Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed all of that but... WHAT?
Judge Llama has been out there on the interview circuit since all this hubbub re LS has hit the press. I believe the "unhinged" description used by the OP was Llama's description of the person putting forth the suggestion that Llama himself was involved in DV while married . Evidently as per msm LE decided the accusations were not credible so chose not to investigate. Linda disagreed and chose to investigate.

It has not been mentioned who this you tuber is in msm that I have seen - although I suspect many of us know.
I don't have a problem with Linda looking into DV allegations. We all know cases where DV was not taken seriously by LE.

What I continue to find fascinating is the fact that Llama is putting himself out there on the interview circuit -( almost like a PR move when you want to get ahead of something).
The prudent thing to do would have been to sit back and let the process unfold. Why was he using those terms "unhinged" etc to describe the you tubber ? Seems to me he was looking to discredit him.Why discredit the person if their claims have no basis. Even if you find the person unhinged that's really not the point and I guess could be considered defammation of the you tubber.

Pretty much a good example of Llama once again not using good judgement. And maybe even trying to "showboat"
now that he is in private practice. Maybe he wants to curry favor with Eytan.

Fortunately while all these distractions are occuring Suzanne's autopsy is being handled and the case continues to be investigated.

This stuff is all just an interesting albeit dysfunctional and a sad side show

JMO

Anyone want to weigh in?--

(Accounting for the beach site as a possible PlanA), do we think he barried her near Moffat as Plan B or was there an intermediate barry-all (mine, pod, grave), from which age was later moved to Moffat?

I'm thinking she was taken to Moffat that night, but he wouldn't be the first to move a body.

It's nothing short of providental that her scattered remains were ever located.

Secretly I hope LE has the vehicle he used to get her there and it's evidence from that vehicle's telematics that led them out there to look. But I'm also okay with them backtracking from there and getting fresh warrants now.

IE won't be any too happy when LE can place Barry in that field.

And that makes me happy.

JMO

I haven't followed all of that but... WHAT?

IMO - it's wild. The full complaint is included in the article.

Former judge in Morphew case accuses district attorney of investigation into his family as retribution for rulings

"Some YouTuber in a bulletproof vest appeared on video essentially threatening me, doxing me and my family, asking me to get off the case or more was coming. Something to that effect," Lama said. "It was disturbing. It was a 22-minute video of a rant because he didn’t like my rulings in the Barry Morphew case."

Lama said the video was full of unfounded conspiracy theories, including a claim that he abused his ex-wife.

"Totally crazy. I never abused my ex-wife. Just baseless," Lama said. "And he’s in a bulletproof vest, looking at the camera, saying you better get off or more is coming."

Court filings suggest Stanley saw that video, too.

Judge Llama has been out there on the interview circuit since all this hubbub re LS has hit the press. I believe the "unhinged" description used by the OP was Llama's description of the person putting forth the suggestion that Llama himself was involved in DV while married . Evidently as per msm LE decided the accusations were not credible so chose not to investigate. Linda disagreed and chose to investigate.

It has not been mentioned who this you tuber is in msm that I have seen - although I suspect many of us know.
I don't have a problem with Linda looking into DV allegations. We all know cases where DV was not taken seriously by LE.

What I continue to find fascinating is the fact that Llama is putting himself out there on the interview circuit -( almost like a PR move when you want to get ahead of something).
The prudent thing to do would have been to sit back and let the process unfold. Why was he using those terms "unhinged" etc to describe the you tubber ? Seems to me he was looking to discredit him.Why discredit the person if their claims have no basis. Even if you find the person unhinged that's really not the point and I guess could be considered defammation of the you tubber.

Pretty much a good example of Llama once again not using good judgement. And maybe even trying to "showboat"

Fortunately while all these distractions are occuring Suzanne's autopsy is being handled and the case continues to be investigated.

JMO
Agree absolutely (and not in a Charlie Adelson way) with the bolded observations.

I've been mystified in several cases recently where there seems to have been a sort of convergence between the actual case at issue and its cast of characters, and the YT/ podcast / pundits class who are ostensibly there to opine on events, and end up becoming part of them.

I live and work between the UK and Canada, where there's far less reporting on cases in advance of trials. It makes for less excitement and certainly discursive space in and around cases, but I wonder at whether new media perhaps require a resetting of the balance between case security and transparency, or whether it's more a question of specific cases and specific actors.

The Delphi case is another that comes to mind in terms of the horrific crimes and their fallout increasingly being obscured by the sideshow(s) now surrounding it.

IMO - it's wild. The full complaint is included in the article.

Former judge in Morphew case accuses district attorney of investigation into his family as retribution for rulings

"Some YouTuber in a bulletproof vest appeared on video essentially threatening me, doxing me and my family, asking me to get off the case or more was coming. Something to that effect," Lama said. "It was disturbing. It was a 22-minute video of a rant because he didn’t like my rulings in the Barry Morphew case."

Lama said the video was full of unfounded conspiracy theories, including a claim that he abused his ex-wife.

"Totally crazy. I never abused my ex-wife. Just baseless," Lama said. "And he’s in a bulletproof vest, looking at the camera, saying you better get off or more is coming."

Court filings suggest Stanley saw that video, too.
Well that's just absolute Crazytown.
So the weirdo wearing a bulletproof vest... I can't recall his name but I'm pretty sure I've seen that guy's channel. Something something Investigates?

Agree absolutely (and not in a Charlie Adelson way) with the bolded observations.

I've been mystified in several cases recently where there seems to have been a sort of convergence between the actual case at issue and its cast of characters, and the YT/ podcast / pundits class who are ostensibly there to opine on events, and end up becoming part of them.

I live and work between the UK and Canada, where there's far less reporting on cases in advance of trials. It makes for less excitement and certainly discursive space in and around cases, but I wonder at whether new media perhaps require a resetting of the balance between case security and transparency, or whether it's more a question of specific cases and specific actors.

The Delphi case is another that comes to mind in terms of the horrific crimes and their fallout increasingly being obscured by the sideshow(s) now surrounding it.
I don’t believe in any type of media censorship. I do expect all involved parties (judges, lawyers, witnesses, etc) to use discretion and maintain at least a semblance of good judgment.

It appears both the judge and the prosecutor never learned that in law school or in growing up. It appears the defense lawyer never learned that either. What a shame because a woman was murdered.

As for new media like you tube, facebook, etc., adults should take all that with a grain of salt. Life is serious. Murder is serious. I’m tired of the games played by all.

JMO
Maybe but I myself might use the term “unhinged” if a You Tuber was wearing a bullet proof vest and threatening me :-) on a publicly available visual platform. I am not sure there are alternative words that he could have been used lol. Judge Lama is also probably angry so isn’t going to mince words. I really don’t know if I have ever seen a crazier case than this one.

I don’t believe in any type of media censorship. I do expect all involved parties (judges, lawyers, witnesses, etc) to use discretion and maintain at least a semblance of good judgment.

It appears both the judge and the prosecutor never learned that in law school or in growing up. It appears the defense lawyer never learned that either. What a shame because a woman was murdered.

As for new media like you tube, facebook, etc., adults should take all that with a grain of salt. Life is serious. Murder is serious. I’m tired of the games played by all.
I don’t believe freedom of speech should cover personal threats regardless of the newness of the outlet. I can handle alot of crazy claims or ignore blatant BS I choose to ignore but I also would draw the line at obviously personal threats. This was a threat in my mind. I don’t think the judge is “playing games”. People can talk smack about him or dream up cutesy names on social media or any number of things and he can probably take that within limits and ignore but a threat is beyond pale in my opinion. And not to mention a crime - I recall a news article about a guy getting 2 years for threatening a judge. The sentencing judge said his grievances were imaginary but the threats were real. Judge Lama didn't even broadcast The Youtuber's name although it's not difficult to figure out if you follow the case. The guy is lucky IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe but I myself might use the term “unhinged” if a You Tuber was wearing a bullet proof vest and threatening me :) on a publicly available visual platform. I am not sure there are alternative words that he could have been used lol. Judge Lama is also probably angry so isn’t going to mince words. I really don’t know if I have ever seen a crazier case than this one.
If he's referring to the same youtuber I'm thinking he is, the guy is most certainly unhinged. Just to avoid any needless speculation, is this youtuber actually named anywhere? I read the document linked but didn't see any name.

I don't believe this. We use Gmail at work and our emails are not automatically deleted at any time (other than the spam folder).
I believe it. I work in the medical field at a hospital affiliated with a university. I'm an employee of both the hospital side and the university side. My emails for both are in one account and they are automatically deleted within a set time period - 6 months or less. I've learned to forward stuff to my Gmail (if it is not secure/not violating HIPAA in content) and I need it longer than 6 months. Thus, all employees of both the hospital system and the university here are in the same situation as me.

Unfortunately, we are live during a time where not all media (MSM vs Social Media vs YouTube), and not all Courtrooms, are created equally.

Specific to Colorado, the State's Constitution has long prevented cameras (i.e., live streaming) in the courtroom EXCEPT for advisements and arraignments, at the Court's discretion.

Just as many don't understand the difference between MSM and social media, here, the courts and civil rights advocates are constantly chartering unknown waters.

And we can no longer assume good judgement will be practiced by all and the envelope is constantly being pushed! For example, pursuant to Colorado Open Records Act (CORA), anybody can purchase the case file of a child murder case or a child's autopsy and autopsy photos, and broadcast them on both MSM and/or social media-- all in the name of freedom of information and speech!

If there was any benefit of COVID19 to the Colorado justice system, it was the introduction of live streaming by the Courts own system (virtual court such as WebEx) which I hope will sooner than later introduce some changes to the "no cameras" in Colorado courts to improve transparency. JMO

If he's referring to the same youtuber I'm thinking he is, the guy is most certainly unhinged. Just to avoid any needless speculation, is this youtuber actually named anywhere? I read the document linked but didn't see any name.
Nope I don't think Lama outed him publicly and I doubt any legitimate news would out him.

I don't think it matters since even youtubers are protected under the US Constitution to free speech where the subject could easily argue Lama's perception of him as being "threatening"-- based on his choice of clothing, is both false and unfair. The statements were obviously not actionable, which is when we know his identity. JMO

Last edited:
I don't believe this. We use Gmail at work and our emails are not automatically deleted at any time (other than the spam folder).
I don't believe it. We can't use blocked sites, gmail, YouTube, Facebook etc etc. Hotmail in the old days. They are blocked. At my workplace if email deletions happened heads would roll. You can only use work devices for work and personal devices for personal, and there are consequences. Emails are not deleted. And if you quit, are fired, move to a new job, retire etc, your email account is NOT deleted, they call it being put in "suspense" iirc. For legal reasons etc. This CBI deletion policy, if true, is outrageous imo.

Unfortunately, we are live during a time where not all media (MSM vs Social Media vs YouTube), and not all Courtrooms, are created equally.

Specific to Colorado, the State's Constitution has long prevented cameras (i.e., live streaming) in the courtroom EXCEPT for advisements and arraignments, at the Court's discretion.

Just as many don't understand the difference between MSM and social media, here, the courts and civil rights advocates are constantly chartering unknown waters.

And we can no longer assume good judgement will be practiced by all and the envelope is constantly being pushed! For example, pursuant to Colorado Open Records Act (CORA), anybody can purchase the case file of a child murder case or a child's autopsy and autopsy photos, and broadcast them on both MSM and/or social media-- all in the name of freedom of information and speech!

If there was any benefit of COVID19 to the Colorado justice system, it was the introduction of live streaming by the Courts own system (virtual court such as WebEx) which I hope will sooner than later introduce some changes to the "no cameras" in Colorado courts to improve transparency. JMO
Bbm, disgusting, jmo.

Last edited:
Anyone want to weigh in?--

(Accounting for the beach site as a possible PlanA), do we think he barried her near Moffat as Plan B or was there an intermediate barry-all (mine, pod, grave), from which age was later moved to Moffat?

I'm thinking she was taken to Moffat that night, but he wouldn't be the first to move a body.

It's nothing short of providental that her scattered remains were ever located.

Secretly I hope LE has the vehicle he used to get her there and it's evidence from that vehicle's telematics that led them out there to look. But I'm also okay with them backtracking from there and getting fresh warrants now.

IE won't be any too happy when LE can place Barry in that field.

And that makes me happy.

JMO
I do not know if Moffat was his original intent but then he had to pivot bc of unforeseen circumstances, but I do think that Moffat was the first and only “ resting” place for SM.
I suspect LE will find during investigation that he was very familiar with the area. As always I am hopeful that those who know things will speak up. Thinking mostly right now of a BM good friend who did 4 or 400 tours. Just my opinion

I do not know if Moffat was his original intent but then he had to pivot bc of unforeseen circumstances, but I do think that Moffat was the first and only “ resting” place for SM.
I suspect LE will find during investigation that he was very familiar with the area. As always I am hopeful that those who know things will speak up. Thinking mostly right now of a BM good friend who did 4 or 400 tours. Just my opinion
Short of something in the autopsy, I think it will be key to any new case to "get" him to Moffat within the GPS, cameras, telematics, etc. that are known by LE. Since we just saw some but not all of that info it's hard to say what LE can connect right now. I don't think "having time" in the middle of the night alone will cut it...most people that aren't 3rd shifters have time in the middle of the night to go for a several hour drive. "knowing the Moffat area isn't enough I don't think. I think it's gotta be more for a DA to take up the challenge of another trial. Add that to -- where was she leading up to a middle of the night dash to Moffat relative to a time of death? What did JL actually tell LE about last communications. Lotsa pieces still needed for a solid second attempt in my opinion and they need to be more solid than prosecution saying "we think" which was prominent in the first trial instead of "we know because XYZ". Justice is not revenge so my mantra is "get it right" whatever "right" turns out to be. I like to think that new people will be able to put aside all that came before and start fresh intelligently and ethically and successfully.

I would expect that Mr. Morphew was well acquainted with the Moffat burial area. Some of the best hunting units in Colorado are on the west side of the San Luis Valley.

The map below shows game management units (GMUs) around Salida. Units 66, 67 and 68 west of Saguache are some of the most hunted in southwest Colorado with unlimited tags sold in each area. GMUs 681, 682 and 82 are decent for pronghorn, deer and/or elk with easy access.
1699322143769.png
But aside from any potential hunting interest, these areas would be locations where an avid antler collector like Mr. Morphew might seek “sheds”. You may recall his interest in these sheds was so great that he detoured west from his intended route to Broomfield on Mother’s Day (at 4:30AM no less!) after spotting a bull elk (in the dark no less!) so he could later find its shed antlers (page 107 of the Arrest Affidavit). Mr. Morphew’s antler lust was further demonstrated by the fact that he couldn’t just wait for the deer around his house to shed, he had to tranquilize them, and cut the antlers off himself (page 86 of the Arrest Affidavit).

I’m assuming Mr. Morphew’s interest in these bony processes growing from the skulls of deer and elk, in addition to their obvious attraction for home décor, is that they sell for $8 to $16 per pound. In any event, this Morphew profit center is a possible explanation for his familiarity with the San Luis Valley and the Moffat burial area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo