Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tree the dog alerted or showed interest on was not on the Morphew's Puma Path property, it was on another property in Monarch River Estates. On this lot map, it is Lot #4 and is the portion of that lot that has the building envelope drawn on it (situated across Monarch River Estates Drive from Lot #3).

https://www.monarchriverestates.org/file/document/881338593/1HjSZll4mBNKzlnA.pdf

How convenient to bury something under a soon-to-be-poured house foundation.

The tree the dog alerted or showed interest on was not on the Morphew's Puma Path property, it was on another property in Monarch River Estates. On this lot map, it is Lot #4 and is the portion of that lot that has the building envelope drawn on it (situated across Monarch River Estates Drive from Lot #3).

https://www.monarchriverestates.org/file/document/881338593/1HjSZll4mBNKzlnA.pdf
Thank you Diddian. I was also remembering a bunch of invoices for tree purchases. Probably not relevant then since the information must concern the PP property.

This may answer your question.

From the link: Domestic violence in Colorado is not treated as an independent crime. Rather, DV is a sentencing enhancement. It increases the punishment for any offense against current or former spouses or dating partners.

Colorado Domestic Violence Laws - A Defense Lawyer's Guide
@Synergizer Bunny Great post! This definitely should answer the question of “why” on the new filing, I was just getting ready to put an APB for our legal eagles who are on Websleuths!
Domestic Violence = Sentence Enhancement
This tells me DA Stanley is going full guns! Optics wise it raises the heat in the kitchen, just saying!
BM couldn’t be anymore scared at this point! He’s couldn’t have been too happy with this new filing!! How ya feeling now, Barry Morphew? Are we having fun yet, BM? Secrets are coming out one by one!

Tell us where your lovely dead wife is, Barry! MOO
https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/District/Case_Details.cfm?Case_ID=347830F54C5E-19F1-473C-A782-905075937214.jpeg E0727E4A-5D59-40AD-BC09-7695AC63E4EF.jpeg

I heard, read or both somewhere that when a defense attorney takes on a client that they don’t even ask his/hers client if they are guilty but instead ask questions regarding the AA. Can anyone confirm this?

IANAL (so hope the WS attorneys will respond) but I believe this to be true.

As I understand it, an attorney cannot argue something they know to be false. So an attorney can't know a client is guilty and yet present the defense of pure "not guilty".

Not sure if it's actually against the law but at a minimum it is against ethics of the profession.

So I presume a defense atty starts their conversation with the prospective client by saying "don't tell me your version of what happened, just answer my specific questions". And then bases those questions only on response to what information the prosecution has.

Fictional example (from a legal thriller I just read):

Woman is accused of a murder. The reader knows she is completely innocent but does not know who the guilty party is. There seems to be no physical evidence, just circumstantial evidence that point heavily to the accused woman. Woman's attorney thinks they can make a good case for self defense but atty warns woman not to state her innocence in his presence because that would preclude him from being able to argue that she did it but in self defense.

MOO. Correct my misunderstandings please, attorney!

The tree the dog alerted or showed interest on was not on the Morphew's Puma Path property, it was on another property in Monarch River Estates. On this lot map, it is Lot #4 in Phase 1 and is the portion of that lot that has the building envelope drawn on it (situated across Monarch River Estates Drive from Lot #3).

The Morphew's property was Lot #6 in Phase 3.

(Edited to include Phases and id of Morphew's lot)

How convenient to bury something under a soon-to-be-poured house foundation.

Not sure if you're suggesting otherwise, but the new house foundation that was searched in this case, where BM had been working, was not the lot with newly-planted trees in Monarch Estates. That construction was on the east side of Salida.

Not sure if you're suggesting otherwise, but the new house foundation that was searched in this case, where BM had been working, was not the lot with newly-planted trees in Monarch Estates. That construction was on the east side of Salida.

I believe @Tortoise referred to a site where one of the dogs alerted on a tree. That did not occur on the East Salida riverfront job site (where investigators dug up a foundation and where a dog showed interest in stones placed near the riverfront area). Instead the hit on a tree occurred in Monarch River Estates, the same development in which the Morphew's property was situated.

ETA: If you go to Profiling Evil, Story Maps and go to the one for Suzanne Morphew, click on the tab at top for "Andy's Search" and then scroll down on the left to Hit #2 and you can see a photograph of the area of that lot where the hit occurred.

I’d also have to think this was suspicious to Sheriff Speeze because this type of crime barely ever happens in Chaffee County and 50 year old women are rarely targets.

I’ve been meaning to look up a historical Chaffee County crime map to validate this theory. But I’d imagine they are dealing more with drugs, theft, driving incidents, missed court dates and things along those lines.

I agree, daylight abductions of 50-year-old female cyclists is pretty rare.

Probably almost as rare as women abandoning their young children to run away with a mythical lover (Drew Peterson, Patrick Frazee).

@Synergizer Bunny Great post! This definitely should answer the question of “why” on the new filing, I was just getting ready to put an APB for our legal eagles who are on Websleuths!
Domestic Violence = Sentence Enhancement
This tells me DA Stanley is going full guns! Optics wise it raises the heat in the kitchen, just saying!
BM couldn’t be anymore scared at this point! He’s couldn’t have been too happy with this new filing!! How ya feeling now, Barry Morphew? Are we having fun yet, BM? Secrets are coming out one by one!

Tell us where your lovely dead wife is, Barry! MOO
https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/District/Case_Details.cfm?Case_ID=3478View attachment 297880 View attachment 297881
TY! ;) What the adding of additional charges and clarification tells me and should tell Barry is that this case is in the forefront of the DA's office. They are still working on it and will continue to do so until trial.

I'm not sure what Barry will try to do. If he feels that he can't win this case, he may try to make a plea deal where he controls the narrative, which will most likely be that it was an accident and he panicked and then giving up the location of her body/remains.

I just hope that if a plea deal is allowed, it is not lenient. I have been disgusted with some of the plea deals that we have seen. Most recent one that comes to mind is Krystal Kenney. She could have saved a young mother's life. Then, after the fact, she could have turned in her lover boy. Yet, she chose to help him cover up the murder. IMO, she should have gotten a long prison sentence for her involvement. Of course, I realize that PF most probably wouldn't have been convicted without her testimony after the fact.

I just hope that Suzanne's remains are found. This would at least take that bargaining chip away from Barry.

JMO.

Last edited:
I believe we can still post about something on Profiling Evil or The Interview Room?
I just watched a YouTube video with Chris st The Interview Room.
Chris discussed the charge of tampering with a deceased human body and claims her body was mutilated. (To be moved I guess) Has anyone else heard or read that?

I know. I just think BM, as a landscaper with a lot in the ME subdivision, might have used a future homesite for disposal/temporary storage, knowing that a foundation was going to be poured in the near future, further destroying any evidence traces. LE is going to be understandably pretty reluctant to tear up a foundation.

Just coming here with the same question. Amended May 19, "Domestic Violence."

Some may recall from the Patrick Frazee case that "Domestic Violence" applies when the accused and the victim have an intimate relationship.

Domestic violence in Colorado is not treated as an independent crime. Rather, DV is a sentencing enhancement. It increases the punishment for any offense against current or former spouses or dating partners.

Colorado is a mandatory arrest state, which means police must arrest anyone they have probable cause to believe committed domestic violence. It does not matter if the alleged victims recant or wish not to press charges. And while DV charges are pending, defendants will have a protection order taken out against them.

I also won't be surprised if the state eventually adds "Crime of Violence" charges (i.e., mandatory sentence enhancer that provides for a defendant to serve his/her sentence concurrently rather than consecutively).

Colorado Domestic Violence Laws - A Defense Lawyer's Guide

I know. I just think BM, as a landscaper with a lot in the ME subdivision, might have used a future homesite for disposal/temporary storage, knowing that a foundation was going to be poured in the near future, further destroying any evidence traces. LE is going to be understandably pretty reluctant to tear up a foundation.
If you look at the map of the development I posted a page or so back and also the photograph that appears on Profiling Evil, Suzanne Morphew Storymap, Andy's Search, Hit #2... you can see that it appears that the young trees were planted on the front open grassy area of that lot and not within the prescribed "building envelope" for that lot.

Last edited:
Has someone mapped these potential scenes of evidence with a timeline of when they were bought & sold? I am confused about how many locations and actions taken or potential evidence in each. TIA

If you look at the map of the development I posted a page or so back and also the photograph that appears on Profiling Evil, Suzanne Morphew Storymap, Andy's Search, Hit #2... you can see that it appears that the young trees were planted on the front open grassy area of that lot and not within the prescribed "building envelope" for that lot.

I thought the dogs alerted to a spot within the future house site but nothing was found.

I believe @Tortoise referred to a site where one of the dogs alerted on a tree. That did not occur on the East Salida riverfront job site (where investigators dug up a foundation and where a dog showed interest in stones placed near the riverfront area). Instead the hit on a tree occurred in Monarch River Estates, the same development in which the Morphew's property was situated.

ETA: If you go to Profiling Evil, Story Maps and go to the one for Suzanne Morphew, click on the tab at top for "Andy's Search" and then scroll down on the left to Hit #2 and you can see a photograph of the area of that lot where the hit occurred.
In addition to the Monarch River Estate (near PP residence), wasn't there also an alleged dog hit in the Longhorn Ranch Subdivision where BM purchased a lot after SM missing?

In addition to the Monarch River Estate (near PP residence), wasn't there also an alleged dog hit in the Longhorn Ranch Subdivision where BM purchased a lot after SM missing?
Yes, during AM's search there were three alerts or areas where dogs showed interest:
  1. Near the riverfront on the East Salida job site.
  2. At the base of what appears to be a newly planted young evergreen tree on Lot 4 in Phase 1 of Monarch River Estates.
  3. On and/or near a dirt/rock pile on a lot in Longhorn Ranch development.
ETA: According to Profiling Evil story map for Suzanne Morphew (Andy's Search, Cadaver Dog Hits - Hit #1, #2, and #3), there were no excavations for the first two mentioned - the first was considered a "passive" hit and LE ruled there was inadequate interest for probable cause, the second LE ruled the interest to be unfounded -, but an excavation by LE occurred at the third (Longhorn development) and LE reported no remains were discovered.

Last edited:
I believe we can still post about something on Profiling Evil or The Interview Room?
I just watched a YouTube video with Chris st The Interview Room.
Chris discussed the charge of tampering with a deceased human body and claims her body was mutilated. (To be moved I guess) Has anyone else heard or read that?
Without the arrest affidavit, we truly have no idea what the investigators theorized here based on the evidence. I truly hope that CM is only speculating and not making statements of fact with nothing to back up these facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi