Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbbm

I think the key word here is "allegations" -- OARC is investigating allegations by a public complaint.

And how telling that local 9News would rather give Iris airtime to share her very personal opinion rather than interview DA Linda Stanley on charging and prosecuting a 40-year cold case investigation where two victims and their families finally got justice.

OARC is generally bound by rules requiring confidentiality pursuant to C.R.C.P. 242.41, and where respondents and complaining witnesses are NOT bound by confidentiality rules.

Who wants to guess the party feeding the local news media? :rolleyes:

“Bobbi Jo (Oberholtzer) was a fighter and is a hero. She fought back and because of that we were able to get DNA evidence to convict Annette and Bobbi Jo’s killer after all this time,” said District Attorney Linda Stanley, 11th Judicial District, in a news release.

Park County Sheriff Tom McGraw said that his office, the 11th Judicial District Attorney, CBI investigators and crime analysts and United Data Connect, a forensic science computing firm, worked together for justice in the cold case.

Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said that the long-awaited conviction should serve as a reminder that cold case, unsolved murders do not close.

“This absolutely gives hope to people,” Hurlbert said. “This case being so old, this shows there’s no case that can’t be solved.”

Phillips faces life in prison when he is sentenced at a hearing set for Nov. 7 in Fairplay, Park County, Colorado.

PARK COUNTY, Colo. — The man convicted in the 1982 murders of two women hitchhiking near Breckenridge was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Monday.

I no longer feel hopeful. What should have been a slam dunk case seems to have been bungled. I think the “we know where she is but we can’t get under the snow yet” was a bluff to save face. I expect ol’ BM to get off and maybe it’ll all come out years and years and years later when it’s long cold and someone fresh takes a crack at the case. It’s beyond sad.

I no longer feel hopeful. What should have been a slam dunk case seems to have been bungled. I think the “we know where she is but we can’t get under the snow yet” was a bluff to save face. I expect ol’ BM to get off and maybe it’ll all come out years and years and years later when it’s long cold and someone fresh takes a crack at the case. It’s beyond sad.
He won't be the first or last to "get off," as you say (assuming he does). I'm most saddened that Suzanne's girls support him. I wish she had been able to be more honest with them about BM's character. It's a difficult line to walk as a parent, I imagine.

I have hope but it was never a slam dunk case in my opinion. I think people wanted it to be or convinced themselves it was but there just wasn’t enough foundational evidence for a slam dunk in my mind.

After all that has happened in this case, or not happened as it may be, I still have great faith this will go to trial and that the prosecution is going to bring this home. As they say, timing is EVERYTHING. I just have this feeling that this time around, when the hammer comes down on BM, the timing will be impeccable! This case is not cold. It’s not even lukewarm. It’s still smokin’ hot, IMO. Even IF the prosecution fails in getting a conviction (I will pray that doesn’t happen), BM’s “mask” will be ripped off for all the world to see, except maybe his daughters and his faithful (and deluded) friend TS. Sometimes you can’t undo cognitive dissonance. :rolleyes: JMHO as always.

... "I'm most saddened that Suzanne's girls support him."...

"What's past is prologue."
William Shakespeare
The Tempest

Prophesy and proselytizing "r"' not me. But if something past strikes me, gut-wise, as something prologue - particularly wanna-prologue ;) - then I'll subscribe and, as now, share.

IMO,...Take heart!
...because The Reckoning ...
...just as for the villainous Mr. Tanner, the savagely abused and humiliated buffalo hunter Valdez...
... Is Coming!'​

Also I expect that, when it arrives, the delusional Mr. Morphew will reason this kind of evil and cruelty, [i.e. judgment in this world rather than in his own heaven], is nothing his god could, would or should conceiveably have "allowed". Ring any bells?

Oh, and how about that parable, sacred to much of humanity, re. feasting at the table with those who love you, yet thereafter fatally betray you for security or silver? Verisimilitude with years of family meals at the Morphew table?

And, were he familiar with something more of The Bard's works apart from, "To (m)ine ownself be true!"
I expect, as he's at long-over-due-last being ensconced in restraints, he'll rant much as Shakespeare's King Lear:

“How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have (a) thankless child(ren).”
Act I, Scene 4

All the above,
naturally,
my mere hope and dream.

:)

Oh, he received two life sentences. He's not going anywhere, he'll die in prison.
The case is featured on 48 hours tonight!

I agree with you. I do not feel hopeful. I also agree the statement about not being able to get underneath the snow was a bluff to save face. I’ve thought that since they dismissed the case.

I hate it when murderers walk free. It makes me lose faith in the justice system. Maybe he’ll get cocky enough to open his mouth. Or someone else will.

In my notes I have this:

For Chafee County: Forgery case: Morphew has a review hearing set for 11/28/22. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

But the court site has never had this date on there. So wondering IF this is a go? I have not seen any current articles about this review hearing.

TIA if anyone can help me figure this out! :)

The case is featured on 48 hours tonight!

Thanks @Seattle1! So good to be reminded that even after SO many years, there is justice. Having said that, I don’t for one minute believe Suzanne’s justice is going to take 40 years. The evidence against BM voluminous. They don’t need her remains, although that would be amazing if they could locate them. Timing…..patience. We’ll get there and I’ll be here patiently waiting when that day comes! Tick, Tock BM. MOO

Thanks @Seattle1! So good to be reminded that even after SO many years, there is justice. Having said that, I don’t for one minute believe Suzanne’s justice is going to take 40 years. The evidence against BM voluminous. They don’t need her remains, although that would be amazing if they could locate them. Timing…..patience. We’ll get there and I’ll be here patiently waiting when that day comes! Tick, Tock BM. MOO
You've given me hope. I just pray I'm still alive when justice comes for him.

In my notes I have this:

For Chafee County: Forgery case: Morphew has a review hearing set for 11/28/22. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

But the court site has never had this date on there. So wondering IF this is a go? I have not seen any current articles about this review hearing.

Probably a probation update/progress depending on if his probation was supervised or unsupervised. If probation was supervised the court might not need a progress meeting. The charge he pled guilty to is a pretty low level non violent felony.

Probably a probation update/progress depending on if his probation was supervised or unsupervised. If probation was supervised the court might not need a progress meeting. The charge he pled guilty to is a pretty low level non violent felony.
Looks like he has supervised probation according to this article:
SENTENCING: #BarryMorphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. “I believe there should be some sort of punishment,” Judge Murphy said. 32 hours of community service and he can do it in Denver, not Chaffee Co. if he wants.

11:29 AM · Jul 21, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://www.foxnews.com/us/barry-morphew-gets-1-year-probation-pleading-guilty-forgery-voting-missing-wifes-behalf-reports

In my notes I have this:

Niner, hope this helps, but it's not on the court site. The date for the article is July 21st, 2022. There might not be anything more current yet. :)

In the forgery case, Morphew has a review hearing set for Nov. 28, according to court records. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

BM pled GUILTY to a felony and a sentence for supervised probation is in lieu of jail. BM was also sentenced to perform community service.

The purpose of a Review Hearing is exactly what it implies --a formal opportunity for the court to make a record of BM's progress, compliance, or non-compliance as reported by his probation officer.

That said, IE will not waste the opportunity to pontificate about why probation should end early and BM allowed to hunt with a gun, etc., as her client is above the rules governing Joe public. MOO

In my notes I have this:

Probably a probation update/progress depending on if his probation was supervised or unsupervised. If probation was supervised the court might not need a progress meeting. Voter fraud is a pretty low level non violent felony.
Niner, hope this helps, but it's not on the court site. The date for the article is July 21st, 2022. There might not be anything more current yet. :)

In the forgery case, Morphew has a review hearing set for Nov. 28, according to court records. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

My guess if there is a judicial review which I think is not usual with supervised probation in most states including Colorado on low level charges it will be private.

Yes that is the article I got my info.

But the thing is - it is not on the court site - as it should be. I looked under Chaffee & Fremont. Usually the site is pretty good at updating their sites.

Well - I shall just keep him there.

Thanks all for the info - I do have in my notes that he is under supervised probation. Plus I have this also:

Morphew was fined & assessed court costs of $600. Barring a reversal, the deferred judgment will end on June 21, 2023. Should he run afoul of the agreement, Morphew faces up to six years in prison if there are extraordinary or aggravating circumstances.

Wish he would "run afoul" before June! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper