Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: BM received a little reprieve from the Federal Court until spring:
Oh, bless his dark heart!

March 29, 2024.

Wave bye bye, Barry.

With any luck (karma) at all, criminal charges will come on this side of that date.

IE might have to invent another way to whistle for 15 million.

JMO

@O.Incandenza (or any other lawyers)

Do you know the score on building probable cause post dismissal? Like can the prosecution rely on all the investigative work to date or do they have to rework everything?

So basically the case becomes the previous case + body + whatever else
Not my area at all, so take it with a grain of salt, but it should just be a start over as if the first case never happened. New AA/PCA (or grand jury) and they can use all the information from the previous investigation.

The only hiccup I can think of would be Barry's team arguing that his right to a speedy trial is violated by starting over from the beginning. But that argument was always going to be a hail mary IMO, and with Suzanne being found that's even more true.

"The speedy trial period is calculated separately for each criminal complaint brought against a defendant. When charges in a complaint are properly dismissed within the speedy trial period without prejudice, they become a nullity. If and when the defendant is arraigned under a subsequent information, the speedy trial period begins anew, even if the charges are identical." Huang v. County Court of Douglas County, 98 P.3d 924 (Colo. App. 2003).

I can't wait for another arrest to come down of BM. I do feel for Suzanne's daughters tho. What an awful situation for them to be in all the way around. Someday when they are free to acknowledge the truth and talk about it we'll be hearing from them I believe.

Not my area at all, so take it with a grain of salt, but

Thanks for replying! My knowledge of US procedure is near zero.

it should just be a start over as if the first case never happened. New AA/PCA (or grand jury) and they can use all the information from the previous investigation.

OK that is good to know. I was wondering whether they needed new probable cause for evidence like data etc obtained via warrant
The only hiccup I can think of would be Barry's team arguing that his right to a speedy trial is violated by starting over from the beginning. But that argument was always going to be a hail mary IMO, and with Suzanne being found that's even more true.

"The speedy trial period is calculated separately for each criminal complaint brought against a defendant. When charges in a complaint are properly dismissed within the speedy trial period without prejudice, they become a nullity. If and when the defendant is arraigned under a subsequent information, the speedy trial period begins anew, even if the charges are identical." Huang v. County Court of Douglas County, 98 P.3d 924 (Colo. App. 2003).

That makes sense to me.

I am sure IE would also argue that the expert sanctions should be reapplied to any new trial? Personally I think it is a bad argument because the defendant had his remedy and in many respects the judges approach would be vindicated. Charges were dismissed, and the prosecution did indeed go out and locate the body - if differently to what they hoped.

I can't wait for another arrest to come down of BM. I do feel for Suzanne's daughters tho. What an awful situation for them to be in all the way around. Someday when they are free to acknowledge the truth and talk about it we'll be hearing from them I believe.
You could be right, but I don't see them making a public statement. I believe they will continue to support their father until the bitter end.

I just hope whatever happens, they can eventually move forward in their lives. They had such a close relationship with Suzanne, I can't imagine how much they will miss her, especially during all of the major milestones in life. Marriage, having children, etc., specially if BM is retried and convicted.

What a horrible shame, BM (IMO) has ruined the lives of his entire family. Such a cruel, selfish, little man.

MOO

You could be right, but I don't see them making a public statement. I believe they will continue to support their father until the bitter end.

I just hope whatever happens, they can eventually move forward in their lives. They had such a close relationship with Suzanne, I can't imagine how much they will miss her, especially during all of the major milestones in life. Marriage, having children, etc., specially if BM is retried and convicted.

What a horrible shame, BM (IMO) has ruined the lives of his entire family. Such a cruel, selfish, little man.

MOO
Even if they come to acknowledge his cruelty, I believe they will be bitter toward their mom for having an affair. They may even buy into the story that their dad just broke and killed her for that reason only. If so, they will feel more lost and lonely than they do now. That is on Barry also and I really feel for those girls.

MOO
Or being around as their motherly companion when choosing not to marry or have children.:cool:

I am sure IE would also argue that the expert sanctions should be reapplied to any new trial? Personally I think it is a bad argument because the defendant had his remedy and in many respects the judges approach would be vindicated. Charges were dismissed, and the prosecution did indeed go out and locate the body - if differently to what they hoped.
^^rsbm

Prior to the introduction of new evidence (i.e., body recovered), the expert witness sanctions did cause me concern because the Court would be careful about any defense Motion reminding the Court of the prior sanctions by the court.

In other words, the Court would not want for there to be any appearance of the State pulling an unfair "do-over" by using the dismissal simply to regain the experts. I know I read case law here but did not tag it. Actually, I think it might be a citation by the defense when arguing the case be dismissed with prejudice. I take a look when I have a moment. JMO

^^rsbbm

I was glad to read below that no such argument in Colorado has ever managed the narrow exception window:

C. Colorado’s Speedy Trial Window Calculation when Charges Are Dismissed and Later Refiled: The Restarting Approach

The six-month statutory speedy trial window must restart when the prosecution dismisses and later refiles the same charges, unless the defendant can affirmatively show that the prosecution “indiscriminately” dismissed and refiled the charges specifically to circumvent the speedy trial mandate.

In contrast, for federal and state constitutional speedy trial purposes, Colorado does not restart the speedy trial period, but rather calculates it from the period of the initial filing of charges to the dismissal plus the period after charges are refiled, without counting the period between the dismissal and refiling.62.

The exception to restarting the statutory speedy trial window is a “narrow” exception that only applies when the defendant affirmatively shows that the prosecution dismissed the charges to circumvent the statutory speedy trial mandate. 63

Given how narrow this exception is, Colorado courts have yet to find that a defendant has met this burden, and instead routinely allow the speedy trial period to restart. 64

For example, a Colorado appellate court held that the defendant failed to show that the prosecution attempted to circumvent the speedy trial mandate when the prosecution refiled the charges after the defendant successfully moved to dismiss the initial charges due to an impending speedy trial violation, in a case where the prosecution’s “essential” witness was unavailable when only five days remained of the initial speedy trial window. 65

Similarly, a Colorado appellate court held that the defendant did not meet this burden when the trial court granted the defendant’s motion to dismiss the initial charges after the prosecution, during the initial speedy trial period, asked for a continuance due to the absence of a key witness that would have required setting the trial outside of the initial speedy trial period(but where the prosecution never actually requested a setting outside the speedy trial window). 66

Likewise, the defendant did not meet his burden by offering “proof only that the district attorney sought and obtained a subsequent indictment for different offenses arising from the same transaction.” 67

Further, the exception was not met where the same charges were dismissed and refiled four times due to “uncertainty as to the proper venue.” 68 In sum, Colorado courts have allowed the speedy trial window to restart in a wide range of situations in which the prosecution could not have brought the case to trial within the initial speedy trial period and/or when the initial speedy trial period was close to expiring when the initial charges were dismissed.

62. People v. Nelson, 360 P.3d 175, 181 (Colo. App. 2014); see also infra note 236 and accompanying text.
63. People v. Walker, 252 P.3d 551, 552 (Colo. App. 2011) (holding that the exception was not met when the court sua sponte dismissed the charges days before the expiration of the speedy trial period because the prosecutor’s key witness failed to appear despite the prosecutor’s diligence and where the defendant did not object to the dismissal). See supra note 61 for cases discussing this exception, all of which found that the defendant had not met this burden of showing that the prosecution dismissed and refiled in order to circumvent the speedy trial mandate, and so allowing the speedy trial period to restart for the refiled charges.
64. See infra note 72 and accompanying text.
65. Huang, 98 P.3d 924.
66. Meehan, 762 P.2d 725.
67. People v. Wilkinson, 555 P.2d 1167, 1170 (Colo. App. 1976).68. People v. Dunhill, 570 P.2d 1097, 1099 (Colo. App. 1977).

Statutory Speedy Trial Period Calc - for Dismissed and Later Refiled

Hi @kkdj
I share your hope, but I doubt the girls will ever turn on him. He has manipulated and brainwashed them, similar to how Matt Leili controlled his daughters’ thoughts - (even from prison!) - after he murdered their mother.

jmo

^^rsbbm

I was glad to read below that no such argument in Colorado has ever managed the narrow exception window:

C. Colorado’s Speedy Trial Window Calculation when Charges Are Dismissed and Later Refiled: The Restarting Approach

The six-month statutory speedy trial window must restart when the prosecution dismisses and later refiles the same charges, unless the defendant can affirmatively show that the prosecution “indiscriminately” dismissed and refiled the charges specifically to circumvent the speedy trial mandate.

In contrast, for federal and state constitutional speedy trial purposes, Colorado does not restart the speedy trial period, but rather calculates it from the period of the initial filing of charges to the dismissal plus the period after charges are refiled, without counting the period between the dismissal and refiling.62.

The exception to restarting the statutory speedy trial window is a “narrow” exception that only applies when the defendant affirmatively shows that the prosecution dismissed the charges to circumvent the statutory speedy trial mandate. 63

Given how narrow this exception is, Colorado courts have yet to find that a defendant has met this burden, and instead routinely allow the speedy trial period to restart. 64

For example, a Colorado appellate court held that the defendant failed to show that the prosecution attempted to circumvent the speedy trial mandate when the prosecution refiled the charges after the defendant successfully moved to dismiss the initial charges due to an impending speedy trial violation, in a case where the prosecution’s “essential” witness was unavailable when only five days remained of the initial speedy trial window. 65

Similarly, a Colorado appellate court held that the defendant did not meet this burden when the trial court granted the defendant’s motion to dismiss the initial charges after the prosecution, during the initial speedy trial period, asked for a continuance due to the absence of a key witness that would have required setting the trial outside of the initial speedy trial period(but where the prosecution never actually requested a setting outside the speedy trial window). 66

Likewise, the defendant did not meet his burden by offering “proof only that the district attorney sought and obtained a subsequent indictment for different offenses arising from the same transaction.” 67

Further, the exception was not met where the same charges were dismissed and refiled four times due to “uncertainty as to the proper venue.” 68 In sum, Colorado courts have allowed the speedy trial window to restart in a wide range of situations in which the prosecution could not have brought the case to trial within the initial speedy trial period and/or when the initial speedy trial period was close to expiring when the initial charges were dismissed.

62. People v. Nelson, 360 P.3d 175, 181 (Colo. App. 2014); see also infra note 236 and accompanying text.
63. People v. Walker, 252 P.3d 551, 552 (Colo. App. 2011) (holding that the exception was not met when the court sua sponte dismissed the charges days before the expiration of the speedy trial period because the prosecutor’s key witness failed to appear despite the prosecutor’s diligence and where the defendant did not object to the dismissal). See supra note 61 for cases discussing this exception, all of which found that the defendant had not met this burden of showing that the prosecution dismissed and refiled in order to circumvent the speedy trial mandate, and so allowing the speedy trial period to restart for the refiled charges.
65. Huang, 98 P.3d 924.
67. People v. Wilkinson, 555 P.2d 1167, 1170 (Colo. App. 1976).68. People v. Dunhill, 570 P.2d 1097, 1099 (Colo. App. 1977).

Interesting

Given Lama's ruling of a good faith dismissal, I think you are correct that this won't be an issue. Especially as they actually will have the body for any refiling - so it isn't a case that they are just simply refiling the same case with the same evidence.

^^rsbbm

65. Huang, 98 P.3d 924.

Thank you Seattle1.

Longer video here.

IMO There is a lot of theater in the Marc Salinger above clip - It's worth a watch for sure

The interviewer talks( in a Keith Morrison dateline like voice lol) about how the Republican sherriff wants Linda Stanley out of office even if that means Polis appointing a Democrat.
It might be worth noting that Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper ( elected in 2018) supported a Democrat in the election for DA in the first place - Kaitlyn Turner.
The narrator says to the effect - people are stepping forward, first Judge LLama and now Fremont Sherriff Allen Cooper ... wondering who will be next ....

Sherriff Cooper indicates he has already filed multiple complaints with the attorney regulation council. I wonder what the status of those complaints are ? I wonder why he is agreeing, in his role as a Sheriff/ a member of law enforcemnet - to do a news piece beyond brutually critcal of a sitting DA - the DA he brings cases to.

He says, bc HE wants her out. Isn't it an elected position ? Is he in a position to get a recall petition going or as LE is that inappropriate? Certainly there must be somebody he knows who can get it going.

He says : HE knows what cases need prosecuting and she is not doing what HE wants. HE cannot fix her character (He says if someone makes a few mistakes they can be fixed but that Linda's "mistake" is her character and HE cannot fix her character). HE says he sees alot of similarities in Linda and the people HE puts behind bars. The similarity HE says is that she thinks everybody is at fault but her. I'd say that applies to lots of us who are not behnd bars also maybe even to him. Its a purposeful sound bite nothing more.

IMO He shows very poor judgement in paticipating in this interview. He is a sheriff attacking his sitting DA's character with no specifics - just a big ole character assassination.
Uncalled for and unprofessional and soooo self important
I don't care where you land on Linda this just feels "underbelly" to me
And I am not a Linda fan
JMO

Republican candidate Linda Stanley defeats incumbent Kaitlin Turner in District Attorney race

^^rsbbm

65. Huang, 98 P.3d 924.

Right, IMO they'd essentially need to prove that the prosecution were intentionally lying in their motion to dismiss and misled the judge. So unless emails pop up showing that, I'm not personally worried. And given that Suzanne's body has been found in the interim and that charges are likely to be brought by a new DA in a new district, even that probably wouldn't be enough.

IMO There is a lot of theater in the Marc Salinger above clip - It's worth a watch for sure

The interviewer talks( in a Keith Morrison dateline like voice lol) about how the Republican sherriff wants Linda Stanley out of office even if that means Polis appointing a Democrat.
It might be worth noting that Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper ( elected in 2018) supported a Democrat in the election for DA in the first place - Kaitlyn Turner.
The narrator says to the effect - people are stepping forward, first Judge LLama and now Fremont Sherriff Allen Cooper ... wondering who will be next ....

Sherriff Cooper indicates he has already filed multiple complaints with the attorney regulation council. I wonder what the status of those complaints are ? I wonder why he is agreeing, in his role as a Sheriff/ a member of law enforcemnet - to do a news piece beyond brutually critcal of a sitting DA - the DA he brings cases to.

He says, bc HE wants her out. Isn't it an elected position ? Is he in a position to get a recall petition going or as LE is that inappropriate? Certainly there must be somebody he knows who can get it going.

He says : HE knows what cases need prosecuting and she is not doing what HE wants. HE cannot fix her character (He says if someone makes a few mistakes they can be fixed but that Linda's "mistake" is her character and HE cannot fix her character). HE says he sees alot of similarities in Linda and the people HE puts behind bars. The similarity HE says is that she thinks everybody is at fault but her. I'd say that applies to lots of us who are not behnd bars also maybe even to him. Its a purposeful sound bite nothing more.

IMO He shows very poor judgement in paticipating in this interview. He is a sheriff attacking his sitting DA's character with no specifics - just a big ole character assassination.
Uncalled for and unprofessional and soooo self important
I don't care where you land on Linda this just feels "underbelly" to me
And I am not a Linda fan
JMO

Republican candidate Linda Stanley defeats incumbent Kaitlin Turner in District Attorney race

True. OTOH they are pretty frustrated and the lack of competence is allowing criminals free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991