Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of 29 Sept 2020.

Suzanne Morphew missing person Investigative Task Force Recap since May 10:
  • 1,123 Total tips called to the designated tip line (includes hang-ups and duplicates).
  • 180 Interviews conducted in Colorado, Indiana and other locations. This number does not take into account the hundreds of other contacts made between investigators and individuals as part of this case since May.
  • 130+ Searches conducted (including warrants, which remained sealed at this time)
  • 4,000+ Hours spent by Task Force investigators on the case.
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

Yay for justice!

Regarding the charge of attempted influence:

His female coworker from the grading site and chlorinated hotel room: Didn't she relate something about (I'm ad-libbing) being approached by 2 men who said "We can't pay you now because it might look like bribery"? I remember it basically made no sense at the time...
I don't think it's related to that. She's not a public servant and the date isn't right since she didn't return to Salida until a day or two after the disappearance IIRC. I think that sort of charge would be witness tampering/intimidation which is a different section of the criminal code.

Saw Lauren Scharf's fb post. Knew there'd be action here. I'll be watching the press conference and looking forward to reconnecting with the sleuths here.

Thankful that it looks like justice may be served for Suzanne. Sad that this tragedy ever occurred.

If I'm reading this correctly, no bond.

ETA - It could also mean there will be a formal bond hearing later today. I can't imagine they would let him bond out.

While there's no real chance for BM to be released, it still for the court to decide and this will occur at his Proof is evident - presumption great hearing.

16-4-101. Colorado Bailable offenses.
(1) All persons shall be bailable by sufficient sureties except:

(a) For capital offenses when proof is evident or presumption is great; or

(b) When, after a hearing held within ninety-six hours of arrest and upon reasonable notice, the court finds that the proof is evident or the presumption is great as to the crime alleged to have been committed and finds that the public would be placed in significant peril if the accused were released on bail and such person is accused in any of the following cases:

(I) A crime of violence alleged to have been committed while on probation or parole resulting from the conviction of a crime of violence;

(II) A crime of violence alleged to have been committed while on bail pending the disposition of a previous crime of violence charge for which probable cause has been found;

(III) A crime of violence alleged to have been committed after two previous felony convictions, or one such previous felony conviction if such conviction was for a crime of violence, upon charges separately brought and tried under the laws of this state or under the laws of any other state, the United States, or any territory subject to the jurisdiction of the United States which, if committed in this state, would be a felony;

(IV) A crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender alleged to have been committed in violation of section 18-12-108 (2) (b), (2) (c), (4) (b), (4) (c), or (5), C.R.S.; or

(c) When a person has been convicted of a crime of violence or a crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, as described in section 18-12-108 (2) (b), (2) (c), (4) (b), (4) (c), or (5), C.R.S., at the trial court level and such person is appealing such conviction or awaiting sentencing for such conviction and the court finds that the public would be placed in significant peril if the convicted person were released on bail.

(2) For purposes of this section, “crime of violence” shall have the same meaning as that set forth in section 18-1.3-406 (2), C.R.S.

(3) In any capital case, the defendant may make a written motion for admission to bail upon the ground that the proof is not evident or that presumption is not great, and the court shall promptly conduct a hearing upon such motion. At such hearing, the burden shall be upon the people to establish that the proof is evident or that the presumption is great. The court may combine in a single hearing the questions as to whether the proof is evident or the presumption great with the determination of the existence of probable cause to believe that the defendant committed the crime charged.

(4) Except in the case of a capital offense, if a person is denied bail under this section, the trial of the person shall be commenced not more than ninety days after the date on which bail is denied. If the trial is not commenced within ninety days and the delay is not attributable to the defense, the court shall immediately schedule a bail hearing and shall set the amount of the bail for the person.

(5) When a person is arrested for a crime of violence, as defined in section 16-1-104 (8.5), or a criminal offense alleging the use or possession of a deadly weapon or the causing of bodily injury to another person, or a criminal offense alleging the possession of a weapon by a previous offender, as described in section 18-12-108 (2) (b), (2) (c), (4) (b), (4) (c), or (5), C.R.S., and such person is on parole, the law enforcement agency making the arrest shall notify the department of corrections within twenty-four hours. The person so arrested shall not be eligible for bail to be set until at least seventy-two hours from the time of his or her arrest has passed.

https://www.denver-colorado-crimina...o-criminal-defense-lawyer-h-michael-steinberg

Sorry if it's been posted, but you can listen to Lauren and Suzanne's sister's interview at the link. Have your tissues ready. It's :(. This poor family. Heartbroken.

BARRY MORPHEW: Suzanne Morphew's sister reacts to murder arrest | FOX31 Denver

"Thank you for loving my sister, Lauren."
WOW! Definitely worth a listen to SMs sister speaking with Lauren Scharf. I feel like the sister speaking about BM was a way to reach out to the two daughters. She loves them and hasnt spoke to them in over a year according to her.
So sad for the two daughters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member