Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did OP forget that BM admitted to physically assaulting his wife? And DV isn't limited to physical abuse. It also includes any other crime against a person, or against property, including an animal, when used as a method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.

Neglecting the obvious was all on Ramsey lama. To be clear, following the Prelim Hearing, Judge Murphy did not fail to note this case included the finding of probable cause for DV when issuing multiple ROs against BM.

View attachment 509576

He admitted to psychological abuse, even though he was too stupid to recognize it. He threatened suicide when she said she was leaving him, which is a form of coercive control. He also threatened to jump out of a moving vehicle when they were arguing. Threats of suicide frequently precede murder.

He admitted to psychological abuse, even though he was too stupid to recognize it. He threatened suicide when she said she was leaving him, which is a form of coercive control. He also threatened to jump out of a moving vehicle when they were arguing. Threats of suicide frequently precede murder.
Additionally, Barry admitted to having “clipped” Suzanne on her nose.

Reporting is sporadic, at this time.

Ongoing: Much discussion about whose fault it was that prosecutors waited until the last minute to get expert disclosures to judge in #barrymorphew trial. Cellphone, computer and telematix experts were hastily done, acc to Dan Edwards.

1718156722683.png

In an email, Edwards wrote "We need to get this filed tonight. I’m a little embarrassed by what we might be filing." He left the case ten days later. Deputy DA Mark Hurlbert on stand as we break for lunch in Linda Stanley's disciplinary hearing.

Hurlbert is still on the stand. Attorneys are trying to get to the bottom of why the prosecution team wanted to investigate Morphew judge Ramsey Lama for bias. Hurlbert said "were so off the mark it felt like he was biased against the prosecution’s case." Lama's ruling to

disallow domestic violence testimony was a major blow to the case. It was the investigation's theory that #SuzanneMorphew was a victim of domestic violence. She wrote about it and #BarryMorphew admitted to it.

Interesting nuggets revealed from attorneys and investigators who were not allowed to speak of the case publicly. Hurlbert admits that the #Suzannemorphew murder is "in much better shape" now that her body has been found. "We thought she was deep in a mine. We were wrong.”

@CarolAMcKinley

Reporting is sporadic, at this time.

Ongoing: Much discussion about whose fault it was that prosecutors waited until the last minute to get expert disclosures to judge in #barrymorphew trial. Cellphone, computer and telematix experts were hastily done, acc to Dan Edwards.

View attachment 509625

In an email, Edwards wrote "We need to get this filed tonight. I’m a little embarrassed by what we might be filing." He left the case ten days later. Deputy DA Mark Hurlbert on stand as we break for lunch in Linda Stanley's disciplinary hearing.

Hurlbert is still on the stand. Attorneys are trying to get to the bottom of why the prosecution team wanted to investigate Morphew judge Ramsey Lama for bias. Hurlbert said "were so off the mark it felt like he was biased against the prosecution’s case." Lama's ruling to

disallow domestic violence testimony was a major blow to the case. It was the investigation's theory that #SuzanneMorphew was a victim of domestic violence. She wrote about it and #BarryMorphew admitted to it.

Interesting nuggets revealed from attorneys and investigators who were not allowed to speak of the case publicly. Hurlbert admits that the #Suzannemorphew murder is "in much better shape" now that her body has been found. "We thought she was deep in a mine. We were wrong.”

@CarolAMcKinley
Carol better be filing a story, because a few tweets ain’t gonnna cut it!

Ask and you shall receive:

-During an almost full day of testimony, 11th Judicial District Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert told a different story. He said that in 30 years of practicing law, he had never been treated as poorly as he was by then-Judge Lama. “It was so far beyond the pale that I’ve never seen before,” said Hurlbert.

Lama disallowed domestic violence testimony in the Morphew case, which hinged on domestic abuse as the cornerstone of motive into Suzanne Morphew’s death. It was a ruling that perplexed and frustrated the prosecution team. Lama’s rulings "were so off the mark, it felt like he was biased against the prosecution’s case,” Hurlbert testified.

-The four-year-old case is no longer being prosecuted by Stanley's 11th Judicial District. It is now being investigated by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the prosecution work is now in the 12th Judicial District of the San Luis Valley, where Morphew's remains were found.

Hurlbert testified that because of the discovery, the case is "in much better shape" now.

Last edited:
Lama disallowed domestic violence testimony in the Morphew case, which hinged on domestic abuse as the cornerstone of motive into Suzanne Morphew’s death. It was a ruling that perplexed and frustrated the prosecution team. Lama’s rulings "were so off the mark, it felt like he was biased against the prosecution’s case,” Hurlbert testified.
bbm
^^ This! And we wondered .....

Hurlbert made a lot of people in the Colorado biking community angry back in 2010 for how he handled this hit and run case :

During the Morphew 4 day preliminary hearings we learned from journalist Lauren Scharf that Judge Lama told the courtroom one day that the reason he could not sit all day and would often stand at the bench was because of his injuries from a mountain biking accident. I often wondered if he had a bad attitude/ grudge against Hurlbert. He did cite health reasons for his retiring as a Judge.
Just a random speculation of mine. JMO

I disagree. I listened to grusing testify again, and he presented the essence of the prosecution case which we now know is correct. There was no bike ride abduction. Barry was caught in his own lies staging it, but we now know how and where she was murdered. At home with the tranqs.

I personally think IE goofed when she got the charges dismissed without prejudice, and she realised that at the time. She missed the chance to run a no body case against a bureaucratically weak prosecution.

Now she is up against a body case, with an all new team, and they have the smoking gun evidence.
Agree with this. Always thought the judge dismissed the case to save the case as the prosecution was headed to defeat.

-During an almost full day of testimony, 11th Judicial District Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert told a different story. He said that in 30 years of practicing law, he had never been treated as poorly as he was by then-Judge Lama. “It was so far beyond the pale that I’ve never seen before,” said Hurlbert.

-The four-year-old case is no longer being prosecuted by Stanley's 11th Judicial District. It is now being investigated by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the prosecution work is now in the 12th Judicial District of the San Luis Valley, where Morphew's remains were found.

Hurlbert testified that because of the discovery, the case is "in much better shape" now.

And good on Hurlbert for expressing what I also believe to be true.

IMO, I saw a Judge who adopted anything by IE as the gospel, and who I think wanted to be IE!

LS is no doubt guilty of loads of bureaucratic failure but pursuing a political agenda of locking up BM in response to a media frenzy that LS and the prosecutors themselves helped create and perpetuate is preposterous.

And that LS excused any evidence of innocence, concealed favorable evidence, manufactured evidence and opinions, and allowed witnesses to testify falsely is rubbish. MOO

Hurlbert made a lot of people in the Colorado biking community angry back in 2010 for how he handled this hit and run case :

During the Morphew 4 day preliminary hearings we learned from journalist Lauren Scharf that Judge Lama told the courtroom one day that the reason he could not sit all day and would often stand at the bench was because of his injuries from a mountain biking accident. I often wondered if he had a bad attitude/ grudge against Hurlbert. He did cite health reasons for his retiring as a Judge.
Just a random speculation of mine. JMO

Thanks for the link @Cindizzi and a reminder to all who might be inclined to contribute to Colorado SAR. #GodSpeed to these brave and generous volunteers.

DV was a sentence enhancer. Will be interesting to see if it is a major piece of a potential second prosecution. If they have more first hand knowledge of abuse I think it might, but without that I don't know. Some of what can get into trial that isn't first hand is discretionary by the judge and if I recall there wasn't much that would generally be considered admissible.

Umm, Barry actually confessed to "clipping" Suzanne's nose = physical abuse in my book. Admitted that he was trying to hurt her with words/get back at her = emotional/psychological abuse. Admitted he was the cash machine, therefore had control of the finances = financial abuse. I could go on. There was more than enough first hand evidence that Barry abused Suzanne. Co-ercively, emotionally and psychologically, financially, he neglected her and physically harmed her. On top of that he hunted her at the end
Hope he rots in a cell.
And Lama was an absolute pillock

Moo

whinge, baby, whinge

In an earlier interview with The Denver Gazette, former 11th Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama said of the experience, “It was shocking to me. These were flagrant bullying and retaliatory actions, and I thought the public needed to know.”

Lama disallowed domestic violence testimony in the Morphew case, which hinged on domestic abuse as the cornerstone of motive into Suzanne Morphew’s death. It was a ruling that perplexed and frustrated the prosecution team. Lama’s rulings "were so off the mark, it felt like he was biased against the prosecution’s case,” Hurlbert testified

DBM - asked and answered

Last edited:
I can't stand Judge Lama, thought he had it out for the prosecution (Linda Stanley) from the beginning. His rulings made it impossible for them to present a winnable case.

Now they have Suzanne's body and a new prosecution team and I have no doubts that ole' BM will be tried and sentenced to his 'cage'. If he doesn't off himself first, I can totally see a a Fotis Dulos kind of move from him with an ego as large as his. He'll never be able to accept responsibility for killing Suzanne and he won't be able to stand his 12x8 cell.

Karma rung his bell when Suzanne's remains were found and I firmly believe that was divine intervention.

JMO

Last edited:
I can't stand Judge Lama, thought he had it out for the prosecution (Linda Stanley) from the beginning. His ruling made it impossible for them to present a winnable case.

Now they have Suzanne's body and a new prosecution team and I have no doubts that ole' BM will be tried and sentenced to his 'cage'. If he doesn't off himself first, I can totally see a a Fotis Dulos kind of move from him with an ego as large as his. He'll never be able to accept responsibility for killing Suzanne and he won't be able to stand his 12x8 cell.

Karma rung his bell when Suzanne's remains were found and I firmly believe that was divine intervention.

JMO
Here's hoping...again.
but honestly I see no signs of an arrest happening.. and whereas that means preservation from the Crazy fanatical IE for a time, there simply may not be sufficient evidence to arrest him.

I think we're still waiting for that elusive witness who never came forward..

I agree. The timing was all off and as I said at the time, LS had B arrested to boost her ego/elected position. I’ve worked for local government, we were under resourced, but we made sure that those resources were used wisely. Being under funded never resulted in failures of this magnitude.

Had she waited to get all her ducks in a row (including adequate resource and support for her team), there may have been a better outcome.

This doesn't really explain how her organisation was also messing up in multiple other cases, including where the accused had confessed.

To me the weakness was in litigation, not in the investigation. What would more delay have achieved? She was sanctioned for failing to file the expert bios, a year after arrest, and months after the prelim for which all the expert reports were finalised - how much time do you need?

The 3 critical expert reports were finalised before BM was even arrested.

MOO

This doesn't really explain how her organisation was also messing up in multiple other cases, including where the accused had confessed.

To me the weakness was in litigation, not in the investigation. What would more delay have achieved? She was sanctioned for failing to file the expert bios, a year after arrest, and months after the prelim for which all the expert reports were finalised - how much time do you need?

The 3 critical expert reports were finalised before BM was even arrested.

MOO
Yes, but who is it that was delegated to send them in pronto and what exactly is he saying now, apart from ranting about her U tube interviews?

I've always believed she was sabotaged.

I think this trial will prove this.

You beat! lol ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back