Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

I would like to know, if BM ever missed to have a first-born son or a son at all .... Maybe, his ego wasn't made for having a son, who in the future would have become a rival to himself? Fate was kind to him then.

I was thinking of it and came to the conclusion that it was hard for him to be a son, and he had no experience of seeing a good father. Men like him want to have sons, but they are more tyrannical with sons. He had MM1, physically resembling him, but in a female version, sharing his interests, and I think internally he was quite happy. He might have been slightly disappointed with MM2 being a girl, but deep inside, I think he enjoyed being surrounded by women.

If my husband said he was going to kill himself if I left I would say in all honesty “that’s your decision.” Look I am not a domestic violence doesn’t exist person. I have a low tolerance for manipulative behavior just like everyone. I just haven’t read anything that says this was pervasive. I read Suzanne’s list of grievances like everyone and I read the snippets of what LE picked for the AA when questioning Barry. But I said 2 years ago I thought this was a weak case to try as a national case to advocate for better Colorado laws on DV or worse yet for prosecution to go after the sitting judge Lama on some notion he perpetrated domestic violence in his marriage.
Holding a gun to his head, threatening to jump out of a moving vehicle, texting suicidal threats to Suzanne; it's all about context. What was he trying to accomplish here?

Control via coercion, which is in fact a form of psychological abuse. She was trying to leave him, and he was threatening suicide in order to keep her from doing so. This context is incredibly important in painting the overall picture of what was going on not only in their marriage, but in the days preceding Suzanne's murder.

This tactic had worked like a charm every time, shutting down the divorce conversation. He tried it one final time, and it failed, as Suzanne showed no reaction to his latest suicide threat. He could no longer control her, and their marriage was over.

In most of the cases I've followed in which a threat of suicide has occurred in a relationship, it ended in a murder suicide. Here, it just ended in a murder, because Barry is selfish like that.

Yes, to the untrained eye this could look like some sort of innocent, childish manipulation. But here it was not only a pattern, but a sign of what was to come. Suzanne's murder was the most extreme example of domestic abuse. It shouldn't be difficult to see all the behavior leading up to it as abuse as well. These things don't come out of nowhere, and they didn't here.

Having raised three sons into adulthood and being a strong independent female myself and the daughter of a relatively independent working professional strong 50s woman who raised me in the 60s and 70s, I, by virtue, am a little leery of the "toxic male culture" claims and perhaps more jaundiced about what actually constitutes illegal domestic violence. I do not in a million years think we have "a rise in violent male ideologies." I will agree that there are people in bad marriages. I know couples who were physically abusive to each other. I know plenty of people who divorced testosterone driven men for more renaissance men and vice versa. I know women who claimed their husband's were abusive and have ex-husbands that say it's a lie. I don't condone anyone killing their spouse because they want to leave a marriage and we have laws about murder, but I also am leery about what constitutes a woman whom people seem to argue was "enchained" by a strong dominant male and I'm hesitant to promote broad laws where literally everything is "DV". It sickens me that Suzanne did not have a plan in place and the strength to leave immediately after telling Barry she was done when the marriage. I do not think DV is a strong prosecutor argument for sentence enhancement based on what we know and have read in the AA. Obviously if they bring more to another trial I might change my mind. Just my two cents.
I could agree with and validate your experiences and what they have taught you, and still see a significant number men in society who never fully developed the part of the brain that allows us to moderate our behavior, or who were raised in a family culture where emotional intelligence and self control were not valued or taught. I am reluctant to generalize from my personal experience, but it seems to be reinforced by the general shift to restructure society so as to limit women's choices and return them to their former dependent and subservient status, in which they were coerced to remain in a bad marriage, almost always through secret physical violence.

And as others have pointed out, the epidemic of violence against women suggests to me that the problem is not limited to a few men.

<modsnip>

If my husband said he was going to kill himself if I left I would say in all honesty “that’s your decision.” Look I am not a domestic violence doesn’t exist person. I have a low tolerance for manipulative behavior just like everyone. I just haven’t read anything that says this was pervasive. I read Suzanne’s list of grievances like everyone and I read the snippets of what LE picked for the AA when questioning Barry. But I said 2 years ago I thought this was a weak case to try as a national case to advocate for better Colorado laws on DV or worse yet for prosecution to go after the sitting judge Lama on some notion he perpetrated domestic violence in his marriage.

If a person close to me would say it while holding a gun, I'd say, "I'll stay", for fear of family annihilation. Without a gun? Depends. Prior history of suicide attempts, other risk factors - I'd be concerned about effects of the suicides on the kids and the other family. Having suicides in the family increases the risk for first-degree relatives, and not only them. At least I'd try not to rock the boat. But it is in theory.
SM's situation is different, she was religious. Sin, or haram, or khata - never mind, in the Big Three suicide is a serious transgression, as opposed to minor ones that can be forgiven. Being unfair? Repent. Happens to Christians all the time. Suicide is different, there is no way back to atone, it is a big one. Trying to put myself into the shoes of a person with a very different mentality, I understand that really, we can't just turn our backs in the face of this threat, nor can we judge. Plus, she was living with a mentally unstable man. Manipulative, sadistic, narcissistic, impossible, but not sane. She paid the ultimate price. Her story is very sad.

Imagine the broad public reading, “this good provider and a devout Christian man put BAM in the chemo port of his cancer-stricken wife”, and ask who’d support Barry after that. No one. Maybe dr. Jack Kevorkian, if he were alive, could.
^ Re. my "Wow!" Like, supra., on your post #615... ^

Inasmuch as Morphew has been my sole following, so, just as was Claud Raines in this classic cinematic moment...
... I was 1719792070496.png to learn...
"Shocked! SHOCKED!"
...that, further to finding Suzanne's serial-numbered chemo port near her grave, (IIRC, bagged and sent onward for forensics), said port was found to contain BAM. What a major whoops by me.:oops: Shame!

I knew of evidence about a drug mix in some of the remaining marrow of a femur, but missed this macabre use of Suzanne's port. This being, I presume, for the coup de grâce while she was in a stupor from earlier the non-lethal jab(s) at home and during her transport.
Horrors aside, what a brain-dead move for her murderer.

^ Re. my "Wow!" Like, supra., on your post #615... ^

Inasmuch as Morphew has been my sole following, so, just as was Claud Raines in this classic cinematic moment...
... I was View attachment 514581 to learn...
"Shocked! SHOCKED!"
...that, further to finding Suzanne's serial-numbered chemo port near her grave, (IIRC, bagged and sent onward for forensics), said port was found to contain BAM. What a major whoops by me.:oops: Shame!

I knew of evidence about a drug mix in some of the remaining marrow of a femur, but missed this macabre use of Suzanne's port. This being, I presume, for the coup de grâce while she was in a stupor from earlier the non-lethal jab(s) at home and during her transport.
Horrors aside, what a brain-dead move for her murderer.

I don’t believe it was ever stated by LE that they found anything related to the port. I don’t believe all the info from the toxicology report was released nor were many details from the autopsy released other than cause of death.

I don’t believe it was ever stated by LE that they found anything related to the port. I don’t believe all the info from the toxicology report was released nor were many details from the autopsy released other than cause of death.
"A 'pink and light color' work glove was also found near her body, as was a 'pale patterned balaclava' and a 'weathered' bullet. A purple 'medical port' covered in dirt was also recovered at the scene.,Suzanne was in remission after suffering from leukemia".

(Article is wrong about her cancer and IE is wrong about her bike clothes. MOO. Not leukemia, lymphoma. Not bike clothes, period. MOO)

Thank you @Momofthreeboys -
- for refurbishing worries wrt short-term memory deficit!
- 'cause I was pretty close to certain that I'd have remembered something in this vein, (pun? Your call...), having had a chemo port myself. Had it removed, sort of cleaned by the orderly, and took it home :rolleyes:...?
Finding it two years later... :(phew!! Off to the landfill. double-wrapped.!...wrapped

Thank you @Momofthreeboys -
- for refurbishing worries wrt short-term memory deficit!
- 'cause I was pretty close to certain that I'd have remembered something in this vein, (pun? Your call...), having had a chemo port myself. Had it removed, sort of cleaned by the orderly, and took it home :rolleyes:...?
Finding it two years later... :(phew!! Off to the landfill. double-wrapped.!...wrapped
Yeah, the port was found which obviously aided in identification, but there's no evidence at this stage that BAM was introduced through that port. That would just be an incredibly difficult thing for Barry to do, and not worth the trouble.

Yeah, the port was found which obviously aided in identification, but there's no evidence at this stage that BAM was introduced through that port. That would just be an incredibly difficult thing for Barry to do, and not worth the trouble.

I am wondering if the drug was found in dry bone, or bone marrow. If the drug was injected intramuscularly, then, maybe hip area is closer. However, could intravenous injection (via the port) would lead to higher accumulation in the bone marrow?

I am wondering if the drug was found in dry bone, or bone marrow. If the drug was injected intramuscularly, then, maybe hip area is closer. However, could intravenous injection (via the port) would lead to higher accumulation in the bone marrow?
I guess the test isn’t quantitative, so we’ll never know the dosage. It only tells you that it is there.

There is research to to indicate stalking is always a major red flag in intimate partner homicides. We know BM was engaged in multiple of these stalking and coercive behaviours. Not just the e.g spy cam and Shiela incident. For instance the level of subterfuge SM engaged in on her own phone indicates she knew or suspected BM was checking it.

Key point ----> "Stalking features in the majority of domestic homicide cases"

Previous research has demonstrated that perpetrators of IPH are more likely to be of older age (Loinaz et al., 2017; Caman et al., 2017) have less persistent criminal histories, be less socially disadvantaged (Loinaz et al., 2017; Caman et al., 2017) and show higher levels of suicidal ideation (Caman et al., 2017; Cunha & Gonçalves, 2019) than perpetrators of other types of homicide. DHR research has also indicated that stalking behaviours, often involving the use of technology and cyberstalking, are present in the majority of domestic homicide cases. Monckton-Smith et al. (2017) used media reports and DHRs to identify risk and found that stalking behaviours were present in 94% of cases analysed. Todd et al. (2020) argued that technology and social media play a facilitating role in many domestic homicide cases and that the digital footprints of victims and perpetrators are often overlooked in police investigations and the overall DHR process.

Remind you of anyone?

Four of the variables made a unique statistically significant contribution to the model (coercive control, separation, the victim being in a new relationship, and help seeking by the victim in the months prior to the homicide). Separation or pending separation made the largest contribution to explaining homicide following stalking, followed by the victim engaging in help-seeking behaviours in the months prior to the homicide.

Unfortunately (and this is more a criticism of the judiciary writ large), Judge Lama ruled as if he was living in the 1980s before this had all been studied IMO. The entire sweep of BM's behaviour, including physical DV, is probative.

MOO

Last edited:
And as others have pointed out, the epidemic of violence against women suggests to me that the problem is not limited to a few men.

RSBM. The irony is that the prevalence of DV/DA is being used by Judges to exclude it from trial as being too prejudicial. This is based on a misunderstanding of basic probability IMO. It is true that only a tiny fraction of women who are subject to DV will be murdered by their partner. But that question is different when we only examine the situations where the woman has in fact been murdered. Then we'll find the risk factors almost always.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bomber1978
Back