Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I've read several posts on FB about weather there really was abuse or not. I firmly believe there was and I think Suzanne told it in her own way. It's frustrating to see the argument that she was having this affair so he couldn't be that abusive. I think it's likely many of those thinking that have never had a relationship with a parent, sibling, significant other, or friend that is toxic and abusive in the way that Barry was.

I've been thinking about that broken door frame. Sure door frames can get broke in non violent ways I'm sure. But, it's a piece of this puzzle. Surely if it was busted for a while, someone would have seen it and can verify that. Sheila when she visited or the daughters bf, someone. I think if Barry did it before the dreadful day in question, then Suzanne would have told Sheila because she seemed to share all the other details so why not that one?

So we can't proove it, but we can add it to the puzzle pieces. We have to dismiss that as nothing if we believe Barry didn't do it.

Then we have all the other pieces that we have to dismiss for an innocent reason also. There is just too many of those pieces we have to dismiss.

At what point is it that people realize the puzzle can't be put together without Barry? The picture may not be fully clear yet because someone covered their tracks, but what is clear is that we can't put this puzzle together without Barry.

It's a fact that the door frame was fractured during the Morphews residency. The prior owners confirmed to investigators the frame was intact when new owners took possession.

FWIW I think Barry destroyed Suzanne's phone and threw it in the creek, expecting it to be found, in an exceptionally useless state.

Went swimming later in search of the same.

JMO

i am speaking of the dna being a moot point. IE knew that.

How?
If the court tells an atty they committed a Brady violation that's it. They are sanctioned (or worse - get the conviction overturned or case thrown out with prejudice). If they don't fix it they should expect the same issue to recur. So insofar as whether the ACTUAL outcome of DNA testing would be relevant, perhaps that is moot. But the issue of DNA disclosure is anything but moot, making DNA, on the contrary, front and center.

We will have to agree to disagree.

jmo
Thank you.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out

I recall IE claimed the missing mileage was not the left turn but a trip to a store which doesn’t match the telematics record for Saturday

Does anyone remember where she claimed that?
It was during the preliminary where IE argued that BM was shopping at the spa/stove store with early close hours on Saturday, and where investigators couldn't find a store receipt or evidence BM was there before or after closing hours.

I am not sure if the question was answered, but we did spend a lot of time discussing it (to the point that, well, I think most of us believe that part of Barry's running around was...removing security cameras). They were trail cams, IIRC (although I don't remember how we know that - I just know that it was the first time I learned much about trail cams). Barry came up with the turkey and chipmunk stories in order to explain what he was doing.

Another odd thing involving the house exterior was the still bloody hacked off antlers leaning against the north wall of the garage, I believe. He was "cleaning" them. But Andy Moorman reported that a mountain lion was seen right at Puma Path by a policeman, I believe he said. I believe Barry put the bloody skull top and antlers (elk, I think) out there to attract a mountain lion. It's possible or likely that he hunted out of season (I can't remember) but taken all together, it looks to me as if Barry wanted to capture a mountain lion on the trail cam, but probably ended up having to throw those cameras away on one of his five trash dumps, as he had no time to download and edit any footage from them (Barry Morphew has many plans, but he is quite wonky when it comes to executing them).

IMO.
Also, Macy Morphews boyfriend said on camera to the police that the cameras were not working. This video has been posted here several times and is probably in the media thread.

As I'm looking at his truck data, I realize LE has more data than we can see. They can go back now and see if he was ever in that area where she was dumped. I know that doesn't mean he was there that day, but it would show he knew about that area. I was watching a YouTube video of the area they found her and the person said it was off the main road on an access road that goes to BLM land... Maybe some BLM land Barry has hunted on before?

Yes we can only see what the defence exhibited in the prelim.

It was during the preliminary where IE argued that BM was shopping at the spa/stove store with early close hours on Saturday, and where investigators couldn't find a store receipt or evidence BM was there before or after closing hours.

Yea that’s the one.

Yet telematics does not show this.

I find it curious how this could explain the missing mileage.

This has probably been discussed thoroughly in past posts, but –

We can add to the voluminous catalogue of Mr. Morphew’s untruths, distortions, misremembrances, and incidences of selective amnesia the following:

From page 81 of the Arrest Affidavit: “Barry was asked about changing from a black to a gray shirt. Barry said it was because gray would reflect the sun.” (while he was going back and forth from the room and the dumpster or his truck).

Note below, the weather in Broomfield, on Mother’s Day, 2020 (55°F/13°C at noon, a high of 59°F/15°C and a light breeze). In these conditions, sun reflectance wouldn’t be a major wardrobe selection criterion (I’d think).
1696798781937.png
In a somewhat related hotel inconsistency, Mr. Puckett, one of his helpers, said, “I got there Sunday night and the room smelled like chlorine real bad,” and “It was his room and he’d taken a shower — his towels were all over the floor.” YET, Mr. Morphew told LE he showered before leaving his home around 5AM (page 105 of AA).

Taking a shower every 5 hours, when all you have done is drive, make a few trash (aka evidence) dumps, and visually inspect a wall, might suggest a clean freak of sorts. However, having seen pictures of his truck in the Prosecutor’s Preliminary Hearing Exhibits (#s 75 and 76) and reflecting for a microsecond on his other conduct at the time, I’m thinking not.

Something else that is bothering me is the night before. Friday night he wanted her to go to that job site. It's the same one that was in question with the neighbor hearing noise and then LE spending all that time digging right? She went but met him there correct? I might be remembering wrong, but I thought that was the story. She went and met him in her car. They then went to the pizza place to pick up food and Suzanne sent that photo to her daughters. Seems odd to me on the surface.. but what if she was documenting that HE was with her. Did she have a bad feeling about something and she sent that photo so they would know their dad was with her at that time if something happened to her?

I thought I read something about looking at houses and then pizza?

Can't recall specifically.

How?
If the court tells an atty they committed a Brady violation that's it. They are sanctioned. If they don't fix it they should expect the same. So insofar as whether the ACTUAL outcome of DNA would be relevant, perhaps that is moot. Be the issue of DNA disclosure is anything but moot. On the contrary, it is front and center.

We will have to agree to disagree.
I would ask Seattle or 10ofRods to explain this to you. It is posted some threads back, maybe in the last two threads. There have been ongoing discussions with people who know about dna for the last three years. I’m not trying to dismiss your question. It’s a matter of it being only a partial dna in the glovebox of Suzannes car that could be a partial to thousands of us, i.e., her car mechanic, etc. In short, why would the killer touch her glove box while he didn’t drive the car, her purse was in the car and other items, with no mysterious dna on them. The killer didn’t take her purse either. Wouldn’t it make sense there would be dna on her bike or her home or her car if someone kidnapped her?

Additionally, the court was following IE’s lead, imo, because a disgruntled LE officer who was not even up to date on the dna findings told IE about it. I know I am getting into the weeds about his.

To be factual, I would ask @Seattle1 or @10ofRods to reply to you so they can explain it. They are both experts about this, as well as others here.

I would ask Seattle or 10ofRods to explain this to you. It is posted some threads back, maybe in the last two threads. There have been ongoing discussions with people who know about dna for the last three years. I’m not trying to dismiss your question. It’s a matter of it being only a partial dna in the glovebox of Suzannes car that could be a partial to thousands of us, i.e., her car mechanic, etc. In short, why would the killer touch her glove box while he didn’t drive the car, her purse was in the car and other items, with no mysterious dna on them. The killer didn’t take her purse either. Wouldn’t it make sense there would be dna on her bike or her home or her car if someone kidnapped her?

Additionally, the court was following IE’s lead, imo, because a disgruntled LE officer who was not even up to date on the dna findings told IE about it. I know I am getting into the weeds about his.

To be factual, I would ask @Seattle1 or @10ofRods to reply to you so they can explain it. They are both experts about this, as well as others here.
And yet the killer did drive her car. Didn't take her little purse because he was prepared to siphon her big life savings.

JMO

Greetings, I am new to this case. I have a question that likely has been answered somewhere in the previous 100+ threads but I am hoping someone knows it.

Question: What happened to the security cameras? I thought at some point Suzanne told her friend that Barry had cameras everywhere. Was part of the chipmunk hunt the task of taking down the cameras? Or did he take them down in advance? If the security cameras were monitored by an app, wouldn't there be evidence of that in his phone or computer records?

Aside: I try not to make too many assumptions about the psychology of the accused, because a lot of what we do here is projection. But based on what I have read here, Barry seems like the epitome of toxic masculinity. So many malignant, narcissistic traits--yet ordinary at the same time. He's not a a freak of nature. In a way, he is boring. He just takes all the mundane bad traits and feelings that might briefly flash through a regular person's thoughts and takes them to the nth degree.

The house came with a dated, monitored security system which was not continued by Morphews. The investigation also revealed disconnected security cables inside with SM's DNA.

Instead, BM opted for trail cams to surveil his property which he could easily access from his cell phone. IMO, it was prior to lunch on Saturday when BM collected the trail cams -- telling investigators he was looking for a turkey previously shot by his daughter. IIRC, the trail cams were located abandoned inside the disordered garage.

SM also believed BM was using mini spy cameras inside the house and suspected cameras were positioned inside his mounts! Investigators did in-fact find an empty spy camera box inside a bathroom drawer but did not locate a camera. All MOO.

First time I've heard it. ..Where did you read that the B/G violations were the reasons for the experts being de-experted?

[snipped by me]

ORDER RE: [D-17] DEFENDANT’S RENEWED MOTION FOR DISCOVERY AND CONTEMPT SANCTIONS AND FORTHWITH HEARING; [D-17A] SUPPLEMENT; [D-17B] SUPPLEMENT; [D-17C] SUPPLEMENT; AND [D-17D] SUPPLEMENT

"Rule 16(I)(a)(2) requires the prosecuting attorney to disclose to the defense “any material or information within his or her possession or control which tends to negate the guilt of the accused as to the offense charged or would tend to reduce the punishment therefor.” See Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83, 88, 83 S.Ct. 1194, 10 L.Ed.2d 215 (1963). Specifically, the prosecution must disclose exculpatory evidence to the defense, meaning evidence that is material. “[E]vidence is material only if there is a reasonable probability that, had the evidence been disclosed to the defense, the result of the proceeding would have been different... Exculpatory evidence includes evidence which bears on the credibility of a witness the prosecution intends to call at trial. People v. Dist. Ct. of Colorado's Seventeenth Jud. Dist., 793 P.2d 163, 166 (Colo. 1990)(citing Giglio v. United States, 405 U.S. 150, 154–55, 92 S.Ct. 763, 766, 31 L.Ed.2d 104 (1972)).

WHEREFORE, for the reasons stated above and in the Court’s discretion, the Court concludes as follows:
  1. The Court finds a continuing pattern by the People of an inability and failure to comply with its Rule 16 obligations as well as the Court’s case management orders;
  2. The Court finds the People’s actions amount to negligent, and arguably, reckless disregard for their Rule 16 obligations and duty to abide by court orders;....
... 5. The Court finds the following as it relates to a request for sanctions:

1. Megan Duge, Andrew McDermott, Kevin Hoyland (excluded the witnesses as expert witnesses);
  2. James Stevens, Kenneth Hicks, Alex Walker, Andy Rohrich, Jonathan Grusing, Derek Graham, Ken Harris (not permitted to provide expert testimony; free to provide lay opinions); and
  3. Caitlin Rogers (may provide expert testimony, but restricted to the four corners of her current report);
on top of the previous exclusion of

... another proffered expert witness (Mr. Doug Spence) albeit based upon the stipulation of the People;

...[The] March 10 and 30, 2022, [exclusions], 11 out of 16 of the People’s endorsed expert witnesses.13 See [P-44] generally. Three additional experts were excluded on other grounds.14 The Court finds the exclusion of these witnesses amounts to a significant sanction, but one that was warranted based upon the record;

... The People argued, at one point, to this Court that the information withheld pertained to an ongoing investigation and it was not discoverable information. The Court wholeheartedly disagrees with this sentiment. Rule 16 is titled “Discovery and Procedure before Trial.” This title embraces the sentiment that discovery in a pending case includes ongoing investigations, testing, etc. If the ongoing investigation produces information, reports, etc. that “tends to negate the guilt of the accused,” it must be disclosed.

It is even more serious in situations, such as this case, where the Defendant was held on a no bond hold pending the PEPG and Preliminary Hearing. Defendant was held on a no bond hold from May through September 2021.7 In this case, information from the numerous meetings between law enforcement and the District Attorneys with CBI DNA analysts concerning the CODIS matches should have been reduced to writing and disclosed to the defense. The prosecution cannot circumvent an obligation to disclose exculpatory information by deliberately avoiding

6 Certainly, relevant and exculpatory information was not produced in a timely fashion, however, the People ultimately did disclose it and the defense is now in possession of it prior to trial.
7 Defendant currently is out on bond and has been now since September 2021.

Page 13 of 20

taking notes or reducing statements to writing. People v. Anderson, 837 P.2d 293, 299 (Colo. App. 1992). Even law enforcement witnesses conceded this information may be material or have exculpatory value. See e.g. Tr., at 103:25-105:10(Feb. 24, 2022)(Commander Alex Walker agreeing that an unknown male DNA profile linking to potential leads with unsolved sexual assault cases would be favorable to the defense).

The CODIS matches were discoverable materials. Also, any steps taken to rule out the possible source of the foreign male DNA (i.e., who was swabbed, who has been ruled out as a source) is exculpatory information to the accused in a pending criminal prosecution and, therefore, must be turned over. The Court finds that the meetings regarding DNA discussed exculpatory information and information favorable to the accused during the pendency of a criminal prosecution. Therefore, it was incumbent upon law enforcement to reduce said information to writing and disclose it to the defense. The Court finds that the People’s failure to disclose the unknown foreign male DNA and investigative steps being taken in the summer of 2021 prior to, during, and after the PEPG and Preliminary Hearing, constitutes a violation of Rule 16 and the Court’s orders.

Lastly, it is unclear to the Court how much information the affiant had when he submitted the probable cause affidavit or whether CBI failed to disclose certain evidence to the affiant who then unwittingly omitted material information. The affidavit states it “was edited and reviewed by SA Kenneth Harris and CBI Agents Joseph Cahill and Derek Graham.” Aff., at 2. While Mr. Cahill testified under oath at the preliminary hearing that he had only reviewed 19 pages of the affidavit, at another hearing, he was impeached by the defense with an e-mail he sent to the affiant where he stated he reviewed the affidavit in its “entirety” and noted the affidavit “lacks detail and specificity”, in particular, “regarding allegations, suspicions, evidence of other possible involved people, and the investigative steps and results.” See Ex. 23, 2 (Feb. 8, 2022).

But even so, there is no requirement that an affiant include all information in discovery in support of an arrest warrant, and the defense is not challenging the validity of the warrant itself, i.e., arguing it lacked probable cause. Rather, the defense contends that the foregoing omissions should have been disclosed through the discovery process shortly after Mr. Morphew’s arrest, and that the prosecution’s failure to do so constitutes a discovery violation. The Court agrees.

Last edited:
Also, Macy Morphews boyfriend said on camera to the police that the cameras were not working. This video has been posted here several times and is probably in the media thread.
@10ofRods was possibly talking about the supposed Game Cameras Barry had placed? MM's boyfriend was talking about home security cameras in his interview. JMO -

Sep 30, 2023
Post #948
Refresh my memory. Why didn't LE simply tap the geneology sites to see if they could track down the person who deposited the DNA on the glovebox? If the answer is as simple as - the DNA belonged to a service tech who replaced the cab air filter during a service. Seems like a simple thing to eliminate or explain?

@10ofRods replied to @Knox

Because

1) they only had PARTIAL DNA. Partial. Othram needs a full sample and so does every other IGG site I know of. That's why they needed Kohberger's dad's DNA (different case, but most of you are familiar with it).

They didn't even have 18 SNP's! Othram uses...600,000.

So here's the problem with even considering this.

How would you feel if your relative (who has uploaded to Othram) is identified as a possible match (and therefore, we turn to regular pedigrees and family lines - as happened in the DeAngelo case) YOU are identified as a possible match. You are contacted by FBI. You try to remember where you were that day that they're interested in. Does this sound like a good way to do law enforcement? No matter what your alibi, you are still on a list of potential suspects and the alibi needs to be really good (you have proof you were not anywhere near the crime, you were at work, with a camera on you, hundreds or thousands of miles away). Now your name is in the LE files (which can become public under various circumstances),

Yikes. If you sent 18 out of 600,000 SNP's to Othram, it would match thousands and thousands of people. Maybe tens of thousands (more likely, really). What is LE supposed to do with that? Attempt to verify alibis for 10,000 people each time there's DNA found somewhere at a crime scene?

Why not do that with the helmet DNA too? And then the bike DNA? (The answer there, I believe, is that the person whose DNA matched those came forward and that cleared him - because he had a reason to have his DNA on the helmet - he sold it to Suzanne).

Does anyone here really think that the bike shop owner in Salida should have been treated as a suspect and should be named publicly (say, by the Defense)? The Defense knows this partial match is bogus and that the person to whom it belongs isn't even a felon and no one has his identity. Perfect Patsy. But tomorrow, that person could be charged with a felony and have his complete DNA put in CODIS, and now...he'd need an alibi. But if his actual DNA is still a partial match - he walks free, it isn't him.

To put it another way, Glovebox Guy is not that sex offender. Glovebox guy only PARTIALLY matches the CODIS sex offender. But does it matter? Glovebox Guy is SOMEONE. Should he be hunted down via IGG? Why?? His whole life turned upside down because a distant relative of his is a sex offender and he touched an owners manual while doing his job? No evidence of criminal activity in the car at all. ALL owners' manuals have some DNA on them that comes from the manufacturing process (so does most underwear, although I will say that many Chinese manufacturers and some in Germany are now trying to prevent employee DNA from getting on products for just these reasons. It's very very expensive to do, though (you exhale your DNA as you breathe, so they have to basically be in space suits).

If that sex offender is found, the CODIS results will still not be a complete match to the Glovebox DNA, because it wasn't a complete match on the 18 markers CODIS uses (I may be off a little on my number there, because I haven't been to CODIS today, it changes once in a while and it makes no difference to this discussion - but others can feel free to try and understand the multi-volume work behind CODIS if they want to, it's quite the rabbit hole.) If the sex offender is apprehended and charged and typical procedure is followed, then his entire profile goes into CODIS (but CODIS STILL won't be using his entire genome to make their match - it's merely an investigative tool, sex offender will match his other crimes - but he will not match the Glovebox Guy's full profile, which is why GG is only a PARTIAL match in the first place.

Because

1) they only had PARTIAL DNA. Partial. Othram needs a full sample and so does every other IGG site I know of. That's why they needed Kohberger's dad's DNA (different case, but most of you are familiar with it).

The confusion keeps perpetuating. That's what happens when forensic analysis is used to make a legal argument. It's not about the end result. It's about the disclosure. Get the evidence IN first (or, argue that it's not discoverable or admissible), but in either event, disclose it properly, and THEN make the forensic argument. Since this can't seem to penetrate I am done getting attacked for trying to bang this nail.

jmo

Last edited:

I'm good. Thanks. Partial DNA is not the issue. This is the difference between making a forensic argument and complying with legal disclosure requirements.
jmo

Sep 30, 2023
Post #948

Because

How would you feel if your relative (who has uploaded to Othram) is identified as a possible match (and therefore, we turn to regular pedigrees and family lines - as happened in the DeAngelo case) YOU are identified as a possible match. You are contacted by FBI. You try to remember where you were that day that they're interested in. Does this sound like a good way to do law enforcement? No matter what your alibi, you are still on a list of potential suspects and the alibi needs to be really good (you have proof you were not anywhere near the crime, you were at work, with a camera on you, hundreds or thousands of miles away). Now your name is in the LE files (which can become public under various circumstances),

Yikes. If you sent 18 out of 600,000 SNP's to Othram, it would match thousands and thousands of people. Maybe tens of thousands (more likely, really). What is LE supposed to do with that? Attempt to verify alibis for 10,000 people each time there's DNA found somewhere at a crime scene?

Why not do that with the helmet DNA too? And then the bike DNA? (The answer there, I believe, is that the person whose DNA matched those came forward and that cleared him - because he had a reason to have his DNA on the helmet - he sold it to Suzanne).

Does anyone here really think that the bike shop owner in Salida should have been treated as a suspect and should be named publicly (say, by the Defense)? The Defense knows this partial match is bogus and that the person to whom it belongs isn't even a felon and no one has his identity. Perfect Patsy. But tomorrow, that person could be charged with a felony and have his complete DNA put in CODIS, and now...he'd need an alibi. But if his actual DNA is still a partial match - he walks free, it isn't him.

To put it another way, Glovebox Guy is not that sex offender. Glovebox guy only PARTIALLY matches the CODIS sex offender. But does it matter? Glovebox Guy is SOMEONE. Should he be hunted down via IGG? Why?? His whole life turned upside down because a distant relative of his is a sex offender and he touched an owners manual while doing his job? No evidence of criminal activity in the car at all. ALL owners' manuals have some DNA on them that comes from the manufacturing process (so does most underwear, although I will say that many Chinese manufacturers and some in Germany are now trying to prevent employee DNA from getting on products for just these reasons. It's very very expensive to do, though (you exhale your DNA as you breathe, so they have to basically be in space suits).

If that sex offender is found, the CODIS results will still not be a complete match to the Glovebox DNA, because it wasn't a complete match on the 18 markers CODIS uses (I may be off a little on my number there, because I haven't been to CODIS today, it changes once in a while and it makes no difference to this discussion - but others can feel free to try and understand the multi-volume work behind CODIS if they want to, it's quite the rabbit hole.) If the sex offender is apprehended and charged and typical procedure is followed, then his entire profile goes into CODIS (but CODIS STILL won't be using his entire genome to make their match - it's merely an investigative tool, sex offender will match his other crimes - but he will not match the Glovebox Guy's full profile, which is why GG is only a PARTIAL match in the first place.
Thank you!

It's a fact that the door frame was fractured during the Morphews residency. The prior owners confirmed to investigators the frame was intact when new owners took possession.
I suspect that door frame was damaged on May 9th. I hope the one person that lived in that house that would know the condition of that door on May 5th considers the gravity of what that could mean if it was in tact when she went on that camping trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971