Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with the details of the Watts case, but if Watt's mother used the VW law and her status as grandparent of the murdered children to gain visits with her son in jail, I would not be troubled by that or find it strange. I don't believe that BM could claim rights as a victim while in the status of defendant (or convicted murderer). MOO.
Not just that, Watts' mother claimed the life insurance on her son's dead wife since he was the killer and couldn't collect on her.
Apple didn't fall from the tree IMO.

Did Suzanne have life insurance? All those cars, atvs, bikes, trips, swanky haircuts etc, but no life insurance?

Last edited:
Catching up here, but I was going to post almost the same. The ONE VICTIM SUZANNE MORPHEW is dead. Murdered. Had her life snuffed out. She doesn't have 5 or 6 decades of life waiting out there for her to enjoy.

This basically pushes the REAL VICTIM's rights off to some mine shaft somewhere, let's forget about her quickly, we wouldn't want secondary victims to be blindsided by allegations against the person accused of murder.

This is just my opinion.....I think the defense threw them to the wolves, under the bus, however you want to put it. With Barry's apparent approval. Given a pie chart depicting the public good will towards the secondary victims, to my mind a big pie slice was taken out by Barry, like 25 to 50%. IMO. Hope the key lime pie was tasty, Barry, while your kids bear the brunt.

The VICTIM was murdered.
I Agree @NuttMegg In today’s world, it’s too easy to lose sight of the real victim in a lot of crimes. The media does tend to place lots of attention on the perp once trials get started. That’s the reason I changed my avatar, she’s the reason I followed this case from the beginning.

<modsnip - deleted broken quote>
Linda Stanley is newly elected but has spent many years in law enforcement in other jurisdictions. She may not be familiar with 11th District courts. In addition her resume left me with the impression that she never advanced to the prosecution of felony-level charges, and that but for her election she would not have advanced in rank to, say, Chief Trial Deputy or Assistant DA. She left the 10th Judicial District abruptly, briefly pursued private practice, then abandoned it to take a position as a hearing officer in Pueblo (earning a public disciplinary action for her conduct as a private attorney after this appointment). I am sure the judges of the 11th District are aware of her history, and I wonder how much respect they have for her legal judgment as a prosecutor.

Of course, she did hire a very experienced and senior deputy from the 4th Judicial District, Mr. Lindsey.

I am not as confident of the DA as I am of the Deputy, frankly. The more involved Ms. Stanley appears to be in calling the shots, the less confident I will be going forward.

I wonder if Judge Murphy's strong statement about the contents of the Affidavit is a shot across Ms. Stanley's bow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just that, Watts' mother claimed the life insurance on her son's dead wife since he was the killer couldn't collect on her.
Apple, didn't fall from the tree IMO.

Did Suzanne have life insurance? All those cars, atvs, bikes, trips, swanky haircuts etc, but no life insurance?
BBM - you got that ABSOLUTELY right! I think it would have been tough to get life insurance coverage for SM, given her cancer history.

Not just that, Watts' mother claimed the life insurance on her son's dead wife since he was the killer and couldn't collect on her.
Apple, didn't fall from the tree IMO.

I believe SM being a 2x cancer victim, would’ve been hard, if not impossible, to get life insurance.
As a side note, I believe in a missing person’s case, the person has to be missing for a certain number of years
(5-7) prior to being declared deceased, in order for beneficiary to be able to collect life insurance payout.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Linda Stanley is newly elected but has spent many years in law enforcement in other jurisdictions. She may not be familiar with 11th District courts. In addition her resume left me with the impression that she never advanced to the prosecution of felony-level charges, and that but for her election she would not have advanced in rank to, say, Chief Trial Deputy or Assistant DA. She left the 10th Judicial District abruptly, briefly pursued private practice, then abandoned it to take a position as a hearing officer in Pueblo (earning a public disciplinary action for her conduct as a private attorney after this appointment). I am sure the judges of the 11th District are aware of her history, and I wonder how much respect they have for her legal judgment as a prosecutor.

Of course, she did hire a very experienced and senior deputy from the 4th Judicial District, Mr. Lindsey.

I am not as confident of the DA as I am of the Deputy, frankly. The more involved Ms. Stanley appears to be in calling the shots, the less confident I will be going forward.

I wonder if Judge Murphy's strong statement about the contents of the Affidavit is a shot across Ms. Stanley's bow...
Agree.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw3XosnxlfLYRXKenBqYJPnW

Here are guidelines from the FBI on writing an AA.

Haven't caught up again yet (on page 7), but has anyone started working out a timeline from the last time SM was seen in public until the police were called?

I have a lot of questions about the camping trip as it pertains to when BM knew the camping trip was to occur and why the trip was a day late in coming back and when BM knew that, being the biggest two. Did BM plan to kill SM while the daughters were out of state so the girls would be the ones to report their mother missing or to keep them from interfering in some way?
BBM You and me both! I’m positive in my own mind it was not a “church camp” as was initially reported because of COVID. I don’t think it had anything to do with a church period, but it was more like a “get out of dodge” for a few days because of boredom. This is my own opinion. If BM help set up the trip, suggested the trip, encouraged the trip, etc. that may go to premeditation. I’m also of the opinion BM had full intentions of the daughters being the ones to discover and report their mother “missing” when they returned. Because they ran late returning, BM had to involve the neighbor (JR) at the last minute to keep his distance from the initial reporting to LE & 911. If the girls had returned on time, they would have been the ones calling 911. BM uses people, all people for his own self-serving purposes, even meth heads. MOO and my 2cents

We all have our feelings about whether the judge applied a proper definition of "victim", and our own thoughts about what the law should be. But the definition of victim the court MUST apply is in the statute, which was enacted by the General Assembly and signed by the Governor. He cannot and did not make up his own.

Here are the statutory definitions of those the court has responsibility to protect under Colorado law:

24-41-302 (5) "Victim" means any natural person against whom any crime has been perpetrated or attempted, unless the person is accountable for the crime or a crime arising from the same conduct or plan as crime is defined under the laws of this state or of the United States, or, if such person is deceased or incapacitated, the person's spouse, parent, legal guardian, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, significant other, or other lawful representative. For purposes of notification under this part 3, any person under the age of eighteen years is considered incapacitated, unless that person is legally emancipated. It is the intent of the general assembly that this definition of the term "victim" shall apply only to this part 3 and shall not be applied to any other provision of the laws of the state of Colorado that refer to the term "victim".

(6) "Victim's immediate family" means the spouse, any child by birth or adoption, any stepchild, the parent, the stepparent, a sibling, a legal guardian, significant other, or a lawful representative of the victim.

(7) "Witness" means any natural person:

(a) Having knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of facts relating to any crime;
(b) Whose declaration under oath is received or has been received as evidence for any purpose;
(c) Who has reported any crime to any peace officer, correctional officer, or judicial officer;
(d) Who has been served with a subpoena issued under the authority of any court in this state, of any other state, or of the United States; or
(e) Who would be believed by any reasonable person to be an individual described in paragraph (a), (b), (c), or (d) of this subsection (7).
Thank you @CGray123 I wondered about the state’s definition of victim. Informative post.

I see you guys have the same reading list as me. Linda Stanley won an election. This case can make her, but I think she needs direction from others far more experienced. If there are any big guns available, maybe someone willing to come out of retirement to assist with the prosecution, I think she should pull out all the stops to get the best on board.

I find the difference between different country's justice systems really interesting ,particularly between the U.K and U.S.A.
In England,as soon as someone is arrested we get no more information about the case until the trial.

I wonder if the Morman's have supported keeping the AA sealed in order to protect the girls and in the hope they will make contact with them so they can offer them support.

I have to say, I think our system (Australia, like the UK, has sub judice) leads to less challenges over a fair trial.

When the public information flow stops between charging the defendant and the trial (other than brief mentions about intermediary procedures) there is little trouble finding an impartial jury.

And when the trial starts and everything allowable comes out, the information flow is unrestricted. So we still learn everything that happened. We just need to wait.

I see you guys have the same reading list as me. Linda Stanley won an election. This case can make her, but I think she needs direction from others far more experienced. If there are any big guns available, maybe someone willing to come out of retirement to assist with the prosecution, I think she should pull out all the stops to get the best on board.
Agree. Small town big murder. The DA in Idaho Vallow case got the biggest gun on board he could.
The public wants these wanton murderers caught, prosecuted and off the streets forever.

I believe SM being a 2x cancer victim, would’ve been hard if not impossible to get life insurance.
As a side note, I believe in a missing person’s case, the person has to be missing for a certain number of years prior to being declared deceased, in order for beneficiary to be able to collect life insurance payout.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

We have a court procedure here where a family can go to court after a year or so and ask that the court declare a person deceased - providing all relevant info, of course. The court can make the decision to shorten that 7 year waiting period, if it agrees the missing person must be deceased and the court chooses to make the declaration (preumably it would need to be convinced that no family member is involved in the disappearance).

I wonder if there is something similar in the US.

Calling all Bobs with Cats:

Does this compute?

If someone used a Bobcat at a jobsite, attached an auger bit, and drove away with it, trailered, late at night on a Friday night, perhaps revving a diesel engine loud enough to garner a neighbor's attention....

And used that Bobcat overnight to dig deep holes....

And somehow broke a fitting or plate whilst drilling into Colorado bedrock....

And returned the partially disabled Bobcat to its original jobsite

Could another worker manage to rake a nice soft sandy beach area without noticing say a faultline on that Bobcat?

Could that person be constantly worried the damage would increase or be found out, pushing that person to insist on a soft job and, still worried, call it off?

Sending other worker home (giving her a ride home since he had picked her up) because he needed to return to the site to retrieve the Bobcat and bring it in for CYA repair?

I don't think Barry meant to break a Bobcat OR have a witness watch him repair it.

Loose End #1: MG

Loose End #2: JP.

Solution, send them to Broomfield. Wall repair not required. Staying away from Salida, required. For the first 48 hours.

Begs the question -- why'd he need CC sent away? What did CC see or know or not even realize he saw or knew? Barry bought two days of silence.... husssssssh money indeed....

In sum, Barry may have dug holes with intention Friday night.... for Part 1 of a really ugly plan....

Next day, no Bobcat. Just a shovel. Backfill by hand, plant a tree, arrange a couple basis rocks. Done.

Why was the Bobcat broken, Barry?

And WHERE IS YOUR WIFE?

All JMO

Last edited:
Ms. Stanley appears to be in calling the shots, the less confident I will be going forward.

^^rsbm

I think the real issue here is the volume of the AA, regardless of who filed it!

I have a different take on the volume, and I think it might relate to the no-body homicide of Kelsie Schelling (2013).

Stanley spent several years in Pueblo County where she left with a heavy heart that no charges had been filed against Kelsie's killer. It took almost 6 years for the acting District Attorney to finally file charges, and pleased to report that her killer was convicted of 1st-degree murder earlier this year.

IMO, the case finally moved forward with no more evidence than they had in 2013. And it was no secret that Stanley disagreed with those that sat on this case.

This was just a thought I had when thinking how BM's AA seemed to include every page from the file. MOO

GUILTY - CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2

I think the real issue here is the volume of the AA, regardless of who filed it!
RSBM
139 pages seems unprecedented, I'm glad the judge is being extra careful. We are all anxious to read the AA, it is disappointing, but it's not about us.

Is there one to do the ironing ?
Group discount perhaps? I'm in...

I wonder if the stores were rationing bleach purchases to one item? IMO
Perhaps Barry had to procure more than one bottle of bleach from more than one store?
East Coast here, heavily populated area, very little product available to resupply. As I recall items were not at an acceptable restock level until mid-summer, the shelves were always easily half empty. I can't imagine a remote area. I was in a Home Depot store yesterday. The clerk says they are still feeling the repercussions of Covid. Serious lack of product for them...

Last edited:
^^rsbm

I have a different take on the volume, and I think it might relate to the no-body homicide of Kelsie Schelling (2013).

IMO, the case finally moved forward with no more evidence than they had in 2013. And it was no secret that Stanley disagreed with those that sat on this case.

This was just a thought I had when thinking how BM's AA seemed to include every page from the file. MOO

GUILTY - CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2
This was a great prosecution and a righteous verdict!

In regard to the relevance issues raised by Judge Murphy in the Morphew case, I think this quote by the lead prosecutor after the Lucas trial was significant:

"Prosecutor Michelle Chostner said she was surprised the defense did not call witnesses but that she believed that the two weeks of evidence the jury heard about the domestic-violence relationship between Lucas and Schelling gave them context regarding the relationship and 'spoke to them' regarding the verdict." (Channel 7-The Denver Channel)

I don't believe Judge Murphy would deny the prosecution similar latitude as to contextual evidence so long as it's otherwise admissible in evidence. My speculation is that the AA contained evidence regarding the Morphew marriage that was too remote in time to be relevant, among other evidentiary problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louiwebb