Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it the allegations attributing the DV investigation about Lama was all because of a an unnamed YouTuber is Lama's personal opinion since there's no reference to the YT in the official complaint. Got it...:rolleyes:

11-1-2023

But claim V was the most eye-popping of all, as it alleged that DA Stanley “instructed” her chief investigator Andrew Corey to “interview” the ex-wife of 11th Judicial District Court Judge Ramsey Lama to “uncover information” about his divorce that might lead the presiding judge to recuse himself or other be disqualified from the Morphew case — “despite having had no credible source for suspecting that Judge Lama had physically abused his ex-wife, or other conduct that would justify a criminal investigation.”

From the complaint:

139. Respondent persisted in having her own investigator interview the Judge Lama’s ex-wife, even after Commander [Alex] Walker refused to interview Judge Lama’s ex-wife due to a lack of credible evidence to warrant an interview.
140. Respondent used her position and office’s resources in a manner intended to prevent others, including Judge Lama, from effectively performing their roles in the criminal justice system.
[..]
Stanley allegedly texted other prosecutors “encouraging them to investigate whether Judge Lama ever abused his ex-wife,” the complaint continued:

Respondent decided to interview Iris Lama because,

…we couldn’t understand Judge Lama’s orders that were so egregious against us, and he’s normally not like that. And we were discussing what’s going on, and those two came together. And I said, let’s see if we can get somebody to interview her to see if there was something going on or if she suspects that he is trying to get back at her, essentially, in almost a passive-aggressive way by making this case impossible to prosecute… So we wanted to see if she would say anything to us about any of that or if these actions by the judge may be almost a passive-aggressive move at her.

[..]

Judge Lama resigned in July 2022, citing health and personal reasons.

Stanley has not yet commented on the complaint, but she will have a chance to formally respond to the Office of Attorney Regulation’s complaint.

I take it the allegations attributing the DV investigation about Lama was all because of a an unnamed YouTuber is Lama's personal opinion since there's no reference to the YT in the official complaint. Got it...:rolleyes:

If he's wrong about that, it doesn't help Stanley if she still went forward without any credible information to go on.

If he's wrong about that, it doesn't help Stanley if she still went forward without any credible information to go on.
We don't have that information for this or any of the allegations because LS has not filed her response to the complaint yet. We haven't heard from the investigator either. And MSM isn't the forum for her answers. As for Lama -- to each their own.

Stanley may have just based it on the claim that the ex-wife was an advocate for victims of DV, and then just wildly speculating that she must have been a victim herself.

View attachment 459156
So let’s see…if you are an advocate for improving for the benefit and life of past, current or potential victims of domestic violence you must have experienced it in your marriage. That there is some faulty reasoning lol. The petition does not appear from the snippet to say the judge’s wife was a victim of DV it says she was an advocate.

Of course we here can’t know the details of JL’s relationship with his former wife, but I do understand LS’s concern considering his ruling on the DV. There was not only the physical violence of ”clipping” her nose and pinning her down, but also the more obvious violence in that BM was on trial for murdering SM. On top of that, there’s also the less understood types of DV that Suzanne endured. Many of us who have experienced DV at one point in our lives failed to realize just how badly we were being abused emotionally. There was a time not too long ago where only physical violence was seen as DV and sadly, we the abused, believed it too! Thankfully, things have improved in recent years and the many types of abuse are recognized by professionals. JMHO.

So let’s see…if you are an advocate for improving for the benefit and life of past, current or potential victims of domestic violence you must have experienced it in your marriage. That there is some faulty reasoning lol. The petition does not appear from the snippet to say the judge’s wife was a victim of DV it says she was an advocate.

Of course I am speculating about what she was thinking. We will have to wait for her response to see if there was anything more to it. I am skeptical that there was anything credible though, since the state investigators haven't found it, and since the allegation was denied by the ex-wife after all.

Of course I am speculating about what she was thinking. We will have to wait for her response to see if there was anything more to it. I am skeptical that there was anything credible though, since the state investigators haven't found it, and since the allegation was denied by the ex-wife after all.
From the above post BBM. “..and since the allegation was denied by the ex-wife after all. “
Just speculating but basing my thoughts on past experiences
If I am on the other side of a marriage/divorce from a man who was at one time abusive in some fashion to me during our marriage, what possible benefit is it to me to come forward and make that abuse public at this point? I would deny it too even if it were true.
Perhaps I have alimony and child support being paid to me by my ex. Do I want him to lose his job, or to become known as an abuser? Surely this would effect his standing in the community
and hinder his ability to attract clients
thereby limiting his income potential.
Do I want my child’s friends in school to whisper about her father having been an
“Abuser”.
Do I really want to open up what is a closed book between my ex and I and possibly put myself and my child in a dangerous position by pushing the wrong buttons and angering him ?
I see only downside at this point for the ex were she to open up about any abuse in her former marriage ( if any indeed existed).
She is on the other side of that situation and it does her no good to go back in time, open old wounds and engage with a man she no longer wants to engage with.
One other point I have mentioned before that I continue to find curious. Llama, as he tells it, did not find out about the investigator interviewing his wife from his wife. Now why wouldn’t the ex-wife have phoned Ramsey, if there never had been any abuse and said I had a visit today, Geewiz, what’s up with this?
Per Llama, he was called by the Canon City Sheriff and told a DA was investigating him. So LE calling a judge to tell him a DA was investigating him.
Just my thoughts IMO

From the above post BBM. “..and since the allegation was denied by the ex-wife after all. “
If I am on the other side of a marriage/divorce from a man who was at one time abusive in some fashion to me during our marriage, what possible benefit is it to me to come forward and make that abuse public at this point? I would deny it too even if it were true.
Perhaps I have alimony and child support being paid to me by my ex. Do I want him to lose his job, or to become known as an abuser? Surely this would effect his standing in the community
Do I want my child’s friends in school to whisper about her father having been an
“Abuser”.
Do I really want to open up what is a closed book between my ex and I and possibly put myself and my child in a dangerous position by pushing the wrong buttons and angering him ?
I see only downside at this point for the ex were she to open up about any abuse in her former marriage ( if any indeed existed).
She is on the other side of that situation and it does her no good to go back in time, open old wounds and engage with a man she no longer wants to engage with.
One other point I have mentioned before that I continue to find curious. Llama, as he tells it, did not find out about the investigator interviewing his wife from his wife. Now why wouldn’t the ex-wife have phoned Ramsey, if there never had been any abuse and said I had a visit today, Geewiz, what’s up with this?
Per Llama, he was called by the Canon City Sheriff and told a DA was investigating him. So LE calling a judge to tell him a DA was investigating him.
Just my thoughts IMO
Well said.

“Abuser”.
Just my thoughts IMO
We need to consider acquiring a Holy Man to expel the evil spirits from our justice system. Nationwide demand is massive undertaking, may require a account so let’s initially start with two locations, Chaffee County, CO and Delphi, IN.

“Abuser”.
Just my thoughts IMO
Bbm, I would not contact an ex of mine. Abusive or not. Jmo

The fact that she was found in a different district gives some hope since that DA could take the case. From the public statements, it sounds like they're going to take things slow and redo a lot of the investigation and casework. So I'd be surprised if there was an arrest soon. But I would also be surprised if there wasn't an arrest eventually.

Right.

They need to rebuild the entire case from the ground up IMO - probably with new experts.

Since the discovery of SM's remains, plus other stuff that LE already know, I feel confident probable cause exists for search warrants etc. The base digital evidence the case was founded on still exists, plus the interviews are on the record. So IMO they need to start again.

What I was not sure about is the status of all the investigative resources LE already has e.g the telematics data.

Can they say commission a new CAST expert to analyse that data given it was legitimately obtained via original investigation? Or is the status of all that data in question now?

I am assuming dismissal of the case doesn't mean they need to gather all the evidence all over again - e.g Judge did not make them return evidence.

Anyone want to weigh in?--

(Accounting for the beach site as a possible PlanA), do we think he barried her near Moffat as Plan B or was there an intermediate barry-all (mine, pod, grave), from which age was later moved to Moffat?

I'm thinking she was taken to Moffat that night, but he wouldn't be the first to move a body.

It's nothing short of providental that her scattered remains were ever located.

Secretly I hope LE has the vehicle he used to get her there and it's evidence from that vehicle's telematics that led them out there to look. But I'm also okay with them backtracking from there and getting fresh warrants now.

IE won't be any too happy when LE can place Barry in that field.

And that makes me happy.

JMO

I think the beach site was never plan A

It was a mistaken theory of the case by LE as they thought originally that SM might have been murdered on friday night when she met BM away from the house

I am not so sure that the Prosecution need to show anything about how SM got to Moffat so long as opportunity reasonably existed.

I think they do need to rule out the possibility that she was abducted while on a bike ride.

I think the idea that she was abducted from home and a bike ride staged by a mysterious abductor can be ruled out as fanciful. There would be no reason to try to stage the abduction location when you really just abducted the just down the road at her house.

If the bike ride is staged, then guilt is proved, IMO

Last edited:
I am not so sure that the Prosecution need to show anything about how SM got to Moffat so long as opportunity reasonably existed.

I think they do need to rule out the possibility that she was abducted while on a bike ride.

I think the idea that she was abducted from home and a bike ride staged by a mysterious abductor can be ruled out as fanciful. There would be no reason to try to stage the abduction location when you really just abducted the just down the road at her house.

If the bike ride is staged, then guilt is proved, IMO
I somewhat agree however I think they need to be solid on how and when he got to Moffat and why there is no cadaverine evidence at the home or in vehicles otherwise there could be reasonable doubt in a murder trial. I agree on the Bike...they will need to prove it was staged in order to win otherwise there could be reasonable doubt she wasn't snatched as there is no forensic evidence from the home or "means" that we know of at this point.

Worth a listen for those who like podcast. moo :)

Zone 7 is not a place; it’s a way of life. Dan Murphy and Tom Smith live Zone 7! I had the great honor and privilege to watch them embrace heroes at CrimeCon. Listen to their Master Class on how they see the Suzanne Morphew case!

The former judge in the Suzanne Morphew case is speaking out for the first time about what went on behind the scenes as the first-degree murder case of Barry Morphew wound its way toward a trial that never happened.

Ramsey Lama said that as he oversaw the high-profile case, 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley launched an investigation into his prior marriage looking to dig up dirt on him in order to remove him.

I somewhat agree however I think they need to be solid on how and when he got to Moffat and why there is no cadaverine evidence at the home or in vehicles otherwise there could be reasonable doubt in a murder trial. I agree on the Bike...they will need to prove it was staged in order to win otherwise there could be reasonable doubt she wasn't snatched as there is no forensic evidence from the home or "means" that we know of at this point.
Not true at all that the prosecution has to "prove" the bike was staged or show how and when BM got to Moffat, and why there is no cadaverine evidence in the home or vehicles!

Reasonable doubt means a doubt based upon reason and common sense which arises from a fair and rational consideration of all of the evidence, or the lack of evidence, in the case.

The facts of this case include that the the victim and body was missing for more than three years when it was recovered. This fact and knowing SM died of homicidal means is sufficient for the Judge to give the jurors special instructions that stress to jurors that establishing how SM was killed is not an element for the prosecution to prove.

Fortunately, Colorado juror instructions are directed for interpretation by reasonable people using common sense. Jurors understand that reasonable doubt is something common to their lives – a doubt that would “cause reasonable people to hesitate to act in matters of importance to themselves.”

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member