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relative to the Bobcat being part of this case discussion, from my own notes, I placed significant weight on K9 hits on the flatbed trailer based on both how quickly the dog search was conducted from the date SM was reported missing, and also because the K9 handlers were by NecroSearch.

Today, I think a reasonable explanation could possibly include BM resting a contained SM on top of the flatbed parked in the PP driveway before transferring the contained body to whatever transport was used by BM (RR?). Surveillance of BM discarding what's believed a tree container during the Broomfield trash runs is in evidence.

As provided in the AA, I've also concluded that the Bobcat was not used by BM on or about May 9 to disappear SM. (And if ever used for advance site prep, use would have predated SM's disappearance).

I'm now seeing both a crafty and overthinking (i..e., consciousness of guilt) BM.

I believe it is a no-brainer that if the subject is a landscaper, his tools/equipment would be highly scrutinized during any related investigation for a missing spouse.

Actually, I think BM thought this too!

For example, I can see where BM intentionally acted to change the blade on May 9-- knowing the attention it would bring, all the while relying on a self-created assurance that the Bobcat would ultimately be excluded by authorities as being used by BM, or anybody else because he knew it was not used here. And if challenged, all could easily be dismissed as seasonable seasonal maintenance --getting equipment ready for summer, business as usual.

Also, not sure all are aware that it was actually Tim Klco who was responsible for first contacting BM.

After a Developer gave TK BM's contact info as a party that might be interested in his backhoe attachment, TK first contacted BM in Sept 2019 where they exchanged texts and BM expressed interest in the backhoe at $5k.

I can only explain BM ignoring the backhoe for 7 months, then on May 9, reaching out to TK if he was around for a preview, as BM overthinking his otherwise solid maintenance alibi-- i.e., shopping for Bobcat parts a good addition to his story for what he did on Saturday. It's not clear to me if TK still owned a Bobcat and perhaps why he wanted to sell the backhoe attachment. If TK did not have a Bobcat, that also eliminates the idea of BM hoping to switch out the SIM cards.

I'm good with eliminating the Bobcat.

My Notes:

AA-- pg 41

May 23, 2020:
NecroSearch K9 handlers [emphasis added], 3 of 3 K9 hits for possible human remains/decomp at loose dirt/gravel on top of the flatbed trailer used by BM to transport Bobcat.

Bobcat parked directly next to trailer on driveway.
No K9 mention at bucket, cab only.

May 28, 2020.
Warrant search for SIM/FBI, Bobcat GPS by Verizon.

AA concludes: Quote. At present, Barry's use of the Bobcat does not appear to be connected to Suzanne's disappearance. Closed quote.

AA-- pg. 53

July 27, 2020:
SA Grusing interview of Tim Klco re. backhoe attachment for Bobcat that could easily be used to dig deep hole/trench quickly.

TK initiated/unsolicited contact with BM Sept 2019 [emphasis added].
Developer/acquaintance suggested if TK wanted to sell attachment, BM might be interested and provided BM contact info. Texts exchanged Sept-Oct 2019, BM expressed interest at $5K, never followed up.

May 9, 2020 (7 months later), BM contacts TK via text inquiring if available to show backhoe attachment.

TC not avail, gave BM address where attachment located for preview.
Unknown if BM previewed at location since surveillance not working here. TK never heard from BM again.

PRELIMINARY HEARING

*** REMINDER, ON THIS DATE, THE AA STILL HAD NOT BEEN RELEASED***

My Notes:

8/10/21 - 2nd Day of PH -- devoted mostly to Timeline for May 9, 2020, and text message history.

Defense continues examing SA Grusing (Pros witness 3 of 8).
Poking holes in Grusing testimony about cell phone forensics using software unfamiliar to Grusing.

Defense Attorney Neilsen requests a break but is denied by Judge Murphy-- (cites defense's use of the clock) and the hearing must continue to 5 pm today.

End of day 2, as if only to get the then sealed AA reference on record, Neilsen directed SA Grusing to AA pg 41, quotes Bobcat not involved in SM disappearance. No further discussion, end of the subject by both Neilsen & prosecution. Abrupt end?

[Neilsen reference to AA pg 41 since defined as BM's use of Bobcat doesn't appear connected to SM disappearance].
1656546289495.png
Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

The BOBCAT, also called the Skidsteer. On page 41 in the affidavit, it states #BarryMorphew was not connected to #SuzanneMorphew disappearance. #FindSuzanne
3:45 PM · Aug 10, 2021·[PT]

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

On Saturday, May 9 his bobcat was very active. I have to go outside for my liveshot on @FOX21News
3:46 PM · Aug 10, 2021 [PT]

MOO

Last edited:
I still don't understand how they got the influencing charge associated with a ballot with a signature on the witness line - or so that is what is being said occurred out in the internet world. Voter fraud or election fraud I understand.
^^rsbm

Voter fraud only involves felony forgery of public records and a misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. IMO, the attempt to influence part covers the "intent" element of the charge.

I have always wondered that.

Maybe the loop or turns were tight or the terrain too difficult for his truck with the trailed bobcat, so that's why he left the bobcat at home.

I can't think of any other plausible reason he didn't bring the bobcat to Broomfield.

JMO
The only reason I can possible dream up is if he assumed the base was fine and he didn't think they would need it and all they had to do was straighten up some sections and that it could be done by hand. Hard to believe, but if he didn't supervise the initial work and he didn't drive to Broomfield to assess the job it possible he just didn't know the whole thing had to come down and start over.

I have always wondered that.

Maybe the loop or turns were tight or the terrain too difficult for his truck with the trailed bobcat, so that's why he left the bobcat at home.

I can't think of any other plausible reason he didn't bring the bobcat to Broomfield.

JMO

IMO, BM not hauling the Bobcat to Broomfield was intentional for BM's anticipated, lightning-speed return to Salida on Sunday evening!

BM would never put himself in the position of having to unhitch his trailer and leave both the trailer and bobcat behind for work that had no materials ordered!

Sloppiest alibi ever.

IMO, BM not hauling the Bobcat to Broomfield was intentional for BM's anticipated, lightning-speed return to Salida on Sunday evening!

BM would never put himself in the position of having to unhitch his trailer and leave both the trailer and bobcat behind for work that had no materials ordered!

Sloppiest alibi ever.
I think an additional issue is that he was worried about the Bobcat's ability to track his movements, and he couldn't have that.

It would have picked up that left turn (helmet location), which we only know about because Barry was bluffed into admitting to it during one of his final interviews (hilarious elk story).

^^rsbm

Voter fraud only involves felony forgery of public records and a misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. IMO, the attempt to influence part covers the "intent" element of the charge.
Thanks....that feels flimsy when you read the law but like you said maybe intent ?? but maybe prosecution knew they would have to give on something over the course of these charges. Influencing for me made tons more sense connected to the murder case LOL. Oh well if it gets to trial prosecution will have to explain the charge so we'll have answers.

I think an additional issue is that he was worried about the Bobcat's ability to track his movements, and he couldn't have that.

It would have picked up that left turn (helmet location), which we only know about because Barry was bluffed into admitting to it during one of his final interviews (hilarious elk story).

Can you remind me how the bluff worked?

Was it based on his mileage?

Can you remind me how the bluff worked?

Was it based on his mileage?
Investigators obviously knew he turned left, as he had to have done that to plant the helmet. With the telematics not tracking his movements for a period of time that morning, getting Barry to admit that on his own would have been another important admission/piece of evidence.

SA Harris explained to Barry that sometimes questions shed light on things and helps investigators know where not to look for Suzanne as well. SA Harris states there are things about his truck we are wondering and asks Barry when he left for Broomfield, did he tum right or left on to Hwy 50?

Barry said, "Yeah, there was a herd of elk in the road and there was one bull and he was a nice bull. And they all went up the gulley there, where that old washed-out road is and they went up there. And I'm like, 'Oh, I want to see how big this bull is.' And I turned down there, and and, they crossed right in front of me and then I went down to the Garfield turn around and then went to Broomsfield."

Pages 73 and 74.

The previous paragraph involves a discussion about the missing mileage, so I think that's most likely why this came up, and perhaps not a bluff due to telematics perhaps existing.

Last edited:
Thanks....that feels flimsy when you read the law but like you said maybe intent ?? but maybe prosecution knew they would have to give on something over the course of these charges. Influencing for me made tons more sense connected to the murder case LOL. Oh well if it gets to trial prosecution will have to explain the charge so we'll have answers.
Also, the attempt to influence adds a felony -- voter fraud is only a misdemeanor. IMO, BM will get off here with probation. There's already a precedent set in Colorado for voter-fraud convictions.

Any person who attempts to influence any public servant by means of deceit or by threat of violence or economic reprisal against any person or property, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision, vote, opinion, or action concerning any matter which is to be considered or performed by him or the agency or body of which he is a member, commits a class 4 felony.

SALIDA, Colo. (KRDO) -- Barry Morphew appeared over video conference in a Chaffee County courtroom Thursday on his voting fraud charges. He's accused of casting a ballot for Donald Trump in his missing wife's name months after she vanished in 2020
.….
While the murder charges against Morphew were dismissed, he's still facing three charges in a separate case. He's facing two felony charges, for forgery and attempting to influence a public servant. He's facing a third misdemeanor election charge.

Sequence-02.00_03_48_07.Still001.jpg
Barry Morphew appears over WebEx in Chaffee County Court on Thursday, June 29, 2022. <<note incorrect date

The active charges stem from allegations that Morphew cast a ballot in his missing wife's name in October of 2020.
…..
One of Morphew's attorneys, Iris Eytan, indicated in court Thursday, June 30, 2022, to Judge Patrick Murphy that they are close to reaching a plea deal with the prosecution in this case. Both sides are confident they can reach a deal in the next three weeks, agreeing to meet for Morphew's arraignment on July 21, 2022.

While Morphew faces these charges, Stanley has noted that Morphew can still be re-charged with his wife's murder. The DA's office also stated they felt they were close to finding Suzanne's remains.

SALIDA, Colo. (KRDO) -- Barry Morphew appeared over video conference in a Chaffee County courtroom Thursday on his voting fraud charges. He's accused of casting a ballot for Donald Trump in his missing wife's name months after she vanished in 2020
.….
While the murder charges against Morphew were dismissed, he's still facing three charges in a separate case. He's facing two felony charges, for forgery and attempting to influence a public servant. He's facing a third misdemeanor election charge.

Sequence-02.00_03_48_07.Still001.jpg
Barry Morphew appears over WebEx in Chaffee County Court on Thursday, June 29, 2022. <<note incorrect date

The active charges stem from allegations that Morphew cast a ballot in his missing wife's name in October of 2020.
…..
One of Morphew's attorneys, Iris Eytan, indicated in court Thursday, June 30, 2022, to Judge Patrick Murphy that they are close to reaching a plea deal with the prosecution in this case. Both sides are confident they can reach a deal in the next three weeks, agreeing to meet for Morphew's arraignment on July 21, 2022.

While Morphew faces these charges, Stanley has noted that Morphew can still be re-charged with his wife's murder. The DA's office also stated they felt they were close to finding Suzanne's remains.

Yup that makes sense. I always thought this thing might end up as a plea deal. My bet is probation and fine pleading guilty to voter fraud.

He does look rough. I’d like to think it’s guilt gnawing at him. But more likely - he’s just keeping late nights, living it up. :mad:

Yep. Those delicious steaks for one two don't just up and grill themselves.

I don't see BM as a guy too prone to introspection, let alone incapacitating guilt.

But he may just believe in ghosts, in which case...

Yep. Those delicious steaks for one two don't just up and grill themselves.

I don't see BM as a guy too prone to introspection, let alone incapacitating guilt.

But he may just believe in ghosts, in which case...
I don't think it's guilt, as it's clear that he let himself off the hook; Suzanne's affair gave him that out.

I think he physically aged because of the stress of being under investigation, and I guess you can't roll that clock back...

BM looks like he hasn’t had a good nights sleep in awhile.

JMO
I thought just the opposite.
Looks good for a man who murdered his wife, deceived friends, family and his daughters and lied to people his whole life.
I’m waiting for the day he is charged, arrested, convicted and sentenced. Then he will look crappy. Can’t come soon enough Barry.

I thought just the opposite.
Looks good for a man who murdered his wife, deceived friends, family and his daughters and lied to people his whole life.
I’m waiting for the day he is charged, arrested, convicted and sentenced. Then he will look crappy. Can’t come soon enough Barry.
Right? Someone like him always looks better in prison stripes.

Totally might be wrong about this, but hear me out. His bobcat's Sim card and it's movement would be logically connected to his specific bobcat.
What would have happened if he had switched out the Sim card or wrapped it in foil to avoid detection?

JMO

If innocent Barry is still "looking for Suzanne" as he said...then he should willingly and enthusiastically offer to fund the necro-search...on behalf of his cherished daughters and extended family.
YES!!!
I wonder how "his" searches are going ??
Has he sent out the troops looking all over ??

Has he, himself, been out looking ??

Yeah, right !!!

If I have missed news about his searching efforts, I would love to see them but I am going to bet, there have no search efforts on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro