Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #107

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado judge sanctions Fremont County District Attorney Linda Stanley for repeatedly violating court procedures
From the article :

During initial court proceedings after Tippet’s arrest in January, the DA’s office missed an initial deadline for submitting discovery documents. Multiple deputy district attorneys juggled appearances for the case, sometimes arriving late and unprepared.

“You have to do your job,” the presiding judge told a deputy district attorney during a hearing on March 22, according to the order. “You simply have to do it and there is a pattern of this office not doing it.”

“Well, we’re doing the best we can,” the DDA said.

MY unpopular opinion but I belive the DDA. If you only have the bandwidth to manage say 5 cases and you have 30 cases actively in court this is what I imagine happens and of course there is a pattern. They simply are not staffed for the amount of cases they have and are not effectively able to manage. Just reality. Things really need fixing out there and pronto IMO.

Colorado judge sanctions Fremont County District Attorney Linda Stanley for repeatedly violating court procedures
From the article :

During initial court proceedings after Tippet’s arrest in January, the DA’s office missed an initial deadline for submitting discovery documents. Multiple deputy district attorneys juggled appearances for the case, sometimes arriving late and unprepared.

“You have to do your job,” the presiding judge told a deputy district attorney during a hearing on March 22, according to the order. “You simply have to do it and there is a pattern of this office not doing it.”

MY unpopular opinion but I belive the DDA. If you only have the bandwidth to manage say 5 cases and you have 30 cases actively in court this is what I imagine happens and of course there is a pattern. They simply are not staffed for the amount of cases they have and are not effectively able to manage. Just reality. Things really need fixing out there and pronto IMO.
Exactly, not to mention the politics she had to put up with.
she did her best, she got a raw deal.
That link is from last April and already discussed upthread in great detail.

All is not as it appears here.
She did the best she could under impossible conditions.

This is only a victory for BM fans.

From the article :

This has always been my suspicion

Basic bureaucratic failure

Exactly, not to mention the politics she had to put up with.
she did her best, she got a raw deal.
That link is from last April and already discussed upthread in great detail.

All is not as it appears here.
She did the best she could under impossible conditions.

This is only a victory for BM fans.
BBM Or is it actually a victory for justice? She was not very good or effective at her job. Multiple cases dismissed is enough to say she wasn't good or effective, hopefully the next DA is good at the job.

This has always been my suspicion

Basic bureaucratic failure
So LS is leaving? And has known about it for a year? Maybe the month she dropped BM’s case (to be filed again later)?
I think she knew what she was getting into when elected.
Reading the article makes my head hurt. Now I have strong suspicions BM chose the town with a history of no big murder cases and knowing they had neither money nor staff to bring a case forward. I’m sure IE knew all about the county. Seems we were all played.

Will the case ever be charged again? I doubt it. Powers that be are just waiting for it all to go away.

BM, you may run for awhile but God will be waiting at judgment. In the meantime remember, life goes by really fast.

Reading the article makes my head hurt. Now I have strong suspicions BM chose the town with a history of no big murder cases and knowing they had neither money nor staff to bring a case forward. I’m sure IE knew all about the county. Seems we were all played.
bbm
Just exactly my thought!! IF BM had a reason to flee Indiana in 2018 and he had a reason to one day in the future eliminate his wife, it would make sense, that he would have chosen a well-known country (through his hunting) with districts, known as having some scandales re law and order. In addition, BM has relatives living there, who could have mentioned occurrences to him, which seemed interesting and advantageous to him (and his criminal mind). MOO

bbm
Just exactly my thought!! IF BM had a reason to flee Indiana in 2018 and he had a reason to one day in the future eliminate his wife, it would make sense, that he would have chosen a well-known country (through his hunting) with districts, known as having some scandales re law and order. In addition, BM has relatives living there, who could have mentioned occurrences to him, which seemed interesting and advantageous to him (and his criminal mind). MOO
Yes I believe so.

BBM Or is it actually a victory for justice? She was not very good or effective at her job. Multiple cases dismissed is enough to say she wasn't good or effective, hopefully the next DA is good at the job.
It won’t help to bring in the best of DA’s, if there is no money to fund a prosecution and not enough employees.
Regardless of what you might think of her abilities, she was defeated before she got started.

What's the population of Chaffee County? Can a county disband? Go unincorporated? Secede to a larger county? If it doesn't have an operational budget....

I don't know that I necessarily believe BM moved to Chaffee County in order to get away with murder, but I do absolutely believe that BM thought he owned Chaffee County and could do as he pleased. With impunity.

Probably what he meant to say when blathering on for 3 30 minuteses. Just let me do what I do.

Like PFrazee who was shocked that his victim would garner sympathy and publicity, I do think our good friend BM thought he could do as he pleased, that he could snow the sheriff and hijack a local investigation. Whoopsies, lion got 'er. BM is the resident wildgame whisperer. He's tracked the beast. If he says the lion supped on his beloved, we best believe him. Expert. Case closed.

I wish Backhoe Joe would get the usage off his SIM card... just give a look at 05-09-20 to see if, while he was out of town, his wayward SIM card took a field trip.

There's a tip out there, I just know it.

jmo

Last edited:
It won’t help to bring in the best of DA’s, if there is no money to fund a prosecution and not enough employees.
Regardless of what you might think of her abilities, she was defeated before she got started.
In addition to being a failed prosecutor she's also a failed administrator. A good admin would develop a plan and staff around the available budget. She didn't.

In addition to being a failed prosecutor she's also a failed administrator. A good admin would develop a plan and staff around the available budget. She didn't.
Yeah, I don't really get this "it was an impossible situation" narrative. DAs have prosecutorial discretion. They can choose which cases they file and when. A huge part of a DA's job is to analyze their staff resources and time and allocate them appropriately. If the case load is really that unmanageable (which I doubt), stop filing low level drug cases and prioritize violent crimes and sex crimes. Don't let murderers and rapists walk free because their prosecutions are being mismanaged.

IMO, it's a valid excuse for a public defenders office that has no say in the number of cases they take, but not for a DA's office. In Barry's case, we know that LS went ahead and filed it over the objections of the CBI director who thought that it would be better to wait until they'd had more time to analyze and process the evidence. That doesn't sound like a DA who was concerned with an overwhelming case load. That sounds like a DA making poor strategic choices.

What's the population of Chaffee County? Can a county disband? Go unincorporated? Secede to a larger county? If it doesn't have an operational budget....

I don't know that I necessarily believe BM moved to Chaffee County in order to get away with murder, but I do absolutely believe that BM thought he owned Chaffee County and could do as he pleased. With impunity.

Probably what he meant to say when blathering on for 3 30 minuteses. Just let me do what I do.

Like PFrazee who was shocked that his victim would garner sympathy and publicity, I do think our good friend BM thought he could do as he pleased, that he could snow the sheriff and hijack a local investigation. Whoopsies, lion got 'er. BM is the resident wildgame whisperer. He's tracked the beast. If he says the lion supped on his beloved, we best believe him. Expert. Case closed.

I wish Backhoe Joe would get the usage off his SIM card... just give a look at 05-09-20 to see if, while he was out of town, his wayward SIM card took a field trip.

jmo
In my area, 2 parishes have one judicial district/one district attorney. Each parish has judges and a lead assistant DA. Our system works well.

I don’t disagree with you about the administrator part. I’m not good at remembering names anymore, but do you remember the DA who left just as the trial began? There was talk of he and LS not getting along. I wonder now if left because he knew the county was not equipped with staff or finances to win this case or others. I also wonder if will run for DA if he feels he has it in him to be a good administrator. So many questions, so few answers. What about Hurlburt? He says he KNOWS where Suzanne’s body is. Yet will he come forward to say there are no funds to really search for her?

jmo
Oh I definitely believe he intended to kill her. He moved her in the middle of nowhere, away from friends and and home she knew very well. I’ll bet he promised he would change and put her above his hunting and womanizing. She hated it once she was there, started dreaming of a different life and remembered Jeff. I wonder if there would have been an affair if she had remained in Indiana and wasn’t searching high and low fot happiness. Let’s face it, Jeff didn’t put her first either. She didn’t really have a place in his life. Once in CO BM somehow found out about she searched elsewhere and started an affair and he promised to kill her if he could prove it. IMO.
There was a LOT of premeditation on his part. He succeeded in covering up her body, but failed in covering up his crime.

I don’t disagree with you about the administrator part. I’m not good at remembering names anymore, but do you remember the DA who left just as the trial began? There was talk of he and LS not getting along. I wonder now if left because he knew the county was not equipped with staff or finances to win this case or others. I also wonder if will run for DA if he feels he has it in him to be a good administrator. So many questions, so few answers. What about Hurlburt? He says he KNOWS where Suzanne’s body is. Yet will he come forward to say there are no funds to really search for her?
Jeff Lindsey.

An elected DA's job really is just management, they're not trying cases for the most part, they're managing the attorneys who are trying the cases.

In this case, it appears that County Commissioners initially refused to increase the DA's budget by 5% as Stanley requested because she ignored their requests for financial reports detailing how the current budget was being spent. Apparently those reports don't even exist for some of the years Stanley was DA and will have to be recreated from bank statements.

Jeff Lindsey.

An elected DA's job really is just management, they're not trying cases for the most part, they're managing the attorneys who are trying the cases.

In this case, it appears that County Commissioners initially refused to increase the DA's budget by 5% as Stanley requested because she ignored their requests for financial reports detailing how the current budget was being spent. Apparently those reports don't even exist for some of the years Stanley was DA and will have to be recreated from bank statements.

Thank you for the good information.

Jeff Lindsey.

One can only hope they can get a decent person in to administrate that office and set the ship on course.

One can only hope they can get a decent person in to administrate that office and set the ship on course.

if god, himself descended in order to run it, there would still be people screaming that BM is innocent.

There is zero evidence of his innocence.

He had motive and more than ample opportunity.

He will eventually meet up with the Mountain Lion of Justice though and it will take him completely by surprise.

Somebody out there knows something.

By not coming forward they're placing others in danger.

There's only so long one can live with that discomfort.

He believes he had the right to do what he did, that he was conducting an act of God.

On God's behalf.

Thing is that neither God nor man likes that very much.

LS had the balls and the common sense to get him off the streets. She took a risk to do it.
It didn't pay off but she still did the right thing.
At the right time.

He's free now and IMO nobody is safe while this remains the status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor