Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #56 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that’s the “incident”. ;)
I think it's possible they had several arguments in the months or weeks leading up to the murder. That may be why Andy said he learned things weren't so "hunky dory," and Suzanne's sister thought they were having financial pressure and other problems. Maybe she told her sister they had had big argument on Friday. Imo

“They did ask us, ‘why can’t we find any coolers at the house?’ And I said, ‘well I have no idea. I don’t know how many they had to begin with,” he said. “But I assume, as a hunter and a guy that maybe camps, he would have a few, and they couldn’t find a single one.”

Wow. That's a great observation.

We've got all sorts of coolers in the garage, most all sorta beat up. ( None of which are big enough for a human body, just to reassure everyone).

Mention about the Friday argument starts at about the 1:06:05 minute mark

ETA: I edited the minute mark to start sooner than mentioned before because the few seconds before the ‘argument’ is mentioned relates also in the whole context of the conversation.

The oddest part of this whole thing was, at the beginning, when LE told neighbors that they weren't coming to get their security footage, but to hold on to it. That made no sense, as most security systems continuously overwrite old footage, and how many people are going to know how to archive what's currently there? It just seemed like they knew what happened, knew the footage wouldn't help or show anything, yet they didn't want to just come out and say that.
Maybe someone offered their camera footage early on and they were looking for further video to back that up? Might send people scouring their footage and saving it for future use without actually alerting BM to the fact that they already had video from someone? IMO

Yup, we had discussed systems overwriting the CCTV when LE first made the request in this case. If I remember correctly, they also indicated that they would prefer individuals not contact LE with their footage. That’s a lot for the average person to be trusted with. I get that techies know how to save the files, but most people would probably figure that somebody would be knocking on their door if it was really needed. Baby blue bike helmet Barry at the Poncha Market was written over and lost forever. Hopefully none of this stuff was necessary for the case.
Hopefully someone at the market took a phone video of said video. I know it wouldn't hold up in court but it would be quite informative to LE. moo

IMO, only if there was enough blood found in the house to allow the conclusion that the loss of that blood was incompatible with life. Thus, I wonder if LE found brain tissue during a later search.
I don't think there is blood evidence. I think he strangled her and put her in a cooler or a crate and buried her somewhere remotely. Probably already had site prepared and on a planned route. I believe he has confessed to someone that he trusted.

That puzzled me, too. Why tie up all your money in mortgage(s) at all? Financially savvy people almost never do that. We could argue that neither person was financially savvy (SM should have taken her half million inheritance, stuck it in a savings account with only her name on it, and changed her will to leave it to the girls), but when you consider BM's early adulthood where it looks like he hoodwinked an elderly man out of his house, you can imagine that BM wanted all SM's money stashed in something so he could access the cash whenever he wanted. And look at that -- it's exactly what he did. I'm sure this made more than a few cops pretty disgusted with his scheming ways. MOO.
Personally I feel like he had good credit and placed things under a name we haven't found yet. I think he was robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think he was cash poor. moo

Mention about the Friday argument starts at about the 1:06:05 minute mark

ETA: I edited the minute mark to start sooner than mentioned before because the few seconds before the ‘argument’ is mentioned relates also in the whole context of the conversation.

Thanks @LandManatee Did he reveal his source or simply state “it was in a statement to LE”, without citing his source?

Last edited:
I don't think there is blood evidence. I think he strangled her and put her in a cooler or a crate and buried her somewhere remotely. Probably already had site prepared and on a planned route. I believe he has confessed to someone that he trusted.
That's the scenario I'm leaning towards, unless we hear evidence of a large amount of blood being found.

I think one of their old friends from Indiana may have managed to get him to say what amounts to a confession.

There are so many facets that I never thought to consider, and I feel like I’m smarter than the average bear. Could Barry have covered his tracks completely? Doubtful.

Did Chris have an incredible stroke of luck arriving in Salida on the eve of Barry’s arrest, or does he have someb0dy on the inside?
Chris did mention that he knew some of the guys working surveillance at Barry’s condo. Maybe one of them tipped him off?

"No Corpse, No Problem." Too glib imo.
Murder one is a pretty high threshold for a no body case, right?... No Corpse? No Problem. Notable Murder Convictions Without a Body
@DizzyB sbm
Not directing this post at you, just jumping off the linked article.*
Likely an editor, not the writer, decided on phrasing for article's title/headline, but still it suggests these no-body murder convictions are extremely common, almost every-day cases. They are not.**
Saying no corpse, no prob vastly overstates the ease of proving death w no body.
In truth, proving death in homicide cases, whatever degree of murder or manslaughter, is a problem w'out a corpse or substantial remains. Proof of death is a basic, vital element of any homicide.

;) Alas :rolleyes: what can we expect from an entertainment website?*** Clickbait? More so than many MSM outlets? Okay, A&E often stands above other channels, so maybe this editor deserves a pass this time.

Rant over.
*** A&E | Watch Full Episodes of Your Favorite Shows

Thanks @LandManatee Did he reveal his source or simply state “it was in a statement to LE”, without citing his source?

Mod Note:
Here is where we land. For information that CM doesn’t reveal a source for, it cannot be stated as fact. It can be stated that CM mentioned it, and it can be discussed, but not tossed around as factual until sourced or revealed by LE/MSM.

Also, please include a link to any statements being made as fact. This thread is moving quickly and links are critical to support quality fact based discussions.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a person who hired him for the wall job that spoke out early on? Wasn't he actually working on behalf of another business that had the actual contract on the wall? Seems that could be another person influenced by lies. moo
Yes, a company from Indiana was contracted to do that work, and they subcontracted to another Indiana company and that company subcontracted to Barry to do that work.

An employee of that company shared some information, but the owner - a longtime associate of Barry’s, according to Lauren - declined to speak with Lauren.

I did some research into whether these various companies were registered to work in the state of Colorado and whether those registrations were current.

In general, it seems like many companies doing business in Colorado register with the Secretary of State and file their required reports for the first year or two, and then they go out of compliance and then eventually delinquent in their reporting, so state records are not up to date as far as who the principals and registered agents are and what the current address is.

That was true of BM’s companies (he filed to correct those reporting delinquencies shortly after SM disappeared) and I’ve seen it with others associated in some way with BM, although I won’t get into those here. It seems like CO needs to tighten up enforcement measures and I’m surprised these delinquencies don’t create issues with these companies’ insurers. Imagine if some member of the public was injured in relation to work underway on some project similar to the Broomfield retaining wall. The state wouldn’t even have accurate and up to date info on record to find the contractor. I wonder if their insurance policies would cover in those cases where they aren’t even currently registered in the state.

Last edited:
I wonder if not having a permit to work on the wall repairs in the first place has anything to do with this.

I mean, the alibi is absolutely ridiculous from start to finish. I don't know of any contractor who would drive a couple of hours away and rent a hotel room the day before the supposed wall was to be repaired.

If Barry were so prepared and arrived in advance, you'd think that he'd have all his ducks in a row...Permit, supplies, tools, people well in advance...

As I see it from an outsider's POV, this was an alibi thrown together at the last minute to distance himself away from a crime/crime scene. I mean, he couldn't be home with no wife when the girls arrived. Then, he'd have to say that he saw Suzanne leave on the bike trip...

JMO.
BBM
I'm not sure if Barry's business needed to obtain the work permit or if just the GC would.

"No Corpse, No Problem." Too glib imo.
@DizzyB sbm
Not directing this post at you, just jumping off the linked article.*
Likely an editor, not the writer, decided on phrasing for article's title/headline, but still it suggests these no-body murder convictions are extremely common, almost every-day cases. They are not.**
Saying no corpse, no prob vastly overstates the ease of proving death w no body.
In truth, proving death in homicide cases, whatever degree of murder or manslaughter, is a problem w'out a corpse or substantial remains. Proof of death is a basic, vital element of any homicide.

;) Alas :rolleyes: what can we expect from an entertainment website?*** Clickbait? More so than many MSM outlets? Okay, A&E often stands above other channels, so maybe this editor deserves a pass this time.

Rant over.
*** A&E | Watch Full Episodes of Your Favorite Shows
Yes, I think the high percentage rate is based on the no body cases that had enough evidence to make it to trial and ensure a conviction.

Proving the victim is deceased, and/or obtaining a confession, along with building a case on circumstantial evidence can't be an easy task.

Aaa.

...That was true of BM’s companies (he filed to correct those reporting delinquencies shortly after SM disappeared) and I’ve seen it with others associated in some way with BM, although I won’t get into those here. It seems like CO needs to tighten up enforcement measures and I’m surprised these delinquencies don’t create issues with these companies’ insurers. Imagine if some member of the public was injured in relation to work underway on that retaining wall. The state wouldn’t even have accurate and up to date info on record to find the contractor. I wonder if their insurance policies would cover in those .cases where they aren’t even currently registered in the state.
Maybe, a contractor has to have proof of insurance to keep his license current. I wonder if that was a way for him to save money and pretend that he was currently bonded and insured. When you are a bonded and insured contractor, you generally get paid more for a job.

These contractors should be fined if they are working with an expired registration. JMO.

Last edited:
BM & Surgery?
Inmate Morphew has definitely had plastic surgery, specifically blepharoplasty (eye surgery) looking at a comparison of photos. Vain little *******! MOO
@Error505 Thx for your post w split pix* of BM.
--- Swelling/puffiness & darkness/bruising around his right eye (our left side in pic)?
--- Less hooding of the eye, a desirable surgical outcome.
Yep, could be signs of recent blepharoplasty. Upper only? IDK. Elective, or performed to improve field of vision? IDK.

Landscaping business & time outdoors may have contributed to forehead lines. Or maybe it was worry?

* https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/7bc249eb-22e6-47b3-afc9-d3eb5e534a9f-jpeg.296957/

Last edited:
BBM
I'm not sure if Barry's business needed to obtain the work permit or if just the GC would.

EggSalad posted a very detailed post concerning this Broomfield wall project. Refer to Thread 55, post 104.

Pulled from her post: "...Scharf said she found that the City of Broomfield did not issue a special permit for work on the site to be completed on a weekend, which city ordinances reportedly require..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33