Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, IMO they'd essentially need to prove that the prosecution were intentionally lying in their motion to dismiss and misled the judge. So unless emails pop up showing that, I'm not personally worried. And given that Suzanne's body has been found in the interim and that charges are likely to be brought by a new DA in a new district, even that probably wouldn't be enough.

Agreed. Any new case charges will be brought with body - they won't simply refile the same case

Hi @kkdj
I share your hope, but I doubt the girls will ever turn on him. He has manipulated and brainwashed them, similar to how Matt Leili controlled his daughters’ thoughts - (even from prison!) - after he murdered their mother.

jmo
Possibly. But here's the thing. Iirc one of the girls had told detectives that her parents were arguing a lot. A lot!
I thought at that time that she was wondering if it had gotten out of hand.
Also Suzanne had had a talk with one of the girls and that daughter had suggested she get a divorce.
Somewhere in this mess it seems all of that was swept under a rug. My thinking is that once BM is convicted at least one of the girls will come to terms with her father having actually murdering their mother and let people know in some fashion. I believe at least one of the girls is strong and brave and feels it is not the time right now to let that part shine.
moo

Possibly. But here's the thing. Iirc one of the girls had told detectives that her parents were arguing a lot. A lot!
I thought at that time that she was wondering if it had gotten out of hand.
Also Suzanne had had a talk with one of the girls and that daughter had suggested she get a divorce.
Somewhere in this mess it seems all of that was swept under a rug. My thinking is that once BM is convicted at least one of the girls will come to terms with her father having actually murdering their mother and let people know in some fashion. I believe at least one of the girls is strong and brave and feels it is not the time right now to let that part shine.
moo
It is the youngest of the two daughters that was close to Suzanne, Macy. She stated her parents argued. Her boyfriend at that time said the same thing. The oldest sister, Mallory, was away at college and was closest with their dad, even going on hunting trips with him. She also appears the strongest, though appearances can be deceiving. I think Barry convinced Macy he was pure as the driven snow and that Suzanne lied about him. I’m sure it didn’t help when he made Suzanne appear really evil for having an affair. He thinks he got off free. I think he will be behind bars someday.

I came across something interesting on The Prosecutors podcast in an interview with FBI CAST expert Jay Berni

He was talking about something called "Timing Advance" which essentially allows a cell phone company to divide up each second of coverage between multiple users to expand the number of users per tower. To do this, the tower sends a small message to your phone, and your phone sends it back. The timing of this round trip tells the tower very accurately how far away your phone is. It is so accurate, they can divide one second of coverage between multiple users by knowing how long the individual transmissions take to arrive.

As I understood it, this can happen, even if your phone is not actively doing anything with the tower (call, text, data). So for example, if your phone is not moving, it doesn't do this. Whereas if your phone is moving it may do this calculation several times in a minute.

I suspect this is how the phone company knew SMs phone was 11miles away from the Poncha tower. IIRC there are 3 connections in the final minutes, which might suggest the phone was moving. In any event, I think they can see if SMs phone distance from the tower changed significantly that night. But as we never saw the CAST report, we never saw this analysis.

BTL I believe that "11 miles west of Poncha tower" is not the most accurate number that they have, and also does not equate to PP. If PP matched the "11 miles west of Poncha tower" number in the CAST report, I think IE would have been all over that

In the GSM cellular mobile phone standard, timing advance (TA) value corresponds to the length of time a signal takes to reach the base station from a mobile phone. GSM uses TDMA technology in the radio interface to share a single frequency between several users, assigning sequential timeslots to the individual users sharing a frequency. Each user transmits periodically for less than one-eighth of the time within one of the eight timeslots. Since the users are at various distances from the base station and radio waves travel at the finite speed of light, the precise arrival-time within the slot can be used by the base station to determine the distance to the mobile phone. The time at which the phone is allowed to transmit a burst of traffic within a timeslot must be adjusted accordingly to prevent collisions with adjacent users. Timing Advance (TA) is the variable controlling this adjustment.

