Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #56 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry got a million for his business in Indiana so I assume that helped pay for the price of their home along with the inheritance.
I'm not Barry; however, with interest rates so low, I would have gotten a mortgage and invested most of that money. I would not have tied up all my money into real estate. Plus, the interest could be used as a tax deduction.

JMO.

Yes, I did catch that and am surprised it isn’t being talked about because it is new information not disclosed before. CM said it was part of the statement BM gave to LE. He said it was a big argument they got into Friday night.

MOO - I wonder if it wasn’t after that argument that Suzannne sent her sister the lengthy text wanting to talk with her about things and mentioning she was scared.

It also gives insight into Barry’s actions on Saturday based on MG’s observations.
Agree.

We need a reliable MSM, LE, PE source to confirm this argument information though.

I don't think he's had any surgical procedures. My hooded eyes are way worse than his, yet when I do the same expression he's doing there with his eyebrows raised my hoods almost disappear, just like his did.

Either way, he's still a monster that should rot in a cage for the rest of his miserable life.
You can see the scars on his eyelids from the blepharoplasty. In some cases, it's covered by insurance because droopy eyelids interfere with vision, so I don't think we should be imputing the surgery to his vanity necessarily or solely.

I also believe the position of the cars in the driveway plays a role here. If the perp moved the cars out of the garage to load something, the GPS in them would show that they turned on and were moved, and when!
Very interesting. I hadn't even thought about that! Details, details, details.

BTW - I'm glad that LE thought about possible missing coolers. I don't know that I would have thought of something like that being missing!

JMO.

Thinking about the situation from the daughters' points of view: I really cannot imagine what they are going through. They have lost one parent, and the threat of losing a second parent (even with, or perhaps especially because of evidence that he was involved with the death of their mother) must be so overwhelming. IMHO (not a psychologist or anything) I'm sure there are really complex psychological personal defense mechanisms that are activated in these kinds of situations. I really feel for these young women and hope and pray they have comfort and support now and in the future.

I can't imagine how hard it is for the children.
But the thing that I find interesting is that there is usually a complete separation from their mother's birth family, in order to support their dad.

If only they could stay connected with their mother's birth family, and receive the love, warmth and consolation they need from that family ... rather than cut themselves off from that and be visiting a murderer in prison each weekend.
It would likely be a much mentally healthier way to move forward after the loss of both of their parents.

Imagine it from a defense lawyer's perspective. You arrest BM because SM is dead and there is plenty of blood in the home indicating something happened there. BM has said he left SM sleeping in her bed at 5 am. Defense lawyer says someone OTHER than BM is responsible for SM's disappearance and all that blood that someone cleaned up where she had once been. BM has shared with his defense lawyer the long list of drug addicted, ex-con former employees who've promised retaliation for him firing them after they bungled some work for him. Defense lawyer says, "did LE question each one of those folks and check out their alibis?"

Investigators and the prosecutors have to build a case that is like a Mack truck driving down the road of evidence without detours. The defense lawyer will try to convince the jury the truth is like a silly straw that weaves this way and that around oddities and through rabbit holes that defy reason.

This is why I think they must have proof that the husband was the last person to see Suzanne alive.

All that neighbourhood doorbell and other CCTV?

I wonder if not having a permit to work on the wall repairs in the first place has anything to do with this.

I mean, the alibi is absolutely ridiculous from start to finish. I don't know of any contractor who would drive a couple of hours away and rent a hotel room the day before the supposed wall was to be repaired.

If Barry were so prepared and arrived in advance, you'd think that he'd have all his ducks in a row...Permit, supplies, tools, people well in advance...

As I see it from an outsider's POV, this was an alibi thrown together at the last minute to distance himself away from a crime/crime scene. I mean, he couldn't be home with no wife when the girls arrived. Then, he'd have to say that he saw Suzanne leave on the bike trip...

JMO.
"And, although Gentile had agreed to work in that area for the day, she said Barry dismissed her from the job early – at 11 a.m..
“He said that he had to go make the wife happy – do some hiking or biking,”

And he doesn't ask her then to work the next day???????

I never doubted his guilt and hope that he will be held accountable. It is interesting that both financial issues and a possible red haired girlfriend may have been factors. My huge concern is that he is charged with first degree murder. First degree even with a body is a huge burden to prove, never mind without. I hope he is found guilty but I would feel a lot better if it was a second degree charge, or if LE have the indisputable smoking gun that they are keeping under wraps. Congrats to the new DA, Lauren Shafer and the Sheriff office on his arrest,

I never doubted his guilt and hope that he will be held accountable. It is interesting that both financial issues and a possible red haired girlfriend may have been factors. My huge concern is that he is charged with first degree murder. First degree even with a body is a huge burden to prove, never mind without. I hope he is found guilty but I would feel a lot better if it was a second degree charge, or if LE have the indisputable smoking gun that they are keeping under wraps. Congrats to the new DA, Lauren Shafer and the Sheriff office on his arrest,
I believe that it was first degree, and I have to believe that they have sufficient evidence which backs up that charge.

JMO.

I cannot figure out the evidence they would have. Their house was searched two times awhile back, no arrest, vehicles checked out, no arrest, his alibi for MD checked out, no arrest. By now phones have long been checked out, no arrest. I don't know about Suzanne's phone (not found??) What would they have? Lots of hearsay and gossip but that is not proof.

It occurred to me that if they found even a small amount of brain tissue (perhaps on the 2nd warrant, in a place they had overlooked the first time), they would have a much better case. Some blood may not mean that a person can be presumed dead, but some brain tissue? Yeah, probably dead. :(

This is why I think they must have proof that the husband was the last person to see Suzanne alive.

All that neighbourhood doorbell and other CCTV?

The oddest part of this whole thing was, at the beginning, when LE told neighbors that they weren't coming to get their security footage, but to hold on to it. That made no sense, as most security systems continuously overwrite old footage, and how many people are going to know how to archive what's currently there? It just seemed like they knew what happened, knew the footage wouldn't help or show anything, yet they didn't want to just come out and say that.

Locating SM?
@SouthAussie sbm Yes, possible that a random person could stumble upon SM's remains. Now, a year post-disappearance, w exposure to CO climate & wildlife -
- if it was a surface or shallow 'burial' likely imo, remains would be skeletonized & scattered. Easy for a random passing person to overlook or mistake for animal bones. Possible tho, once notified, SaR team or LE could detect & recover more, esp'ly w cadaver dogs.
- if her remains had been tightly sealed in a container & deeply buried, doubtful imo, a random passing person would notice anything. SaR? LE? IDK, well, maybe if they were looking for the needle at the right part of the right haystack?
my2ct.
Perhaps that explains the missing coolers which you know Barry avid Hunter outdoorsman would have. Perhaps a big Yeti cooler or a few small ones

The oddest part of this whole thing was, at the beginning, when LE told neighbors that they weren't coming to get their security footage, but to hold on to it. That made no sense, as most security systems continuously overwrite old footage, and how many people are going to know how to archive what's currently there? It just seemed like they knew what happened, knew the footage wouldn't help or show anything, yet they didn't want to just come out and say that.

We had a case here (William Tyrrell) where everyone was immediately told to hold onto their CCTV. The police then worked their way around and picked it up/helped people download etc.

They have to tell people that right away, to try to preserve the CCTV. The police tend to be under-resourced and can't be everywhere at the same time, while simultaneously desperately searching for a missing person.

I think they really need the CCTV to exclude things in a court case, as well as include anything relevant.
Every step that investigators take is also part of building a court case. They always need to keep their eye on that.

Perhaps that explains the missing coolers which you know Barry avid Hunter outdoorsman would have. Perhaps a big Yeti cooler or a few small ones
What is kind of shocking is that there were NO coolers found at his residence, IIRC.

Hunting and construction: You would think both would have some decent sized coolers on hand. I wonder if Barry gave any excuse for none being found.

JMO.

I also believe the position of the cars in the driveway plays a role here. If the perp moved the cars out of the garage to load something, the GPS in them would show that they turned on and were moved, and when!

There are so many facets that I never thought to consider, and I feel like I’m smarter than the average bear. Could Barry have covered his tracks completely? Doubtful.

Did Chris have an incredible stroke of luck arriving in Salida on the eve of Barry’s arrest, or does he have someb0dy on the inside?

We had a case here (William Tyrrell) where everyone was immediately told to hold onto their CCTV. The police then worked their way around and picked it up/helped people download etc.

They have to tell people that right away, to try to preserve the CCTV. The police tend to be under-resourced and can't be everywhere at the same time, while simultaneously desperately searching for a missing person.

The thing, in this case, as I recall, was the way they said it. It wasn't "hold your footage, we will get to you." It was more like "we don't need it, but hold it." There was a very peculiar lack of urgency to it, that I remember posting about, at the time. I believe my camera overwrites relatively quickly, and requires taking it down and putting the storage card in a computer in order to archive. I remember one of the Morphew neighbors was a senior citizens and thinking "if they don't go and get that footage, right now, it will be gone."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member