Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the issue. Prosecution should have turned over the DNA testing results, how they followed through and how they determined those partial matches were connected to people who could not be involved or be honest about any unknown partial matches. I don’t understand why it was obscured to begin with unless there was concern that they wouldn’t get past probable cause. It seems like if prosecution would have been forthright it would have been addressed during the preliminary and we wouldn’t be here 3 years later talking about DNA. Maybe that is a naive view but sure seems straightforward to me.
What rubbish and the defense knows it!

The affidavit was prepared /signed May 2021 and the PH concluded end of August 2021 yet they are citing results dated Nov 2021! I'm sure the defense is using the very discovery received from the State to misrepresent claims (aka "IE's version") cited in the Civil Suit.

Thanks but i was looking for a verified source, not more of ie's rhetoric..

have you got a way to find a verified source at all, please?.
What are you considering verified if not documents filed with the court? Also are you looking for how many Codis hits or the status as we know for each hit there were or exactly what are you seeking? That would help as between all the docs from the original trial and the docs from the civil trial there are many many hundreds of pages. If you specify what you are looking for I will go seek and make the screen shots.

What are you considering verified if not documents filed with the court? Also are you looking for how many Codis hits or the status as we know for each hit there were or exactly what are you seeking? That would help as between all the docs from the original trial and the docs from the civil trial there are many many
Civil case has not been answered so not verified.
Is there anything on any of the prosecution files, looking for lab results on anything that is open source?

I could have missed it easily..

Civil case has not been answered so not verified.
Is there anything on any of the prosecution files, looking for lab results on anything that is open source?

I could have missed it easily..

Here is discusion about DNA testimony at prelim...including CODIS hits.

That is the issue. Prosecution should have turned over the DNA testing results, how they followed through and how they determined those partial matches were connected to people who could not be involved or be honest about any unknown partial matches. I don’t understand why it was obscured to begin with unless there was concern that they wouldn’t get past probable cause. It seems like if prosecution would have been forthright it would have been addressed during the preliminary and we wouldn’t be here 3 years later talking about DNA. Maybe that is a naive view but sure seems straightforward to me.

Agree. That's their whole problem. The discovery violations are laid out so they are on notice. They need to address them and get them out of the way so they can get their experts back on the case. I don't understand either why they took such a massive risk screwing this up. I really don't. Had they not done this, he would be convicted. This would be over. We wouldn't be talking about this.

Had they not withdrawn, he probably would have been acquitted and jeopardy would have attached. Not smart.

jmo

24:15 they discuss DNA

It's a problem but not an insurmountable one imo (not a forensics person). Plus as discussed in this link, BM put himself in an area where evidence was found. Instead of heading straight to his destination that Sunday morning, he went 2 miles in the opposite direction and that's where the bike helmet was found. That's a problem for him.

jmo

Last edited:
BM could never have a dog, because no dog would ever like BM.

SUZANNE, yes, dogs would love her caring, gentle personality.
... and a man like Barry would become jealous of the love and affection Suzanne showed toward the dog. A dog would have been a great source of unconditional love for Suzanne which may or may not have went over well with Barry.

No, me thinks the prosecution will not lower themselves to her theatrics and stay cool, calm, and quiet. Better to nail her in the courtroom! They’ll come out swinging with a decisive opening statement and win with a ”knockout punch.” They have more than we know. But Iris KNOWS! JMHO
A respectable and savvy attorney whether prosecutor or defense DOES NOT try the case in the media. They are officers of the court sworn to protect the integrity of the case entrusted to them. What IE is doing bastardizes her own role in the US judicial system. Respectable attorneys DO not behave like amateur actors auditioning for the front page story.

IE could learn a lot from DA Michael Allen.

I think he switched vehicles, I think he intended to bury her at the beach site but was interrupted and then opted for south, as far from Broomfield as he could get. I think he got there by back roads, had very little time to dig because he needed to return the vehicle he was in and get back to PP before sun up. Good half hour to switch vehicles, solid half hour at the beach site before he was discovered, leaving him barely three hours to get outside of town, not a minute to spare.

If the neighbor hasn't turned her porch light on, I think Suzanne would've been buried there... and good reason why LE spent so much time there.

JMO
Agree. I felt he went south too. Spent a lot of time looking at the highway along the Arkansas river south of Salida. Valley is too narrow for a lot of good spots. But never thought one valley over.
David Moorman said the police told him she is buried within a 3 1/2 hour circle.
1:45 each way or 105 minutes each way.
Where she was found is 56 minutes from her Puma Path home.

Last edited:
She is
A respectable and savvy attorney whether prosecutor or defense DOES NOT try the case in the media. They are officers of the court sworn to protect the integrity of the case entrusted to them. What IE is doing bastardizes her own role in the US judicial system. Respectable attorneys DO not behave like amateur actors auditioning for the front page story.

IE could learn a lot from DA Michael Allen.
IE is a manic nightmare.

Thanks but am geoblocked.
From the quoted link:

Earlier Tuesday, Barry Morphew's attorneys called Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Agent Joseph Cahill as a witness to question him about a DNA sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew's vehicle after she went missing.

The sample resulted in three unknown matches in the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a national DNA database used by law enforcement. The matches were connected to sexual assault cases in Arizona and Chicago, according to testimony.

According to the defense, Cahill was listed as the CBI contact in letters sent to law enforcement agencies in Tempe, Ariz., Phoenix and Chicago, notifying them of DNA matches between a swabbed sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew’s vehicle and unsolved sexual assault cases in those cities.

Barry Morphew’s DNA was excluded from the glove box sample, according to defense attorneys.

Cahill testified that he was not aware of those letters at the time they were sent, between October and April. He testified that he became aware of them when the district attorney’s office gave the letters to him later on.

Cahill testified that he didn’t follow up on those matches. In the Chicago case, a detective in that city told Cahill that he would follow up on the match, Cahill testified, and then said he did not check whether the detective did so.

Under cross-examination from the prosecution, Cahill testified that a DNA match from CODIS should be treated as an investigative lead that law enforcement should follow up on.

Prosecutors rely on law and justice, because if they embark on a heavy duty PR campaign, it wlll be known. Their budgets are ultimately a matter of public record. It's hard to disguise PR as something else, if you're a Prosecutor, whereas the defense can claim they're just filing motions/asking questions.
If there is an upside to IE's PR campaign, it's that she bills BM for her time, LOL!

And on that note, can anyone offer a ballpark estimate for IE's (legal) services to BM ??

IMO, immediately after Suzanne's disappearance, BM cashed out and liquidated their assets, but then embarked on a spending spree including luxury rentals, new vehicles, deluxe vacations, veneers, cosmetic injections, replacing discarded items, supporting his daughters, taxes, etc. Then along came $$ IE $$.

In the event of a new trial, the prosecution may dump terabytes of information on the defense during discovery as a precaution to ward off sanctions. The highly skilled IE will require time to sort through alllllllll of that information. Do defense attorneys charge by the hour or are clients charged with homocide offered a package deal ??

From the quoted link:

Earlier Tuesday, Barry Morphew's attorneys called Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Agent Joseph Cahill as a witness to question him about a DNA sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew's vehicle after she went missing.

The sample resulted in three unknown matches in the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a national DNA database used by law enforcement. The matches were connected to sexual assault cases in Arizona and Chicago, according to testimony.

According to the defense, Cahill was listed as the CBI contact in letters sent to law enforcement agencies in Tempe, Ariz., Phoenix and Chicago, notifying them of DNA matches between a swabbed sample taken from the glove box of Suzanne Morphew’s vehicle and unsolved sexual assault cases in those cities.

Barry Morphew’s DNA was excluded from the glove box sample, according to defense attorneys.

Cahill testified that he was not aware of those letters at the time they were sent, between October and April. He testified that he became aware of them when the district attorney’s office gave the letters to him later on.

Cahill testified that he didn’t follow up on those matches. In the Chicago case, a detective in that city told Cahill that he would follow up on the match, Cahill testified, and then said he did not check whether the detective did so.

Under cross-examination from the prosecution, Cahill testified that a DNA match from CODIS should be treated as an investigative lead that law enforcement should follow up on.
Thanks.
Cahill.
Of course, useless Cahill, who else?

Agree. I felt he went south too. Spent a lot of time looking at the highway along the Arkansas river south of Salida. Valley is too narrow for a lot of good spots. But never thought one valley over.
David Moorman said the police told him she is buried within a 3 1/2 hour circle.
1:45 each way or 105 minutes each way.
Where she was found is 56 minutes from her Puma Path home.
Any thoughts on why he went so far down Highway 17 into the San Luis Valley? If he took the back route to avoid the camera at Poncha Pass, he would have come out on Hwy. 17 just north of Villa Grove. From there it’s another 20 miles to where Suzanne was found and it’s all flat bottomland.

I think it’s safe to assume he was in a bit of a rush, so an additional 40 miles (round trip) must have served some purpose in his mind.

Any thoughts on why he went so far down Highway 17 into the San Luis Valley? If he took the back route to avoid the camera at Poncha Pass, he would have come out on Hwy. 17 just north of Villa Grove. From there it’s another 20 miles to where Suzanne was found and it’s all flat bottomland.

I think it’s safe to assume he was in a bit of a rush, so an additional 40 miles (round trip) must have served some purpose in his mind.
Moo he drove till he found the combination of flat, utility pole access-catwalk and no near buildings (lights.)

Why were Barry Morphew's charges first dropped? | Vargas Reports

Sep 29, 2023 #SuzanneMorphew #VargasReports #Colorado

The remains of Suzanne Morphew have been found, more than three years after she went missing. Investigators said finding Morphew's remains is critical to the continuing investigation. Former homicide persecutor Matt Murphy explains why the charges were dropped on Morphew's husband, Barry Morphew, one year after she was reported missing. Murphy says that her body was scavenged and that the chances of finding any DNA linked to a suspect is very slim.

What rubbish and the defense knows it!

The affidavit was prepared /signed May 2021 and the PH concluded end of August 2021 yet they are citing results dated Nov 2021!

In some respects I am glad IE filed that suit so we can see her ruses properly for the first time.

For instance on the location data, if IE can find an expert who has an alternate explanation for the data this means exculpatory evidence was withheld and Grusing planted the idea of the left turn/chipmunk hunt, when all he really did is ask BM for an explanation of what the data shows on it's face.

This is why I believe the real failing of the prosecution was they didn't explain all this to the judge until the motion in response to sanctions - much too late.

I'm sure the defense is using the very discovery received from the State to misrepresent claims (aka "IE's version") cited in the Civil Suit.

Yes this is her main trick as highlighted in the motion to response. Receive discovery and then claim it isn't the discovery.

If there is an upside to IE's PR campaign, it's that she bills BM for her time, LOL!

And on that note, can anyone offer a ballpark estimate for IE's (legal) services to BM ??

IMO, immediately after Suzanne's disappearance, BM cashed out and liquidated their assets, but then embarked on a spending spree including luxury rentals, new vehicles, deluxe vacations, veneers, cosmetic injections, replacing discarded items, supporting his daughters, taxes, etc. Then along came $$ IE $$.

In the event of a new trial, the prosecution may dump terabytes of information on the defense during discovery as a precaution to ward off sanctions. The highly skilled IE will require time to sort through alllllllll of that information. Do defense attorneys charge by the hour or are clients charged with homocide offered a package deal ??
I'd say BM's legal bills thus far are well into the mid 6 figure range at least, IE isn't cheap. He was surely hoping to recoup some of that money and some extra 'walking around' money in the civil suit, which I don't believe will happen now. heehee

I've said it many times, but I hope IE and company spend every last penny BM has trying to defend him. I have no doubt when a new trial begins he will be found guilty now that Suzanne's remains have been found. I believe her fingernails will have his DNA under them from those scratches we've seen photos of, and if her skull remained fairly in tact, the hyoid bone might show a break. He's done, toast if that's the case.

Broke and caged, that's a good look for BM IMO. No more tanning, botox and hi lights for his hair, he'll just start looking like the old man wife murderer that I think he is.

#Justice4Suzanne

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members