Yes! @kkdj & @ Love Never Fails! You are so perspicacious!
Waay back, I felt it more likely the younger daughter would break with this distressing cast of 'The Courtroom Triad Show', doing so in her own "due course", with her father whining from the deserved dust and rubble of his shameless abuse of his motherless daughters something akin to Lear's, "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child".

Quando?... Not especially critical, imo, 'cause whenever and however manifesting, it should prove a most tormenting and torturous life sentence. Further, it would not surprise me - once the trial commences and the circumstantial evidence is layered [and layered, and layered...], punctuated with dad's litany of lies - that the accused's daughters-as-bookends distraction will be history... no matter how concentric or impervious the eye-wall of Hurricane Iris.

Last edited:
I came across something interesting on The Prosecutors podcast in an interview with FBI CAST expert Jay Berni

He was talking about something called "Timing Advance" which essentially allows a cell phone company to divide up each second of coverage between multiple users to expand the number of users per tower. To do this, the tower sends a small message to your phone, and your phone sends it back. The timing of this round trip tells the tower very accurately how far away your phone is. It is so accurate, they can divide one second of coverage between multiple users by knowing how long the individual transmissions take to arrive.

As I understood it, this can happen, even if your phone is not actively doing anything with the tower (call, text, data). So for example, if your phone is not moving, it doesn't do this. Whereas if your phone is moving it may do this calculation several times in a minute.

I suspect this is how the phone company knew SMs phone was 11miles away from the Poncha tower. IIRC there are 3 connections in the final minutes, which might suggest the phone was moving. In any event, I think they can see if SMs phone distance from the tower changed significantly that night. But as we never saw the CAST report, we never saw this analysis.

BTL I believe that "11 miles west of Poncha tower" is not the most accurate number that they have, and also does not equate to PP. If PP matched the "11 miles west of Poncha tower" number in the CAST report, I think IE would have been all over that
Also, I believe the 11 minute factor here is a great test for the theory especially due to the limited number of towers and obstacles at this very location. JMO

Also, I believe the 11 minute factor here is a great test for the theory especially due to the limited number of towers and obstacles at this very location. JMO

Yes - i think TA is how they know this. It is very accurate as they simply measure time elapsed for the round trip.

The CAST expert said this is what they do to find missing people. So I hope that LE requested the TA info for SMs phone immediately and did not settle for just the initial response given to the officers request.

If anyone knows where the tower is, you could plot an 11mile arc west of Poncha and see where you end up

Yes - i think TA is how they know this. It is very accurate as they simply measure time elapsed for the round trip.

The CAST expert said this is what they do to find missing people. So I hope that LE requested the TA info for SMs phone immediately and did not settle for just the initial response given to the officers request.

If anyone knows where the tower is, you could plot an 11mile arc west of Poncha and see where you end up

1 FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Poncha Springs, CO

Read more: FCC Registered Cell Phone and Antenna Towers in Poncha Springs, Colorado

Agree. 19057 PP is about 8.5 miles from Poncha Springs tower, in Google Maps you can see the tower shadow the SE corner of the lot with 3 long buildings behind Salida Stove and Spa.
11 miles is 2.5 miles further west.

We don’t know (I believe) everything the daughters told investigators, except the youngest saying her parents fought, which to me in that context is not anything substantial, many couples fight and should divorce. I think they will continue contradict what SM told her friend & sister. This is one of the reasons SM’s texts and verbal conversations with others probably won’t hold much weight at another trial, if there is one. Now, BM admitting to “clipping” her nose (he intentionally downplays this) is not good for him. I believe in the AA one of the investigators also said that SM’s profile revealed she would come at BM. Now we have a couple that could escalate to physical contact with each other. I still don’t think domestic violence is the ticket to BM being convicted. They need actual evidence, imo, to connect him to her recovery site, assuming he's the one that murdered her.

I’m still open to it being someone known to the family, SM, BM or the girls. This doesn’t have to be a stranger abduction. imo

We don’t know (I believe) everything the daughters told investigators, except the youngest saying her parents fought, which to me in that context is not anything substantial, many couples fight and should divorce. I think they will continue contradict what SM told her friend & sister. This is one of the reasons SM’s texts and verbal conversations with others probably won’t hold much weight at another trial, if there is one. Now, BM admitting to “clipping” her nose (he intentionally downplays this) is not good for him. I believe in the AA one of the investigators also said that SM’s profile revealed she would come at BM. Now we have a couple that could escalate to physical contact with each other. I still don’t think domestic violence is the ticket to BM being convicted. They need actual evidence, imo, to connect him to her recovery site, assuming he's the one that murdered her.

I’m still open to it being someone known to the family, SM, BM or the girls. This doesn’t have to be a stranger abduction. imo
If Barry and Suzanne fought in the normal/usual manner of couples, then why would the daughter suggest that Suzanne get a restraining order?

It really cheeses me off that murderous (IMO) Barry has all this loving support from the females in his family. Grrr.
But in some cases might not fear be in play? ... i.e. FEAR of NOT choking-up "female loving support" for the tyke-like manipulator? Imo credibly so, e.g. Suzanne's compliance with her wifely duties re. husband 's needs, expectations & as proof of her love.
Until he's history and some $$$-raising Tell-All comes to pass, ...Wait!
IIRC, while we considered that her dad most likely had 'fireplaced' her mom's introspectives, let me suggest he did not do so with Macy's! And while Macy assuredly did not pack these out for the camping trip, dad would have never wanted to account for these precious, reaching-back-over-the-years diaries* likewise vanishing...along with mum...from their home...over Mothers' Day. Right? I don't think so. [And this assumes he even knew or Barry-like cared if they existed at all.]

Then again, the Barre is an cunning man....

Agree. 19057 PP is about 8.5 miles from Poncha Springs tower, in Google Maps you can see the tower shadow the SE corner of the lot with 3 long buildings behind Salida Stove and Spa.
11 miles is 2.5 miles further west.

I make it to be at Monarch give or take.

I think I’d pay actual money to read the CAST report.

I haven’t been able to dig up any info on the margin for error on time advance.

Last edited:

RBBM. So are you thinking if is the case that someone known to the family, SM, BM or the girls is responsible, that maybe BM was summoned to clean up after the deed was done and has been covering for this mystery person ever since? Covering for them for 3+ years since Mother’s Day weekend 2020? Because one would have to believe if someone else is responsible for murdering Suzanne and dumping her like trash in a shallow grave where imo they knew scavengers would likely get to her and scatter her remains, one has to believe either BM is the unluckiest guy in the world and everything he did that weekend and ever since that fateful day, that he’s just a poor victim of 100’s of coincidences that just so happened to take place the same weekend his loving wife was murdered, or that he was/is complicit in helping someone cover it up, to this day. So I’m curious if you believe he’s just an unlucky victim of mounds of coincidences, or that he cleaned up the scene and is covering for the “real killer”.

Personally, I don’t believe BM is some unlucky victim of 100’s of coincidences that just so happened to take place on the same weekend his wife was abducted and murdered. Nor do I believe he just cleaned up the scene and is covering for someone else. Who on earth would this d-bag BM cover for in the murder of his “Angel” wife and in the process incriminate only himself time and time again in speaking with investigators, lying, changing his stories to fit evidence, and mountains of evidence pointing at him as the sole perpetrator.
Or do you believe because BM asked Grusing for “immunity” if he were to open up his whole life to him (practically a confession), he was going to throw someone he was potentially helping/covering for under the bus and admit that he was complicit because he panicked, hoping to be given immunity from prosecution if he testified against the “real killer”? And if that was the case, how come BM didn’t give the “real killer’s” name up to Grusing to try and get an immunity deal? Personally I think when he said that to Grusing imo BM didn’t know or wasn’t fully sure what immunity meant. I digress.

The only question left for me in this sad awful case, is how/in which vehicle did BM transport SM in to Moffat.

IMHOO

#JUSTICEFORSUZANNE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads